News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

The DE 16 bridge over the Nanticoke River between US 13 and DE 36 is closed for deck repair.

https://www.wrde.com/story/45112356/construction-repairs-for-a-bridge-on-route-16-causes-detours-in-greenwood
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 28, 2021, 12:23:28 PM
DelDOT is suggesting replacing the DE 1 / DE 273 interchange with a SPUI. They've also included an extra signalized right turn lane coming off the DE 1 SB ramp to provide access to DE 7 SB, a feature deliberately left out in previous concepts. If built, the SPUI would be the state's first.

Workshop Presentation

I noticed that they claim this design allows the Park and Ride to remain.  Alternatives 1, 2 & 3 all have similar conditions at the 273 & 1 light, but they said the P&R couldn't remain.  Modified Alternatives 1, 2 & 3 don't really change the proposed redesign of DE 7 North approaching and north of DE 273, yet allow the P&R to remain. 

The SPUI doesn't really change the location of the stop line for 273 East.  For traffic on 273 West wanting to turn left onto DE 7 South, they have a very limited area to access to the dual lane left turn lane.

I don't have a problem with the SPUI itself, but it doesn't really appear to resolve some of the objectives of the project; namely the issues of traffic between 1 & 7.  Alternative 4 actually does a decent job with that aspect, albeit at the expense of an extra intersection to access DE 273 East.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2021, 10:43:10 PM
I noticed that they claim this design allows the Park and Ride to remain.  Alternatives 1, 2 & 3 all have similar conditions at the 273 & 1 light, but they said the P&R couldn't remain.  Modified Alternatives 1, 2 & 3 don't really change the proposed redesign of DE 7 North approaching and north of DE 273, yet allow the P&R to remain. 

As far as I understand it they've been trying to move the P&R to the mall and figured now was the time to yank it, though it seems counterintuitive since it's further from the residential areas it's serving.

I don't have a problem with the SPUI itself, but it doesn't really appear to resolve some of the objectives of the project; namely the issues of traffic between 1 & 7.  Alternative 4 actually does a decent job with that aspect, albeit at the expense of an extra intersection to access DE 273 East.

I've dealt with this area extensively for the past several years and am pretty confident the SPUI is the way to go. The biggest issue with the ramp off DE 1 south is the left turn to DE 273 east clogging the ramp all the way back onto the freeway due to the single lane configuration and the two signals it has to cross to get through the interchange fully. Alternative 4 still requires all traffic bound for DE 273 east to neck down into a single lane, then runs it all through three total signals to exit the interchange. The SPUI gives that traffic two full lanes through a single signal to exit the interchange.
The traffic between 1 & 7 I think is going to benefit greatly from the dedicated right turn lane coupled with the reduced congestion from eastbound traffic, not to mention the Newtown Road ramps helping to split the load.
👉😎👉

bluecountry

So is the DE 295/95 project done?
If so, well done though I can't help but think 95 should be 6 lanes to DE-1, then 5 lanes until after the rest stop.
Speaking of which, what is the construction going on just north of the rest stop?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on November 03, 2021, 09:26:09 PM
Speaking of which, what is the construction going on just north of the rest stop?

Widening and replacing the overpass for Chapman Road.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Quote from: ixnay on November 02, 2021, 08:07:20 PM
The DE 16 bridge over the Nanticoke River between US 13 and DE 36 is closed for deck repair.

https://www.wrde.com/story/45112356/construction-repairs-for-a-bridge-on-route-16-causes-detours-in-greenwood

(For DE 16) TRAFFIC ALERT - Sussex County - UPDATED: Portion of Route 16 will be Closed for Bridge Deck Repair

QuoteTimes and Dates: 7 AM on Tuesday, November 2 until 11 PM on Wednesday, November 24, pending weather. (The work has been extended to Wednesday, November 24)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 04, 2021, 03:20:28 PM
(For I-95 SB) TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - Temporary Closure of Newark Toll Plaza EZ Pass Lanes for Patching and Striping

Viewing the traffic cams today, the EZ Pass express lanes were open.  Viewing the cams right now, they are open also.  And this is a good weather week for doing what they need to do.  So not sure what's happening with these closures that aren't happening...

74/171FAN

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

kernals12

With the improvements being planned on US 113, my dream of a Delmarva North South Freeway is getting closer to reality

But we have to be careful not to let Maryland know about this possibility, or else they'll back out for fear of losing toll revenue from 95.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kernals12 on November 13, 2021, 11:13:53 AM

But we have to be careful not to let Maryland know about this possibility, or else they'll back out for fear of losing toll revenue from 95.

How could this possibly impact 95 tolling in Maryland? Is there a large number of motorists that take 95 North over the Susquehanna or thru Baltimore to go towards Southern Delaware that suddenly won't with 113 being limited access?

froggie

^ He may be referring to "through traffic", conveniently forgetting that any such traffic using the Delmarva will still have to contend with the CBBT toll and about 2-dozen signals on the Virginia Eastern Shore.

So no, it won't have a big impact on I-95 MD...

Something else he's conveniently forgetting:  a Milford bypass is dead.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: froggie on November 13, 2021, 03:03:37 PM
^ He may be referring to "through traffic", conveniently forgetting that any such traffic using the Delmarva will still have to contend with the CBBT toll and about 2-dozen signals on the Virginia Eastern Shore.

I played with the options for a bit.  If one is already in Delmarva, it'll add well over 1 hour just to get back to 95 in regular traffic.  There's no reason to avoid lower Delaware now.

If one is below the CBBT, depending on their starting/ending point, times are relatively equal if one takes 95 or drives thru Delmarva into Delaware.  But the CBBT toll, along with the DE 1 toll, would be equal or greater than the 95 tolls.  A limited access 113 would speed things up a little bit, but over 6+ hours and hundreds of miles, too many variables to deal with.

kernals12

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 13, 2021, 03:15:29 PM

I played with the options for a bit.  If one is already in Delmarva, it'll add well over 1 hour just to get back to 95 in regular traffic.  There's no reason to avoid lower Delaware now.

If one is below the CBBT, depending on their starting/ending point, times are relatively equal if one takes 95 or drives thru Delmarva into Delaware.  But the CBBT toll, along with the DE 1 toll, would be equal or greater than the 95 tolls.  A limited access 113 would speed things up a little bit, but over 6+ hours and hundreds of miles, too many variables to deal with.

I-95 between Richmond and Baltimore, particularly between Fredericksburg and the Beltway, is one of the worst traffic bottlenecks in the country.

A Delmarva Freeway, combined with the planned I-87, would offer an alternative to that mess. Not only would it be faster, but the travel times would be more consistent, which is crucial for modern just-in-time supply chains.

sprjus4

Quote from: kernals12 on November 13, 2021, 03:30:35 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 13, 2021, 03:15:29 PM

I-95 between Richmond and Baltimore, particularly between Fredericksburg and the Beltway, is one of the worst traffic bottlenecks in the country.

A Delmarva Freeway, combined with the planned I-87, would offer an alternative to that mess. Not only would it be faster, but the travel times would be more consistent, which is crucial for modern just-in-time supply chains.
Agreed... but there would be no viable competition with I-95 unless the entirety of US-13 / US-113 was upgraded through Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia.

This project will control the access in some areas of US-113 and add interchanges to replace many signals, but there will not be a full freeway throughout, and either way is only limited to Delaware.

There was an original proposal to construct a full freeway alignment down to the Maryland state line, but has been scaled back significantly due to opposition to such a project. Not that I agree, I am fully in the position there should be a freeway into Maryland, but that's simply not reality.

RoadPelican

As for the best state to drive on the US 113 to US 13 corridor, It would have to be Maryland, only 6 stoplights in their 38 mile stretch of US 113.  Good planning by them with the Berlin Bypass in the 1950's, the Snow Hill Bypass in the 1970's.  The early 2000's widening is great especially with the interchange at MD 589 and the newly widened stretch between Snow Hill and Berlin features many J-turns and RIROs.  Only one stoplight from south of Berlin to Pocomoke City.

This is a far cry from what drivers face in Virginia and Delaware.

sprjus4

US-13 in Maryland (between Salisbury and Pocomoke) is higher quality than US-113, IMO, given it has limited access throughout without private driveway connections, then of course the full freeway bypass around Salisbury.

The only problem that makes US-13 less viable, however, is Delaware.

US-113 in Maryland is still a high quality roadway though.

If a true freeway was ever sought after on the Eastern Shore, I'd say use a majority of Delaware's US-113, a majority of Maryland's US-13, then build a connector between the two north of Salisbury.

US-13 in Virginia is a joke - and they have still continued to add new signals.

vdeane

Quote from: kernals12 on November 13, 2021, 03:30:35 PM
After what happened in March 2020, I'm of the opinion that just-in-time supply chains should be outlawed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 13, 2021, 08:42:07 PM
US-13 in Maryland (between Salisbury and Pocomoke) is higher quality than US-113, IMO, given it has limited access throughout without private driveway connections, then of course the full freeway bypass around Salisbury.

If a true freeway was ever sought after on the Eastern Shore, I'd say use a majority of Delaware's US-113, a majority of Maryland's US-13, then build a connector between the two north of Salisbury.

13 in VA on the north side of the CBBT is absolutely miserable.  One local yokel triggers the light to turn red at various signals through there.  It's absurd and infuriating.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

Quote from: Rothman on November 14, 2021, 01:21:53 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on November 13, 2021, 08:42:07 PM

13 in VA on the north side of the CBBT is absolutely miserable.  One local yokel triggers the light to turn red at various signals through there.  It's absurd and infuriating.
Pretty much. After slogging through 2-4 signals in a town that are definitely not timed together, the speed limit bumps up to 55 mph, you might get to cruise for a few minutes at 65-70 mph, then you hit the next town, and repeat. 60-ish miles later, you enter Maryland, get to US-113, and finally where you can set the cruise at 70 mph and go on about your day without any more interruptions, at least not nearly as frequently.

Then you hit Delaware, and it's Virginia's situation on repeat, except with significantly more traffic.

VDOT seemingly treats US-13 as a local roadway, and not as a high quality arterial highway with a goal of limiting signals through RIRO, J-Cuts, and even strategically placed interchanges at high volume intersections. A few town bypasses as well. Even without a full freeway treatment, US-13 needs some sort of upgrading in Virginia.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 14, 2021, 01:55:11 AM

VDOT seemingly treats US-13 as a local roadway, and not as a high quality arterial highway with a goal of limiting signals through RIRO, J-Cuts, and even strategically placed interchanges at high volume intersections. A few town bypasses as well. Even without a full freeway treatment, US-13 needs some sort of upgrading in Virginia.

There could be some intention with that. VDOT is on the mindset that they don't mind people visiting the area and enjoying the ride across the bay, but they don't want to make it an easy alternative to 95. I think the locals that live in the area prefer it that way also, and want to discourage any change it could become a suburb of Norfolk.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.