News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD: Proposal to merge the Ohio Valley board

Started by Scott5114, September 04, 2022, 07:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shall the Ohio Valley board be removed and its contents incorporated into other boards?

For the proposal - YES
66 (70.2%)
Against the proposal - NO
28 (29.8%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: September 11, 2022, 07:06:00 PM

Scott5114

It was brought up recently that Ohio Valley is, unlike any of the other boards, primarily made up of split states. Some users have said that splitting states between different boards makes things more difficult. If they have a statewide interest, they have to check two different forums. When posting a new topic it can be difficult to decide which board it should go in. Closing the Ohio Valley board would thus greatly reduce the number of split states.

Thus, the following is hereby proposed:

• Kentucky, in its entirety, will be moved to one of the surrounding regions, as determined by a poll on the subject.
  • Central/Southern/Western West Virginia will be moved to one of the surrounding regions, as determined by a poll on the subject.
  • The remaining states (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania) will be moved to the regions the remainder of the state is in. (PA will go to Northeast, all other states to Midwest.)

Edited to add: The intent would be for the border to be "fuzzed" around the metro areas. Metro Cincinnati topics would go to Midwest and metro Louisville topics would go to whichever board Kentucky ends up in.

This poll will be open for seven days. Feel free to leave your feedback in this thread–we want to make sure this change makes the forum easier to use for you!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Things are fine the way they are. Leave them be. My vote is "no."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

Since it's a real possibly that this change could happen now, sticking with my yes vote like in the other thread. The Ohio River is a better border between regions than some imaginary line just south of I-70 that we can't decide on where it is. And it's better for statewide discussions, like the "[State] Notes" threads.

As for which board to move KY and WV to, IMO Kentucky is much more southern than midwestern, and the rest of WV could be moved to Mid-Atlantic so it can be with Eastern WV.

And then the two major bridge projects threads (I-69 Evansville, and Brent Spence Bridge in Cincinnati), it could go either way. Evansville and Cincinnati are the largest cities concerned, so it could be moved to Midwest. But KTC is the one maintaining the bridges, so it could go in whatever board KY gets moved to, assuming it's not Midwest.

vdeane

Since PA would be moving Northeast, would this be just the part in Ohio Valley, or all of it, including the part in Midwest/Great Lakes?  And if the latter, what would that mean for the part of NY in Midwest/Great Lakes (which would become an exclave if not also moved)?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ran4sh

I would just move Kentucky to Midwest due to the projects that cross the Ohio River into Midwest states. Whereas the Kentucky-Tennessee border isn't really splitting up anything major.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on September 04, 2022, 09:00:40 PM
Since PA would be moving Northeast, would this be just the part in Ohio Valley, or all of it, including the part in Midwest/Great Lakes?  And if the latter, what would that mean for the part of NY in Midwest/Great Lakes (which would become an exclave if not also moved)?

Yes, the idea would be to have all of NY and PA in Northeast.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Wait, after years of people bitching about all the ways they don't like the forum regions, something is actually going to change?

tylert120

Makes sense. I check the Northeast board for the PA thread and PA Turnpike thread, but then check the Ohio Valley board for Pittsburgh-related posts. I say put PA in the northeast where it belongs, and reassign the other states.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

MATraveler128

I'd say the board should be merged. Maybe merge the SW Pennsylvania thread in with the rest of the state.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

74/171FAN

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on September 05, 2022, 09:03:04 AM
I'd say the board should be merged. Maybe merge the SW Pennsylvania thread in with the rest of the state.

I would not support making any changes to the SW PA thread.  The general PA thread (like other general state threads) is huge enough as it is.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Henry

I like the ambiguity that this board has created, so I'm against the proposal.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mrsman

mrsman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 05, 2022, 09:18:27 AM

I would not support making any changes to the SW PA thread.  The general PA thread (like other general state threads) is huge enough as it is.

I don't think the individual "SW PA" thread is to be merged into other threads, but that the SW PA thread (and any other threads dealing with Western PA) would move to the Northeastern states board.  All southwest PA topics could still be kept together, without being included in a Midwestern board.

skluth

I've always found the Ohio Valley section here weird as it's not typically a region when discussing the United States (as many states better fit other regions as mentioned above). I like SkyPesos's idea of moving Kentucky to the South and West Virginia to the Mid-Atlantic as that's (IMO) each state's best fit though both are difficult to place. It could also be argued adding Kentucky to the Great Lakes region as there are fewer joint projects between Kentucky and Tennessee despite sharing a long border. But I'm good with whatever the consensus is.

mrsman

Should a notice about this poll be put in place in Great Lakes (and possibly other affected forums) since they will be largely affected by new threads?  It may also lead to a larger sample of the forum population finding out about the poll.  Even though I have my opinion, I do want to do want to follow what the majority want to do.

Great Lakes, of course, is most affected since most of the split-states in OV are states that are split with Great Lakes, and it would be good to inform IL, IN, and OH folks.

Mr_Northside

After about 13-14 years, I'm pretty used to things the way they are... and have a pretty decent idea what I'm gonna get here.  Re-arranging may put some things out-of-sight / out-of mind.   So, my vote is "no".

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 89 on September 05, 2022, 02:22:45 AM
Wait, after years of people bitching about all the ways they don't like the forum regions, something is actually going to change?

No, not necessarily. It's a vote, and while majority will probably rule, ultimately it's a non-binding vote and the admins will ultimately decide to make the changes or leave as is.

ilpt4u

Living in Southern IL, I'll vote "Yes"  to dissolve the Ohio Valley

I'd almost like to IL moved into Central States over Midwest, but I dont think that will happen

In had started a Southern Illinois notes. That could be switched to a Downstate Illinois notes. I lean yes. It's easier to divide Illinois this way instead of which interstate..80 74 72 70?

Great Lakes Roads

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Those who are crying the loudest don't like in "this region" and outside of playing on Google Earth & Maps, have not even visited this region.
:thumbdown:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

ilpt4u

Quote from: 3467 on September 05, 2022, 05:40:15 PM
In had started a Southern Illinois notes. That could be switched to a Downstate Illinois notes. I lean yes. It's easier to divide Illinois this way instead of which interstate..80 74 72 70?
Growing up in Chicagoland, I would have said anything south of I-80 is Southern IL

Having lived in Carbondale for 6 years now, I'd say south of either US 50 or I-70 is Southern IL

SkyPesos

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 05, 2022, 09:48:33 PM
Growing up in Chicagoland, I would have said anything south of I-80 is Southern IL
Reminds me of NYCers thinking anything north of Westchester County is upstate, and Bostonians thinking Worcester is Central MA and anything west of that is Western MA.

webny99

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 05, 2022, 09:18:27 AM

I agree with you there, but it could remain intact and just be moved to Northeast board if this ends up happening.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.