Duluth I-35 construction in the 70s & 80s

Started by texaskdog, February 24, 2015, 03:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

texaskdog

TheHighwayMan3561

Here's a photo from 1962, with a small idea of how the freeway may have looked in its original elevated proposal.

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

texaskdog

Cool photo!

Cant find any info about the plan to go to 68th street

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: texaskdog on February 24, 2015, 04:41:28 PM

I sort of wonder if this was just a short-lived pipe dream that was dialed back shortly after it was proposed (with no official documents ever written) after it was discovered how unfeasible it was.

Although with that in mind I have no knowledge of the history of the US 61 expressway from Duluth to Two Harbors, whether that was built as a separate project or if that was built with an eventual (failed) I-35 extension in mind; what I do know is that the expressway dates to the early 1960s, for what that's worth.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

texaskdog

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 24, 2015, 04:53:56 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 24, 2015, 04:41:28 PM

I sort of wonder if this was just a short-lived pipe dream that was dialed back shortly after it was proposed (with no official documents ever written) after it was discovered how unfeasible it was.

Although with that in mind I have no knowledge of the history of the US 61 expressway from Duluth to Two Harbors, whether that was built as a separate project or if that was built with an eventual (failed) I-35 extension in mind; what I do know is that the expressway dates to the early 1960s, for what that's worth.

Maybe Froggie knows.

None of these answer it but they seem interesting anyway

http://www.deadpioneer.com/routes/US61/historicus61se/northshorescenic/northshorescenic.html

http://talesoftheroad.com/tag/two-harbors/#sthash.qxhnBLal.dpbs

http://www.deadpioneer.com/routes/US61/us61history.htm

http://zenithcity.com/zenith-city-history-archives/minnesotas-arrowhead/highway-61-old-highway-1/

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: texaskdog on April 28, 2015, 01:43:59 PM
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/content/construction-duluths-freeway-drips-stories

So I guess that answers a few questions regarding the US 61 expressway. It was a separate project that MnDOT then said "hey, we have this expressway, let's connect I-35 to it" that never happened. I have to figure if that did happen that I-35 probably would have been extended to Two Harbors eventually, as the 61 expressway only has a handful of spaced-out intersections and next to nothing in the way of previous development to have to work around.

texaskdog

Very true.  It could have easily become a freeway, but that part of 61 never really gets congested.  I'm curious about the process of turning back US 61 to the state.

NE2

Quote from: texaskdog on April 28, 2015, 09:14:36 PM
I'm curious about the process of turning back US 61 to the state.
When was it not owned by the state?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheHighwayMan3561

Very true.  It could have easily become a freeway, but that part of 61 never really gets congested.

Yeah. All the tourist traffic is on the Lake/St. Louis CR 61 scenic route along that stretch. I guess I lived up there long enough that I pretty much only use the expressway anymore when I go up that way unless I'm in the mood for the scenic route.

Honestly, the expressway heading southbound has some pretty great lake views anyway. Probably just as good as the scenic route.

Highway63

Quote from: NE2 on April 28, 2015, 09:16:12 PM
I'm curious about the process of turning back US 61 to the state.
When was it not owned by the state?
He may mean truncation of US 61 to Wyoming MN and turning US 61 north of Duluth to MN 61.

The Ghostbuster

I've been through the tunnels during vacations up to Two Harbors, and I find them quite impressive.

TheHighwayMan3561

One thing I've had trouble visualizing is the configuration of the temporary end of the 35 extension at 10th Ave E. I suppose 20 years will do it but there is no evidence anymore that the freeway ever ended there.

NE2

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 01, 2015, 03:46:45 PM
One thing I've had trouble visualizing is the configuration of the temporary end of the 35 extension at 10th Ave E. I suppose 20 years will do it but there is no evidence anymore that the freeway ever ended there.
The extension was already under construction, but here: http://historicaerials.com?layer=1991&zoom=18&lat=46.7963&lon=-92.0858

I suppose if you stand at the intersection of 10th and Superior and look towards the tunnel you can imagine how it would have looked. Is it possible that the slabs of concrete on London Road here remain from the old configuration? They appear to be at the correct angle, but they're also aligned with London Road itself.

froggie

IIRC, they didn't let traffic past the Lake/5th interchange until it was fully completed out to 26th and London Rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.