News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Vandalized signs

Started by hotdogPi, September 02, 2013, 02:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

There was actually a sign once upon a time that pointed to Clinton going left and Prosperity going right. It was located at the intersection of US 76 and SC 121. I had a black and white photo of the signage there at the time, as it got circulated pretty widely after Clinton's election and the newspaper where I worked received a copy with a submitted op-ed. I saved the pic, had it up on the wall in my office, but don't know what I've done with it. Several moves and job changes have taken their toll on where many of my things are stored. I drove through that intersection two years ago and the signage pictured in that 80's photo was gone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2014, 03:27:18 PM
There was actually a sign once upon a time that pointed to Clinton going left and Prosperity going right. It was located at the intersection of US 76 and SC 121. I had a black and white photo of the signage there at the time, as it got circulated pretty widely after Clinton's election and the newspaper where I worked received a copy with a submitted op-ed. I saved the pic, had it up on the wall in my office, but don't know what I've done with it. Several moves and job changes have taken their toll on where many of my things are stored. I drove through that intersection two years ago and the signage pictured in that 80's photo was gone.

Wow, interesting. I never knew that. So the bumper sticker I saw was probably taken from that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Two goodies from across the pond...Found this one on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/9190307@N05/12957105244/

And it's not complete without Banksy...

talllguy

Here is an example of vandalism I noticed just yesterday. I hate seeing this stuff.

Ian

Fuck frats? Fuck GDI's...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

Quote from: Ian on April 02, 2014, 10:19:39 AM

Hey now. I never felt the urge to join a frat when I was in college. Just wasn't my thing.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on April 02, 2014, 10:53:27 AM

Hey now. I never felt the urge to join a frat when I was in college. Just wasn't my thing.

Neither did I.  I just joined the nuts at the student-run radio station instead.  :spin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Ian

Quote from: hbelkins on April 02, 2014, 10:53:27 AM

My hostility was more aimed at the person who put that graffiti on the sign. I don't care one way or the other whether someone chooses to go Greek or not, although I would recommend it. I just take offense whenever the Greek community gets bashed like this.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jeffandnicole

Maybe it said Fuck Rats at first.  Probably an anti-union thing.

agentsteel53

what is a GDI?

fuck Arialveticverstesk on that sign.  that's worse than the graffiti.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 02, 2014, 12:44:44 PM
Maybe it said Fuck Rats at first.  Probably an anti-union thing.

that would be one hell of an insertion, getting the new F to flow completely smoothly with the rest of the strokes.

jake@aaroads.com

Zeffy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 02, 2014, 01:14:40 PM
fuck Arialveticverstesk on that sign.  that's worse than the graffiti.

Damn, I was going to mention this, but I was posting in the Concept Work thread. The Helvetica 'R' is so noticeable because of the way it... well looks.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

talllguy

I am also wondering why the "Rd" is slightly smaller. Is that common?

Zeffy

Quote from: talllguy on April 02, 2014, 01:30:21 PM
I am also wondering why the "Rd" is slightly smaller. Is that common?

Good eye, I didn't even catch that. I don't think that's a feature of Arialveticverstesk (most of the others I've seen do have the same letter heights), so I'm going to guess with that's actually a design error.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 02, 2014, 01:14:40 PM
what is a GDI?

"I" stands for "Independent." You can probably figure out the other two letters.

It means someone who doesn't join a fraternity in college.

agentsteel53

never heard of the term... then again at my school, Greek membership was maybe 30-40%.

jake@aaroads.com

talllguy

Update. Reported this morning. Fixed within 5 hours!

agentsteel53

still Arialveticverstesk.  where's the fix?  quick, someone graffiti the correct legend in the correct font.  (with a few stencils it should not be too too difficult.)

jake@aaroads.com

talllguy

We have some real jokesters in Baltimore...

Note: 3-Way. Is that still used much?

roadfro

Quote from: talllguy on April 04, 2014, 09:46:12 PM

Current MUTCD just has "All Way" plaque. The standard now is to use the warning plaques "Traffic from left (right) does not stop" or "Oncoming traffic does not stop" or "Cross traffic does not stop".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Brandon

Quote from: roadfro on April 04, 2014, 10:41:58 PM
Quote from: talllguy on April 04, 2014, 09:46:12 PM

Current MUTCD just has "All Way" plaque. The standard now is to use the warning plaques "Traffic from left (right) does not stop" or "Oncoming traffic does not stop" or "Cross traffic does not stop".

Someone should tell the City of Aurora, Illinois this.  They are famous for using "2-WAY" plaques for stop signs instead of "Cross Traffic Does Not Stop".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

theline

^^ It looks like everybody stops here, so an additional message about some traffic not stopping would not be inaccurate. There is a one-way street involved, so it's only a 3-way stop. "All way" would actually be more informative, though.

talllguy

Posted in my neighborhood facebook group:

Click for large view
- Uploaded with Skitch

Mr. Matté

(click images for full size)

Just spray paint near markings that don't block any important information, but kinda funny to me. And now that I see the first picture, the yield line should be behind the crosswalk markings.

wisvishr0

The crosswalks are almost always before the yield line in the UK:

Not sure which I like better.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.