News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

This sort of counts, I think. There's a bunch of random arrow signs posted around the Byrd Park area of Richmond, Virginia. They're not goofs since there's no context, and there's no evidence anything else was posted along with the arrows.

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 28, 2013, 10:46:38 PM
This sort of counts, I think. There's a bunch of random arrow signs posted around the Byrd Park area of Richmond, Virginia. They're not goofs since there's no context, and there's no evidence anything else was posted along with the arrows.

Hmmm, too new for the Goog. Maybe they're planning on installing shields at a later date. Perhaps USBR 1 is getting realigned to follow R3 across the Boulevard Bridge (but it's dumb to not put the USBR 1 and R3 shields together)? Maps of current alignments here: http://www.richmond.com/recreation/article_bf1d480d-7b17-5651-8c6f-9a5a33aad617.html?mode=image&photo= Are the other arrows also along R3?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadfro

Quote from: Zeffy on December 28, 2013, 10:51:53 PM
Finderne Ave, Bridgewater / Manville, New Jersey, I present the 'ENTRANCE' variant of the 'ONE WAY' sign:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m8!1m3!1d3!2d-74.576564!3d40.568042!2m2!1f102.26!2f86.69!4f75!2m9!1e1!2m4!1smrs8x-kH7rWlWMBcwnKxfw!2e0!9m1!6sFinderne+Avenue!5m2!1smrs8x-kH7rWlWMBcwnKxfw!2e0&fid=5

Since the picture quality is so shitty, I made a mockup of what the sign says:

Reminds me of a couple similar signs that were located in Verdi, NV, which said "FREEWAY" instead. These were on the two-way I-80 frontage road that ends in an off ramp, so one should only travel one direction to get back to the Interstate.

Google Street View of location, which now shows the old signs removed in favor of proper trailblazers back to I-80.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: NE2 on December 28, 2013, 11:05:39 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 28, 2013, 10:46:38 PM

Hmmm, too new for the Goog. Maybe they're planning on installing shields at a later date. Perhaps USBR 1 is getting realigned to follow R3 across the Boulevard Bridge (but it's dumb to not put the USBR 1 and R3 shields together)? Maps of current alignments here: http://www.richmond.com/recreation/article_bf1d480d-7b17-5651-8c6f-9a5a33aad617.html?mode=image&photo= Are the other arrows also along R3?

I think they are. I'll have to go back and check, though. (USBR 1 is actually the reason there isn't a R1, too.)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

Saw this on Friday outside the Wharf seafood restaurant in Alexandria, Virginia, where I was having lunch. I just found the sign interesting and kind of amusing. If there were flooding as far up as this sign I think I'd have retrieved my car and gotten out of there well before the water ever got that far!

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mass_citizen

Zeffy

Found this while in North Brunswick today... not much to be said except that at least it was in a green background to signify it was guiding you... kinda...

Then in that same complex, this sign looks to be a guide sign, yet is posted with regulatory sign colors. And wouldn't a US 1 shield have sufficed here?

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

mass_citizen

I've noticed that shopping malls love creating their own sign standards.

1995hoo

I was downloading videos from my dashcam and culling through them and I found I finally got a decent picture of the funky turn arrows at this intersection in Alexandria. I've passed them hundreds of times but never got a good picture until this one.

Location is just outside the Holiday Inn shown on this map: http://goo.gl/maps/JFTPj  The arrows reflect the hotel's driveway adding an extra access point to and from this intersection.

I just find the arrows unique.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Interesting VMS in Newark, New Jersey...

To quote from the article in which I found it,
QuoteEssex County Prosecutors office display signs asking for information on the homicides of Zainee Hailey, 13, and Kasson Mormon, 15, who were shot and killed on Christmas night at 102 Schley Street in Newark. The scene on Friday, December, 27, 2013. Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger

agentsteel53

crap, I totally forgot to commit a homicide that day.  maybe it's good for 2113?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

elsmere241

DelDOT puts those signs up here and there to say a lane or a ramp will be closed in the near future.  What bugs me is that they don't give the day of the week.

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Zeffy on December 31, 2013, 01:03:56 PM
Interesting VMS in Newark, New Jersey...

To quote from the article in which I found it,
QuoteEssex County Prosecutors office display signs asking for information on the homicides of Zainee Hailey, 13, and Kasson Mormon, 15, who were shot and killed on Christmas night at 102 Schley Street in Newark. The scene on Friday, December, 27, 2013. Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger

Would make me want to get a big plush Santa and place it face down at the base of the VMS with a toy knife in it;s back just to traumatize some kids.

Zeffy

Uhhhh....

I don't have the faintest clue in why there is an I-95 shield with an arrow pointing... to the opposite side of the road. There's not even a ramp there!

And then there's this sign, and out of the states I've visited, New Jersey's the only one who posts a sign like this.

mhh

We need one of those lonely arrows signs to go with this.

http://goo.gl/maps/468YJ

The library is actually half a mile straight ahead, but no one would ever know it from this sign.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Zeffy on January 03, 2014, 12:39:36 PM
Uhhhh....

I don't have the faintest clue in why there is an I-95 shield with an arrow pointing... to the opposite side of the road. There's not even a ramp there!

Errrr, okay, I guess there's not a ramp right there, but there is one just around the curve there....

PHLBOS

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 03, 2014, 03:31:51 PM
Uhhhh....

Errrr, okay, I guess there's not a ramp right there, but there is one just around the curve there....
While redundant with respect to the overhead BGS in the background; that trailblazer shield assembly can come in handy for one that's following a tall truck (which would block the BGS' from the lower vehicle's view).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Uhhhh....

And then there's this sign, and out of the states I've visited, New Jersey's the only one who posts a sign like this.

Could that be on the border entering Trenton? Maybe they're being discreet about it!

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2014, 04:11:17 PM
Uhhhh....

Could that be on the border entering Trenton? Maybe they're being discreet about it!

It is exactly at the border.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2014, 04:11:17 PM

So that's a sign saying you entered Trenton's city limits? Because there is a 'WELCOME TO TRENTON' sign not too far up this road.

As for the I-95 shield, I understand the ramp is not too far from the sign, but it would make a lot more sense to place it when NJ 29 splits from the I-95 ramps.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mass_citizen

Quote from: mhh on January 03, 2014, 01:08:41 PM

The library is actually half a mile straight ahead, but no one would ever know it from this sign.

love library signs.

whats with this LGS/street sign further up at the intersection? it looks like a list of street names but doenst give any directional information.

http://goo.gl/maps/UaWsH

mhh

Quote from: mass_citizen on January 04, 2014, 03:19:08 PM
Quote from: mhh on January 03, 2014, 01:08:41 PM

love library signs.

whats with this LGS/street sign further up at the intersection? it looks like a list of street names but doenst give any directional information.

http://goo.gl/maps/UaWsH

It's a list of all of the streets in the no-outlet subdivision. All but Schmid Dr. should properly have arrows next to the street names: http://goo.gl/maps/TTFzE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.