News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Interstate 885 in Durham

Started by bob7374, August 19, 2014, 11:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 01, 2022, 01:09:59 PM
There are some stubs at NC 885/old NC 147's southern terminus at NC 540. If I remember the NC 147 Wikipedia page correctly (it has been altered, with no exit information on Interstate/NC 885 south of the East End Connector), the stubs will become a connector road to McCrimmon Parkway. Does this connector road have a construction date, and will it be part of NC 885?

This is project U5966 and the current STIP map shows right of way for 2028.

The draft 2024 STIP map also shows 2028 ROW but does say 2030 for construction start.  Estimated cost is $91M.

Both refer to this as "new route" which doesn't mean it will or will not be a primary route.  It does say the project is Turnpike Authority.

bob7374

Quote from: fillup420 on June 30, 2022, 09:24:09 PM
I clinched I-885 North today; it was pretty underwhelming. Considering most of the route is on existing roadway... The new section is nice, I can't believe it took 6 years to build it.
The official NCDOT press release on the opening:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-06-30-east-end-connector-durham-us-70.aspx

bob7374

I've posted new photos taken along the opened East End Connector by David Johnson:

Along with new signage on the Durham Freeway, which unfortunately includes this:

On my New I-885 in NC webpage: https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut885.html#photos

BlueRidge

5A/5B was poorly signed even before this mishap. The overheads lead you to believe the roadway was ending and your options were 40 East and 40 West. Once the Toll 885 sign is moved, it will be an improvement.

fillup420

Quote from: BlueRidge on July 03, 2022, 10:11:35 AM
5A/5B was poorly signed even before this mishap. The overheads lead you to believe the roadway was ending and your options were 40 East and 40 West. Once the Toll 885 sign is moved, it will be an improvement.

On the topic of this exit, shouldn't A and B switch? Exit numbers count down on 885, and A comes before B. Seems backwards to me.

74/171FAN

Quote from: fillup420 on August 02, 2022, 03:47:24 PM

On the topic of this exit, shouldn't A and B switch? Exit numbers count down on 885, and A comes before B. Seems backwards to me.

I thought A meant EB and B meant WB, and presumably A would be before B (which is the case on NC 885 NB). 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ran4sh

Quote from: fillup420 on August 02, 2022, 03:47:24 PM

The order is based on crossroad location, not ramp location. The EB roadway comes before the WB roadway when going north. So EB is A and WB is B.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on July 02, 2022, 11:06:20 PMAlong with new signage on the Durham Freeway, which unfortunately includes this:

Jesus wept.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

The Ghostbuster

Has the Interstate 885 (and NC 885) designation been approved (and recognized) by AASHTO yet? If it hasn't, I'd say waiting any longer would be unnecessary.

sprjus4

^
Quote from: Strider on June 24, 2022, 02:33:50 PM
Well, there you go. Looks like we got an approval for I-885 which seemed to be done behind the closed doors. I reached out to one of the reps, and here is what I was told:

Sent By: Contact Us AdministratorDate/Time: 6/24/2022 1:02:26 PM
Comment:This is in reference to your contact us inquiry concerning Interstate 885 and if approved by FHWA or AASHTO. The proposed route of I-885 is considered a loop. Connecting Interstate routes and full or partial circumferential beltways around or within urban areas carry a three-digit number. These routes are designated with the number of the main route (in this case I-85) and an even-numbered prefix. Since the proposed segment connects to an interstate on both ends it is considered a loop with an even-numbered prefix (I-885). AASHTO has the approving authority on Interstate and US route numbers. This is done through an application process. AASHTO route numbering committee meets twice a year to review and approve Interstate and US route changes for the United States. AASHTO has approved the route number of I-885 and FHWA has approved the roadway addition to the Interstate system.

Thank you,
(I do not put who responded to my email due to security reasons)
State Signing and Delineation Engineer
Mobility and Safety Division, Signing and Delineation Unit
North Carolina Department of Transportation

LM117

Google Streetview has new images of I-885 along former NC-147, as well as the southbound side of the new connector section.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Alex

I worked in taking Interstate 885 north on our way to Delaware for Christmas, then took it again southbound on the way back. So with that I was able to shoot both directions with the exception of a couple signs at the south end. Posted photos to the site yesterday:

https://www.aaroads.com/guides/i-885-nc/

1995hoo

We took "I-885"  for the first time last night, driving its full length southbound, and then used the Durham Freeway portion again today after a trip to visit my old haunts at Duke University. Certainly makes connecting down to I-40 from I-85 substantially easier than it used to be. It felt like the Durham Freeway now carries a lot more traffic than it used to, at least on the part south of the new connector (the part near Duke was as empty as ever) and I find myself wondering when they'll need to add a lane to each side.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 18, 2023, 04:25:16 PM
It felt like the Durham Freeway now carries a lot more traffic than it used to, at least on the part south of the new connector (the part near Duke was as empty as ever) and I find myself wondering when they'll need to add a lane to each side.

All of the freeways in the Triangle are much busier.  But an unintended consequence of I-885 is that it has opened up development along the I-85 corridor northeast of Durham, bringing new traffic that chokes off RTP-bound traffic from the western section of the Durham Freeway (NC-147).  Before construction of I-885, it was an equal bet timewise to get from the I-85/I-40 Split over to RTP on either I-40 or I-85/NC-147.  That will probably never happen during rush hour ever again, even during the I-40 widening project in Orange County.

bob7374

It felt like the Durham Freeway now carries a lot more traffic than it used to, at least on the part south of the new connector (the part near Duke was as empty as ever) and I find myself wondering when they'll need to add a lane to each side.
The last update to the Draft 2024-2033 STIP I have has a project to widen the Durham Freeway from I-40 to the East End Connector starting in 2028. IIRC, originally it was to start this year or next before being delayed. Perhaps changes in traffic patterns you cite will move it up again.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 18, 2023, 09:49:32 PM
All of the freeways in the Triangle are much busier.  But an unintended consequence of I-885 is that it has opened up development along the I-85 corridor northeast of Durham, bringing new traffic that chokes off RTP-bound traffic from the western section of the Durham Freeway (NC-147).  Before construction of I-885, it was an equal bet timewise to get from the I-85/I-40 Split over to RTP on either I-40 or I-85/NC-147.  That will probably never happen during rush hour ever again, even during the I-40 widening project in Orange County.

fixed quote
- Alex

webny99

Quote from: bob7374 on February 19, 2023, 10:57:36 AM
The last update to the Draft 2024-2033 STIP I have has a project to widen the Durham Freeway from I-40 to the East End Connector starting in 2028. IIRC, originally it was to start this year or next before being delayed. Perhaps changes in traffic patterns you cite will move it up again.

Looking at the rush hour traffic conditions, it sure seems like I-885 needs six lanes between I-40 and the East End connector, as there are backups in both directions approaching the four-lane section. That is the logical result now that you have 8+ lanes of traffic flowing on to that segment from both directions. I was surprised to find it does not already have six lanes, but then again it was obviously not a priority before the connector was complete.

I'm curious to know how it stacks up volume-wise, has NCDOT done any volume studies on that section since the completion of the East End Connector?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: webny99 on March 14, 2023, 06:19:24 PM
Looking at the rush hour traffic conditions, it sure seems like I-885 needs six lanes between I-40 and the East End connector, as there are backups in both directions approaching the four-lane section. That is the logical result now that you have 8+ lanes of traffic flowing on to that segment from both directions. I was surprised to find it does not already have six lanes, but then again it was obviously not a priority before the connector was complete.

I'm curious to know how it stacks up volume-wise, has NCDOT done any volume studies on that section since the completion of the East End Connector?

The outline of the East End Connector (middle portion of I-885) is now shown on the NCDOT AADT Map, but the linkage is not yet shown and there is no data available.  The most recent AADT for the Durham Freeway portion is from 2020 and the most recent for the US-70 Freeway portion.

webny99

Quote from: Dirt Roads on March 14, 2023, 09:08:59 PM
The outline of the East End Connector (middle portion of I-885) is now shown on the NCDOT AADT Map, but the linkage is not yet shown and there is no data available.  The most recent AADT for the Durham Freeway portion is from 2020 and the most recent for the US-70 Freeway portion.

Interesting. The AADT was already in the 70k range even before the East End Connector, which is enough to warrant six lanes even in an urban area. So there's no question it needs it badly now and that explains the frequent congestion there.

jdunlop

Quote from: webny99 on March 14, 2023, 06:19:24 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on February 19, 2023, 10:57:36 AM

The 2022 AADT maps should be available late summer.  Don't know if separate data has been collected.  There is the constant automated system data from the various data companies (don't recall which company has the current contract, INRIX, HERE or somebody else.)

The NB Durham Freeway traffic started bogging down once NC 147 (now NC 885) was extended as part of the Triangle Expressway toll project.  The road goes from three to two at TW Alexander, and it bogs down during both AM and PM peaks.  It opens up speed-wise north of Ellis Road, and the two freeway segments (NC 147 and I-885) flow well during most periods.  Going to the west, I-85 is a problem where NC 147 merges in, mostly in the evening peak.  (There is a project to widen I-85 from NC 147 to US 70 in Orange County.)

SB, the problem at the NC 147/I-885 merge was identified early, but the "solution", the widening between there and I-40, has been delayed, and the Durham MPO wanted to cancel the project (their position is that Durham people should walk or take transit, so they won't support "new lanes or roads".)  That, plus the funding issues that NCDOT has had, pushed the project further out.  If it actually gets funded/bid in 2028 I'd consider it lucky (I'm not holding my breath sitting at home ~two miles away.)

If I have to head west to Burlington or further from the Brier Creek area in Durham, I'll take I-40 (slightly shorter) most of the time, but both flow fine. During the PM peak, I think the I-885/NC 147/I-85 route, as the TW Alexander lane drop isn't too bad, and the I-85 merge is less a problem (I think) than the I-40 lane drop at US 15-501.  At night, take 85/147/885, as they have frequent lane closures on I-40 for the widening project.  (At least, that was how it was driving home from the ACC Tournaments (men's and women's) the past two weeks.)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: jdunlop on March 15, 2023, 12:24:15 PM
If I have to head west to Burlington or further from the Brier Creek area in Durham, I'll take I-40 (slightly shorter) most of the time, but both flow fine. During the PM peak, I think the I-885/NC 147/I-85 route, as the TW Alexander lane drop isn't too bad, and the I-85 merge is less a problem (I think) than the I-40 lane drop at US 15-501.  At night, take 85/147/885, as they have frequent lane closures on I-40 for the widening project.  (At least, that was how it was driving home from the ACC Tournaments (men's and women's) the past two weeks.)

It looks like nighttime closures on I-40 in Orange County are going to be the norm throughout this Spring and Summer.  Just be forewarned about using the Durham Freeway (NC-147) near the ending of some close Durham Bulls games.  It's only a few minutes longer to stay on I-85 and hit I-885 the whole rest of the way.

sprjus4

^ Sort of related to NC-885... does NCDOT ever foresee going to have to construct a flyover from NC-885 North to I-40 West? Particularly as the NC-540 beltway is complete down to I-40 / US-70, I see there being increased demand by those cities along the new beltway, along with long distance traffic bypassing Raleigh, using NC-885 to connect back with I-40 West.

jdunlop

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 15, 2023, 01:41:07 PM
^ Sort of related to NC-885... does NCDOT ever foresee going to have to construct a flyover from NC-885 North to I-40 West? Particularly as the NC-540 beltway is complete down to I-40 / US-70, I see there being increased demand by those cities along the new beltway, along with long distance traffic bypassing Raleigh, using NC-885 to connect back with I-40 West.

I recall that was discussed when the toll road was being planned, but the less expensive option was chosen as adequate at the time.  Certainly, if volume warrants, I could see one in the future.

An auxiliary lane project from 885 to NC 55 on 40WB is to be let relatively soon, and that will help that movement.

Also, a SB 885 "Fly Under" is planned as part of the 885 widening project.  The current plans call for realigning I-40 EB to move close to the WB lanes, to allow 885 to enter from the right of 40.  That'll allow two lanes again from 885 to 40, and reduce weaving significantly.

webny99

Out of curiosity, is US 70 to I-885 to I-85 a viable option? That seems like a shorter route coming from anywhere near or west of I-540/US 70, depending on what the non-freeway portion of US 70 is like.

jdunlop

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2023, 10:21:25 AM

Out of curiosity, is US 70 to I-885 to I-85 a viable option? That seems like a shorter route coming from anywhere near or west of I-540/US 70, depending on what the non-freeway portion of US 70 is like.

Peak hour, the signals would be a pain.  But the shorter distance might win in off-peak.  Just checked Google Maps, and now mid-morning, it recommends US 70 rather than continuing to 885, starting on I-540 east of 70.  But it's a minute difference.  I'd probably do it because it's four miles shorter.

So, shorter answer is: Yes it's a viable alternative.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2023, 10:21:25 AM

Quote from: jdunlop on March 16, 2023, 11:25:36 AM
Peak hour, the signals would be a pain.  But the shorter distance might win in off-peak.  Just checked Google Maps, and now mid-morning, it recommends US 70 rather than continuing to 885, starting on I-540 east of 70.  But it's a minute difference.  I'd probably do it because it's four miles shorter.

So, shorter answer is: Yes it's a viable alternative.

Indeed.  I've used this route frequently for many years, even back when we sure I-885 would never happen.  Coming from Hillsborough proper, it was historically the best route (off-peak) to head due east (ergo, Greenville or New Bern/Morehead City) by jumping on eastbound I-540 and then US-64/US-264 (mostly future I-87) and beyond.  From beyond Hillsborough, I-40 usually works better (but the accidents in the I-40 construction zone in Orange County are on the rise in the off-peak).

Because of the backwards rush hour in the Triangle, I would generally avoid US-70 (Miami Boulevard/Glenwood Avenue) during both rush hour windows.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.