News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Anyone play Cities: Skylines yet?

Started by Zeffy, March 12, 2015, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 16, 2022, 11:53:11 PM
Wait, there's a mod that that makes Left Turn lights work properly???

These must be props, I'm pretty in-tune with mods for this game and I've never seen anything that allows such specific controls.

That said, I'm curious to know more about what's going on.

dfnva

With TMPE, one can alter traffic signal phases and timings.

Visually, I altered the traffic signals with the Procedural Objects mod.

RobbieL2415

Anyone here still use CSUR for roads?

jakeroot

Quote from: dfnva on June 19, 2022, 01:48:29 PM

I've used TMPE since launch but it still doesn't allow things like FYAs.

I assume the signals don't actually function? As in, the FYAs don't flash, etc.

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 19, 2022, 04:40:36 PM

I think with the advent of Node Controller, Intersection Marking Tool, etc, it's become a lot less popular.

dfnva

Quote from: jakeroot on June 19, 2022, 08:05:42 PM
Quote from: dfnva on June 19, 2022, 01:48:29 PM

I've used TMPE since launch but it still doesn't allow things like FYAs.

I assume the signals don't actually function? As in, the FYAs don't flash, etc.

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 19, 2022, 04:40:36 PM

I think with the advent of Node Controller, Intersection Marking Tool, etc, it's become a lot less popular.

No, the FYAs don't flash, would be cool if I could figure out how to get them to do that. But, they're visually enjoyable as I "drive" around my cities in first person mode.

algorerhythms

Lately I've been playing with TM:PE set to ban personal vehicles, and only allowing city service vehicles, emergency vehicles, buses, and trucks. Walk, you little jerks.

riiga

I finally got some more RAM (and a faster CPU, thanks AMD for backwards compatibility on AM4), so now I can play CSL again!

Started building a proper "million programme" area with lowrise apartment buildings, tree-like road structure ending in parking lots, pedestrian access throughout the area and no through traffic.

jakeroot

I like it!

More RAM makes a huge difference.

I was planning on upgrading my laptop from 32GB to 64GB, but my motherboard failed before I could do it :-D... I'll be out of commission for the foreseeable future.

JoePCool14

I have 64 GB RAM on my work PC, if only I could install it here!

It's been a while since I've tinkered with C:S. There's been a couple newer DLCs released, maybe I can try to catch up on some of the ones I missed through sales. I'm usually too occupied with other things to play, but C:S is a good way to unwind.

I'm still hoping we get a full-blown sequel soon. C:S is over half a decade old at this point.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Hunty2022

I've been playing Cities: Skylines for over 3 years, a couple months ago I removed most of my cities. That includes 3 of my top 5 most populated cities. I only have 5 now.

And I play Vanilla, no mods, sadly.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

JoePCool14

Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 21, 2022, 01:54:01 PM
I've been playing Cities: Skylines for over 3 years, a couple months ago I removed most of my cities. That includes 3 of my top 5 most populated cities. I only have 5 now.

Why would you remove them? Did you run out of space on your computer or something?

Hunty2022

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 21, 2022, 03:07:59 PM

Why would you remove them? Did you run out of space on your computer or something?

No, I play it on an Xbox, since my computer would never be able to run the game. But I removed them because they weren't very good and up to my current standards.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 21, 2022, 03:47:51 PM

No, I play it on an Xbox, since my computer would never be able to run the game. But I removed them because they weren't very good and up to my current standards.

I would've kept them if I were you. It makes for a fun experience to come back a couple years on and see all the things you wouldn't build now. Even better, take that old save, make a copy and try to make realistic fixes to it, similar to the real world where we have to fix outdated designs.

Hunty2022

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 21, 2022, 03:54:55 PM
Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 21, 2022, 03:47:51 PM

I would've kept them if I were you. It makes for a fun experience to come back a couple years on and see all the things you wouldn't build now. Even better, take that old save, make a copy and try to make realistic fixes to it, similar to the real world where we have to fix outdated designs.

I still have multiple old maps, one of which is my 2nd most populated city. I also tried to fix my oldest city, but the fixing ruined it.

riiga

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 17, 2020, 06:30:07 PM
Highly recommend this mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=844180955

This no longer works, thanks to the Plazas and Promenades update, which is devastating, because it was my favorite mod.  Actually, you can still sort-of use it to get first-person views in vehicles, but you can't create your own routes anymore.

Anywho, here's some pasta I cooked up:

And here's a map export, from the CSL Map View mod.  The population of this town, Pastaland, is a little over 200,000.  On my PC, the game starts to slow down after that benchmark, but your mileage may vary.

Quote from: riiga on November 20, 2022, 11:05:37 AM
I finally got some more RAM (and a faster CPU, thanks AMD for backwards compatibility on AM4), so now I can play CSL again!

Started building a proper "million programme" area with lowrise apartment buildings, tree-like road structure ending in parking lots, pedestrian access throughout the area and no through traffic.

Mies van der Rohe would be proud!

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

skluth

JoePCool14

Quote from: Ned Weasel on November 30, 2022, 12:41:48 PM

Urbanists must be shaking in their boots seeing this one.

Following up on an earlier post, I'm back into C:S a little bit! The game was on sale for less than $10 on PS4/PS5, and most of the DLCs were on sale too in bundles. Since my PS5 is the best machine I have for gaming, I picked it up along with most of the major DLC packs for less than $50 total. It runs beautifully, so silky smooth, with short load times. I know there's no mods, but I can still get a lot of enjoyment in vanilla. Arguably, I can get more enjoyment because I don't have to fiddle around with making sure packs are updated and still working. I'll share some screenshots another time.

Roadgeekteen

Anyone wish that Cities Skylines had regions and bigger cities? 81 tiles is a lot but I want to build a damn country. Also the limits are annoying.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 01:57:24 PM
Anyone wish that Cities Skylines had regions and bigger cities? 81 tiles is a lot but I want to build a damn country. Also the limits are annoying.

Not really, I enjoyed filling up 25 tiles and that was enough in one map for me. Who has a supercomputer capable of running anything more with more than 5 FPS anyways?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 01, 2022, 02:37:17 PM

Not really, I enjoyed filling up 25 tiles and that was enough in one map for me. Who has a supercomputer capable of running anything more with more than 5 FPS anyways?
Not to fill up, but to build a large region or country with multiple cities, towns, and rural areas. Different regions can be loaded at different times, that's what SimCity did I think.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 04:15:47 PM

Not to fill up, but to build a large region or country with multiple cities, towns, and rural areas. Different regions can be loaded at different times, that's what SimCity did I think.

I know what you mean. It would be interesting to see the SimCity 2013 concept but actually done well. But the key would be making each region be unloaded somehow.

jakeroot

If you can get a computer with a good processor, really good graphics card, and 64 GB of RAM, you should be able to build an 81-tile region pretty easily.

I had 32 GB of RAM with a GTX 1080 and Intel 8086k chip, vintage 2018, and I could fill up a map without too much issue.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2022, 08:31:15 PM

If you can get a computer with a good processor, really good graphics card, and 64 GB of RAM, you should be able to build an 81-tile region pretty easily.

I had 32 GB of RAM with a GTX 1080 and Intel 8086k chip, vintage 2018, and I could fill up a map without too much issue.
The limits might be a bigger issue than the computing power.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 01, 2022, 11:54:21 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2022, 08:31:15 PM

The limits might be a bigger issue than the computing power.

Limits of what? The game, RAM, graphics, storage or something else?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.