News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Runaway Truck Ramps

Started by thefraze_1020, December 04, 2015, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefraze_1020

Which state has the most runaway truck ramps? Where are they located, and how are they signed? When I was a little kid, I was fascinated by them, because Washington state has very few, if any. However, I know Idaho has several...
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Quillz

No idea how many are in California, but there is almost always one on the interstates that go through mountain passes. Most notable is probably the one on I-5 northbound just before descending from the Tejon Summit to the Central Valley. I believe I-15 northbound has another one just before Cajon Pass.

wriddle082

TN has two on I-24 EB coming down Monteagle Mtn, one on TN 111 SB coming down Walden's Ridge into Soddy-Daisy, and I think two on I-26 WB coming down from the gap at the NC border whose name now escapes me.  I think there may be one that I'm missing.

NC has at least two on I-40 EB coming down Black Mountain east of Asheville, and at least two on I-26 EB coming down from that gap at the TN border.  And again, there may be others.

AL has one on US 431 NB at the bottom of the big hill between Albertville/Bosz and Guntersville.  I'm pretty sure that's it.

KY has one on the Hyden Spur (KY mumble) SB between the Hal Rogers Pkwy and US 421 in Hyden.  I'm surprised there aren't more.

VA has at least two on I-77 SB, and at least two on US 52 SB, both coming down from Fancy Gap.

Then in WV, there is at least one on I-64 EB as it descends into what is essentially New River Gorge east of Beckley, and I wanna say there is one on I-68 WB between MD and Morgantown.  I also wanna say Corridor H has at least one.

Ok here's the start of a good list.  Proceed to add to it as necessary!

jp the roadgeek

MA and CT have one each.  MA has one on the Mass Pike eastbound coming down out of the Berkshires into the Pioneer Valley between Blandford and Russell.  CT has one on US 44 at the bottom of Avon Mountain that was put there in response to a runaway truck crashing into a furniture store at the bottom of the mountain causing multiple fatalities.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 04, 2015, 09:41:18 AM
MA and CT have one each.  MA has one on the Mass Pike eastbound coming down out of the Berkshires into the Pioneer Valley between Blandford and Russell.  CT has one on US 44 at the bottom of Avon Mountain that was put there in response to a runaway truck crashing into a furniture store at the bottom of the mountain causing multiple fatalities.
MA has two runaway truck ramps.  One is on the Mass Pike eastbound, as you mentioned.  The other one is on MA 2 eastbound between the NY State Line and the intersection of US 7 just south of Williamstown.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

TravelingBethelite

Can confirm r.t. ramp on I-68 WB west of WV state line. Sorry for low quality.

[/url]GEDC0795 by Samuel Mount, on Flickr[/img]

GSV: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6580869,-79.8358069,3a,75y,296.2h,92.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0JSw1hpaMJ6GzlUWZ5UtXQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

kkt

Oregon has two on northbound I-5 on the descent from Siskiyou Summit into Ashford Ashland.

(typo edited)

2trailertrucker

I have a "complete" list I have complied. AZ has quite a few. PA  also has a lot of them.
I have complied a database for use in trucking GPS units.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/44321

2trailertrucker

The Soddy-Daisy ramp I didn't know about. Thanks

2Co5_14

There are a couple on I-80 WB in CA coming down from Donner Summit.

2trailertrucker

I have a database that has lat/Lon of the ramps, highway locations, and info on the ramp. The list is quite lengthy, and detailed. If you use the Rand McNally GPS, the link below will let you download it to your GPS. I also have the Brake Check areas on a separate DB.

I had a great response from a majority of states in compiling the info. It was amazing that some states actually didn't know how many or where they were at. So this list is almost complete. The Soddy-Daisy ramp I didn't have. The rest that have been mentioned I have, but keep the dialogue going.

Thanks for your input.

Here is the link to the database:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/44321

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on December 04, 2015, 07:41:09 AMKY has one on the Hyden Spur (KY mumble) SB between the Hal Rogers Pkwy and US 421 in Hyden.  I'm surprised there aren't more.

It's KY 118, but you can be forgiven for not knowing it because it's only been signed in the last 10 years or so.

The first one ever built in Kentucky was on KY 11 in Beattyville. IMO it's not really needed, but it's there because the old KY 11 alignment had a very steep grade and a gasoline tanker truck wreck in 1977 resulted in nearly an entire block of buildings being destroyed and six or seven people being killed. I was a junior in high school and was at a marching band competition when the wreck happened. They told us that none of our immediate relatives had been hurt or killed in the incident.
[/quote]

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman on December 04, 2015, 10:03:20 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 04, 2015, 09:41:18 AM
MA has two runaway truck ramps.  One is on the Mass Pike eastbound, as you mentioned.  The other one is on MA 2 eastbound between the NY State Line and the intersection of US 7 just south of Williamstown.

MA 57 in Sandisfield w/b approaching MA 8 and the Farmington River has one. Also Monroe Hill Rd n/b in Rowe entering the Deerfield River valley has many ramps, at least three, relics of when the Yankee Rowe nuclear plant was in that valley.

2trailertrucker

I looked up the Monroe Hill ramps. You can still one that looks good, but there are no signs. Is this road not used for trucks, or has it been decommissioned? Thanks.

SectorZ

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on December 04, 2015, 06:21:16 PM
I looked up the Monroe Hill ramps. You can still one that looks good, but there are no signs. Is this road not used for trucks, or has it been decommissioned? Thanks.

The truck traffic really no longer exists since the Yankee Rowe Nuclear Power Plant was decommissioned in the early 90's. It's completely torn down by now. Last I knew the bridge into the town of Monroe is closed, so the road isn't technically a through way anymore.

I took a bike ride out there 8 years ago, and one of them was signed, one was unsigned, and one looked liked it was so poorly maintained that mother nature was reclaiming it. It was also the most terrifying descent I had on a bicycle, it averages about a 14% grade top to bottom with a few sharp curves.

noelbotevera

PA has a total of six on US 30 between McConnellsburg and Breezewood.
I-376 has some between the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and I-279. I believe there is 3.
I think there's 2 on US 11/15 north of Harrisburg to Duncannon.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

FreewayDan

Hawaii has one on Interstate H-3 (signed as Emergency Escape Ramp) after exit #9 to Hawaii 63.
https://www.aaroads.com/west/hawaii003/i-h003_eb_exit_011_01.jpg
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

Revive 755

Illinois has two signed near Chester.  Not sure how effective they would actually be.

1) On the truck bypass going down to the Mississippi River:  Streetview.

2) One on SB IL 3 going down to the St. Mary's River bridge.  Streetview

jemacedo9

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 05, 2015, 09:47:57 AM
I-376 has some between the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and I-279. I believe there is 3.
There are several on US 30 between McConnellsburg, but I don't think there are any on I-376 on either side of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, and there aren't any on US 11/15 north of Harrisburg.

Here are the one that I can remember:
I-176 approaching the PA Turnpike
PA 93 approaching US 209 near Jim Thorpe
US 322 east of Potters Mills
US 30 east of Breezewood (several)
old US 422 east of Kittanning

Are there any:
on I-376 west of the Ft Pitt Tunnel?
US 219 south of Ridgway?
PA 8/US 62 approaching Franklin?
US 40 east of Uniontown?
US 30 EAST of McConnellsburg?
US 30 west of Bedford?
US 30 east of Ligonier?
US 119 approaching Punxsutawney?

noelbotevera

Quote from: jemacedo9 on December 05, 2015, 08:29:16 PM
There are several on US 30 between McConnellsburg, but I don't think there are any on I-376 on either side of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, and there aren't any on US 11/15 north of Harrisburg.

Are there any:
US 219 south of Ridgway?
US 40 east of Uniontown?
US 30 west of Bedford?
US 30 east of Ligonier?
None on US 119 and US 219.
US 30 there might be east of York, but there's none from there to York.
Not sure on US 30 west of Bedford and Ligonier.
Not sure with US 62 and US 40.
Not sure with I-376.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

74/171FAN

Quote from: wriddle082 on December 04, 2015, 07:41:09 AM

VA has at least two on I-77 SB, and at least two on US 52 SB, both coming down from Fancy Gap.

There is also one on VA 100 NB heading down towards Little Walker Creek north of Dublin before its intersection with VA 42.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: jemacedo9 on December 05, 2015, 08:29:16 PM

Are there any:
US 219 south of Ridgway?
US 40 east of Uniontown?
US 30 west of Bedford?
US 30 east of Ligonier?

PA was quite a workout for me! This one of the states that cooperated with the project.
I even found one that they didn't have, (I 176) plus they showed one by Philly International Airport that I couldn't find.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on December 04, 2015, 04:02:55 AM
Which state has the most runaway truck ramps? Where are they located, and how are they signed? When I was a little kid, I was fascinated by them, because Washington state has very few, if any. However, I know Idaho has several...

I have found only one in WA.
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 05, 2015, 11:40:06 AM
Illinois has two signed near Chester.  Not sure how effective they would actually be.

1) On the truck bypass going down to the Mississippi River:  Streetview.

2) One on SB IL 3 going down to the St. Mary's River bridge.  Streetview

Maybe for a pickup! I don't see how they could handle a semi.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: wriddle082 on December 04, 2015, 07:41:09 AM
TN has two on I-24 EB coming down Monteagle Mtn, one on TN 111 SB coming down Walden's Ridge into Soddy-Daisy, and I think two on I-26 WB coming down from the gap at the NC border whose name now escapes me.  I think there may be one that I'm missing.

NC has at least two on I-40 EB coming down Black Mountain east of Asheville, and at least two on I-26 EB coming down from that gap at the TN border.  And again, there may be others.

AL has one on US 431 NB at the bottom of the big hill between Albertville/Bosz and Guntersville.  I'm pretty sure that's it.

KY has one on the Hyden Spur (KY mumble) SB between the Hal Rogers Pkwy and US 421 in Hyden.  I'm surprised there aren't more.

Then in WV, there is at least one on I-64 EB as it descends into what is essentially New River Gorge east of Beckley, and I wanna say there is one on I-68 WB between MD and Morgantown.  I also wanna say Corridor H has at least one.

Ok here's the start of a good list.  Proceed to add to it as necessary!

In KY they are at KY 118 E Hyden, and KY 11 S in Beattyville.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: Quillz on December 04, 2015, 05:05:08 AM
No idea how many are in California, but there is almost always one on the interstates that go through mountain passes. Most notable is probably the one on I-5 northbound just before descending from the Tejon Summit to the Central Valley. I believe I-15 northbound has another one just before Cajon Pass.

I have 10 ramps in Cally. I have 2 on CA 33 at Maricopa, 1 on CA 178 in Inyokern, and 2 on CA 299 at Montgomery Creek, Junction City and US 101 at Orick as ramps not on Interstate Highways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.