News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 795 extension (NC)

Started by LM117, July 16, 2016, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: sparker on October 27, 2016, 05:26:54 PM
Probably not.  A longer-mileage bypass is not an efficient substitute for upgrading a routing-efficient (read more or less straight-line) existing route such as I-95.  One thing about NC Interstate additions: pretty much each segment exists as a SIU:  I-42 connects other Interstates and the state capital/Research Triangle region with a developing port area, I-87 connects the same with the Hampton Roads metro complex, and the existing/planned I-795 functions as a local Goldsboro server as well as a "cutoff" for traffic to and from Wilmington (and its port) to northerly points along I-95.  A Lumberton-Faison I-795 extension wouldn't really do much for traffic patterns in that part of the state; it's too much out of the way to function as a connector for NB I-95 traffic to Wilmington (that's what I-74/US 74's for, anyway!), and it's unlikely that there's enough Goldsboro-bound traffic on NB I-95 to warrant a more direct connection.  No SIU to be seen here.

I do agree that NC's segment of I-95 really needs an upgrade -- but a 2nd and less efficient facility isn't the solution -- any action regarding that route needs to amass levels of political support that it currently does not have.

Nailed it. I-795 isn't going beyond I-40. There's no push for it and no need for it. Goldsboro wouldn't care about such an extension anyway since they already have access to I-95 South via I-42/US-70 to Selma and I-95 North via I-795 to Wilson.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

orulz

Got it, loud and clear :) Although I think it would be a useful addition to the state's highway system, it probably isn't a wise allocation of limited resources.

LGL44VL

The Ghostbuster

How soon might the Interstate 795 extension be constructed?

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 28, 2016, 04:17:44 PM
How soon might the Interstate 795 extension be constructed?

The only projects currently scheduled are the two interchange projects on US-117 at the Oberry Road and Country Club Road intersections, with construction to begin next year.

LM117

Good news concerning I-795's extension. Part of US-117 near Mount Olive has been included in NCDOT's draft 2018-2027 STIP on the division level.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=13370

QuoteUpgrading U.S. 117 from Lee's Country Club Road to Old Smith Chapel Road in Wayne County by constructing a new connector road along U.S 117 and converting the intersections to interchanges

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on December 14, 2016, 12:22:27 AM
Good news concerning I-795's extension. Part of US-117 near Mount Olive has been included in NCDOT's draft 2018-2027 STIP on the division level.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=13370

QuoteUpgrading U.S. 117 from Lee's Country Club Road to Old Smith Chapel Road in Wayne County by constructing a new connector road along U.S 117 and converting the intersections to interchanges
This is a relatively short section on the Mount Olive Bypass; it's the "converting the intersections to interchanges" part that's important.

jwolfer

Quote from: orulz on October 27, 2016, 04:56:01 PM
What is the planned southern terminus of I-795? I-40 at Faison, right? I wonder if part of the I-95 "dilemma" in NC (where the road is ancient and inadequate, but never seems to get prioritized for construction) could be dealt with by extending I-795 even further, to link back up with I-95 in Lumberton. This would provide a bypass of 100 of the 180 miles of I-95 in NC, including some of the most ancient sextions. It would cross very rural, wide open land, and there would be no phasing to avoid traffic disruptions, so it would probably be similar or cheaper compared with widening I-95, and would certainly be welcomed by the business communities in Goldsboro and Clinton.

Could we go so far as to declare this the Manifest Destiny of I-795?

LGL44VL
Sort of like the new I-85 around Greensboro and Spartanburg, bypassing the early vintage interstate.

LGMS428

broadhurst04

Quote from: jwolfer on January 02, 2017, 12:08:03 AM
What is the planned southern terminus of I-795? I-40 at Faison, right? I wonder if part of the I-95 "dilemma" in NC (where the road is ancient and inadequate, but never seems to get prioritized for construction) could be dealt with by extending I-795 even further, to link back up with I-95 in Lumberton. This would provide a bypass of 100 of the 180 miles of I-95 in NC, including some of the most ancient sextions. It would cross very rural, wide open land, and there would be no phasing to avoid traffic disruptions, so it would probably be similar or cheaper compared with widening I-95, and would certainly be welcomed by the business communities in Goldsboro and Clinton.

LGL44VL
Sort of like the new I-85 around Greensboro and Spartanburg, bypassing the early vintage interstate.

LGMS428

I think you meant Greenville, SC; but even at that, the bypass you're referencing only serves Spartanburg.

OracleUsr

Actually, it probably is Greensboro.  The I-85 bypass runs to the south of the city.  Personally, I'm more a fan of going through Death Valley on I-40.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

broadhurst04

Quote from: OracleUsr on January 03, 2017, 06:51:22 AM
Actually, it probably is Greensboro.  The I-85 bypass runs to the south of the city.  Personally, I'm more a fan of going through Death Valley on I-40.

You're right. I realized that after I posted my comment. I thought he was only talking about one bypass on I-85.

jwolfer

Quote from: broadhurst04 on January 03, 2017, 04:16:27 PM

You're right. I realized that after I posted my comment. I thought he was only talking about one bypass on I-85.
I should have used "Or"  i understand your confusion

LGMS428

orulz

Quote from: jwolfer on January 02, 2017, 12:08:03 AM
What is the planned southern terminus of I-795? I-40 at Faison, right? I wonder if part of the I-95 "dilemma" in NC (where the road is ancient and inadequate, but never seems to get prioritized for construction) could be dealt with by extending I-795 even further, to link back up with I-95 in Lumberton. This would provide a bypass of 100 of the 180 miles of I-95 in NC, including some of the most ancient sextions.

Yes, that's the right idea, except I would compare it more to I-295 in Richmond which is a longer road, and I would keep I-95 on its present alignment.

How about this: build the Lumberton-Faison link as a toll road.

LM117

This is getting into Fictional Highway territory...

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on January 04, 2017, 07:40:35 AM
This is getting into Fictional Highway territory...
Yes; NCDOT is definitely not looking at any extension of I-795 past I-40.

LM117

Latest update:

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/02/14/repairs_continue_for_roads_damaged_by_hurricane_matthew/

QuoteLittle said that a contract for interchanges at U.S. 117 and O'Berry Road and at Country Club Road will be let together.

"Right of way has already started on those and hopefully construction will be let in June of 2017," he said.

epzik8

I remember when I-95 was horrible from the Virginia line to Kenly. I guess they could have used I-795 back then.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Strider

Me too. It is more fun driving through the Death Valley on I-40. That section is slowly been upgraded to match modern standards. The bridges that carries I-40 over US 29 (Exit 223) is now being replaced and should be finished soon. In 2019, they will replace the bridge going over the South Buffalo creek between Exit 220 and Exit 221 (includes widening shoulders to match modern standards).

Eventually they will replace all bridges and upgrade the entire road in that section, which is TBA.

LM117

The Town of Mount Olive has awarded a contract to Cox Edwards Construction Company of Goldsboro to relocate a water line at the US-117/Country Club Road intersection in preparation for it's conversion to an interchange. Work should begin anytime.

LM117

A contract has been awarded for converting two intersections on US-117 into interchanges, at Oberry Road and Country Club Road. Completion date is scheduled for October 2019.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14055

QuoteRALEIGH — Improvements to U.S. 117 between Goldsboro and Mount Olive will soon be getting underway, as the N.C. Department of Transportation has awarded a $20.6 million contract for the project to S T Wooten Corporation of Wilson.

Two intersections along U.S. 117 in Wayne County are set to be upgraded to interchanges — one at O'Berry Road, and the other at Country Club Road.  Eventually, O'Berry Road will go over U.S. 117, and U.S. 117 will pass over Country Club Road. 

Both interchanges are being built to enhance safety and in preparation for U.S. 117 eventually being designated as an interstate in this area.  These improvements are necessary because both intersections already carry an average of 15,000 vehicles per day, and that number is expected to increase to over 27,000 per day by 2037.

The project can begin as early as July 31 and is scheduled to be finished by October 2019.  Additional work with vegetation and reforestation may continue through March 2020.

Detours will eventually be necessary with this project.  O'Berry Road will be completely closed at U.S. 117, with a signed detour.  Construction here is limited to 12 months.

U.S. 117 at Country Club Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction, and eventually detoured on to the new ramps as the bridges on U.S. 117 are built.  Construction on this section of the project is limited to 18 months.

epzik8

Ha! I just used 795 to and from Myrtle Beach last weekend!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

LM117

It seems that NCDOT is wanting to build a superstreet at the intersection of NC-50 and US-117 Connector near Faison. I thought the idea was to upgrade US-117 to interstate standards...

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14043

QuoteWILMINGTON–State Transportation officials will hold a public meeting on Tuesday, July 25, for a proposed superstreet improvement project at the intersection of N.C. 50 and the U.S. 117 Connector in Duplin County.

A superstreet, also referred to as a "synchronized street" , reduces improves safety and delays by eliminating left turns from side streets and allowing drivers to make U-turns at a safer location.

The public can view a map displaying the location and design of the project online at http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/publicmeetings/.

The meeting will take place in Faison Town Hall at 100 N.E. Center Street from 5 to 7 p.m.  Interested citizens may attend at any time during the meeting hours, as no formal presentation will be made. NCDOT representatives will be available to provide information and answer questions. The opportunity to provide written comments will also be provided

Seems like a total waste of money to me since NCDOT will have to tear it up later when they convert that intersection into an interchange.

wdcrft63

I believe the interstate plan is to have I-795 on new location on the approach to I-40, so this is an unrelated project.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 05, 2017, 06:33:15 PM
I believe the interstate plan is to have I-795 on new location on the approach to I-40, so this is an unrelated project.

You can thank Sampson County for the new location I-795/I-40 interchange. Upgrading the existing I-40 Exit 355 interchange was the initial plan, but Sampson County was worried that an upgraded interchange would not allow for any development at the interchange and requested a new location interchange. Duplin County and the Eastern Carolina Rural Planning Organization were opposed to the new interchange because of the farm land that would be destroyed. Since then, Sampson County allowed Enviva to build a wood pellet manufacturing plant at Exit 355 over a year ago, essentially forcing NCDOT to go with the new interchange alternative and sticking it to Duplin County and the ECRPO.

At least with a new location I-795/I-40 interchange, NCDOT doesn't have to worry about tying in NC-403.

froggie

I would also conjecture that, by the time NCDOT gets around to addressing this segment of I-795, the Superstreet segment will have been in operation for several years.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on July 06, 2017, 06:27:46 PM
I would also conjecture that, by the time NCDOT gets around to addressing this segment of I-795, the Superstreet segment will have been in operation for several years.

Yeah, NCDOT seems to be focused on US-117 between Mount Olive and Goldsboro first, including a section of I-795's new alignment, though NCDOT hasn't yet mentioned anything about replacing the substandard bridges crossing NC-55 in Mount Olive.

I'm just glad that the interchange at Oberry Road is finally being built. That traffic light, which was installed in 2004, shouldn't have been put there to begin with. I know the Dudley VFD will be very happy about it as well, considering the number of calls they responded to there...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.