News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

Four new gantries for overhead signage have been installed on I-285 west of 400: three eastbound, one westbound. The westbound one bears a sign for the Riverside Drive exit, but the others are bare so far.

Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 28, 2022, 12:56:49 PM
Does anyone know what will the exit ramps at 285 and Peachtree Industrial look like when complete? I'm under the assumption that there is supposed to be a C/D system of bridges and ramps between Buford hwy and the Chamblee-Dunwoody road exits? I bleeping hate that area during peak traffic times because of the last minute weaving of traffic to catch the exit to P.I.B.

I don't know of any such CD system. The current project at 285 and PIB will consolidate the two westbound offramps into one. I actually think that doing this will be modestly counterproductive because it'll shorten the already-inadequate distance between there and the Buford Highway onramp, but it's necessary in order to accommodate the planned ramp braid between the PIB onramp and the North Shallowford et al offramp.

AFAIK, there's no corresponding improvement proposed for the eastbound side. I don't think that building a mirror image of the westbound side would do any good since traffic from the eastbound offramp to PIB will continue to back up onto the mainline as long as it's a one-lane loop ramp. I dunno... maybe they'll go back to marking the loop ramp as two lanes if/when they replace the 285 bridges over PIB and can add more room there. That's not planned, either, though.

Georgia Guardrail

I believe they are building a separate bridge that will lead to the I-285 W to PIB south cloverleaf ramp.

Tom958

A GDOT maintenance crew has greened out the "Ind"s on the BGSs for Peachtree Industrial Boulevard on 285. I guess it'll be Peachtree Boulevard from now on, as it should've been from the beginning. Too bad they didn't come up with that before the current Series E(M) was installed a couple of years ago.

I'm also hearing that the southbound offramp from 400 to Abernathy Road will open in the next couple of weeks, and that it'll be denoted by the permanent signage-- no temporaries needed. The new ramp begins a good mile and a half from Abernathy. The leg of it that serves the North Springs MARTA station was opened a week or so ago.

US 89

Quote from: Tom958 on November 23, 2022, 12:42:17 AM
A GDOT maintenance crew has greened out the "Ind"s on the BGSs for Peachtree Industrial Boulevard on 285. I guess it'll be Peachtree Boulevard from now on, as it should've been from the beginning. Too bad they didn't come up with that before the current Series E(M) was installed a couple of years ago.

It's already Peachtree Blvd from 285 down to the junction with Peachtree Rd in western Chamblee, anyway. Any chance of the portion up in Gwinnett getting renamed too?

I'm for any change that simplifies street names in Atlanta. Way too many streets change names, portions of names, suffixes (Peachtree St randomly becomes Peachtree Rd somewhere between Midtown and Buckhead, for example), or even just spelling (Clairemont Rd in Decatur becomes Clairmont elsewhere). Then of course you have the duplicates. There's the well known Peachtree St/West Peachtree St pair plus a bunch of other Peachtrees that may or may not be nearby, but there's also Marietta St/West Marietta St/Marietta Blvd/Marietta Rd in the northwest part of the city.

Tom958

Quote from: US 89 on November 23, 2022, 03:33:30 AMIt's already Peachtree Blvd from 285 down to the junction with Peachtree Rd in western Chamblee, anyway. Any chance of the portion up in Gwinnett getting renamed too?

Not that I can find. The reason it's being changed on the 285 signs now is because the city of Doraville changed their section. Chamblee's was changed in 2008, BTW, which I must've heard about but forgotten.

Tomahawkin

Well, after modifications, the 285 Westside and IH 20 interchange will be set to begin in 2025. The over 1 billion project will be on par with the 285 SR 400 interchange. That means it will probably take 7-8 years to complete. This is understandable given the hilly terrain and the need to add Bridges over the Chattahoochee river

Tom958

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 12, 2022, 07:23:46 AM
Well, after modifications, the 285 Westside and IH 20 interchange will be set to begin in 2025. The over 1 billion project will be on par with the 285 SR 400 interchange. That means it will probably take 7-8 years to complete. This is understandable given the hilly terrain and the need to add Bridges over the Chattahoochee river

I wanted to go to the public meeting on December 13th, but I skipped it for one of my company's several Christmas parties.

I wanted to ask why they're adding an eastbound lane from Factory Shoals Road to the I-285 offramps except over the Chattahoochee River. I'm at a loss to understand that.

I'm hearing that this weekend, weather permitting, southbound GA 400  will be shifted to its new alignment from the Abernahy-Hammod offramp almost to 285. We'll see, I guess. It sure will be nice for the days of that left-side onramp from Abernathy to southbound 400 to be over.

Tomahawkin

Yeah, I bleeping loathe that left hand merge off Abernathy to 400 especially while trying to get to the 285 ramp.

In another project. I saw that a 2 lane bridge will carry traffic from Druid Hills road North to the IH 85 south ramp to alleviate the congestion on the bridge. I'm guessing that this intersection will be something similar to what was done at the US 78 SR 124 interchange in Snellville. That project was putting a bandaid on a bullet wound IMO...

Georgia Guardrail

Quote from: Tom958 on December 14, 2022, 05:34:51 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 12, 2022, 07:23:46 AM

I wanted to go to the public meeting on December 13th, but I skipped it for one of my company's several Christmas parties.

I wanted to ask why they're adding an eastbound lane from Factory Shoals Road to the I-285 offramps except over the Chattahoochee River. I'm at a loss to understand that.

I'm hearing that this weekend, weather permitting, southbound GA 400  will be shifted to its new alignment from the Abernahy-Hammod offramp almost to 285. We'll see, I guess. It sure will be nice for the days of that left-side onramp from Abernathy to southbound 400 to be over.

Yeah I really hope they do.  Because that is a huge bottleneck.  I imagine that when they do this they will also shift the SR 400 exit ramp to Abernathy to where the new Marta ramp has recently opened up.

Tomahawkin

Does anyone know what the purpose of putting a roundabout on the ramp of the Buford/Spring street connector serves? I think it's going to be used as a way to take traffic away from the Monroe Drive ramp. IMO this does nothing and will be a waste of taxpayer money...

architect77

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 17, 2022, 01:27:56 PM
Does anyone know what the purpose of putting a roundabout on the ramp of the Buford/Spring street connector serves? I think it's going to be used as a way to take traffic away from the Monroe Drive ramp. IMO this does nothing and will be a waste of taxpayer money...

This is to provide access to a new street and development where the couple of buildings were torn down on the hill, Iconologic was the name.

Tomahawkin

Does anyone know what's on deck to begin in 2023? G-Dot Tease The Folks? OT that Bridge replacement project on 285 @400 will still be going on a year from today. Bank On It!

roadwaywiz95

For this upcoming weekend's Webinar presentation, we'll be taking a look at the freeway system of northern Georgia and the Atlanta metropolitan area. Coverage will begin on Saturday (1/7) at 5 PM ET (please note the start time) and will feature live contributions from members of this forum; we hope to see you there!

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Tomahawkin

Found out per GDOT that the IH 285/20 interchange construction of flyover ramps and C/D lanes will begin in late spring. Thank gawd, this was 25+ years overdue

Georgia Guardrail

Apparently they closed the extended I 285 EB to Roswell Rd ramp and reverted to the old alignment about a month ago.  Emergency repairs?  Anyone know the reason?

Tom958

GDOT has released a diagram of the long-awaited southbound 400 CD swap at Abernathy and Hammond, five weeks after the last try. There's a rain threat over Saturday night-Sunday morning, so it remains to be seen whether they actually implement it this weekend. 

Georgia Guardrail

Looks like the realignment for 400 SB has been pushed back (unsurprisingly) due to the rain.  When I last went by today, it seems they haven't put up any signs on the gantries yet either.

Tomahawkin

IMO GDOT underestimated a lot of things with the 400/285 interchange, which caused the completion to be delayed by 2 years. I expect the same thing to happen to both the future 400 and 285 top end express lanes projects. I base this in that they have little space to build both projects. Not to mention bridges over the Chattahoochee have to be built. It baffles me as to why they are not already in the process of building them???

thisdj78

Hey, I'm just now following this thread. Sorry if I missed it when I browsed through the older pages but are there any new freeway corridors planned for the greater Atlanta area?

Tom958

Quote from: thisdj78 on January 23, 2023, 11:49:00 AM
Hey, I'm just now following this thread. Sorry if I missed it when I browsed through the older pages but are there any new freeway corridors planned for the greater Atlanta area?

No. The closest thing would be the gradual conversion of GA 316 to full freeway in the next few years.

Tomahawkin

Yeah, I don't think we will even see plans of another Freeway or interstate in the plans til the mid 2030's at the earliest

ran4sh

Quote from: thisdj78 on January 23, 2023, 11:49:00 AM

Not really, Georgia hasn't really built new freeways in the past 4 decades or so. (Yes there are a few exceptions, but still.) Democrats here are against new roads for the usual reasons, while Republicans here are also against new roads, because they're not willing to spend the money for it.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

sprjus4

^ At least Georgia has been able to expand I-95 and I-75 to 6 lanes, and is actively working on I-85.

US 89

They dropped the ball on I-20 west to Alabama, though...

Georgia

20 will be the last of the 4 major interstates to be fully 3 laned as it should be based on AADT

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.