News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Mountain View Corridor

Started by US 89, April 15, 2018, 10:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Since discussion of MVC seems to be spread out across several threads, I figured I’d start this one devoted to it.

Anyway, UDOT is currently designing the next section of the corridor to be built in Utah County: from the 2100 North/Redwood Road intersection south to SR-73. Just like the southern half of the existing Salt Lake County portion, just the frontage roads will be built for this stage. However, there will be a 6’ sidewalk on the east side and a 10’ trail on the west side. Construction is expected to begin this year and finish in 2019.

Project website

i-215

It's a nice improvement from the original drawing which just had a 1+1 configuration (only the easterly pavement section).  I'm glad UDOT got it funded enough to do the full frontage road (2x2).

As a note, a recent Transportation Commission Meeting had a land swap deal with a developer about a mile or two south of the terminus with SR-73.  The state is very serious about taking MVC farther south than 73 (along Utah Lake), even though no formal studies have been conducted yet.

US 89

Quote from: i-215 on April 17, 2018, 12:03:11 AM
As a note, a recent Transportation Commission Meeting had a land swap deal with a developer about a mile or two south of the terminus with SR-73.  The state is very serious about taking MVC farther south than 73 (along Utah Lake), even though no formal studies have been conducted yet.

Sure enough, here's a new YouTube video from UDOT, which mentions that UDOT and local governments are studying a freeway extension south on Foothill Blvd to Pony Express Parkway.

It also discusses the SR-73 freeway proposal from MVC west to Eagle Mountain Blvd. I like the idea, but IMO, any freeway upgrades of 73 should be delayed until 2100 North is upgraded to a freeway. The 73 freeway upgrade will do no good if you're still going to have to stop at a light at Redwood.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: US 89 on June 27, 2018, 07:26:19 PM
Quote from: i-215 on April 17, 2018, 12:03:11 AM

Sure enough, here's a new YouTube video from UDOT, which mentions that UDOT and local governments are studying a freeway extension south on Foothill Blvd to Pony Express Parkway.

It also discusses the SR-73 freeway proposal from MVC west to Eagle Mountain Blvd. I like the idea, but IMO, any freeway upgrades of 73 should be delayed until 2100 North is upgraded to a freeway. The 73 freeway upgrade will do no good if you're still going to have to stop at a light at Redwood.

Honestly for years now I said to myself I wouldn't be surprised if they extended it to at least US-6 with a bypass of Santaquin and called it Interstate 415. Go big or go home.

JKRhodes

Any plans to tie in between 2100 North and Porter Rockwell Blvd? Alternative studies? Seems like a tight squeeze through there; NSA and National Guard offices also seem like unlikely candidates for ROW acquisition.

US 89

Quote from: BigManFromAFRICA88 on June 28, 2018, 12:44:11 PM
Honestly for years now I said to myself I wouldn't be surprised if they extended it to at least US-6 with a bypass of Santaquin and called it Interstate 415. Go big or go home.

I wouldn’t be surprised about an extension to US 6 in the (very) long run, but I would be very surprised if it was given an interstate style number, much less signed as one. UDOT has missed a lot of chances for this (other examples include SR-7, 67, 154, 201, and the future 179), so I see no reason why they’d suddenly change their minds.

Quote from: roadiejay on July 12, 2018, 08:44:01 PM
Any plans to tie in between 2100 North and Porter Rockwell Blvd? Alternative studies? Seems like a tight squeeze through there; NSA and National Guard offices also seem like unlikely candidates for ROW acquisition.

Yes, though it’s currently unfunded. To my knowledge, no studies have been done for that segment specifically. Regarding the ROW, I thought the same at first, but based on the interactive map, it looks like there’s enough room.

Here’s a map of the MVC project’s initial phase (future frontage roads/outside lanes): EDIT: the map isn't showing, so here's a link to it.

I didn’t realize the northern extension was funded past 201, up to California. That’s probably new in the past few months.

JKRhodes

Interesting. On a side note, I am moving to Utah in a couple of weeks, hence the newfound personal interest in their road systems. Compared to my home state of Arizona, Utah definitely has its own set of unique challenges due to geographical restraints. I see a lot of forward thinking with the Mountain View Corridor and other future freeways.

At the same time, Utah has its work cut out for it with the challenge of building suitable alternatives to I-80 and I-15, going from Salt Lake into Toole and Utah counties respectively.

US 89

I've recently been made aware of a redesignation of the Mountain View Corridor's 2100 North segment. According to the Online Highway Reference, the 2100 North segment is now designated as SR 194. This appears to be in advance of the opening of the segment between 2100 North/Redwood and SR 73, which will be designated as an extension of SR 85.

This redesignation caught me by surprise, as it was never brought up in a Transportation Commission meeting. It's worth noting that the Legislature still has to officially change these defintions, which will likely happen next month.

The new descriptions for the routes, at least in the HRO, are as follows:

Quote from: SR 85From Route 73 in Saratoga Springs northerly via Mountain View Highway to Route 68 at 2100 North in Lehi; then beginning again at Route 68 westerly on Porter Rockwell Blvd; then northerly on Mountain View Hwy to 4100 South

Quote from: SR 194From Route 15 westerly on 2100 North in Lehi to Route 68

This also means the weird situation of SR 73 and 145 ending at the same place no longer makes much sense to me. At this point, the two routes really should just be combined into one, and either redesignate the eastern SR 73 segment or delete it entirely.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Drove down the Redwood Road/Pioneer Crossing route on a bypass of Point of the Mountain and witnessed that construction has started in extending those frontage roads, didn't take pics tho...

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone know if the Mountain View Corridor has exit numbers? Or whether it will have exit numbers in the future? I prefer roads with interchanges to have numbers (mileage-based, not sequential).

US 89

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 19, 2018, 04:42:51 PM
Does anyone know if the Mountain View Corridor has exit numbers? Or whether it will have exit numbers in the future? I prefer roads with interchanges to have numbers (mileage-based, not sequential).

Well, there are no interchanges on the Mountain View Corridor as of now, nor will there be for some time. I fully expect the future interchanges to be numbered, based on existing practice on nearby highways such as Bangerter. Utah seems to have a general practice of numbering exits on all freeways.

Rover_0

Quote from: US 89 on December 17, 2018, 11:47:35 PM
I've recently been made aware of a redesignation of the Mountain View Corridor's 2100 North segment. According to the Online Highway Reference, the 2100 North segment is now designated as SR 194. This appears to be in advance of the opening of the segment between 2100 North/Redwood and SR 73, which will be designated as an extension of SR 85.

This redesignation caught me by surprise, as it was never brought up in a Transportation Commission meeting. It's worth noting that the Legislature still has to officially change these defintions, which will likely happen next month.

The new descriptions for the routes, at least in the HRO, are as follows:

Quote from: SR 85From Route 73 in Saratoga Springs northerly via Mountain View Highway to Route 68 at 2100 North in Lehi; then beginning again at Route 68 westerly on Porter Rockwell Blvd; then northerly on Mountain View Hwy to 4100 South

Quote from: SR 194From Route 15 westerly on 2100 North in Lehi to Route 68

This also means the weird situation of SR 73 and 145 ending at the same place no longer makes much sense to me. At this point, the two routes really should just be combined into one, and either redesignate the eastern SR 73 segment or delete it entirely.

I'm surprised by this as well! I was told by someone at UDOT's Region 3 that SR-85 was going to have a double ending...I'm glad to see that this is not the case.

However, something needs to be done about SR-73. Just as you said above, merge the primary western segment and SR-145 and redesignate the eastern segment (if not, get rid of said eastern segment altogether).
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

US 89

In addition to the ongoing Utah County work, construction has now started on the next Salt Lake County extension of the Mountain View Corridor. The website says the extension will go to SR 201, but maps and diagrams suggest it will go all the way to California Avenue.

Here's a simulation of the Mountain View and 201 interchange. I'm a little bit sad they aren't building this out as the full system interchange from the beginning, but I suppose it doesn't matter as long as they actually preserve the ROW (unlike Bangerter).

triplemultiplex

Quote from: US 89 on April 28, 2019, 12:11:08 PM

I thought that cloverleaf was looking pretty shrimpy, but then I realized it's a bike path!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Plutonic Panda

^^^^ I always thought it'd be cool to have a stack bike interchange. Necessary? No. But cool? Hell yes. It'd be an attraction too.

US 89

The grand opening of the new segment in Utah County has been announced for October 26, 2019. As the legislature defined earlier this year, this will be designated as a new segment of SR 85.

I will be curious to see what route signage is like at the endpoints. At the north end, SR 85 hops on what might be considered a concurrency with 68, and while there is some signage to support this, the previous signage at this intersection featured an END 85 sign (where 194 ends now). Meanwhile, the south end is a block from the intersection where SR 73 and 145 currently end at each other. I wonder if UDOT will sign the literal route definitions (EAST 73 TO 145, even though 73 ends in a block), or just hand-wave it as 73 west/145 east. Maybe at some point the 73/145 junction will be officially moved to the 85 intersection, or perhaps something totally different happens with the designations. Either way, as they are currently defined, three state routes are essentially going to end at each other.

Rover_0

Quote from: US 89 on October 09, 2019, 01:40:47 AM
The grand opening of the new segment in Utah County has been announced for October 26, 2019. As the legislature defined earlier this year, this will be designated as a new segment of SR 85.

I will be curious to see what route signage is like at the endpoints. At the north end, SR 85 hops on what might be considered a concurrency with 68, and while there is some signage to support this, the previous signage at this intersection featured an END 85 sign (where 194 ends now). Meanwhile, the south end is a block from the intersection where SR 73 and 145 currently end at each other. I wonder if UDOT will sign the literal route definitions (EAST 73 TO 145, even though 73 ends in a block), or just hand-wave it as 73 west/145 east. Maybe at some point the 73/145 junction will be officially moved to the 85 intersection, or perhaps something totally different happens with the designations. Either way, as they are currently defined, three state routes are essentially going to end at each other.

It'll be interesting, that's for sure. My wife and I went down to that area earlier in the year, and at least at the time, going south from the current 68/85/131 junction, there was proper concurrent signage for SR-68 *and* SR-85. I'll have to dig up that picture and post it sometime.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

US 89

Quote from: Rover_0 on October 10, 2019, 05:49:39 PM
I'll have to dig up that picture and post it sometime.

Not if I beat you to it!  :bigass:

Also interesting to me was that a special Mountain View shield exists. From what I observed, it appears to apply only to the multi-use trail and not the highway.

As for a possible 73/145 move, there is conflicting signage on the ground as of now. Perhaps the strongest evidence for a future move is this pair of signs at the west end of Crossroads Blvd, where the currently-defined split is. They replaced a set of signs that read EAST 145/WEST 73.

US 89

I finally got around to driving the new Utah County MVC segment. It's built in a similar fashion as the southern half of the Salt Lake County portion, but it has a posted speed limit of 40 mph presumably due to the pedestrian crossing at Harvest Moon Drive (not sure why a regular traffic signal wasn't put in there). I'd bet the average speed is far closer to the 55 mph speed limit on the northern portion.

As for the state highways at the southern end: the legislature changed nothing in this year's set of updates, but signage in all four directions is consistently marking a triple terminus of SR 73, 85, and 145, with an END sign posted on each of the three approaches requiring one. The street blades for the east-west street still just have SR 73/Cory B Wride Memorial Highway and leave off any mention of 145, but ground signage is clear that 145 has been extended slightly west.

At this point, I see no excuse to not combine 73 and 145 under one number and change the eastern 73 stub to something else.

i-215

MVC through Herriman had a 40 mph speed limit initially.  UDOT gradually raised it to 55 over two raises.

IIRC, the idea is to set the limit low initially while the community gets used to the highway, and then raise it as local drivers become comfortable.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Landing at SLC this week, I saw from above significant progress on the MVC/SR 201/5600 West interchange complex. I didn't take pics but it looks like they're making quick work of the segment north from 4100 South, and I remember seeing the frontage roads and 5600 West ramps already being rearranged and rebuilt.

andy3175

Concerns about accidents along Utah 85 Mountain View Corridor caused by traffic signals, speed limit changes, distance between directions of traffic (due to interim configuration), and need for more advanced warning signs:

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/local-drivers-worry-about-the-number-of-incidents-and-close-calls-on-mountain-view-corridor/amp/

With population growth in Salt Lake County happening quickly, Mountain View Corridor offers another way around the valley. But the number of incidents and close calls on this major roadway has locals concerned.

"I just think, there's enough accidents on the same roads, that it's time to look at the safety precautions and you know, measures,"  said driver Brittany Morazan.

"The street lights you come up on pretty quick if you don't know the road well,"  said driver Justin Clark about the highway. "I think there's also a lot of confusion where the road is separated by land in between...because you have two lanes you have to pay attention to."
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

US 89

I drove down today to see the progress that's been made so far on the extension to California Ave, especially around the interchange with 201. It looks just about ready to go for its planned opening on June 16, with the exception of maybe some bridge work at 201. Here are a few selected photos I took (pardon poor quality on anything taken from a distance or through a car window).

From eastbound 201 and its exit to 56th West:

Westbound 201:

Northbound Mountain View:

Southbound Mountain View:

And a few shots from the multi-use trailhead at the north 201 frontage road:

(Yeah, I had to look up where Anna Caroline Drive was. That is not a recognizable street name to anyone who's not very familiar with that neighborhood - hopefully it's not too much to ask that the trail have maps when it's done?)

These are going to be the first numbered exits on Mountain View - 27th South will be exit 23, while 201 will be exit 24. 24 is weird - northbound exit 24A will go to 201 east, while "exit 24B" will go to 201 west... except it's not an exit, just a regular at-grade left turn. Meanwhile, there will be no access from southbound Mountain View to 201 east, so exit 24 southbound just goes to 201 west.

Also not sure why Mountain View's exit from 201 will receive letter suffixes in one direction but not the other. It's 10B-A westbound but only 10 eastbound... despite the fact that the geometry is very similar in both cases, with one ramp that splits soon after exiting from the 201 mainline.

i-215

Drove MVC this past weekend.  The lack of grade separation really stands out now -- something must have psychologically changed in my head now that it is connected to SR-201.

Traffic still seems to be taking 5600 West more than MVC, though I expect the load to re-balance in the months ahead.  Can't wait to see it again next time I'm in Utah and see if 5600 West is more sane to drive on now.

andy3175

The photos look great, and I look forward to diving it soon. Here are a few statistics that came from a new article about the opening:

-  New section between 4100 South to state Route 201 opened Thursday, June 17, 2021

- 4 miles long

- 2 lanes in each direction

- 13 new bridges

- 6 pedestrian bridges

- 2 year construction period

- Cost estimated at $225 million

https://www.ksl.com/article/50189150/udot-opens-new-section-of-mountain-view-corridor-from-4100-south-to-sr-201

QuoteDrivers can now take MVC from Redwood Road in Bluffdale to S.R. 201 in West Valley City; the 4-mile section that opened Thursday marked the first time Mountain View Corridor could connect to an east-west freeway system.

A segment of the corridor also runs from S.R. 73 in Saratoga Springs to 2100 North in Lehi, with a highway connection to I-15.

MVC will eventually be a 35-mile highway that runs from Saratoga Springs to I-80, just west of the Salt Lake City International Airport. ...

The next phase of MVC construction will begin in 2023 connecting the Salt Lake County section that ends at 16000 South with the Utah County section at 2100 North in Lehi.

Funding to turn the corridor into a freeway, similar to Bangerter Highway, has been approved for the section between 16000 South and Old Bingham Highway.

Funding for the connection from S.R. 201 to I-80 has not been approved.

SM-G975U

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.