News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Something that I've been wondering about. It doesn't bother me as such, but makes me think about it.

My car can tell me how far I can drive on the remaining gas. Suppose there is 10 gallons in the tank, and I'm getting 30 mpg. It should tell me 300 miles to empty. Now suppose that I speed up and get down to 25 mpg. The display doesn't immediately change to 250 miles to empty. I wonder when the number resets.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on August 07, 2022, 03:17:54 PM
When I see servers, chefs, and cooks wear disposable latex gloves when cooking/serving/touching food.  I have a very strong sense of smell and can smell the rubber on the food.  Plus this is dangerous for people with latex allergies.

It seems more restaurants are switching to nitrile and vinyl gloves which is great.

What bothers me about gloves is that it's usually Food Safety Theater because it's done wrong.  If a person is performing multiple tasks (e.g. handling a raw protein, then handling money, then handling other food items) and not changing into fresh gloves between each one, he/she might as well not bother wearing gloves at all and not washing.  Either way, hello cross-contamination.

ETA:  I just now saw that Scott already made this point in #4623.

webny99

Quote from: GaryV on August 08, 2022, 09:22:35 AM
Something that I've been wondering about. It doesn't bother me as such, but makes me think about it.

My car can tell me how far I can drive on the remaining gas. Suppose there is 10 gallons in the tank, and I'm getting 30 mpg. It should tell me 300 miles to empty. Now suppose that I speed up and get down to 25 mpg. The display doesn't immediately change to 250 miles to empty. I wonder when the number resets.

It must be taking an average. It's probably not showing exactly 300 miles when you're getting exactly 30 mpg, either.

I believe I've mentioned this before but I've seen my "miles to empty" steadily increase while cruising at around 55 mph. After speeding up, the "miles to empty" started to go down again.

Scott5114

On my car, you can reset the trip computer data that it uses to calculate average MPG (and thus the remaining gas mileage) at will. So I would assume if you never reset it, it would just keep amassing data and you'd end up with something close to the lifetime MPG of the car.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Yes, we had a reset for trip odometer. Until the button on the steering wheel went out and it wasn't worth taking the car in to fix it. So maybe it still is using the average mpg for a very long trip. The trip odometer reset automatically at 2000 miles; I'm not sure if the rest of the data did so. Although if the correct screen was up on the dash display (which the button won't change any more) it would show the current mpg and that would fluctuate every few seconds depending on what you were doing with the throttle or if you were on a hill.

Georgia Guardrail

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 08, 2022, 09:48:32 AM
Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on August 07, 2022, 03:17:54 PM
When I see servers, chefs, and cooks wear disposable latex gloves when cooking/serving/touching food.  I have a very strong sense of smell and can smell the rubber on the food.  Plus this is dangerous for people with latex allergies.

It seems more restaurants are switching to nitrile and vinyl gloves which is great.

What bothers me about gloves is that it's usually Food Safety Theater because it's done wrong.  If a person is performing multiple tasks (e.g. handling a raw protein, then handling money, then handling other food items) and not changing into fresh gloves between each one, he/she might as well not bother wearing gloves at all and not washing.  Either way, hello cross-contamination.

ETA:  I just now saw that Scott already made this point in #4623.

I think the Food Safety Theater is done for all the hypochondriac Karens that are out there.

Scott5114

Quote from: GaryV on August 08, 2022, 06:10:15 PM
Yes, we had a reset for trip odometer. Until the button on the steering wheel went out and it wasn't worth taking the car in to fix it. So maybe it still is using the average mpg for a very long trip. The trip odometer reset automatically at 2000 miles; I'm not sure if the rest of the data did so. Although if the correct screen was up on the dash display (which the button won't change any more) it would show the current mpg and that would fluctuate every few seconds depending on what you were doing with the throttle or if you were on a hill.

Mine has two MPG display screens, the average, and "inst", which fluctuates the way yours does.

CapeCodder

A-frame buildings in areas such as Cape Cod. When I think of A-frames, I think of the Alps. Sand piles like Cape Cod are the furthest thing from it.

Georgia Guardrail

Another one I have is people who wear the Salty Dog Cafe T-shirts when they haven't actually been there.

kurumi

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on August 09, 2022, 12:02:42 PM
Another one I have is people who wear the Salty Dog Cafe T-shirts when they haven't actually been there.

(sorry for stirring shit up, but this came to mind...)

"You've been to Salty Dog? Name three appetizers."

"Uhhh... Jake's Hush Puppies; uhhh... Gator Bites.... um - Onion Rings?"

(scoffs) "Poser."
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kkt

Quote from: kurumi on August 09, 2022, 12:30:03 PM

(sorry for stirring shit up, but this came to mind...)

"Uhhh... Jake's Hush Puppies; uhhh... Gator Bites.... um - Onion Rings?"

(scoffs) "Poser."

:-D :-D

formulanone

I used to privately resent it if people gave me a T-shirt from a place I'd never visited, because then I'd have the social anxiety of explaining how I got it.

"Where'd you get the Mexico shirt?"

Me: "Luxembourg, I think."

Quote from: kurumi on August 09, 2022, 12:30:03 PM

:-D

GaryV

Quote from: CapeCodder on August 09, 2022, 09:56:08 AM
A-frame buildings in areas such as Cape Cod. When I think of A-frames, I think of the Alps. Sand piles like Cape Cod are the furthest thing from it.

Quite a few lake homes in Michigan are A-frames.

Scott5114

When I'm on a roadgeeking trip somewhere far from where I usually go, and I run across a traffic counter. I feel bad that I'm skewing the results slightly.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 10, 2022, 04:44:07 PM
When I'm on a roadgeeking trip somewhere far from where I usually go, and I run across a traffic counter. I feel bad that I'm skewing the results slightly.

If it wasn't you though, it would be somebody else. Probably at least 5-10% of traffic on most roads isn't going to be repeating regularly (and that's just a guess - maybe much more than that on major through routes like interstates?), so that's why it's an average.

ran4sh

Just go over the counter repeatedly on the same day or something, then when they look at the data, that day shows as an outlier and they ignore it.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

roadman65

Considering many like to cruise who aren't road geeks nowadays, you're none other than those others who refuse to get a life.

Not saying we don't have lives, but many non road geeks who cruise around in their automobiles for recreation, are life less if they can't find friends or find something on line to occupy themselves.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

Had this happened to me today in a retail store:

Kid was not looking where he was running, which was toward my stopped cart.  Parents were a few steps behind....

To avoid the likely potential of the kid crashing into my stopped cart and getting hurt, I gave a courteous "CAREFUL" warning, since the parents were not acting on the situation. 

Kid stopped, but the father gave me the evil eye like, "How DARE you reprimand my child!"

Hey, I'm just avoiding an injury to your kid, which wouldn't have been my fault in the first place as you weren't doing your parenting duties!

abefroman329

Best to just run into the kid.

gonealookin

I got a new credit card in the mail today, and immediately went to set it up on Google Pay, which I use all the time in stores.  Couldn't do it, and when I looked up the reason why:

QuoteAll Citi branded consumer credit and debit cards issued in the US are eligible for Google Pay, except for ATM cards, American Express® cards, and Citi® / AAdvantage® cards.

Well, why is that specific one excluded?  Yes, I can use the actual card, but I have to dig it out of my wallet, when with all my other credit cards I just use the phone.  At least this one is the low-end, no annual fee "AAdvantage MileUp" card so I didn't commit to an annual fee before finding out about this omission.

CapeCodder

Quote from: GaryV on August 10, 2022, 08:52:48 AM
Quote from: CapeCodder on August 09, 2022, 09:56:08 AM

Quite a few lake homes in Michigan are A-frames.

The lake effect snow is a good reason for the A-frames. I should've clarified. Places where snow is measured in feet, not inches are good places for A-frames. Cape Cod doesn't get much snow.

zachary_amaryllis

Windows progress bars/indications.

When the computer says 'You're 100% there", I expect things to happen soon. They don't.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Scott5114

All of the junk mail and spam calls/texts from people begging for us to sell our house to them. Who decides they're just going to up and move from a spam call?

Big John

Being ridiculed for not getting sarcasm.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Big John on August 17, 2022, 05:30:13 PM
Being ridiculed for not getting sarcasm.
You have got to be kidding me, how do you not get sarcasm?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.