News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US '191Y' - A real route?

Started by Exit58, March 20, 2020, 10:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exit58

So I stumbled across the highway milage book saved in my downloads and was doing some pursuing and found exit 355 on I-10 for Page Ranch Road, AKA UY 191. What is this suffix? Is this route signed in the field? It looks to go to US 191 via Page Ranch Road, avoiding a possible overshooting if driving westbound on I-10. There only seem to be a handful on mentions online, all here on AARoads. I know AZ uses the X suffix for deleted routes, but I have never seen 'Y' before.

usends

I bet the "Y" is shorthand for "wye junction".  If you look at it on a map, it makes sense: the road in question is the third leg in the triangle formed between I-10 exits 352 and 355.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Exit58

Quote from: usends on March 21, 2020, 11:06:24 AM
I bet the "Y" is shorthand for "wye junction".  If you look at it on a map, it makes sense: the road in question is the third leg in the triangle formed between I-10 exits 352 and 355.

I'm sure that's why. But is it still technically a 'US' highway? According to the highway log it is, but do the feds recognize it? Also at some point I saw it on an older map from back in the 40s-50s that had a state highway number on it, back before I-10 and when US 191 was still US 666.

usends

I see there's a mention of it on Alan Hamilton's US 191 webpage, giving some of the history.  Backing up the info on there, I see the 1946 topo showed US 666 only along the road that is now designated 191Y, connecting with AZ 86 (which would later become I-10).  By the time of the 1957 topo, both roads were there, but the east leg was not labeled with any designation.

I can't answer your other question with certainty, but I bet AASHTO doesn't know about 191Y, I would think that's just an AZDoT designation.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Max Rockatansky

I suspected for a long time that Page Ranch Road was part of State Inventory.  If you're headed west on I-10 Exit 355 is signed as "To US 191 North" towards Safford.  It doesn't make any sense to exit further west if you're heading towards Safford or Globe.  I used Page Ranch Road a lot returning from work trips in New Mexico. 

Konza

I drove this stretch yesterday.  Northbound, the only marking on it is a sign just north of I-10 that says "NORTH (US 191 shield) 3 MILES" .  Southbound, no markings at all.  On US 191, at the wye, the sign just says "Bowie" , with an arrow pointing left.  Not even "to East I-10" .

Was a bit surprised to find that US 191 is four lanes divided for a few miles north of there.  Rand McNally does not so indicate.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Konza on March 23, 2020, 12:29:52 PM
I drove this stretch yesterday.  Northbound, the only marking on it is a sign just north of I-10 that says "NORTH (US 191 shield) 3 MILES" .  Southbound, no markings at all.  On US 191, at the wye, the sign just says "Bowie" , with an arrow pointing left.  Not even "to East I-10" .

Was a bit surprised to find that US 191 is four lanes divided for a few miles north of there.  Rand McNally does not so indicate.

A lot of that four laning is fairly recent and was very welcome when it opened.  The Safford area pretty much is the population nucleus of almost the entirety of Graham County and US 191/US 70 is one of the main freight roads to the mining districts around Globe.

Mapmikey

Quote from: usends on March 22, 2020, 07:13:51 PM
I see there's a mention of it on Alan Hamilton's US 191 webpage, giving some of the history.  Backing up the info on there, I see the 1946 topo showed US 666 only along the road that is now designated 191Y, connecting with AZ 86 (which would later become I-10).  By the time of the 1957 topo, both roads were there, but the east leg was not labeled with any designation.

I can't answer your other question with certainty, but I bet AASHTO doesn't know about 191Y, I would think that's just an AZDoT designation.

It is noted that the 1989 AASHTO route log does not show a US 666Y or SPUR route either.

DJStephens

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2020, 12:37:49 PM
Quote from: Konza on March 23, 2020, 12:29:52 PM

A lot of that four laning is fairly recent and was very welcome when it opened.  The Safford area pretty much is the population nucleus of almost the entirety of Graham County and US 191/US 70 is one of the main freight roads to the mining districts around Globe.

The four lane section ends at MM 104 on US 191.  It would be beneficial to see that four lane cross section continue straight N, following the high tension line, to the current intersection of US 70 and 191 east of Safford.  Giving Morenci bound freight a faster and safer option.   Would construct a diamond interchange - with 191 going over current US 70 at that point.  The current US 191 into Safford would become Business 191.   

halork

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 23, 2020, 04:26:00 PM
Quote from: usends on March 22, 2020, 07:13:51 PM

It is noted that the 1989 AASHTO route log does not show a US 666Y or SPUR route either.

I do remember from ages past (late 70's) that US-666Y was indeed signed prior to the US-191 replacement. I actually remember seeing the sign on I-10 and thinking it was weird.

JKRhodes

Page Ranch was signed as 191 for many years for traffic headed westbound on I-10. If memory serves, ADOT removed all of that and replaced with "To US 191" markers around 2011.

US 191 Proper between I-10 and State Route 266 was twinned over a series of projects between 2004 and 2006. The rationale was based on safety rather than volume, and justified based on the fact that it was cheaper to build a parallel roadway and tie in, rather than attempt to widen the existing alignment while it carried traffic. The remainder of US 191 between SR 266 and Safford is still undergoing studies to determine its final alignment; the current alignment is not preferred for widening due to ROW and other concerns.

DJStephens

Had heard, while working in Safford, from an unofficial source, that yes the state department was planning on "upgrading" the existing US - 191 alignment N into Safford. 
    Maybe as a complete three lane job, extending it S from where it currently ends.   Yes believe a new terrain four lane would be preferable, to the E, maintaining the wide median, and routing heavy mine freight away from Safford proper.   

Exit58

Quote from: DJStephens on August 04, 2020, 12:50:16 PM
    Had heard, while working in Safford, from an unofficial source, that yes the state department was planning on "upgrading" the existing US - 191 alignment N into Safford. 
    Maybe as a complete three lane job, extending it S from where it currently ends.   Yes believe a new terrain four lane would be preferable, to the E, maintaining the wide median, and routing heavy mine freight away from Safford proper.

I can see re-aligning US 191 to bypass Safford, maybe even removing the US 70 overlap. But 3 lanes in both directions is excessive to say the least. I-10 isn't even six lanes from Phoenix to Casa Grande (yet) or from Phoenix to Indio and those are much, much more traveled routes. Four lanes would be warranted however. I got stuck behind slow traffic heading north into Safford and wanted to rip my hair out.

DJStephens

Quote from: Exit58 on August 08, 2020, 08:21:20 PM

I can see re-aligning US 191 to bypass Safford, maybe even removing the US 70 overlap. But 3 lanes in both directions is excessive to say the least. I-10 isn't even six lanes from Phoenix to Casa Grande (yet) or from Phoenix to Indio and those are much, much more traveled routes. Four lanes would be warranted however. I got stuck behind slow traffic heading north into Safford and wanted to rip my hair out.

No I was talking about extending the center turn lane section farther south.  South of where it ends on "old" 191 S of the city limits.  Perhaps with some "passing" lanes as well.   Was not meaning three lanes in each direction.   
A three lane job, where the highway carries a significant portion of it's traffic, as heavy freight is not preferable imho.  The tex-dot did this on US - 285 N of Pecos and it is a FAIL.   

Exit58

Quote from: DJStephens on August 08, 2020, 09:45:43 PM

No I was talking about extending the center turn lane section farther south.  South of where it ends on "old" 191 S of the city limits.  Perhaps with some "passing" lanes as well.   Was not meaning three lanes in each direction.   
A three lane job, where the highway carries a significant portion of it's traffic, as heavy freight is not preferable imho.  The tex-dot did this on US - 285 N of Pecos and it is a FAIL.

Ahhhh ok I see what you mean.  :pan: I find it interesting where the divided highway/expressway ends, just sorta randomly at SR 266 to I-10. I could see an interim upgrade with passing lanes until they could make it 4-lanes to Safford.

I still like the idea of bypassing Safford on 191 and even removing the 70 overlap. I was navigating to Morenci and my Gamin, Google, and Apple all wanted me to take Lone Star Road to reach US 70 on the eastern edge of town. I can see people listening to this and that street becoming another victim of GPS routings.

DJStephens

Quote from: Exit58 on August 11, 2020, 02:56:51 AM
Quote from: DJStephens on August 08, 2020, 09:45:43 PM

Ahhhh ok I see what you mean.  :pan: I find it interesting where the divided highway/expressway ends, just sorta randomly at SR 266 to I-10. I could see an interim upgrade with passing lanes until they could make it 4-lanes to Safford.

I still like the idea of bypassing Safford on 191 and even removing the 70 overlap. I was navigating to Morenci and my Gamin, Google, and Apple all wanted me to take Lone Star Road to reach US 70 on the eastern edge of town. I can see people listening to this and that street becoming another victim of GPS routings.

Yes that is what they SHOULD do.  Continue the four lane cross section N, breaking away from current 191, which would become Business 191.  Follow the high tension line, curve to the NNE, and meet the current junction of US 70 and 191 east of San Jose.  Would largely remove N - S heavy mine freight from Safford proper.  A diamond interchange could be built there, elevating 191 over 70 at that current intersection.  With collector/distributor frontage for 191 at the interchange. The national truck stop chains could all establish locations at each corner - Loves, Pilot, Flying J, etc.   What they WILL do may be far less optimal or desirable.   

JKRhodes

ADOT rolled out a bypass study in 2011 for both US 70 and for US 191. It would have routed 70 along the base of Mt. Graham, then east along the 5000 South (Powerline Rd) alignment south of Safford before joining up with the old US 70 somewhere around San Jose. 191 would have followed a new 4-lane highway northeast from the junction at AZ 266 and intersected the new US 70 somewhere southeast of Safford

The idea was shot down by local leaders pretty fast. They look at what happened to Holbrook, Winslow, Downtown Mesa, etc. and want nothing to do with a bypass.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JKRhodes on August 18, 2020, 12:34:58 PM
ADOT rolled out a bypass study in 2011 for both US 70 and for US 191. It would have routed 70 along the base of Mt. Graham, then east along the 5000 South (Powerline Rd) alignment south of Safford before joining up with the old US 70 somewhere around San Jose. 191 would have followed a new 4-lane highway northeast from the junction at AZ 266 and intersected the new US 70 somewhere southeast of Safford

The idea was shot down by local leaders pretty fast. They look at what happened to Holbrook, Winslow, Downtown Mesa, etc. and want nothing to do with a bypass.

There is a substantial difference in circumstances though given Safford/Thatcher is the only locale with real services between Lordsburg and Globe.  If anything getting heavy commercial traffic out of the core of Safford and Thatcher would be beneficial to the locals.   

JKRhodes

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 18, 2020, 12:59:20 PM

There is a substantial difference in circumstances though given Safford/Thatcher is the only locale with real services between Lordsburg and Globe.  If anything getting heavy commercial traffic out of the core of Safford and Thatcher would be beneficial to the locals.

I would speculate that there isn't a ton of OTR traffic using US 70 and US 60; Until they can widen the 150 or so miles of 2-lane highway between Lordsburg and Superior, it's not a very attractive route for truckers. They tend to stick to the interstate unless a dust storm forces a closure of I-10.

Truck traffic in Safford is primarily there to serve the town, and would have to exit a bypass route to do so.

Having said that, there is a fair amount of truck traffic that bounces back and forth between Miami and Morenci to haul various materials between the mines. I think most of the people here get a little nervous about what could happen if a sulfuric acid tanker were to spill its contents in the middle of town. Thankfully we haven't had a horrible hazmat situation yet that I'm aware of. But for that reason, and the fact that one blew through a red light and almost killed my family a while back, I would absolutely support the idea of a bypass route.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JKRhodes on August 18, 2020, 01:29:34 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 18, 2020, 12:59:20 PM

I would speculate that there isn't a ton of OTR traffic using US 70 and US 60; Until they can widen the 150 or so miles of 2-lane highway between Lordsburg and Superior, it's not a very attractive route for truckers. They tend to stick to the interstate unless a dust storm forces a closure of I-10.

Truck traffic in Safford is primarily there to serve the town, and would have to exit a bypass route to do so.

Having said that, there is a fair amount of truck traffic that bounces back and forth between Miami and Morenci to haul various materials between the mines. I think most of the people here get a little nervous about what could happen if a sulfuric acid tanker were to spill its contents in the middle of town. Thankfully we haven't had a horrible hazmat situation yet that I'm aware of. But for that reason, and the fact that one blew through a red light and almost killed my family a while back, I would absolutely support the idea of a bypass route.

Personally I always preferred US 60/US 70 to get to New Mexico over I-10.  Not only is the route shorter distance wise, it also was a way more attractive option during bad weather.  I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson has a lot of summer dust storm issues but what gets overlooked is how often I-10 East of Benson has problems with winter storms.  US 70 being along the course of the Gila River is low enough that winter weather isn't really an issue and I don't recall the area being particularly prone to dust storms due to a slightly higher elevation. 

DJStephens

US 70 between Lordsburg and Safford has traffic counts likely in the low thousands.  Maybe less. Simply not enough for a four laning.  Would also really doubt New Mexico could even build a decent four lane anymore.   

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DJStephens on August 21, 2020, 10:48:56 PM
US 70 between Lordsburg and Safford has traffic counts likely in the low thousands.  Maybe less. Simply not enough for a four laning.  Would also really doubt New Mexico could even build a decent four lane anymore.

To clarify I was talking about a four lane bypass of Thatcher and Safford only.  West of Lordsburg traffic doesn't pick up on US 70 until US 191 in Arizona.

DJStephens

Had no idea this was ever even looked at.  Not a great deal of population or traffic counts in the region, but a high percentage of heavy freight.   A four lane, with good standards, and minimal stops is highly preferable to routing on tight, antiquated, in town, two or three lane roads.   

JKRhodes

Quote from: DJStephens on August 21, 2020, 10:48:56 PM

191 between I-10 and AZ 266 was twinned in 2004 with an AADT of 2.7K. Despite the low traffic, ADOT justified it based on safety concerns, and also because it was cheaper to construct a parallel roadway than it was to level out hills and add passing lanes while maintaining traffic flow.

I can see them doing something similar to US 70 based on safety justifications. I-10 gets shut down pretty frequently near San Simon due to dust storms, and traffic gets rerouted through Safford. It's been happening more frequently with the drought. In 2017 ADOT installed "To I-10" reassurance markers on US 70 and 191 and tweaked the intersection of the two highways to handle a higher volume of turning trucks.

If nothing else, I can definitely see them doing a truck bypass. Safford is a major choke point and turns into a huge mess when the interstate gets shut down.

***EDIT: Forgot to mention, US 70's AADT is about 21K in Safford and 1.8K at the NM State line according to the 2018 AADT Count****

JKRhodes

Quote from: DJStephens on August 21, 2020, 11:06:16 PM

Had no idea this was ever even looked at.  Not a great deal of population or traffic counts in the region, but a high percentage of heavy freight.   A four lane, with good standards, and minimal stops is highly preferable to routing on tight, antiquated, in town, two or three lane roads.

It's two lanes each direction with a center turn lane between the west town limits of Pima and the east city limits of Safford. I've seen worse truck routes, but it does have two 15 MPH School zones, and a slowly growing number of traffic signals. All of which definitely makes the route a little less than ideal for trucks.

This is the article from the local paper when this was being looked at. For the life of me I can't remember the URL for the Study, I'll keep digging though.
https://www.eacourier.com/news/adot-presents-alternate-highway-corridors-to-public/article_855b2430-fb3c-54f2-a030-5c1f5c953711.html

***EDIT: Found the study paper in the ASU Repository. Commissioned by ADOT, performed by Parson's Brinkerhoff. Almost 200 pages:

https://repository.asu.edu/items/17607

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.