News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What if we stopped requiring indoor driving classes?

Started by tolbs17, December 14, 2021, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should driver licenses be required?

Yes
17 (85%)
No
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

tolbs17

Quote from: Bruce on December 14, 2021, 08:43:45 PM
Driving classes are a joke in the United States.

It should be a year-long course on the weekends, including field trips for practical training in all sorts of weather conditions and through diverse environments. The in-person classes should focus on theory and watching examples of poor judgment and their consequences. There's plenty of dashcam videos out there, but they aren't gruesome enough to scare young drivers into behaving properly.

The tests themselves should be multi-part and be split into summer and winter sections. They should also be followed up every few years to assess drivers and teach them new skills as necessary, mostly to get senior drivers off the road before they kill more people.
And to add, when I was getting my restricted license, I literally did almost nothing and my mother just wrote down the hours and they accepted it, I drove just fine and I passed!

tolbs17

Quote from: formulanone on December 14, 2021, 08:52:03 PM
Where can I obtain one of these indoor driving courses? I grew up in a household where indoor driving had a strong punishment.
I'm aware that this is related to corporal punishment in the schools.

hotdogPi

Quote from: formulanone on December 14, 2021, 08:52:03 PM
Where can I obtain one of these indoor driving courses? I grew up in a household where indoor driving had a strong punishment.

Not on typical roads, but https://indoorautoracing.com
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

JayhawkCO

I have never taken a driving class.  Written test, yes.  Anything else that wasn't my actual road test? No.

tolbs17

Quote from: jayhawkco on December 14, 2021, 09:08:13 PM
I have never taken a driving class.  Written test, yes.  Anything else that wasn't my actual road test? No.
Well, I've taken the classes through high school, as well as the written and road tests.

This shows the list of what you have to do to obtain your permit: https://www.idrivesafely.com/dmv/north-carolina/learners-permit/driver-permit/

Steps to Complete

Once you turn 15 years old, you can get your drivers permit. Here's what you need to do:

Visit your local DMV office.

Bring proof of identity.

You will need two documents that prove your identity, one of which must contain your date of birth. To find out which documents are acceptable, click here.

Bring proof of Social Security.

Visit the North Carolina DMV website for examples of documents that you may bring. You will need 1 document as proof.

After completing an approved drivers ed course, present both your driving eligibility certificate (or high school diploma) and your driver education certificate.

Pass written, sign, and vision tests.

The written test will cover traffic laws and safe driving practices.

On the sign test, you will need to identify traffic signs by both color and shape, and be able to explain what each indicates.

For the vision test, be sure to wear you glasses or contacts if you need them. You will be required to wear them whenever you drive.

Complete at least 60 hours of supervised driving practice (10 of which must be at night), and provide your completed Driving Log to Advance to Level 2 Limited Provisional Driver License (Form DL-4A).

Pay the appropriate fee with cash, money order, or personal check.

And I still have my full provisional license and now that I'm 18, I should probably go get my real driver's license. What do y'all think. I hope I don't get pulled over if I drive.

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 14, 2021, 08:52:56 PM
And to add, when I was getting my restricted license, I literally did almost nothing and my mother just wrote down the hours and they accepted it, I drove just fine and I passed!
You do realize that you just told the whole internet that your parents lied on your hours driven form right?

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 14, 2021, 09:22:58 PM
You do realize that you just told the whole internet that your parents lied on your hours driven form right?
So, should I cut that part out?

Edit: I've seen it on other forums as well.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124321601&page=1

QuoteMy parents filled it out fake.

I didn't have to do anything.

index

Because driver licensing is a slippery slope to toaster licensing?
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 14, 2021, 09:23:36 PM
It's up to you if you want to cut it out or not. I thought you would've known by now what to publicly post on the internet after the Mary Hannah and phone number incidents.

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 14, 2021, 09:28:30 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 14, 2021, 09:23:36 PM
It's up to you if you want to cut it out or not. I thought you would've known by now what to publicly post on the internet after the Mary Hannah and phone number incidents.
I do know. The only reason why I posted that is because I've seen a post like that on ANOTHER FORUM (which I edited my post and has a link to it).

CtrlAltDel

The in-person classes should focus on theory and watching examples of poor judgment and their consequences. There's plenty of dashcam videos out there, but they aren't gruesome enough to scare young drivers into behaving properly.

I can't imagine that education through trauma is either wise or effective.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

index

I don't think anyone is going to care or do anything, especially in this case, nor could anyone really do anything about it if they wanted to. Watch this:

I've stolen several Rand McNally maps from Walmart at the self checkout. Come and get me!
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

SkyPesos

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 14, 2021, 09:33:41 PM
The in-person classes should focus on theory and watching examples of poor judgment and their consequences. There's plenty of dashcam videos out there, but they aren't gruesome enough to scare young drivers into behaving properly.

I got shown "idiots in cars" like videos (most likely from a different Youtube channel) during my classroom time in drivers ed.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 14, 2021, 09:37:47 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 14, 2021, 09:33:41 PM

I got shown "idiots in cars" like videos (most likely from a different Youtube channel) during my classroom time in drivers ed.

An occasional video isn't really what bruce had in mind. He wants a "scared straight" sort of program.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ozarkman417

In Missouri, a signature is needed by a legal guardian or instructor as well as the to-be licensed driver (maybe), on a form that acknowledges that the driver has completed 40 hours of behind the wheel training with a qualified adult, with ten of those being at night. Some people I know have taken and passed their test with significantly less than the required number of hours. It is possible that if you hold a permit at 18, you can skip the "Intermediate" license (with restrictions such as number of non-family passengers and cerfew).

Springfield's school district only offers an online driving course. From my personal experience with their online programs, the course is more than likely not very useful. and taking driver's ed has only one benefit around here: lowering insurance rates.

tolbs17

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 14, 2021, 09:44:56 PM
In Missouri, a signature is needed by a legal guardian or instructor as well as the to-be licensed driver (maybe), on a form that acknowledges that the driver has completed 40 hours of behind the wheel training with a qualified adult, with ten of those being at night. Some people I know have taken and passed their test with significantly less than the required number of hours. It is possible that if you hold a permit at 18, you can skip the "Intermediate" license (with restrictions such as number of non-family passengers and cerfew).

Springfield's school district only offers an online driving course. From my personal experience with their online programs, the course is more than likely not very useful. and taking driver's ed has only one benefit around here: lowering insurance rates.
Well I know North Carolina is not one of the states that requires a "signature" to be signed on the driving log.

The sentence in bolded, I'm definitely one of them.

tolbs17

Also, I know here in this state is that you get a paper driving license first before your hard one comes. And it takes up to 2 weeks for it to happen.

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 14, 2021, 09:53:34 PM

Well I know North Carolina is not one of the states that requires a "signature" to be signed on the driving log.

Ohio doesn't require a driving log to track your hours driven per-se, but a form called the "50 Hour Affidavit" is required for parents to sign (at least for those under 18 when getting a license, like when I was in the process).

Note that this is in addition to the two other requirements, which I mentioned upthread.

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 14, 2021, 09:59:36 PM

Ohio doesn't require a driving log to track your hours driven per-se, but a form called the "50 Hour Affidavit" is required for parents to sign (at least for those under 18 when getting a license, like when I was in the process).

Note that this is in addition to the two other requirements, which I mentioned upthread.
Great to know. Also when clicking on that I saw this "NOTICE: Falsifying an affidavit is punishable by fine and / or imprisonment (R.C Section 2921.21 and 4507.21[G])". That's even more harsh compared to the driving logs here in North Carolina!

jeffandnicole

It should be a year-long course on the weekends, including field trips for practical training in all sorts of weather conditions and through diverse environments. The in-person classes should focus on theory and watching examples of poor judgment and their consequences. There's plenty of dashcam videos out there, but they aren't gruesome enough to scare young drivers into behaving properly.

The tests themselves should be multi-part and be split into summer and winter sections. They should also be followed up every few years to assess drivers and teach them new skills as necessary, mostly to get senior drivers off the road before they kill more people.

Maybe the real question is: Why didn't you drive? 

"I drove just fine"

Ask everyone you know that drives if they're a good driver, and they'll probably say they are a good driver.  Then ask them who the bad drivers are, and they'll probably say everyone else.

Ask if they know how to knit, and they'll give you the honest truth. Ask if they can cook, and they'll tell you the truth.  Ask if they know how do to their own taxes, and they'll give you the truth.  Ask again if they are a good driver, and they'll just think they are.  Clearly, we know there aren't good drivers out there. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 14, 2021, 10:07:11 PM

Great to know. Also when clicking on that I saw this "NOTICE: Falsifying an affidavit is punishable by fine and / or imprisonment (R.C Section 2921.21 and 4507.21[G])". That's even more harsh compared to the driving logs here in North Carolina!
I'm kind of wondering if there's a correlation between the "strictness" of a state's driving program, and the quality of drivers in a state. Probably not, but at the same time, I don't know about drivers ed requirements for the other 49 states.

Though note that Ohio doesn't test parking (neither perpendicular or parallel) on the driving exam and does something else instead.

tolbs17

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 14, 2021, 10:22:33 PM

Maybe the real question is: Why didn't you drive? 

"I drove just fine"

Ask everyone you know that drives if they're a good driver, and they'll probably say they are a good driver.  Then ask them who the bad drivers are, and they'll probably say everyone else.

Ask if they know how to knit, and they'll give you the honest truth. Ask if they can cook, and they'll tell you the truth.  Ask if they know how do to their own taxes, and they'll give you the truth.  Ask again if they are a good driver, and they'll just think they are.  Clearly, we know there aren't good drivers out there.
I do drive just not often. And I will do that. Knit? Some do and some don't. Same thing with cooking. And taxes. Yes...

tolbs17

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 14, 2021, 10:25:56 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 14, 2021, 10:07:11 PM

Though note that Ohio doesn't test parking (neither perpendicular or parallel) on the driving exam and does something else instead.
North Carolina also doesn't test parallel parking. And my sister says she doesn't want to get her license because of that.

SkyPesos

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 14, 2021, 10:29:42 PM
North Carolina also doesn't test parallel parking. And my sister says she doesn't want to get her license because of that.
So your sister doesn't want to get a license when potentially the most difficult part of a drivers exam isn't tested? I thought it would've been the opposite.

jeffandnicole

Many people can probably get by without parallel parking.

What they should teach though - on the road - is when someone is driving and the person in front of them wants to parallel park.   If they see that driver putting on a turn signal and stop just after an open parallel parking spot, don't get right on their ass then be surprised that they start backing up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.