News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Worst control city on an interstate in your state

Started by SkyPesos, August 05, 2022, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2022, 02:38:38 PM
If that's really a problem, you can just put "Lethbridge AB" or "Lethbridge, Can." or "Lethbridge 🇨🇦" or something like that.

Honestly, little flag icons next to control cities would be pretty cool. "Tucumcari ", perhaps?

How about both because some motorists are really stupid?  /s

kphoger

My guess is that, if you're in Shelby or farther north, then you do know where Lethbridge is anyway.

By the way, I got curious.  Here's the sign in Lethbridge.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

FrCorySticha

Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2022, 02:23:00 PM

South of US 2, isn't Shelby the control city? It's hardly a major city; I was very surprised at how small it is given it's at one of the major entrances to Glacier NP.

Yes, it is between US 2 and Great Falls: https://goo.gl/maps/SsnjATAYG9ykmB5c9 (Driven past this sign many times. Never noticed until now that they don't sign the US 89 S and MT 200 E duplex on I-15 S)

Shelby is a very small town, but it's a regional center by Montana standards.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Terry Shea

Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2022, 10:52:18 AM
Quote from: Terry Shea on November 08, 2022, 12:23:09 AM
Well, yes it does start and end somewhere.  As a matter of fact, until the recent interchange update between I-96 and I-196, there was a sign at the end of I-196 where it joined I-96 stating: End I-196   Begin I-96.  No such sign existed where I-196 joins I-94.
Hmmm.  Never noticd that sign before.
That's a ridiculous argument.  It's a missing sign, not an determination of which end is the "beginning".

Also, there is an END sign at the I-94 junction anyway.

Quote from: Terry Shea on November 08, 2022, 12:23:09 AM
At that time, the I-196 segment through Grand Rapids made sense in that it was indeed a spur off from I-96 ...

That's really all the argument I need.  It made sense then, and there's no convincing need for it to have changed.
Hmmm.  Never noticed that sign before.

kphoger

Quote from: FrCorySticha on November 09, 2022, 05:10:22 PM

It's bigger than Limon, CO...
Male pronouns, please.

FrCorySticha

Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2022, 05:11:48 PM
Quote from: FrCorySticha on November 09, 2022, 05:10:22 PM

It's bigger than Limon, CO...

Well, then it's perfect for a control city.  :D

mgk920

If that's really a problem, you can just put "Lethbridge AB" or "Lethbridge, Can." or "Lethbridge 🇨🇦" or something like that.

Honestly, little flag icons next to control cities would be pretty cool. "Tucumcari ", perhaps?

("But what about all those state flags that look the same because they're just a state seal on a blue background?" you ask. Well, those flags should be replaced on the grounds that they suck, irrespective of any highway sign usage. Kansas, I love you, but your flag is lame as hell.)

About 30-40 years ago, Wisconsin added "WISCONSIN" and 1848" in white letters and numbers above and below the state seal on its otherwise solid dark blue banner, likely to better differentiate it from those of other nearby states.

Mike

jgb191

Now that I-69 is through Houston, I would say the worst control city on an interstate is "Cleveland" on I-69 North.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

SkyPesos

Quote from: jgb191 on November 09, 2022, 11:40:39 PM
Now that I-69 is through Houston, I would say the worst control city on an interstate is "Cleveland" on I-69 North.
If you continue Northeast on I-69 from Houston to its (hypothetical) route into KY, and continue in the NE direction while I-69 itself pulls off to go due north, you'll eventually end up on I-71, which goes to the other Cleveland  :-D

SkyPesos

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 08, 2022, 04:58:04 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2022, 04:05:21 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on November 08, 2022, 03:58:08 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on November 08, 2022, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: jt4 on November 08, 2022, 08:20:31 AM
Also, the NJTP doesn't go to Philadelphia either.

Neither does I-40 to LA, I-65 to Chicago, I-80 to NYC, or I-70 to Baltimore.  :-D

Neither does I-76 to Lodi, I-495(MA) to Worcester, I-86 to Erie, I-86 to Twin Falls, etc. The examples are not countless, but are numerous.

Nor does I-15 go to Lethbridge.   :-P
That seriously might be one of the dumbest control cities around, I did say one of them.
We can sign Calgary on I-15 NB then. Requires 2 turns onto different routes, but everyone would heard of the 5th largest city in Canada, I think?

LilianaUwU

If that's really a problem, you can just put "Lethbridge AB" or "Lethbridge, Can." or "Lethbridge " or something like that.

("But what about all those state flags that look the same because they're just a state seal on a blue background?" you ask. Well, those flags should be replaced on the grounds that they suck, irrespective of any highway sign usage. Kansas, I love you, but your flag is lame as hell.)

Speaking of garbage flags and New Mexico, I feel like more people need to know about New Mexico's unofficial flag in the 1910s:

As for my answer... maybe Montréal/Québec on A-40 when Trois-Rivières exists between the two? Sure, A-40 does lead to Montréal and Québec City, but Trois-Rivières should be the primary control city from Québec City on A-40 WB/from Montréal on A-40 EB.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: mgk920 on November 09, 2022, 11:03:34 PM

About 30-40 years ago, Wisconsin added "WISCONSIN" and 1848" in white letters and numbers above and below the state seal on its otherwise solid dark blue banner, likely to better differentiate it from those of other nearby states.

Mike

If you have to label your flag with text, it's failed as a flag. The whole point of a flag is to make soldiers fighting under it easily identifiable. If you have to squint through the binoculars to try to read a little line of text to see if the people with the flag are friend or foe, it's not doing its job. And good luck trying to accurately recreate all the fiddly details of a state seal when you need to put together a flag in a hurry in the field.

There's been a wave of municipal flag redesigns over the last decade or so to make them better designed and better suited to the job of doing a flag. In Oklahoma, both Norman and Tulsa have gotten fine new flags. Oklahoma's flag isn't bad, but including the unnecessary word "OKLAHOMA" kind of detracts from it. It'd be perfectly identifiable without it.

jt4

How well known should a control city be to use on the sign if there's a more famous city with the same name? The Columbias and Portlands are far enough away that it probably wouldn't present an issue. I think it's the same with Cleveland, TX. But not bring from Texas, I don't know if there's a better choice for I-69 as currently designated.

Las Vegas on I-25 is a worse problem. Columbus, IN would be a problem on I-65 if it got big enough to overtake Louisville (maybe less so now that the I-70 control city is Dayton instead of Columbus, OH).

Flint1979

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 10, 2022, 12:19:48 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 08, 2022, 04:58:04 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2022, 04:05:21 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on November 08, 2022, 03:58:08 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on November 08, 2022, 02:56:47 PM
Quote from: jt4 on November 08, 2022, 08:20:31 AM
Also, the NJTP doesn't go to Philadelphia either.

Neither does I-40 to LA, I-65 to Chicago, I-80 to NYC, or I-70 to Baltimore.  :-D

Neither does I-76 to Lodi, I-495(MA) to Worcester, I-86 to Erie, I-86 to Twin Falls, etc. The examples are not countless, but are numerous.

Nor does I-15 go to Lethbridge.   :-P
That seriously might be one of the dumbest control cities around, I did say one of them.
We can sign Calgary on I-15 NB then. Requires 2 turns onto different routes, but everyone would heard of the 5th largest city in Canada, I think?
Calgary might be ok. At least I know where that is.

ilpt4u

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 10, 2022, 12:15:14 AM
If you continue Northeast on I-69 from Houston to its (hypothetical) route into KY, and continue in the NE direction while I-69 itself pulls off to go due north, you'll eventually end up on I-71, which goes to the other Cleveland  :-D
Fictional-land, but one can come up with an I-71 KY extension, via the Parkways, to meet I-69 directly in Hopkins County. Kinda surprising KY politicians haven't asked for it

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 10, 2022, 03:56:13 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 09, 2022, 11:03:34 PM

Mike

If you have to label your flag with text, it's failed as a flag. The whole point of a flag is to make soldiers fighting under it easily identifiable. If you have to squint through the binoculars to try to read a little line of text to see if the people with the flag are friend or foe, it's not doing its job. And good luck trying to accurately recreate all the fiddly details of a state seal when you need to put together a flag in a hurry in the field.

There's been a wave of municipal flag redesigns over the last decade or so to make them better designed and better suited to the job of doing a flag. In Oklahoma, both Norman and Tulsa have gotten fine new flags. Oklahoma's flag isn't bad, but including the unnecessary word "OKLAHOMA" kind of detracts from it. It'd be perfectly identifiable without it.

Wisconsin's flag is terrible.  Milwaukee's is worse.

Of course the contest to design a new flag came up with something absolutely awesome, but it was never officially adopted - mostly because people hate change.  So now it's the underground "people's flag."

CtrlAltDel

The whole point of a flag is to make soldiers fighting under it easily identifiable.

I don't know if that's true, even if it may have been what they were first created for.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

The whole point of a flag is to make soldiers fighting under it easily identifiable. If you have to squint through the binoculars to try to read a little line of text to see if the people with the flag are friend or foe, it's not doing its job.

Well, I guess, if New Hampshire and Nebraska ever go to war with each other, then it might be a problem.  But, otherwise...
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 10, 2022, 08:29:49 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on November 10, 2022, 12:15:14 AM
Fictional-land, but one can come up with an I-71 KY extension, via the Parkways, to meet I-69 directly in Hopkins County. Kinda surprising KY politicians haven't asked for it

They'll ask for an x65 or x69.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 10, 2022, 09:13:06 AM
The whole point of a flag is to make soldiers fighting under it easily identifiable.

I don't know if that's true, even if it may have been what they were first created for.

I mean, if you don't believe me, go ask the flaggeeks...

Quote from: kphoger on November 10, 2022, 11:48:58 AM
The whole point of a flag is to make soldiers fighting under it easily identifiable. If you have to squint through the binoculars to try to read a little line of text to see if the people with the flag are friend or foe, it's not doing its job.

Well, I guess, if New Hampshire and Nebraska ever go to war with each other, then it might be a problem.  But, otherwise...

It's the 21st century. Best to be prepared...

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 10, 2022, 02:30:47 PM

Easily solved.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on November 10, 2022, 02:37:48 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 10, 2022, 02:30:47 PM

Easily solved.

Someone doesn't wanna admit their state flag sucks. :D

kphoger

Nope, I agree that most state flags suck.  I'm just saying it doesn't matter that they suck.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.