National Boards > General Highway Talk

Illogical control cities for the direction of long-distance travel

(1/7) > >>

hbelkins:
Since we've been talking about control cities recently, how about compiling a list of control cities that are used where the logical flow of long-distance traffic makes them ill-suited for posting?

Examples:

I-71 northbound approaching I-75 south, the control city is Lexington. Long-distance traffic isn't going to be using I-71 north to I-75 south to get to Lexington. Long-distance traffic is going to use I-64 east coming out of Louisville.

Similarly, I-75 southbound approaching I-64 westbound, the control is Louisville. Long-distance traffic will take I-71 south coming out of Cincinnati.

I-79 southbound at I-77 at Charleston; traffic won't use I-77 north to get to Parkersburg. It will have used US 50/Corridor D from Clarksburg. Ditto I-77 south at I-79; through long-distance traffic will use US 50 to get to Clarksburg.

SkyPesos:
Every one of those "triangles", like what you mentioned for 64/71/75

Cincinnati for I-71 SB when heading on I-70 EB
Cincinnati for I-74 EB when heading on I-70 WB
Cincinnati for I-74 EB when heading on I-65 NB
Cincinnati for I-71 NB when heading on I-65 SB

Dirt Roads:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2022, 04:37:04 PM ---I-79 southbound at I-77 at Charleston; traffic won't use I-77 north to get to Parkersburg. It will have used US 50/Corridor D from Clarksburg. Ditto I-77 south at I-79; through long-distance traffic will use US 50 to get to Clarksburg.

--- End quote ---

Using the Control Destinations for the old pre-Interstate routes, you would get:

I-77 south to I-79 north: Clendenin
I-79 south to I-77 north: Ripley (might be better as Sissonville or Pocatalico)

The tiny control destination haters would have a field day with these two.  But they do make the most sense here.

webny99:
I'm looking for examples where the majority of traffic "defaults" onto another route leading to a large city, while the through route has a much smaller control city.

I-80 westbound in eastern PA seems like a good candidate: west of Stroudsburg, the control city is Hazleton, but Scranton (following I-380) is much larger and makes much more sense as a control city destination. I'm not sure what the traffic split is on I-80 at I-380, but I would guess it's about 50/50 or maybe slightly favoring I-380.

jp the roadgeek:
The I-86/I-390 westbound split in NY is a good example (and a really good one for now).  I-390 traffic is bound for Rochester, while the control for I-86 is currently Jamestown (will soon be Erie, which is still smaller than Rochester)

The southern end of I-93.  Thru traffic onto I-95/MA 128 North uses Portsmouth, while the majority of traffic exits onto I-95 South bound for Providence (yes, the famous meme exit).  Going the other way, you get an illogical situation of Boston as a control for 93 North (but what else could it be?), where most traffic on 95 (128) would have either exited at US 1, I-93 in Burlington, or the Mass Pike to get to Boston (plus a multitude of other arterials). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version