What kind of home security camera do you recommend?

Started by Bruce, November 20, 2022, 01:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Have now come to need one (neighbors are upping their harassment), so I'm interested in an outdoor one that works without needing an invasive phone app or constant surveillance of my WiFi network. Any recommendations?

Scott5114

What kind of harassment are we talking? Beyond just being curious, it may influence the type of camera you need.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 20, 2022, 02:18:51 AM
What kind of harassment are we talking? Beyond just being curious, it may influence the type of camera you need.

Litter on my lawn (including mail with their addresses...so obviously not trying to hide it), used chewing gum on my car, piling up their leaves to block the street grate right next to my driveway during a storm. The first one got them a talking-to from the police, but I am unable to get real punishments for the others.

I've had horrible luck with neighbors in the past few years. One set that was thankfully evicted did the same mail stunt and also tried to confront me for calling the police on them for breaking various noise laws at 3 am, complete with grabbing my shoulder in an attempt to restrain me. Then a new set moved in with the loudest pick-up truck known to man, which they idle for an hour every morning and night.

ZLoth

Renter or homeowner?

So, I have four Blink cameras (front door, back driveway, pointing directly at a shed, interior camera of said shed pointed at a door) that connect via WiFi that do what I need them to do and are OK. The shed is NOT in a fenced-in area, thus the extra cameras.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Max Rockatansky

In a professional setting I use Brickhouse cameras for coverts when a power supply isn't available.  The battery life is usually 10-12 hours on a full charge and video is easily uploaded from a SanDisc card in MP4 format.  The portable recorders can be configured to capture a certain degree of motion and/sound level.  If you don't mind going the extra mile you definitely can get way more up close and less obvious you are recording for about $200 for a decent Brickhouse set.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on November 20, 2022, 01:07:01 AM
Have now come to need one (neighbors are upping their harassment), so I'm interested in an outdoor one that works without needing an invasive phone app or constant surveillance of my WiFi network. Any recommendations?

Quote from: Bruce on November 20, 2022, 08:03:04 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 20, 2022, 02:18:51 AM

Litter on my lawn (including mail with their addresses...so obviously not trying to hide it), used chewing gum on my car, piling up their leaves to block the street grate right next to my driveway during a storm. The first one got them a talking-to from the police, but I am unable to get real punishments for the others.

I've had horrible luck with neighbors in the past few years. One set that was thankfully evicted did the same mail stunt and also tried to confront me for calling the police on them for breaking various noise laws at 3 am, complete with grabbing my shoulder in an attempt to restrain me. Then a new set moved in with the loudest pick-up truck known to man, which they idle for an hour every morning and night.

BB gun?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

It looks like you want a closed-circuit system with recording capability, and for something like that, you'd have to contact a security company.

JoePCool14

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 22, 2022, 01:31:30 PM
It looks like you want a closed-circuit system with recording capability, and for something like that, you'd have to contact a security company.

+1

Seems like anything for the general consumer is going to involve a smartphone app. If you do choose to go the consumer route in the end, I'd recommend Blink. The cameras record in high quality, batteries last for months, and activation is reliable.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Pink Jazz

I recommend Eufy. Local storage, no subscription required.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.