News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Regional Chains that your curious about

Started by roadman65, December 05, 2023, 03:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed in GSV that a local eatery in Milford, DE called Grotto Pizza has a store on DE 1 at 10th Street with a billboard nearby listing it as being in several Sussex County cities within Delaware. So I assume it's a regional chain in South Delaware.

Though this thread could be about any small localized chain anywhere, I'm asking if anyone ever tried this brand and how good or bad they are?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Thought we had an extensive thread already on regional chains.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

I'm intrigued by Nautical Bowls, a Twin Cities-based chain that has quickly expanded across the country, but whose only Northeast location is here in Webster, NY. Is it just coincidence that I have ties to both places? Webster is a great choice (where life is worth living!), but not where most chains enter the Rochester market, maybe not even in the top 5. For example, CFA went Greece>Henrietta>Irondequoit, with plans for a 4th location in Penfield.

index

Everyone tells me I need to try Raising Cane's but they're all nowhere near me.

I finally tried Huddle House in York, SC last year and I thought it was way better than Waffle House. And they have chicken fried steak. I can't get that at Waffle House.

Supposedly we're getting a Sheetz in Boone sometime soon. Will have to try that.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

1995hoo

To answer the OP, the only Grotto Pizza I know of is on New Street in New York (around the block from Bowling Green). I don't believe it's part of a chain.

(Edited to correct the subject line.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hobart

I was very curious about Runza for a while. I ate at one last month on my way home from a job interview at a location in Lincoln, and it was actually quite good. Now I want to go back!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

dlsterner

I was curious about Raising Cane's due to some discussion here a few years ago.  One finally opened near me (Crofton MD), but for some time after the opening, the turn lanes into it were backed up 10-20 cars onto both sides of the highway (it is located in the median of MD 3).  Wasn't gonna put up with that.  Even now it always looks like close to filled to capacity.  I'll wait a while for the novelty to wear off before trying.

Besides, I get the feeling that it might be basically the same stuff I can already get at Slim Chickens.  Or Zaxby's when I travel.

As far a regional chains I'm curious about, I do have a morbid desire to see what all of the hullabaloo about Buc-ee's is all about.

hbelkins

Rutter's is one that I'm interested in checking out. I've heard great things about it from Sheetz aficionados.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

golden eagle

Quote from: index on December 05, 2023, 01:28:07 PM

I finally tried Huddle House in York, SC last year and I thought it was way better than Waffle House. And they have chicken fried steak. I can't get that at Waffle House.

Supposedly we're getting a Sheetz in Boone sometime soon. Will have to try that.

Speaking of Boone, there's a restaurant there called Vicious Biscuit. I see they have a handful of locations in the Carolinas and near Jacksonville, FL. I want to see how they will expand in the next 5-10 years.

epzik8

Quote from: dlsterner on December 09, 2023, 09:49:41 PM
I was curious about Raising Cane's due to some discussion here a few years ago.  One finally opened near me (Crofton MD), but for some time after the opening, the turn lanes into it were backed up 10-20 cars onto both sides of the highway (it is located in the median of MD 3).  Wasn't gonna put up with that.  Even now it always looks like close to filled to capacity.  I'll wait a while for the novelty to wear off before trying.

The same situation exists at the one in Waldorf at 301 and Plaza Drive.

Quote from: dlsterner on December 09, 2023, 09:49:41 PMAs far a regional chains I'm curious about, I do have a morbid desire to see what all of the hullabaloo about Buc-ee's is all about.

I went to the one in Florence, South Carolina in October and will simply say it's worth the visit.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

DSS5

Quote from: index on December 05, 2023, 01:28:07 PM

Honestly the main attraction at Raisin Cane's is the bread. A tiktoker I used to follow put it best - it must be the bread they served at the Last Supper it's so good. Unfortunately the only one near me is in downtown Madison which is a quagmire I generally try to avoid.

What I can't comprehend is how Boone doesn't have Biscuitville (Visicious Biscuits is from after my time). But the place I'll always miss most in Boone (and I suppose it's a chain because they have two South Carolina locations now) is Come Back Shack.

GaryV

Quote from: DSS5 on December 10, 2023, 10:14:31 AM
it must be the bread they served at the Last Supper it's so good
That would have been unleavened bread, because they were celebrating the Passover.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: roadman65 on December 05, 2023, 03:23:24 AM
I noticed in GSV that a local eatery in Milford, DE called Grotto Pizza has a store on DE 1 at 10th Street with a billboard nearby listing it as being in several Sussex County cities within Delaware. So I assume it's a regional chain in South Delaware.

I'm asking if anyone ever tried this brand and how good or bad they are?

There's a couple in Ocean City (MD) - one in the south end along the Boardwalk, and one in the northern end.   I'm pretty sure I tried the northern one once..... But since I'm not 100% sure, I'll have to say even if I did, it must not have made a big impression either way.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.