News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2022 Christmas Radio Stations Thread

Started by Henry, November 24, 2022, 10:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Whatever the mothership Yankee Candle store in Deerfield MA is playing for Christmas music is terrifying. It was covers of standards, and they were just feeble attempts at people trying to sing.

The animatronic bears singing "We Wish You a Happy Holidays" instead of the standard line was the peak of not trying to offend someone.

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on November 26, 2022, 07:31:12 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 26, 2022, 07:20:03 PM
But the station doesn't play this variety anymore, right?

Would appreciate a direct recommendation for a station that has Christmas variety like this.

It changed ownership and doesn't even go all-Christmas anymore.

It's also way outside your area: https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WNKC&service=FM
Sure.  But, there are a lot of places where a whole lot of radio stations are streamed on the Internet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: SectorZ on November 27, 2022, 09:06:39 AM
Whatever the mothership Yankee Candle store in Deerfield MA is playing for Christmas music is terrifying. It was covers of standards, and they were just feeble attempts at people trying to sing.

The animatronic bears singing "We Wish You a Happy Holidays" instead of the standard line was the peak of not trying to offend someone.

Then there was Macys in Orlando that played Madonnas Holiday as a Christmas song on their piped in music when I worked there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ZLoth

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 12:26:43 PMBut, there are a lot of places where a whole lot of radio stations are streamed on the Internet.

This makes Radio Garden my preferred app for streaming stations on my smart phone.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Rothman

Quote from: ZLoth on November 27, 2022, 09:24:47 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 12:26:43 PMBut, there are a lot of places where a whole lot of radio stations are streamed on the Internet.

This makes Radio Garden my preferred app for streaming stations on my smart phone.
I have seen stations disappear and appear from that site.  I have wondered if it was due to external links.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mapman1071

Metro Phoenix, AZ KESZ 99.9 (I-Heart Radio)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Henry on November 24, 2022, 10:41:05 AM
It's that time of year again...

If your local station hasn't done so already, it'll start playing nonstop Christmas music all the way up to midnight on December 26, if not beyond that. This means that KSWD and KRWM in Seattle, as well as WLIT in Chicago, are in 24/7 Christmas mode. What stations in your area are currently playing the holiday favorites, or will flip to All-Christmas soon?

People still listen to the radio?

Around here, it started dribbling in shortly after Halloween, and now every time I hear the damnable sleigh-bells I .... *goes black for a while*
Christmastime is killing us. (insert family guy ref here).
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

roadman65

Every year Christmas seems to start earlier and earlier with music on well before Thanksgiving.

Years ago, the Christmas ads didn't start on TV until the Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade while Santa didn't start his stint in the Malls until Black Friday making usually a Grand Entrance at the start of the shopping day.

Now Christmas seems to end before Christmas is supposed to begin when in the different churches they believe that Christmas starts either on Christmas Day or in January for some Eastern rites while Advent Starts the last Sunday in November.

Most people are weary of this before it even gets into full swing.

Sheryl Crowe

ZLoth

Quote from: Rothman on November 28, 2022, 02:39:58 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on November 27, 2022, 09:24:47 PM

I have seen stations disappear and appear from that site.  I have wondered if it was due to external links.

Probably. Radio Garden isn't a direct streaming service per se, they are just a database providing the link to the station, and it has a very NICE interface.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ZLoth

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 28, 2022, 06:34:37 AMAround here, it started dribbling in shortly after Halloween, and now every time I hear the damnable sleigh-bells I .... *goes black for a while*

Perhaps you should watch the "12 Pains Of Christmas"...

JoePCool14

Since I'm in Chicago, it's the aforementioned 93.9 Lite FM if I want radio Christmas music. The variety, or lack thereof, isn't great, but for short spurts of listening I don't mind it. It brings back nostalgia to when I had a teacher in junior high who would have the radio on during the day in her classroom. Or just listening to it as a kid before on-demand music streaming was mainstream.

They started absurdly early this year, but I haven't listened to Christmas music just yet. I might start soon, but some of the songs bring me back to memories I'd prefer to not think about as opposed to good ones. I went sour on Christmas music in 2020 during what was a chaotic and unhappy year, and I just wasn't feeling it. And I haven't really been feeling it much since.

For the record, if I could pick the perfect time to broadcast Christmas music, it would be from the Monday before Thanksgiving through the end of New Year's Day.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Big John

Almost 50 years ago, Peanuts produced their Easter special and the department store was having Christmas sales at that time.

Pink Jazz

SiriusXM has a new smooth jazz Christmas station, Cool Jazz Christmas. Normally Watercolors doesn't start mixing in Christmas songs until mid-December and goes all-Christmas on Christmas Eve.

abefroman329

Quote from: SectorZ on November 24, 2022, 05:47:16 PM
Unless it's Bob Rivers I'm not too interested. As someone who loves the Christmas season (my house is by far the most Christmas-y looking in my neighborhood my whole life), the music just doesn't move the needle for me. I guess being a metal head leaves a void for us.

Quote from: 1 on November 24, 2022, 01:13:12 PM
  • Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You

Man I forget all the time that Billy Squire has a Christmas song.
You won't forget if you listen to the SiriusXM Christmas Rock Songs station or whatever it's called, it's one of the six songs they play on a loop.

SectorZ

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 28, 2022, 12:27:08 PM
Unless it's Bob Rivers I'm not too interested. As someone who loves the Christmas season (my house is by far the most Christmas-y looking in my neighborhood my whole life), the music just doesn't move the needle for me. I guess being a metal head leaves a void for us.

You won't forget if you listen to the SiriusXM Christmas Rock Songs station or whatever it's called, it's one of the six songs they play on a loop.

I think I'll make sure to avoid that one then.  :-D

abefroman329

Quote from: SectorZ on November 28, 2022, 05:06:20 PM

It's pretty much that song, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band cover Jingle Bells, and one version of Adam Sandler's Chanukah song.

roadman65

There are plenty of Christmas Songs out there, but many go ignored as the popular versions seem to get attention most.

Don't get me wrong, but I enjoy hearing Andy Williams It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year or Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You, but Clapton has a good Christmas Album and only heard one of his songs about a Christmas letter twice in two years on radio.

In other words expand the loop from twenty songs to forty with some alternating tracks.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

I actually enjoy hearing radio Christmas music because of nostalgia. Only in small doses however.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 28, 2022, 05:12:08 PM

It's pretty much that song, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band cover Jingle Bells, and one version of Adam Sandler's Chanukah song.

No Springsteen "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town"? I always thought Bruce was incredibly constipated while singing that one.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on December 01, 2022, 03:26:58 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 28, 2022, 05:12:08 PM

No Springsteen "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town"? I always thought Bruce was incredibly constipated while singing that one.
Clarence getting him laughing is a lot of fun.

abefroman329

Quote from: SectorZ on December 01, 2022, 03:26:58 PMNo Springsteen "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town"? I always thought Bruce was incredibly constipated while singing that one.
Yep, that's what I meant, not Jingle Bells.  I was probably thinking of Jingle Bells because of the sleigh bells/tinkly piano at the beginning of the song.

TMETSJETSYT

Here is a list of stations I have gathered as I am also a radio nerd too.
Long Island, NY - Walk 97.5 (WALK FM)
Bridgeport/New Haven, CT - Webe 108 (WEBE 107.9 FM)
New York City, NY - 106.7 Lite FM (WLTW FM)
Hudson Valley, NY - 100.7 WHUD (WHUD FM)
Albany, NY - 98.3 WTRY (WTRY FM) and 103.9 The Breeze (WPBZ FM)
Philadelphia, PA - B101.1 (WBEB FM)
Ocean City, MD - Q105 (WQHQ 104.7 FM)
Boston, MA - Magic 106.7 (WMJX FM)
Springfield MA - 98.7 WNNS (WNNS FM)
Utica, NY - Lite 98.7 (WLZW FM)
Syracuse, NY - Y94 (WYYY 94.5 FM)
Rochester, NY - Warm 101.3 (WRMM FM)
Buffalo, NY - Star 102.5 (WTSS FM)

If anyone needs one for their specific city, they can contact me on dms, or replies to this post.

Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

Henry

Quote from: ZLoth on November 28, 2022, 07:24:39 AM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on November 28, 2022, 06:34:37 AMAround here, it started dribbling in shortly after Halloween, and now every time I hear the damnable sleigh-bells I .... *goes black for a while*

Perhaps you should watch the "12 Pains Of Christmas"...

What always gets me about the song is that the angry man who rants about "working up the lights" sounds just like Mike Ditka.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hotdogPi

Fun fact: Last Christmas by Wham lasts at least a full minute past what you usually hear on the radio. I've heard a few seconds difference in ending time before, but today at Starbucks, I heard it go way past where it normally cuts off. No extra verses, though.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on December 13, 2022, 09:02:05 PM
Fun fact: Last Christmas by Wham lasts at least a full minute past what you usually hear on the radio. I've heard a few seconds difference in ending time before, but today at Starbucks, I heard it go way past where it normally cuts off. No extra verses, though.

I feel like they should have given you something for free to compensate you for that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.