News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gratuitous use of curse / swear / vulgar words.

Started by bwana39, January 10, 2023, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 12, 2023, 04:04:42 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 12, 2023, 03:55:53 PM
sagging pants

Researching the legal history of the term 'anal cleft' is a fun diversion...
Is that the same as "rectal crease?"

webny99

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 12, 2023, 03:30:56 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 12, 2023, 03:26:42 PMHow many boys try to go around wearing spaghetti straps?   :biggrin:
Come on dude, you know tank tops for men exist.

They do, but some of them have such tiny backs and/or massive arm holes that they might as well not exist.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 12, 2023, 03:55:53 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 12, 2023, 03:46:47 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 12, 2023, 01:49:03 PM
dress codes at bars and clubs are frequently aimed at racial minorities

Not being a nuisance, I legitimately want to know what this means.  Maybe because I never really got into the bar scene.  I have been to plenty, just I am too much of a square for them.

Essentially some businesses have a dress code that basically prohibits "urban fashion" -- plain white tees, hats, jerseys, sagging pants, etc.

Again, not being a nuisance, but those items are not limited to minorities.  There are a lot of places I see more anglo people wearing those items than minorities.  Jerseys... any NFL game. 

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 12, 2023, 03:56:33 PM

Not being a nuisance, I legitimately want to know what this means.  Maybe because I never really got into the bar scene.  I have been to plenty, just I am too much of a square for them.
This article has some good info:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1536504214567859

Yes, they're not explicitly racist; yes, they're (occasionally) enforced against white people (I was turned away from a lower-end nightclub in England because I was wearing gym shoes; a bouncer at The Guards in DC told me "next time, wear shoes" when I went there wearing Birkenstocks; Jack Rose Dining Saloon in Adams Morgan wouldn't let me in because I had gone to the Caps game that night and was wearing a Caps sweater).

I was told I couln't enter a club because I was wearing a baseball hat.  I am anglo decent. 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 12, 2023, 04:13:33 PM

Yes, they're not explicitly racist; yes, they're (occasionally) enforced against white people (I was turned away from a lower-end nightclub in England because I was wearing gym shoes; a bouncer at The Guards in DC told me "next time, wear shoes" when I went there wearing Birkenstocks; Jack Rose Dining Saloon in Adams Morgan wouldn't let me in because I had gone to the Caps game that night and was wearing a Caps sweater).

I was told I couln't enter a club because I was wearing a baseball hat.  I am anglo decent.

Tell me that you didn't read the article linked without telling me you didn't read it. Or, at least understand the inference.

abefroman329

RTFA

Scott5114

I'm a little surprised that businesses that enforce a dress code make enough money to continue as a going concern. If I were turned away due to how I was dressed, my reaction wouldn't be to go change and come back, it would be to spend my money somewhere else.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Is it OK to sag while wearing rebel flag underwear?   :hmmm:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 12, 2023, 04:27:12 PM

Tell me that you didn't read the article linked without telling me you didn't read it. Or, at least understand the inference.

I read it.  I don't agree with it.  I will keep it that way because I do not want to go there. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 12, 2023, 05:02:10 PM
I'm a little surprised that businesses that enforce a dress code make enough money to continue as a going concern. If I were turned away due to how I was dressed, my reaction wouldn't be to go change and come back, it would be to spend my money somewhere else.
I never went back to Jack Rose after that, and laughed my ass off when they started trying to sell themselves as a sports bar, but I guess no one else was bothered by it.

MultiMillionMiler

I 100% agree with this. If a business is making good money I don't understand their obsession with these trivial morales. Like when airlines have kicked people off and made people change their clothes just because a dress had "too revealing" straps, and recently I heard a story that airlines are complaining about how "casual" people dress in general, like wearing sweatshirts and sweatpants on 15 hr flights, and were flirting with the idea of implementing a low level, mandatory dress code. People should take their businesses elsewhere. I have always been of the view that it's not the government's right, nor the businesses absolute right to make absolute rules, that should be a general public consensus type of thing. If enough customers are against a rule that doesn't directly affect the operation of the business, they should be required to change it. Customers rights over government policy/owners rights.
And speaking of airlines, based on how horribly certain airlines like United and Southwest have been treating passengers, I made sure my flight last year was with delta or American.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 12, 2023, 04:38:17 PM

I was told I couldn't enter a club because I was wearing a baseball hat.  I am anglo decent.
RTFA
Red Tail Flight Academy?

abefroman329

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 12, 2023, 05:19:46 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 12, 2023, 04:38:17 PM

I was told I couldn't enter a club because I was wearing a baseball hat.  I am anglo decent.
RTFA
Red Tail Flight Academy?
R is for "Read," T is for "the," and A is for "article."

abefroman329

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 12, 2023, 05:16:00 PMLike when airlines have kicked people off and made people change their clothes just because a dress had "too revealing" straps
Because, if you give someone even a shred of authority, they will abuse the shit out of it.
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 12, 2023, 05:16:00 PMand recently I heard a story that airlines are complaining about how "casual" people dress in general, like wearing sweatshirts and sweatpants on 15 hr flights, and were flirting with the idea of implementing a low level, mandatory dress code.
There already is a not-so-secret dress code for nonrevs, and that is strictly enforced in premium cabins. But yeah, I'm not putting on a damn tuxedo for a Chicago-London redeye, nor should I be expected to.

Amaury

Quote from: kphoger on January 12, 2023, 02:08:50 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 12, 2023, 01:49:03 PM"No shirt, no shoes, no service" makes perfect sense from a hygiene standpoint.

As for shirts...  I can't think of any good reason for a store to require that its customers wear a shirt.

I actually find this one kind of funny. I realize that when it comes to things like this, you can't list everything under the sun, but if you take this in the literal sense/at face value, wouldn't that mean that you could walk into a business wearing only underwear, shoes, and a shirt? LOL Hell, that could also mean not even wearing underwear and only wearing shoes and a shirt. Although that second one would constitute indecent exposure and you would be charged. Now, from a logical/common sense point of view, even with not listing everything under the sun, common sense would tell you that you should also wear underwear and pants/jeans since especially underwear do make sense hygienically.

Interestingly enough, I came across a YouTube of channel a while ago with a few videos of two teenage brothers, who I'm pretty sure aren't of legal age yet, at least not when the videos were made, going into businesses (stores, fast-food restaurants, etc.) in their underwear. They wore everything else; they just didn't have pants on.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

kphoger

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 12, 2023, 05:16:00 PM
I don't understand their obsession with these trivial morales.

You mean this one?

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 12, 2023, 05:16:00 PM
I have aaslways been of the view that it's not the government's right, nor the businesses absolute right to make absolute rules, that should be a general public consensus type of thing. If enough customers are against a rule that doesn't directly affect the operation of the business, they should be required to change it. Customers rights over government policy/owners rights.

So, for example...

At this convenience store in Huntsville, Texas, exactly how many customers would have to be against the rule for the business owner to be required to accept money pulled out of people's underwear?  And how would this survey be conducted?  And how would you prove they were actually customers?  Do they count twice if they've shopped there twice?  If enough people want the rule back, would the business owner be required to reinstitute it?

Quote from: Amaury on January 12, 2023, 05:51:49 PM
I actually find this one kind of funny. I realize that when it comes to things like this, you can't list everything under the sun, but if you take this in the literal sense/at face value, wouldn't that mean that you could walk into a business wearing only underwear, shoes, and a shirt? LOL Hell, that could also mean not even wearing underwear and only wearing shoes and a shirt. Although that second one would constitute indecent exposure and you would be charged. Now, from a logical/common sense point of view, even with not listing everything under the sun, common sense would tell you that you should also wear underwear and pants/jeans since especially underwear do make sense hygienically.

That only makes logical sense if the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" thing were about hygiene to begin with.  But, as I said, they aren't.  There is no health code requiring shirts or shoes, no matter what the sign claims.  They started out as a way of keeping the hippies out, and they persist as a way of avoiding injury claims.

Quote from: Amaury on January 12, 2023, 05:51:49 PM
Interestingly enough, I came across a YouTube of channel a while ago with a few videos of two teenage brothers, who I'm pretty sure aren't of legal age yet, at least not when the videos were made, going into businesses (stores, fast-food restaurants, etc.) in their underwear. They wore everything else; they just didn't have pants on.

I once saw a man walking down the sidewalk, otherwise dressed normally, with no pants on–just tighty whiteys.  It was in Amsterdam, I think.  It made me do a double-take, but it's not like any harm was caused.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

TheHighwayMan3561

Or any of these clubs (which admittedly I don't know if this is real or just a TV trope) that evaluates each prospective patron for physical attractiveness/appearance beyond dress code considerations before allowing or refusing them entry just in order to procure a certain look for their clientele.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Amaury

Quote from: kphoger on January 12, 2023, 06:27:28 PMThat only makes logical sense if the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" thing were about hygiene to begin with.  But, as I said, they aren't.  There is no health code requiring shirts or shoes, no matter what the sign claims.  They started out as a way of keeping the hippies out, and they persist as a way of avoiding injury claims.

Yeah, I was only talking about it from the general hygienic perspective the public is told. I wasn't saying that I agree with it–or disagree with it, for that matter–I was just bringing up that point I find funny based on the wording itself of the signs. Until I saw some posts in this thread, whenever this subject has come up in my everyday life, I never actually thought it had to do with hygiene, I just thought it was a general business rule.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

abefroman329

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 12, 2023, 07:13:12 PM

Or any of these clubs (which admittedly I don't know if this is real or just a TV trope) that evaluates each prospective patron for physical attractiveness/appearance beyond dress code considerations before allowing or refusing them entry just in order to procure a certain look for their clientele.
Because the people they do allow in will pay dearly for the privilege of being allowed in.

I can count the number of times I've been to an honest-to-god club on one hand, and the closest I ever saw to something like what you're describing was when I was in line to get into a club in Manhattan and the bouncer announced "no more single men."  The woman behind me said to me "you can say you're with us" before I even knew what was going on or how to address it.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

I have been told that one reason the level of dress on airplanes has gone down is because of the TSA restrictions. It's easier to wear pants with elastic or drawstring waist than it is traditional pants with a belt because you have to remove the belt to go through the scanners.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on January 12, 2023, 09:41:16 PM
I have been told that one reason the level of dress on airplanes has gone down is because of the TSA restrictions. It's easier to wear pants with elastic or drawstring waist than it is traditional pants with a belt because you have to remove the belt to go through the scanners.

Oh, I bet!  In the years immediately after 9/11, I used to wear sandals just so I wouldn't haven't to untie my shoes.  This last time I flew, though, I wore a metal-buckled belt and a jean jacket with metal snaps.  Whatever...
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.