What roadtrips do you have planned for 2011?

Started by Dougtone, December 30, 2010, 07:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

What roadtrips do you have planned for 2011?  Please share...

For me, besides the usual trips around New York State as well as neighboring states, I am planning a trip out to Oregon and possibly northern California during the summer of 2011, a trip to eastern Ontario and southern Quebec, a long weekend trip into northern new England, and hopefully a trip towards the Southeast.

Ian

I have several. In May, I am going to Ohio for a traffic signal collectors meet. In the summer, I'm doing my annual trek to New Hampshire, Maine, and Lake George, NY but also may go up to Montreal. Not sure if there is much of anything more, but if there are any road meets close to me, I can go to those.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dr Frankenstein

There's a possibility for Buffalo in March, and Rimouski, QC somewhere in the summer. And the occasional trip to New England for skiing.

I also plan to finish clinching the Québec autoroute system by 2012 (well, 98% thereof).

agentsteel53

my San Felipe road trip will start today and end in 2011.

I am also considering a trip to St. Louis to clinch the last counties I need in the lower 48.

and a trip to Chile and Argentina to cross some 15000 foot passes across the Andes.

and a weeklong trip down to Cabo San Lucas.

and maybe Alaska in March for the northern lights.

and MLK day I might do the Big Bend area.

and that's not counting the trips I have not yet thought about!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

I'm going to see if I can drive every mile of state highway in Arizona in one year- the majority of my roadgeeking budget will go to that.

Beyond that just some small trips to check out some of the parts of the continent I haven't spent much time in- so Southern California/New Mexico/West Texas/Southern Utah/Sonora

I'll almost certainly drive from Tucson back to Idaho and back at some point, and maybe the same with Wyoming.

If my finances take a turn for the better (I'm in poor graduate student mode now), I'm going to try to take some sort of US-90 -> US-43 -> US-412 trip

SSOWorld

Sorry to say this, but it is likely that I won't have plans to travel (even to local areas) - I took a great hit from replacing my dead desktop late 2010 and need to recover - and though it will happen, it won't happen soon enough.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

I've penciled in 2011 road trips to Labrador (now that the Trans-Labrador Highway is complete), and to Colorado and perhaps beyond (trying to clinch the rest of US 50, with all my unclinched segments in CO, KS, and MO).  Timing TBA, probably late spring/summer.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

KEK Inc.

The North Cascades Highway is in my summer plan.
Take the road less traveled.

Alps

Two major trips: Southwest (Phoenix-San Diego-Oklahoma City-Texarkana meet-El Paso-Albuquerque-Phoenix) in March-April and West Canada (Thunder Bay-Fairbanks, or some such) in August-September.  corco, meet me in Arizona?

Minor trips: Leaning toward the Ann Arbor meet (assuming it happens), which will be this weekend.  Assorted trips to finish clinching Massachusetts state highways and start on Maryland.  Montreal meet planned for Memorial Day weekend (stay tuned!).  Believe I have a wedding to go to in Lynchburg, VA.  You tell me where else to go!

corco

Quotecorco, meet me in Arizona?

You know I'm up for that- let me know

Bryant5493

I'd like to get some Savannah area footage: Truman Parkway; U.S. 80 (Savannah to Tybee Island); I-516; Veterans Parkway; U.S. 17 (I-16 across the Savannah River and into South Carolina); and other local roadways.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Alps

Quote from: corco on December 30, 2010, 08:25:08 PM
Quotecorco, meet me in Arizona?

You know I'm up for that- let me know
It'll be a few days after the Texarkana meet - I think the Tuesday after.  So once that's nailed down (hoping it'll be definite this time)...

corco

QuoteIt'll be a few days after the Texarkana meet - I think the Tuesday after.  So once that's nailed down (hoping it'll be definite this time)...

Sounds good- just let me know, and if you need a place to stay I have a decent couch

golden eagle

The only trip I have planned so far is a day trip to Louisiana. My girlfriend-to-be and I are planning to take her kids to a parade during the Carnival season. Most likely either New Orleans or Baton Rouge. She's from Milwaukee but she hasn't said anything about planning a trip there. If she does and invites me, then I'll likely go.

Also, I'm going back to school at night starting in January, so my school schedule will dictate when I can take a trip.

wriddle082

My first roadtrip of the year will be towing the final U-Haul trailer full of stuff from the Nashville area to the Columbia, SC area.  This time I'm going through Atlanta!  I don't wanna even THINK about I-40 through Western NC until at least April!

Then on Monday, I will commute from Columbia to Augusta for work.  Around 70 miles, maybe less.  Considering what I've handled in the past, I think I can handle this.  SC traffic volumes aren't nearly as bad as TN traffic volumes.

But as far as true roadtrips, nothing really planned out at the moment.  Maybe another trip down to FL.  One thing I'd really like to do is plan a road meet in Charleston.

hbelkins

I'll probably center my trips on meets. I plan to do Adam Moss' north Jersey meet in March, will probably choose from either Texarkana or Kansas this spring, and expect to do Watertown, NY this fall. I'm also going to plan to go to any South Carolina meet that Billy Riddle hosts in his new home state and will try to clinch all of North Carolina's counties on that jaunt. I will probably also do Brian Powell's proposed Morgantown/Fairmont, WV meet trip since it's a short drive, and whatever Ohio meet destination that Dan Garnell determines for this spring. I'm also interested in another trip to Pennsylvania if Jeff Kitsko hosts a meet (he's mentioned possibly doing one in Williamsport). Anything else is up in the air at this point. In recent years I've tended to tie my trips to meets instead of just road tripping for road tripping's sake.

For those of you pondering trips, I'm probably going to host a meet sometime this spring but I haven't decided where yet. I had been thinking about either Bowling Green or Hopkinsville, Ky., but now am considering the Ohio/Kentucky/West Virginia region in Ashland or Huntington. Not a lot of active construction in that area, if any, but plenty of stub goodness to see.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on December 31, 2010, 03:04:50 AM
I'll probably center my trips on meets. I plan to do Adam Moss' north Jersey meet in March, will probably choose from either Texarkana or Kansas this spring, and expect to do Watertown, NY this fall. I'm also going to plan to go to any South Carolina meet that Billy Riddle hosts in his new home state and will try to clinch all of North Carolina's counties on that jaunt. I will probably also do Brian Powell's proposed Morgantown/Fairmont, WV meet trip since it's a short drive, and whatever Ohio meet destination that Dan Garnell determines for this spring. I'm also interested in another trip to Pennsylvania if Jeff Kitsko hosts a meet (he's mentioned possibly doing one in Williamsport). Anything else is up in the air at this point. In recent years I've tended to tie my trips to meets instead of just road tripping for road tripping's sake.

For those of you pondering trips, I'm probably going to host a meet sometime this spring but I haven't decided where yet. I had been thinking about either Bowling Green or Hopkinsville, Ky., but now am considering the Ohio/Kentucky/West Virginia region in Ashland or Huntington. Not a lot of active construction in that area, if any, but plenty of stub goodness to see.

I'll probably be going to the New Jersey meets this year.  Williamsport would also be a possibility for me, since it's not too far from me and would give me a chance to explore more in the area.  I'll use that knowledge to remind people that there's a good number of Keystone signs to be found near Williamsport.

Michael in Philly

RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Dougtone

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 30, 2010, 07:43:56 PM
Two major trips: Southwest (Phoenix-San Diego-Oklahoma City-Texarkana meet-El Paso-Albuquerque-Phoenix) in March-April and West Canada (Thunder Bay-Fairbanks, or some such) in August-September.  corco, meet me in Arizona?

Minor trips: Leaning toward the Ann Arbor meet (assuming it happens), which will be this weekend.  Assorted trips to finish clinching Massachusetts state highways and start on Maryland.  Montreal meet planned for Memorial Day weekend (stay tuned!).  Believe I have a wedding to go to in Lynchburg, VA.  You tell me where else to go!

How about some more northern New England trips?

froggie

Aside from my normal Vermont trips and probably the annual (or semi-annual?) sojurn to Newcastle, ME, and perhaps getting down to South Carolina to see the Riddle fam (since Columbia is a lot easier for me to escape to than Nashville), I don't really have anything planned this year.  Still in debate about where to go for (or if we'll even have) summer vacation.

Trips to Ottawa and/or Rhode Island are also distinct possibilities, but those would be work-related.

74/171FAN

I have no idea except for coming home and then heading back to Blacksburg every so often.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Eth

I'll certainly make my standard DC-to-Atlanta run at least twice, probably more like 4-6 times, with at least one of those proceeding on to Florida.  At this point, I have about ten different ways to get to Georgia, so I think the roadgeeking aspect of that may be pretty well exhausted.  Nothing else long-range currently planned (by car anyway).

Duke87

I have an idea bouncing around in my head of spending a long weekend wandering around northern New England, possibly spilling over into Canada (I have a passport now, so why not). But I'm not acting on this until CMap gets Vermont's state highway system at least in visible development. I have too many dummy lines in my list file for those as it is.

There will at the very least be a few Saturdays spent on the road (two key goals: finish clinching Massachusetts' interstates and Connecticut's US highways), plus a couple meets attended.

Also, my father and I are planning a trip to Cincinnati sometime this summer. That's the next baseball stadium to cross off our list.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteBut I'm not acting on this until CMap gets Vermont's state highway system at least in visible development.

I've started it, but real life priorities took precedence for awhile.  It's still on my to-do list.

Laura

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 30, 2010, 07:43:56 PM
Believe I have a wedding to go to in Lynchburg, VA.  You tell me where else to go!

Haha, I have a wedding to go to down in Lynchburg this year, too! (Unlikely it's the same wedding, but you never know - the wedding I'm attending is on 7-9-11.)

As far as roadtrips go...I'm honestly not sure where I'm going because half the places I went this calendar year were on-the-fly and planned at the last minute (Akron, OH and New England being the big ones I took.) I usually go to Lynchburg, VA and New York City a few times a year to visit friends, so I'm sure I'll be doing those again. There are plenty of meets going on that I'll probably center my travels around. I'm hoping to be able to go to Montreal for the meet there. I'd also like to do a trip out west (either to Phoenix, AZ or Missoula, MT to visit friends) if I can pull it off somehow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.