News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

OpenStreetMap

Started by NE2, April 11, 2011, 10:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

What are the "green" highways (lines) supposed to represent?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

route56

Quote from: Adam Smith on May 09, 2011, 04:20:12 PM
What are the "green" highways (lines) supposed to represent?

They are roadways designated as "trunk roads." As pointed out, the roadway classification is british oriented rather than US. As I mentioned above, any highway that I designate as "trunk" in Kansas will be a controlled access facility with flat junctions. YMMV with other OSM users.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

jjakucyk

To expand on what route56 said, it's basically an expressway.  Controlled access, maybe some grade separated interchanges, but can have at-grade intersections too.  It's higher than a surface arterial, but it's not a full-on interstate highway either.  Rural divided highways with at-grade intersections would apply as well. 

realjd

In Florida at least, in my mind a good and easy differentiator between red primary highways and green trunk highways would be speed limit. Divided highways with speed limit 65 are usually fast, have minimal at-grade intersections, and no driveways. Compare to divided highways with a speed limit of 55 which aren't necessarily like that.

Looking around the rest of the state, that mostly (but not always) holds. It seems like most 65 mph roads are marked green, but some slower, non-controlled access roads are also marked green.

NE2

Quote from: jjakucyk on May 09, 2011, 05:18:00 PM
To expand on what route56 said, it's basically an expressway.  Controlled access, maybe some grade separated interchanges, but can have at-grade intersections too.  It's higher than a surface arterial, but it's not a full-on interstate highway either.  Rural divided highways with at-grade intersections would apply as well. 
It's also used for major intercity highways that haven't (yet) been expresswayed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on May 09, 2011, 08:44:30 PM
Quote from: jjakucyk on May 09, 2011, 05:18:00 PM
It's also used for major intercity highways that haven't (yet) been expresswayed.

That's what I've put McKnight Rd (US-19 Truck) as up here in Pittsburgh as trunk.  While it does have the segment between it's two Babcock Blvd intersections that might be "primary", it's going to stay as trunk because the last thing is that we need people to be directed to Perry Hwy.  Especially because of that wicked U-Turn curve in West View.  North and South of both Babcock Blvd intersections, it's speeds are 50mph (North) and 45mph (South) with little to no business driveways.

NE2

Quote from: realjd on May 09, 2011, 07:10:46 PM
In Florida at least, in my mind a good and easy differentiator between red primary highways and green trunk highways would be speed limit. Divided highways with speed limit 65 are usually fast, have minimal at-grade intersections, and no driveways. Compare to divided highways with a speed limit of 55 which aren't necessarily like that.

Looking around the rest of the state, that mostly (but not always) holds. It seems like most 65 mph roads are marked green, but some slower, non-controlled access roads are also marked green.
In Florida I generally used trunk for rural four-lanes and a few rural two-lanes that continue the four-lane corridors, except where paralleled by an Interstate (Florida has a nice number of four-lane U.S. Routes right next to Interstates).

Post Merge: May 10, 2011, 05:35:11 PM

Quote from: route56 on May 08, 2011, 04:28:05 PM
Motorway/Freeway is pretty obvious. I use KDOT maps as a reference (primary = major arterial, secondary = minor arterial, tertiary = collector). Those maps do not, however, distinguish rural expressways. That, unfortunately, still requires first-hand knowledge.
If you're going to tag based on HFCS, please use the HFCS=* tag so the functional classification information will remain even if someone changes some of the OSM classifications.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Just a note for mappers that (some?) 2010 NAIP aerials are now available via WMS: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_Agriculture_Imagery_Program

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on May 15, 2011, 04:36:39 PM
Just a note for mappers that (some?) 2010 NAIP aerials are now available via WMS: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_Agriculture_Imagery_Program

Nice.  Should make it a lot easier to use them when needed.

route56

Quote from: NE2 on May 10, 2011, 05:26:11 AM
If you're going to tag based on HFCS, please use the HFCS=* tag so the functional classification information will remain even if someone changes some of the OSM classifications.

Got it.

Now, How do I tell people that the legal name of a road is "E 1000" and NOT "East 1000"

R.P.K.

NE2

Quote from: route56 on May 17, 2011, 10:16:42 AM
Now, How do I tell people that the legal name of a road is "E 1000" and NOT "East 1000"

If the E is short for East, it should be expanded: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name#Abbreviation_.28don.27t_do_it.29 Otherwise smack the bot operator upside the head if he's expanding stuff incorrectly like E Street to East Street.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: route56 on May 17, 2011, 10:16:42 AM

You could add a "note=*" tag if necessary to let people know that the "E" doesn't mean "East" if you wanted to.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jjakucyk on May 08, 2011, 06:14:00 PM
I did a lot of work on OSM for the Cincinnati area, and have generally been pleased with the results.  One thing that's tripped me up though is that rendering gets messed up with multi-level interchanges of different road classifications.  Once bridges are involved, the renderer seems to only use the road classification to base the draw order, and it ignores any specific layer settings.  For instance, in the following view, Columbia Parkway (trunk) renders below the various I-71 and I-471 (motorway) ramps, even though Columbia Parkway is on layer 5 and the ramps are on layers 1 or 2.  I haven't looked into it for a while, but I think there is an outstanding bug ticket, though nobody seems to care much about it.  Nevertheless, that's the one thing that really bugs me.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.10417&lon=-84.50186&zoom=17&layers=M

jjakucyk, you might want to take a look now. ;)  They have finally fixed this bug in Mapnik this weekend!!

Here's an area in Pittsburgh that had the same *rendering* problem, but has been fixed. :)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.4424&lon=-79.99224&zoom=17&layers=M
(But not all zoom levels have been updated yet.  Zoom out and you'll see what I mean. ;))

NE2

Whoa. Awesome.

Now to get long refs rendered...

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on May 21, 2011, 05:03:31 PM
Whoa. Awesome.

Now to get long refs rendered...

Yep, it is awesome.  It took them long enough to deal with it. haha.
[r26009]

I also agree about those long refs too.  How goes your "offline" test of a possible fix for that?

NE2

The George Washington Bridge bus station roadways (highway=service) are finally drawn on top :)

I gave up with trying to get long refs working when I realized each rounded rectangle shield background is a separate image (so multiline refs would need a bunch more images for each color).

jjakucyk

Great that they finally fixed the layering bug.  Now if I could only fix problems on Google Maps as easily.  :P

route56

I've been using the HFCS tags of Major Arterial (Rural), Major Arterial (Urban), Minor Arterial (Rural), Minor Arterial (Urban), Major Collector, Minor Collector, and Urban Collector. I've been re-working OSM classification based on the suggested HFCS to OSM tag suggestions on this page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Functional_Classification_System

Basically:
Trunk = Major Arterial (Rural)
Primary = Major Arterial (Urban), Minor Arterial (Rural)
Secondary = Minor Arterial (Urban), Major Collector
Tertiary = Urban Collector, Minor Collector
Any segment that's fully controlled access (e.g., three interchanges with no "flat" junctions between them) will get the "motorway" tag regardless of HFCS.

There's still a little play in the system, and there's a question of how to label a Major Arterial that goes straight through an urban area.

R.P.K.

WillWeaverRVA

Given my problems with Google Map Maker, I'm probably going to try to participate in this project instead. The people involved seem to know what they're doing...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

rickmastfan67

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on May 23, 2011, 02:16:01 PM
The people involved seem to know what they're doing...

hehe.  Yeah.  Google's way will just lead to more problems and their data going down the tank.

mightyace

Now, if I could only find an app for my droid that would use OSM instead of Google.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

NE2

I don't know how good these are, but http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android lists a bunch.

mightyace

Thanks, I'll have to give them a look.

I didn't know there were so many.  Hopefully at least ONE will work for me.  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Dr Frankenstein

Am I the only one who's unable to save right now? I have the message "Failure when uploading data", and my network sniffer tells me that the server returns a "400 Bad request" when creating the changeset.

NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.