News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cryptic word messages on traffic signs

Started by J N Winkler, July 02, 2012, 08:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

The intent of this thread is to capture word messages which appear on signs and are difficult for the ordinary motorist to understand as a result of, e.g., use of specialized terminology or references to unfamiliar regulatory frameworks, but not purely because they are in a different language.  Submissions are welcome regardless of language.

A few examples to kick this off:

GREEN RIVER ORDINANCE ENFORCED--generally means "businesses must obtain a license to operate in this jurisdiction" (the requirement to be licensed is designed to curb fly-by-night operators, and is called "Green River ordinance" on these signs apparently because it was pioneered in the town of Green River, Wyoming)

SADDLE MOUNTS MUST STOP--I have only ever seen this particular message on signs in Wyoming, but I think the relevant legal requirement must apply more generally.  "Saddle mount" in this context has nothing to do with horseback riding, but refers instead to one tractor unit being towed by another, with the towed tractor's front axle off the ground and secured to the back of the towing unit at the latter's hitch (so that the towed unit seems to be "riding" the towing unit).  In Wyoming these combinations must stop at designated Ports of Entry (which are weigh stations by another name)

FUEL--MILEAGE--PRORATION--This is a standard sign in Nebraska and appears to be used to designate refueling points like truck stops where (as I understand it) truckers can validate mileage travelled in Nebraska for IFTA purposes
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

on_wisconsin

How about " Town Of Durand Zoning Permit Required"
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

NE2

No Parking on Pavement or Parkway.

Stop Here for Pedestrians might as well be given the horrible compliance.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 02, 2012, 08:39:26 PM

GREEN RIVER ORDINANCE ENFORCED--generally means "businesses must obtain a license to operate in this jurisdiction" (the requirement to be licensed is designed to curb fly-by-night operators, and is called "Green River ordinance" on these signs apparently because it was pioneered in the town of Green River, Wyoming)

Green River Ordinance is intended to restrict door to door sales (such as the Fuller Brush Man). Many towns in Arkansas have this, though enforcement has been rather lax in the last few years.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

EXEMPT - as applied to a railroad crossing in California.  anyone know what it means, apart from railroad and highway workers?

for a colloquialism: TEXAS GATE in Alberta.  that said, the item in question is right next to the warning sign and can be glarked from context readily - it is what is known in the US as a cattle guard.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

and a colloquialism which has passed out of use since the 50s: BLOCK MOTHER AREA.  It sounds like a Pink Floyd song title, but the Block Mother was the person who was responsible for finding all the children after the bomb hit.

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 02, 2012, 09:07:51 PM
EXEMPT - as applied to a railroad crossing in California.  anyone know what it means, apart from railroad and highway workers?

It means that vehicles that are required to stop at railroad crossings are exempt from having to stop at crossings marked as exempt.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on July 02, 2012, 09:11:29 PM

It means that vehicles that are required to stop at railroad crossings are exempt from having to stop at crossings marked as exempt.

I think, then, that it qualifies for this thread, as the ordinary motorist would not have much idea what it means. 

jake@aaroads.com

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 02, 2012, 09:14:28 PM
Quote from: bugo on July 02, 2012, 09:11:29 PM

I think, then, that it qualifies for this thread, as the ordinary motorist would not have much idea what it means. 

I think it's common nationwide, not just California.  I'm pretty sure it's explained the Washington driver's manual.

Scott5114

Oklahoma has it too. I was confused at first but was able to puzzle through its meaning when the school bus I was on didn't stop for the tracks, and seeing the plaque in other circumstances where it would be dangerous for vehicles to have to come to a complete stop (the James River Freeway comes to mind).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mukade

They are also posted in Indiana. As the posting of the EXEMPT sign coincided with the paving over of the RR crossing, I was able to figure it out.

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 02, 2012, 11:03:12 PM
Oklahoma has it too. I was confused at first but was able to puzzle through its meaning when the school bus I was on didn't stop for the tracks, and seeing the plaque in other circumstances where it would be dangerous for vehicles to have to come to a complete stop (the James River Freeway comes to mind).

Thank goodness that (JRF) won't be a problem much longer.

Arkansas, BTW, also has "Exempt" crossings...not that I can think f any off-hand.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

agentsteel53

if a railroad crossing is paved over, is it still a railroad crossing?

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 02, 2012, 11:26:50 PM
if a railroad crossing is paved over, is it still a railroad crossing?

No but often the signs remain since there's no point in bothering to go to the expense of taking them down, thus exempt plaques.

Also, they taught us what that means in Virginia, I never had any question about it.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

A lot of people question "THICKLY SETTLED" in Massachusetts, but it seems intuitive to me. It is an area that has been settled thickly, or to a high density.

bugo

Quote from: US71 on July 02, 2012, 11:14:32 PM

Arkansas, BTW, also has "Exempt" crossings...not that I can think f any off-hand.

There used to be one on US 70B east of AR 7 along Grand Avenue.  It might still be there.

vtk

Are there any signs still standing that say "BURN LIGHTS WITH WIPERS"?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 02, 2012, 10:46:12 PMI think it's common nationwide, not just California.  I'm pretty sure it's explained the Washington driver's manual.

The "EXEMPT" sign is in the MUTCD.  Where California is bug-eyed weird is in having two different versions of the "EXEMPT" sign, with slightly different meaning (if memory serves, one sign covers a class of vehicles the other doesn't).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadfro

Quote from: Steve on July 02, 2012, 11:36:21 PM
A lot of people question "THICKLY SETTLED" in Massachusetts, but it seems intuitive to me. It is an area that has been settled thickly, or to a high density.

An alternate version of this meaning that I've seen is "Congested Area", which is less intuitive...

Quote from: vtk on July 03, 2012, 12:41:44 AM

I imagine many of these might be replaced with the newer slogan "Wipers On, Lights On". There may even be a new MUTCD standard sign for this instruction...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

1995hoo

North Carolina uses a version of that: "State Law [underscore separator] Burn Headlights When Using Wipers." The signs aren't particularly big nor prominent, either. "Invisible cars" in the rain or snow are a pet peeve of mine and I wish these signs would be made very noticeable.

Regarding cryptic messages, the average motorist might scratch his head at the signs in Florida that say "PREPASS Follow In-Cab Signals." These signs appear in advance of weigh stations and are targeted at truck drivers. They're an example of a sign where the people who need to know what it means will understand it. I recall when signs using the term "HAZMAT Carriers" first appeared on the Beltway in Virginia a lot of car drivers were confused by them (the signs were later amended to say "HAZMAT Trucks"), but again, the people who needed to be concerned about the lane restrictions for HAZMAT carriers knew what the term meant.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on July 02, 2012, 11:36:21 PM

the usage renders it unintuitive.  you see it in rural parts of the state where the population density is 20% more than surrounding farmlands - but you don't see it in Boston, or in suburbs! 

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 03, 2012, 02:29:01 AM

The "EXEMPT" sign is in the MUTCD.  Where California is bug-eyed weird is in having two different versions of the "EXEMPT" sign, with slightly different meaning (if memory serves, one sign covers a class of vehicles the other doesn't).

on a related note, California has SPEED LIMIT and MAXIMUM SPEED signs.  there is a difference, but you effectively need to pass the bar to know what it is.

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 03, 2012, 09:55:24 AM
on a related note, California has SPEED LIMIT and MAXIMUM SPEED signs.  there is a difference, but you effectively need to pass the bar to know what it is.
IIRC, Caltrans is no longer posting signs that say MAXIMUM SPEED although they aren't actively replacing existing signs.  In other words, MAXIMUM SPEED signs can remain until they are damaged or replaced due to age.

Here's a snippet from Wikipedia that explains why California had to post MAXIMUM SPEED signs...
Quote from: wikipediaWhen the National Maximum Speed Law was enacted, California was forced to create a new legal signage category, "Maximum Speed", to indicate to drivers that the Basic Speed Law did not apply for speeds over the federally mandated speed cap; rather, it would be a violation to exceed the fixed maximum speed indicated on the sign, regardless of whether the driver's speed could be considered "reasonable and prudent".
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 03, 2012, 07:33:57 AM

North Carolina uses a version of that: "State Law [underscore separator] Burn Headlights When Using Wipers." The signs aren't particularly big nor prominent, either. "Invisible cars" in the rain or snow are a pet peeve of mine and I wish these signs would be made very noticeable.

The Tar Heel State also posts "Motorcycles Burn Headlights" at many (most?) (all?) highways entering the state.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.