News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Disconnected, abandoned, but still under state control

Started by mcdonaat, December 21, 2012, 11:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

LA 1141 was a short state highway, serving Monkey Island and the residents that lived on it (an island in the Calcasieu River, separated by the construction of the Calcasieu River Pass). A ferry operated to the few residents that needed to access the mainland, but Hurricane Rita wiped most of the houses off of the map. The part of LA 1141 still on Monkey Island is abandoned, but actually still under state control. Any other instances?

http://goo.gl/maps/vsyG9

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: mcdonaat on December 21, 2012, 11:31:29 PM
LA 1141 was a short state highway, serving Monkey Island and the residents that lived on it (an island in the Calcasieu River, separated by the construction of the Calcasieu River Pass). A ferry operated to the few residents that needed to access the mainland, but Hurricane Rita wiped most of the houses off of the map. The part of LA 1141 still on Monkey Island is abandoned, but actually still under state control. Any other instances?

Is that area prohibited?
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on December 21, 2012, 11:44:18 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on December 21, 2012, 11:31:29 PM

Is that area prohibited?
Not prohibited, but not accessible except by personal boat.

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: mcdonaat on December 21, 2012, 11:45:38 PM

Sounds like I've found a future trip.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on December 21, 2012, 11:37:13 PM
NJ 167.
Technically, only the parts of 167 that are accessible to the public are still under state control. NJ 324, on the other hand, has signs telling traffic not to head west to the water, but that's all still officially part of the route.

txstateends

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on December 21, 2012, 11:47:33 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on December 21, 2012, 11:45:38 PM

Sounds like I've found a future trip.

He moves from Crapnibone to East Crapnibone in a single bound while still having his sanctimoniousness, and owns a personal boat in order to find controlled/disconnected state routes in his spare time!

Sounds like he's fairly talented to do all that ;-)
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/gbh594Sqz9QqMhxk9
The pre 1988 exit ramp for NB US 202 & 206 to Woodlawn Avenue in Bridgewater, NJ is still kept after 35 years for whatever the state uses it for as it’s still NJDOT property.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Unless something has changed, the now-closed Aetnaville Bridge between Ohio and West Virginia is still cataloged as WV 252.

KY 3181 is a closed bridge in Franklin County, west of Frankfort. It's adjacent to KY 1005 which has been rerouted onto a newer bridge.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ilpt4u

Pretty sure IDOT still owns the closed-off section of old US 66/Joliet Rd between 55th St & East Ave

The quarry adjacent to 66 dug too close to the road (or something similar) is why this section is shuttered

pderocco

CA-173 has a ten mile stretch of dirt road that is now permanently closed (so they say):

https://goo.gl/maps/or8jRShEsTwudfAy6

Last time I drove it was in 2011, and the longitudinal gullies from runoff were so deep and long that I had to carefully plan ahead to decide which path to take to avoid having to back all the way up.

roadman65

NJ Route 167. It is a dead end to nowhere as it was once part of US 9 before the Mullica River Bridge closed and the fact the nearby Garden State Parkway is redundant to a rebuild.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

A couple of driveways representing the old alignment of MD 22 in Aberdeen west of I-95 became suffixed auxiliary routes of it; they are now gone.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

TheHighwayMan3561

I would very much imagine the newly abandoned portions of former MN 67 along the Minnesota River near Sioux Agency State Park are still under MnDOT ownership.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

pianocello

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2023, 11:41:38 AM
Unless something has changed, the now-closed Aetnaville Bridge between Ohio and West Virginia is still cataloged as WV 252.

On that note, is the Wheeling suspension bridge still closed? (and is it still maintained by WV?)
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

LilianaUwU

A-30 in Bécancour uses the C/D ramps at A-55, but the actual highway in the middle is very much still in the MTQ's hands (after all, it's in the right of way) and used for paint tests.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2023, 11:41:38 AM

Quote from: pianocello on January 11, 2023, 06:21:22 PM
On that note, is the Wheeling suspension bridge still closed? (and is it still maintained by WV?)

Yes, but it remains open to bicycles and pedestrians.  Because of the historical significance of this bridge, the DOH is currently working on a big rehabilitation project that will reopen the structure to some vehicular traffic.  Advantage Steel & Construction out of Saxonburg, Pennsylvania, is the bridge rehab contractor.  The project was rebid several times after single bids came in each time in the first few rounds of contracting.  So far, no word of any projected completion date.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 09, 2023, 09:14:55 PM
Pretty sure IDOT still owns the closed-off section of old US 66/Joliet Rd between 55th St & East Ave

The quarry adjacent to 66 dug too close to the road (or something similar) is why this section is shuttered
Yep, they had to close it because they found it was dangerously close to collapsing into the quarry (a little scary).

US 89

Utah's SR 298 jumps to mind here. The legal definition is "Roads at the Browning Armory in South Ogden used for automotive drivers' ability tests including parking areas", suggesting that it is a driver's test route similar to Utah 299... but if you look at the map, that's only half the story:

The drivers' license office and its associated parking lot and test areas are at top left. That whole southern segment was a driver's test course at one point (some of the old paint is still showing, and you can see where it used to connect). Those roads are now disused as the land they sit on has been transferred to the Browning Armory, a Utah National Guard facility. And this is how one supposedly would get back there (note: I do not recommend doing this).

Yet for some reason, this is all still SR 298, and the theoretical route of 298 on National Guard property goes directly through a fence.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.