News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tennessee

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownpelican

I was in Memphis over the weekend and forgot to check out 385.

I do wonder what was the original plan for the ghost ramp from I-40 east at the Riverside Drive exit. Other than that, I was able to cover all of the freeway system inside the Memphis city limits except the DeSoto Bridge thanks to me and my lady going all over the place...even got a few pics. It's not a bad system if you ask me...even though I-40 wasn't built on its original route.

[Removed unnecessary markup. -S.]

froggie

Early proposals were for a freeway roughly along Riverside Dr between I-40 and I-55.

codyg1985

A project to add lanes to I-65 between TN 96 in Franklin and TN 840 is expected to begin this fall.

IMO, the widening needs to be extended south to Saturn Pkwy since that is where it seems a lot of the traffic gets on I-65, but this is a big step in the right direction.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Grzrd

TDOT announced today its choice for a new roundabout interchange for I-55/ Crump Blvd.:

http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/5930

Here's link to a pdf of the interchange: http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/system/files/I-55%20%40%20Crump%20Alt%20Z-1.PDF

wriddle082

Catching up on a few quotes here...

Quote from: mightyace on September 13, 2010, 12:48:59 AM
Proposal to connect West End and north Nashville back on table

28th Street Connector Project Moves Forward

Getting moving on the 28th Avenue Connector

If one would want to get from the West End/Venderbilt area up to I-65 north, this would lead to the 28th Ave. exit of I-40, and would be slightly less tedious than going west to I-440 W to I-40 E, or going east to I-40 E/I-65 N.  This should have been built 20 years ago!

Quote from: Grzrd on September 13, 2010, 03:42:31 PM
TDOT announced today its choice for a new roundabout interchange for I-55/ Crump Blvd.:

http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/5930

Here's link to a pdf of the interchange: http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/system/files/I-55%20%40%20Crump%20Alt%20Z-1.PDF

Just saw this tonight.  Looks to be pretty creative, and the main thing is that it finally lets I-55 traffic flow uninterrupted and makes it a better alternative to the I-40 Hernando Desoto Bridge.

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 30, 2010, 07:33:25 AM
A project to add lanes to I-65 between TN 96 in Franklin and TN 840 is expected to begin this fall.

IMO, the widening needs to be extended south to Saturn Pkwy since that is where it seems a lot of the traffic gets on I-65, but this is a big step in the right direction.

I've been saying this all along too, but I suppose more traffic now drops off at TN 840 than it did before it was extended from US 431 to US 31.

Still, though, once past both TN 840 and TN 386 (Saturn Pkwy.), it's a pretty dramatic drop in traffic all the way to Athens, AL.  Maybe it's that animosity b/w Vols and Tide fans that keeps 65 at low volumes, not that I care one bit about it, but it's certainly a pleasant drive with pleasant scenery!

Alex

TDOT Announces 5th Interchange at Mine Lick Creek on I-40 in Cookeville

Oct 13, 2010

Tennessee Department of Transportation officials joined Senator Charlotte Burks and Representatives Henry Fincher and Charles Curtiss to announce federal approval for a proposed new Interstate 40 interchange at Mine Lick Creek Road in Cookeville. The Federal Highway Administration has approved TDOT's Interstate Access request for the proposed interchange after determining that the diamond interchange alternative to connect I-40 to U.S. Highway 70 North and eventually to State Route 136 is operationally acceptable.

"Access into and out of a community is vital to its continued growth and development, so it is vital our infrastructure keep pace with expansion in the Cookeville area,"  said TDOT Commissioner Gerald Nicely. "Highway 70 North and State Route 136 are main routes in the city and once complete this interchange will improve access and increase economic development opportunities in this area."

The project is part of Putnam County's and Cookeville's long range transportation plan. The original request for a new interchange was made by former Cookeville Mayor Charles T. Womack, and the initial Interchange Justification Study was completed in August 2000. TDOT submitted the current Interchange Justification Study to the Federal Highway Administration in March 2010, and it was approved on September 14, 2010.

"The new interchange will be a vital link to the new business park and will benefit the city of Cookeville and the entire Putnam County region,"  said Senator Burks. "This project is clearly needed to support future growth in the area, and I am pleased to see TDOT moving forward with this important I-40 project."

"This interchange has received great support from city and county officials,"  added Representative Fincher. "I am pleased the project has been approved by the Federal Highway Administration and is going forward."

Representative Curtiss added, "This interchange will support economic growth in the Cookeville area and I look forward to the day that it is a reality."

TDOT plans to construct a diamond interchange on I-40 at Mine Lick Creek Road. The northern side of the interchange will connect to U.S. 70 North and the southern side will connect to Lee Seminary Road and will eventually tie into SR-136.  The project will enhance economic development south of I-40 by providing access to the Highlands Business Park. The project is estimated to cost around $14 million.

TDOT will begin the ground survey of the project later this year in preparation for preliminary plans, which should be ready by spring of 2011. Final right-of-way plans are slated to be complete in spring of 2012, after which the project can proceed to right-of-way acquisition. Right-of-way funding for the project is included in the state's three-year plan, but funding will not be authorized until completion of preliminary design work and issuance of final right-of-way plans in the spring of 2012. Construction has not been funded yet, but the project should be ready for construction funding in 2013.

codyg1985

Diverging Diamond Interchange set to open in Alcoa, TN

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee Department of Transportation officials will join the city of Alcoa to officially open a new Diverging Diamond Interchange that connects U.S. 129/SR-115 to Middlesettlements Road and Bessemer Street. The interchange will be one of only five open to traffic in the United States and is the first Diverging Diamond Interchange in Tennessee.

The eastbound lanes of the new interchange will open to traffic on Saturday morning, December 11, and the westbound lanes will open on Tuesday morning, December 14.  TDOT partnered with the city of Alcoa to design and build the new interchange and the two agencies will hold a media availability event before the official opening of the interchange on Monday, December 13 at 1:30 p.m. on the new U.S. 129 north ramp to Bessemer Street.

The $2.9 million interchange was chosen by Alcoa community leaders to optimize three lanes, decrease construction time and save money that would have been needed to build a new bridge. 

The new interchange will re-align Middlesettlements Road to tie into Bessemer Street. The interchange is actually located under U.S. 129 and is the first in the nation in operation that is located beneath a highway.

Concrete barriers, stop bars, detailed signs, pavement markings and traffic signals will be used to guide motorists through the diverging diamond design. The interchange will also be studied by the Federal Highway Administration.

Media representatives are encouraged to attend the media event for interviews with TDOT personnel, Alcoa officials and designers with Gresham Smith and Partners. The media availability will provide the press with a close up look at the interchange before the westbound lanes open on Tuesday.

Who:               TDOT staff, Alcoa officials, Gresham Smith and Partners

What:              Diverging Diamond Interchange. Shortened instructional video produced by Gresham Smith and Partners is attached to this media advisory. The full version will be provided to the media on Monday.
Cody Goodman

wriddle082

The new commissioner of TDOT under Governor-elect Bill Haslam will be John Schroer, current Mayor of Franklin, TN.

Franklin is one of the only places in TN where Clearview exists.

Will this be the push TN needs to adopt Clearview?

NASHVILLE — Tennessee Governor-elect Bill Haslam today announced Franklin Mayor John Schroer as Commissioner of the Tennessee Department of Transportation.

Schroer was sworn in as Franklin Mayor in 2007, and is a member of the Middle Tennessee Metropolitan Planning Organization and the Regional Transit Authority.

Schroer spent a decade working in commercial real estate finance before starting his own development business. Prior to his election, he served on the Franklin Special School Board for 13 years, and he also has served on the board of the Tennessee School Board Association.

"As a mayor, John Schroer has knowledge of transportation issues at the ground level, and he's shown himself to be someone who gets results,"  Haslam said. "I'm grateful that he's joining our team, and I believe Tennessee's transportation system will be in good hands."

The Transportation Department (TDOT) handles multiple transportation responsibilities including highways, aviation, public transit, waterways and railroads.

Schroer has a bachelor's degree in business from Indiana University and an MBA from the University of Tennessee. He served previously on the Williamson County United Way board and was a founding board member of Franklin Tomorrow.

"I'm excited to be joining the outstanding team Gov.-elect Haslam has put together, and I'm honored and humbled by the choice,"  Schroer said. "I've worked with TDOT previously, and I'm looking forward to begin working with the great staff at the department."

Schroer, 59, is married to Marianne, and they have three grown children. They are members of Franklin First United Methodist Church.

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 10, 2010, 07:41:35 PM
Diverging Diamond Interchange set to open in Alcoa, TN

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee Department of Transportation officials will join the city of Alcoa to officially open a new Diverging Diamond Interchange that connects U.S. 129/SR-115 to Middlesettlements Road and Bessemer Street. The interchange will be one of only five open to traffic in the United States and is the first Diverging Diamond Interchange in Tennessee.
TDOT currently has an aerial photograph of the interchange on their homepage:

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/

froggie

Google Maps satellite view shows the interchange partway through construction.  It replaced an older, more-or-less-diamond interchange.

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Grzrd

Thanks for sharing the video!  I look forward to using it as a reference guide when (if? :crazy:) TDOT posts the Lamar Corridor study it will be presenting (with Cambridge Systematics) to the Memphis MPO in the near future.

Bryant5493

^^

You're welcome. Thanks for watching it. I've always wondered what U.S. 78 in Memphis looked like, so I felt since I was up that way, why not film it. Seems like a lot of trucks use this route; an upgrade would be great, from a safety standpoint.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

TNroadwarrior

From the Tennessean, 3/31/11:

Work is underway on the new state-funded State Route 109 bridge that spans the Cumberland River between Sumner and Wilson counties.
The site is being graded and cleared while workers prepare the foundation for the columns of the bridge. Officials are still finalizing the right-of-way acquisition process, which has affected how much clearing can be done right now, according to information supplied to the City of Gallatin from the Tennessee Department of Transportation.
Traffic will not be affected until the first two lanes of the new bridge are completed, which is expected sometime in the second year of construction in 2012. Vehicles will be shifted to the new bridge while the rest of the work is completed, and the old bridge will be demolished.
District 44 State Rep. Mike McDonald (D-Portland) has been involved with the entire 109-corridor project since its inception.
"I've had constituents for years complain how narrow and unsafe the old bridge is,"  he said in a phone interview Wednesday. "A lot of people are almost afraid to go over it."
The bridge is just one component of a major update to State Route 109, which is being expanded to a four-lane highway stretching from Interstate 65 just south of the state line to Interstate 40 in Wilson County. The finished bridge will also handle four lanes of traffic, with a fifth emergency lane in the middle.
The bridge was put out for bid in October 2010, and the $29.5 million contract was awarded to Mt. Juliet-based Mountain States Contractors, LLC. The estimated completion date is Oct. 31, 2013.
McDonald said when the project is completed it will be "a bridge that will last for generations."
The official start date of the project was Jan. 12.

Grzrd

TDOT and the Governor released Tennessee's three-year multi-modal TIP today:

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/Chief_Engineer/docs/2012-2014_Program.pdf

mightyace

^^^

It looks like TN 840 is on schedule for a 2012 completion. (pg 11)

But, why is the Chattanooga Incline Railway getting state money?  I thought it was a private endeavor. (pg 14)

Other interesting, bus rapid transit for Sevierville? (pg 15)

codyg1985

Looks like I-269 will be built from the TN/MS state line to TN 385 to concur with the construction in MS from MS 302 to the TN/MS State Line.

I'm sad that there are no plans to widen I-24 in or west of Chattanooga. Curiously, US 27 (I-124, as they still call it) is planned for widening in Chattanooga, including the Tennessee River bridge, which has already been widened once.
Cody Goodman

mightyace

^^^

Now, granted, I don't go through Chattanooga THAT often, but I've never seen a problem with the traffic on I-24 in or west of Chattanooga.

Does it get congested as rush hour?

codyg1985

Quote from: mightyace on May 19, 2011, 03:28:01 AM
^^^

Now, granted, I don't go through Chattanooga THAT often, but I've never seen a problem with the traffic on I-24 in or west of Chattanooga.

It is the high volume of truck traffic that uses that road, coupled with the fact that I-24 funnels a lot of traffic to and from the midwest towards Atlanta and Florida as well as traffic to and from Birmingham, Knoxville, and points northeastward. I have seen a traffic jam there that stretched from the top of the mountain (I forget what it's called) west all the way to the Georgia state line.
Cody Goodman

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: mightyace on May 19, 2011, 03:28:01 AM
^^^

Yes, very.  If you've never run into congestion on I - 24 in Chattanooga, you must have gone through at night, like between 10 pm and 5 am.

The Chicago - Atlanta and Detroit - Atlanta truck routes are two of the busiest, and they converge in Chattanooga.  I - 24's number of lanes is inadequate from exit 81 in Murfreesboro to exit 185 in Chattanooga save for the few miles on the eastern side of Monteagle.  Either the road needs to be widened to 6 lanes or two new interstates need to be built, one as a beltway around Chattanooga on the south, east, and north sides, and one from Hwy 27 in Soddy - Daisy, TN to I - 65 in Cave City, KY through Cookeville, TN, the Soddy - Daisy - Cookeville section being an upgrade of Hwy 111.  In addition, I would support I - 75 from I - 24 in Chattanooga to Chastain Rd in Kennesaw being widened to 8 lanes, Chastain Rd to I - 575 to 10, and I - 575 to Delk Rd in Marietta to 12 lanes.

NE2

Don't forget the I-81 corridor, also feeding through Knoxville into Chattanooga. The parallel railroads have been working on improvements to allow double stack container trains, taking some of the trucks off the highways.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Daniel Fiddler

Indeed.  Chattanooga was ranked #1 in the nation of most trucks per lane mile, and it's not difficult to see why.

froggie

QuoteI - 24's number of lanes is inadequate from exit 81 in Murfreesboro to exit 185 in Chattanooga save for the few miles on the eastern side of Monteagle.

Not true...it's adequate between Murfreesboro and I-59.  At I-59 is where you have justification to widen I-24 east into Chattanooga.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.