San Antonio to Memphis, July 2016

Started by kinupanda, July 04, 2016, 06:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinupanda

As I had mentioned in the planned trips thread, my summer road trip this year, which I'll be taking later this week, will be to Memphis. Note that this is also going to be a county-collecting trip, which explains some of the not-so-efficient routes.

I'll be leaving San Antonio as early as possible Thursday morning. I plan on taking I-10 about halfway to Houston, likely Flatonia. I'd then cut northeast through Huntsville, Henderson, and Marshall before jumping on US 59 to Texarkana. I'll head into Arkansas on US 82 and then take US 79 through Pine Bluff and Marianna before hitting I-40. The tentative route for the trip there is here. (The waypoints are arbitrary, to force the route to go through the counties I want to pick up, and not indicative of points of interest.)

I'll be spending all of Friday and Saturday in the greater Memphis area. I plan on taking about half of one of those days to spend some time in northern Mississippi as well. I have a few activities planned, but nothing on a particularly tight schedule. I have a friend who may join me for some or all of that time.

I'll likely start heading back home early Sunday. Once I pass Little Rock, I plan on driving through Hot Springs (possibly stopping at the park) and cutting into the northeastern corner of Texas, possibly via the southeastern corner of Oklahoma. I'll likely stop in Dallas to see a friend before returning to San Antonio Monday morning. I'm still planning that route, but will post it here when I finalize it.

As is evident, I'm avoiding the Interstates for the most part, but if there's a route that's part of my current plan which I should actually avoid, that would certainly be good to know. Any suggestions on sights to see along the way or at my destination, both from a general-interest perspective and a roadgeek perspective, are appreciated as well, as I would like to plan stops for food, gas, etc., accordingly. And, speaking of food, seeing as how I'll be in Memphis, BBQ recommendations are definitely welcome (along with other food recommendations as well).

US 81

You will probably be in La Grange too early for lunch but I've got to recommend the barbeque from the Prause Meat Market. (Maybe it's worth a mid-morning stop to pick some up 'to go'?)  If it weren't so close to home for you, I'd recommend a stop at the Palmetto St Park near La Grange, lots of history, CCC architecture, unique foliage, but for this trip I would imagine it's too close to home to be worth a stop. You'll be near the Caddo Mounds (Alto, just south of Rusk) if Native history interests you.

Deciding how to come back, if you're headed to Hot Springs, consider coming due west from there to pick up AR 88/OK 1 Talimena Skyline, then south on US 259 thru Hochatown, Broken Bow and Idabel; so scenic. But I doubt you could really go wrong in the Ouachitas.

Some roadgeeking possibilities in Dallas, but traffic & construction - grrrrr.

Collect those counties and have an awesome trip!

Max Rockatansky

I've always enjoyed the Oxbow Lakes where the Mississippi used to flow through.  I stopped through Arkansas City a couple years back, pretty nostalgic little town near the river with a historic district if you are looking for a more back country route.

coatimundi

Quote from: kinupanda on July 04, 2016, 06:04:59 PM
I plan on driving through Hot Springs (possibly stopping at the park)

The park is pretty much the town and the town is pretty much the park. It doesn't take too long to see, and it's a cool experience. Bring a large glass container (like a beer growler), and you can fill it up with the spring water for free from a tap on the sidewalk near the visitors center.

Any suggestions on sights to see along the way or at my destination, both from a general-interest perspective and a roadgeek perspective

You'll be crossing Interstate 49. The section through Arkansas is one of (maybe the) the newest pieces of interstate in the country.

Memphis, BBQ recommendations are definitely welcome (along with other food recommendations as well).

Central BBQ is excellent. I grew up on Texas BBQ, and don't think it's as good, but I can appreciate the style.
Memphis does Southern and soul food extremely well. Last time I was there, the food at Soul Fish was great, and Cooper-Young is a good neighborhood to check out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.