News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The actual Worst of Road Signs

Started by Alex, October 09, 2020, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1 on June 26, 2021, 09:35:59 AM
That goes in the erroneous thread.

Quote from: roadfro on June 26, 2021, 10:13:15 PM
^^ Or, more fittingly, the signs with design errors thread

Ah, here we go again...

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 27, 2021, 12:03:19 AM

Ah, here we go again...

Do you guys think it would be funnier if someone were to merge all the sucky-sign threads into one big one, or if all of the posts complaining about posts going in the wrong thread got moved without context to a "Complaints about sign photos in the wrong thread" thread? Asking for a friend.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

The photo should be moved (as long as the complaint is accurate), and the complaint should be deleted once the move is done.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on June 28, 2021, 06:00:05 AM
The photo should be moved (as long as the complaint is accurate), and the complaint should be deleted once the move is done.

I'm not doing that because all of these complaints are entirely subjective, so then I'd just get complaints from people wanting it moved back.

It'd be a lot better if people would just stop fucking trying to gatekeep the thread.

LilianaUwU

I'm not certain if this would fit in the actual worst, but I'll let y'all be the judge.

(original size)

The font is off on all signs, the "NORD" is off-center and has an unnecessary green border around it.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Not only that, it's not even the same wrong font.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 28, 2021, 06:52:15 PM
I'm not certain if this would fit in the actual worst, but I'll let y'all be the judge.

(original size)

The font is off on all signs, the "NORD" is off-center and has an unnecessary green border around it.

That's pretty bad...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 28, 2021, 07:12:28 PM
Not only that, it's not even the same wrong font.

That's what I thought too. How do you choose two fonts and fail to use the right one twice?
—Mr. Thwomp

Billy F 1988

(original size)

Uhhhh, who paid these lads to post these signs? That 369 looks kind of Bannschrift-ish. The NORD, on the other hand, is kinda self explanatory.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on June 28, 2021, 08:23:43 PM

(original size)

Uhhhh, who paid these lads to post these signs? That 369 looks kind of Bannschrift-ish. The NORD, on the other hand, is kinda self explanatory.

That's definitely a Ville de Québec install. I don't dislike the 369 shield, personally, but the assembly as a whole is definitely the result of binge drinking at the sign shop.
—Mr. Thwomp

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 27, 2021, 11:24:56 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 27, 2021, 12:03:19 AM

Ah, here we go again...

Do you guys think it would be funnier if someone were to merge all the sucky-sign threads into one big one, or if all of the posts complaining about posts going in the wrong thread got moved without context to a "Complaints about sign photos in the wrong thread" thread? Asking for a friend.

To be honest, that's probably the genius of the Good, Bad, and Ugly thread. Everything fits there one way or the other.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 30, 2021, 12:55:46 AM
I could count the flaws on this sign on more than one hand. Another Oklahoma special:

(Street View)

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 30, 2021, 04:42:06 PM
I could count the flaws on this sign on more than one hand. Another Oklahoma special:

(Street View)

Oklahoma does have a knack for creating some of the worst signs I've ever seen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Brandon on July 03, 2021, 11:46:21 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 30, 2021, 04:42:06 PM

(Street View)

Oklahoma does have a knack for creating some of the worst signs I've ever seen.

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot... and I didn't have to search extensively: I was reading an old thread and clicked on a random street view. I was curious at how the toll booths looked like and found this. There are others at other boots, by the way.
—Mr. Thwomp

CoreySamson

I don't know how this sign got past TxDot quality control:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.0374459,-96.7045866,3a,15y,56.83h,116.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTtHt_B0fN2RSqna3mqBspQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Not only is the font size different on the 7 and 5, but it's also different on the extraneous U and S! Not to mention there's a lot of kerning issues plus the font isn't right (plus is the "north" Clearview?). Truly an ugly sign. And strangely enough, the westbound sign looks fine.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Big John

Brian556

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 11, 2021, 08:24:54 PM
I don't know how this sign got past TxDot quality control:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.0374459,-96.7045866,3a,15y,56.83h,116.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTtHt_B0fN2RSqna3mqBspQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Not only is the font size different on the 7 and 5, but it's also different on the extraneous U and S! Not to mention there's a lot of kerning issues plus the font isn't right (plus is the "north" Clearview?). Truly an ugly sign. And strangely enough, the westbound sign looks fine.

That one has to be a City of Plano sign. They cant even make standard regulatory signs look right

1995hoo

You'll find this immediately north of the border at the exit from the duty-free shop where Autoroute 15 becomes I-87. (The border is where the fence is.) It's unclear who commissioned this sign. Quebec usually has pretty good Interstate shields on their BGSs, which makes me think this sign was commissioned by whoever runs the duty-free. If that's the case, maybe they get a pass.

https://goo.gl/maps/VNjQQkPq2iJmBKuN9
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bcroadguy

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bcroadguy

That was my first thought also, but nope. If you go down both streets you'll see other signs with spaces.

Scott5114

That's also Frutiger and not a real road sign font.

plain

Quote from: bcroadguy on July 24, 2021, 04:15:55 AM
Spaces? Who needs them.

Hell just be glad NCDOT actually used decent sized blades there. Because a lot of theirs... NO (if they even bother to install some at all).
Newark born, Richmond bred

kphoger

New Mexico is easy pickins...

https://goo.gl/maps/Mvmhc7n34CZNbUSj9

1.  Uneven posts.
2.  3/4 error.
3.  Arrow slapped on wherever it fit.
4.  Who needs a route shield and plaque, when all text on a green sign will do?

Anything else I'm missing?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.