What Do Locals Call Your Part Of The State???

Started by thenetwork, August 27, 2017, 10:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooky

The coastal towns south of Boston towards Cape Cod are commonly called the South Shore. This name is sometimes also used to describe some of the landlocked towns immediately west of the shore towns.

It is also colloquially known as the Irish Riviera because of the high percentage of Irish heritage. A lot of the Irish folks who lived in Boston would vacation on the South Shore and eventually migrated south.

https://www.irishcentral.com/homepage/the-most-irish-town-in-america-is-named-133427563-237789381

TheHighwayMan3561

From Duluth, MN northeast, the strip of Lake Superior to the border is the North Shore or just the Shore. Geographically the North Shore stretches back around to SSM, but American definitions usually stop at the border. Similarly the strip from Superior east is called the South Shore in Wisconsin, which also I'm not sure if Michiganders use this term.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 25, 2018, 02:52:33 PM
From Duluth, MN northeast, the strip of Lake Superior to the border is the North Shore or just the Shore. Geographically the North Shore stretches back around to SSM, but American definitions usually stop at the border. Similarly the strip from Superior east is called the South Shore in Wisconsin, which also I'm not sure if Michiganders use this term.

No, Yoopers really don't.  That's the Superior or North Coast (as opposed to the Michigan or South Coast).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

fillup420

Northwestern NC is often referred to as The High Country

sparker

Regarding the "Valley" (in Bay Area vernacular), more fuel has been added to the fire regarding housing affordability (or the lack thereof) in the coastal regions.  As of the first of this month, the income level required to receive housing assistance in the tri-county (San Mateo, San Francisco, Marin) area, for a family of four, is now $117.4K per year!  That now allows entry-level programmers and IT personnel to qualify for such assistance.  I'm still shaking my head......

jon daly

Quote from: JJBers on August 27, 2017, 11:11:39 PM
Hartford and Springfield, MA area
Outsiders call it Northern CT and Southeastern MA
Locals call it the Connecticut River Valley

Do locals call the Mass. portion The Pioneer Valley? I seem to recall Rock 102 (WAQY) referring to it as such.

froggie

^ Yes.  We have a few students up here from that area who refer to it as such (Pioneer Valley).

jon daly

I grew up east of Hartford during the 80s and some folks called that area East of the River. But I can't recall if it was the snobs from the 'burbs west of Hartford like Avon or Simsbury who used it derisively or if it was used by proud residents of towns such as East Hartford, Glastonbury, & Manchester.

bing101

Quote from: sparker on June 26, 2018, 02:50:14 AM
Regarding the "Valley" (in Bay Area vernacular), more fuel has been added to the fire regarding housing affordability (or the lack thereof) in the coastal regions.  As of the first of this month, the income level required to receive housing assistance in the tri-county (San Mateo, San Francisco, Marin) area, for a family of four, is now $117.4K per year!  That now allows entry-level programmers and IT personnel to qualify for such assistance.  I'm still shaking my head......

Yes I heard of the saying that a crackhouse cost a million dollars in San Jose and that is no bad joke and its true sadly.

But back to the point of the thread.

"The Metro" that is what Locals of Manila,Philippines refer to Areas referring to  Manila and Suburbs but the national Philippine government refers Manila as (National Capital Region). Note Quezon City as mentioned in other threads as having more people than Manila.

But back to locals referring to their area of the state.

"Olympic Peninsula" the west side of the Puget Sound in Washington state and that has Port Angeles.

Bruce

Most locals would get it if I told them I was from around Everett, though that evokes negative imagery of the city's decline (a miniature version of the Rust Belt's blues).

For out-of-staters, I always open with being from "Seattle", as that's all they would be familiar with.

bzakharin

My office is located in EHT (it's Egg Harbor Township in contrast to Egg Harbor City) to the locals, and I mean people who live or work in Atlantic County, NJ. For other New Jerseyans (and for that matter the Philly metro area) it's "Down the shore". To anyone further away, it's Atlantic City, or just New Jersey.

ModernDayWarrior

Some nicknames for the different parts of Missouri I've lived in...

The St. Louis metro is sometimes called the Bi-State Area or just the Bi-State. The Illinois portion of it is usually called the Metro East.

The central part of the state, specifically Columbia, Boone County and neighboring counties, is called Little Dixie.

Southeastern Missouri is often shortened to SEMO, and sometimes referred to as the Bootheel, even the parts of it that aren't geographically part of the Bootheel. Lots of people also mispronounce it as "Boothill."

Not sure I've ever heard a nickname for the southwest part of the state. I guess some people call it "the 417" (referring to the area code in that part of the state).

The entire southern third of the state or so often gets lumped together as "the Ozarks," again including some places that aren't actually part of the Ozark Mountains.

I'm not familiar with any nicknames for the Kansas City metro, the northern part of the state, or other regions.

kphoger

I've skimmed through this whole thread, and I don't see any references to "Middle ________".  There have been a few "Mid-______", but not using the whole word "Middle".  I know there's such a things as Middle Tennessee, but I'm curious to know if there are any other regions in the US that are referred to in that way.

???
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ipeters61

Living in Dover: I don't think anybody has a name for it, but probably the boring "Central Delaware" or just "Kent County."  However, depending on where you consider Southern Delaware to begin (some say it's the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, I'd say it's Smyrna, with a break in the culture in Dover), it would be "Lower Slower."

I grew up "east of the (Connecticut) river" in South Windsor, Connecticut.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2018, 01:56:09 PM
I've skimmed through this whole thread, and I don't see any references to "Middle ________".  There have been a few "Mid-______", but not using the whole word "Middle".  I know there's such a things as Middle Tennessee, but I'm curious to know if there are any other regions in the US that are referred to in that way.

???

The area of Georgia centered around Macon is known as "Middle Georgia".

wriddle082

The central part of South Carolina, including Columbia and Sumter, is referred to as the Midlands, since it's between the Upstate (NW SC counties) and the Low Country (most of the southern part of the state).

Other regions of the state include:
* The CSRA (Central Savannah River Area), which includes Augusta, GA, North Augusta and Aiken, SC, and surrounding counties in both states
* The Pee Dee (Florence area)
* The Sand Hills (NW of the Pee Dee, includes Rockingham, NC area)
* The Grand Strand (Myrtle Beach area)
* Even though the counties close to Charlotte (York, Chester, Lancaster) are supposed to be part of "Metrolina" , I have never heard a local nor a news reporter refer to the Charlotte area as such.  So I guess you would just call that area Greater Charlotte.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

PAHighways

Quote from: Henry on August 28, 2017, 09:50:23 AM
*Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are part of Western PA and Eastern PA, respectively, with South added to better reflect their actual locations in the state.

The Pittsburgh area is also referred to as the tri-state area (PA, OH, WV).

Techknow

I was watching a Senate Bill 1 Spotlight video, and I noticed that the narrator mentioned "the North State" near Redding, CA. I know people say Northern California in my region, but that generally refers to all of California north of the SLO, Kern, and San Bernardino county lines. I have never heard of "the North State" until I watched the video. Googling the term didn't yield much. Does anyone know it came to be?

Here's the video, the term is at 0:38:

jbnv

Quote from: bassoon1986 on September 04, 2017, 10:45:37 PM
Here are the Louisiana ones I'm familiar with:

Shreveport/NW Louisiana - ArkLaTex
Monroe/NE Louisiana - ArkLaMiss
Alexandria area- Cenla
Lafayette area - Acadiana
Hammond/Covington/Slidell - The Northshore

I'm not sure if Northshore includes the parishes in the "toe of the boot" that border Mississippi or just the areas bordering Lake Ponchartrain. I've occasionally heard of this whole area along the I-12 corridor called the Florida Parishes, a throwback to the time when the area east of the MS River still belonged to Spanish Florida.

Let me help you with that.

The "Florida Parishes" are indeed all of the parishes that were, very briefly, part of the "West Florida Republic." The "Northshore" is basically limited to the corridor from Hammond to Slidell. Some people will refer to northern Tangipahoa or even Washington Parish as part of "the Northshore," but that's a stretch.

The New Orleans area is commonly called, appropriately, "the Southshore." New Orleans media use "Southshore" and "Northshore" to distinguish between the two halfs of the area. Within "the Southshore", you have "the Westbank" and "the Eastbank" of the Mississippi.

Depending on which definition of Acadiana you use, it's either eight parishes surrounding Lafayette, or 22 parishes making a large triangle from Lake Charles to Marksville to lower Lafourche Parish. The latter definition reflects the presence of Cajun communities in Avoyelles and Lafourche parishes.

"Cenla" is basically everything north of Acadiana and south of the Ark-La-Tex-Miss, including Natchitoches.

You also have:

* Baton Rouge calls itself "the Capital Region" or "the Capital Area."

* "The River Parishes": St. James, St. John and St. Charles parishes.

* "Down the bayou": Everything south of Houma and Thibodaux.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

skluth

Just discovered this thread. I've lived a few places, so I will address each area separately.

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2017, 07:26:13 AM
Quote from: Thing 342 on August 28, 2017, 11:57:02 PM
Locals usually call the Newport News / Norfolk / VA Beach / et al area by the name of Hampton Roads, or occasionally the Tidewater if they're a bit older. Anyone referring to it as SE Virginia is likely to be from out-of-state.

Historically, the term "Tidewater" was broader than that and referred to one of three general geographic portions of Virginia–Tidewater, Piedmont, and "Valley-and-Ridge" (the last of these a term you'd never hear today and I've seldom heard outside Virginia history class in school growing up!). The line between "Tidewater" and "Piedmont" was roughly, though not necessarily exactly, where the fall line is on the various rivers. Piedmont Virginia Community College in Charlottesville takes its name from the traditional region, for example.

When I lived in Portsmouth, nobody referred to anything north/west of Yorktown and Suffolk as Tidewater. I know it's geographically the Coastal Plain up to the Fall Line, but usually people just used the local county or town/city name or other major landmark (e.g., Ft Hill). Other regions I remember are the Blue Ridge, Shenandoah, Northern Virginia (approx NE of Quantico to Leesburg), and SW Virginia (anything west of Roanoke). As mentioned elsewhere, Tidewater is divided into the Peninsula north of the James River and the Southside (everything from Suffolk to Va Beach). Names both locals and textbooks used include the Delmarva (Peninsula) and the Outer Banks. I only times I ever heard people refer to the Piedmont was when referring to the I-85 corridor in NC from Charlotte to the Research Triangle area, although I am aware it refers to everything between the Fall Line/Coastal Plain and the Blue Ridge from Virginia to Georgia. 

Younger people also refer to Tidewater as the 757 after the local area code.

If I tell someone not from Virginia or Maryland where I live, I'd tell them I live in the DC area because "Northern Virginia," the name most commonly used here, wouldn't necessarily mean anything to them. When I was in college at UVA, everyone there referred to Northern Virginia as "NOVA," but if you say that here, people think of Northern Virginia Community College, most often the location on Route 236 between the Beltway and Fairfax City (when I was a kid and there was a stigma against community colleges, people called it "Turnpike Tech" or "Harvard on the Highway," the former a reference to its location on Little River Turnpike).

I've never heard anyone over the age of 30, other than some newspaper reporters trying to look what they think is trendy, refer to the area as "the DMV."

skluth

Quote from: mgk920 on August 28, 2017, 09:42:34 PM
The Appleton/Green Bay/Oshkosh, WI area, alternatively 'Northeastern Wisconsin' or the 'Fox Valley/Fox River Valley'.

TV station WFRV (Channel 5 in Green Bay) stands for 'Fox River Valley'.

The Green Bay metro area is also sometimes self-referred to as 'The Bay Area'.

Mike

Just adding to the above. I grew up in Green Bay.

The Fox Cities extend from Neenah to Kaukauna, though it also sometimes includes Oshkosh. LIke the rest of Wisconsin and Michigan, we refer to the Upper Peninsula as the U.P. Up North generally refers to anything north of WI 29 to the U.P. Door County typically means the part of Door County north of Sturgeon Bay. South of Sturgeon Bay is referred to Southern Door. The part of the Niagara Escarpment near Green Bay is called The Ledge.

skluth

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on August 02, 2018, 10:26:24 PM
Some nicknames for the different parts of Missouri I've lived in...

The St. Louis metro is sometimes called the Bi-State Area or just the Bi-State. The Illinois portion of it is usually called the Metro East.

The central part of the state, specifically Columbia, Boone County and neighboring counties, is called Little Dixie.

Southeastern Missouri is often shortened to SEMO, and sometimes referred to as the Bootheel, even the parts of it that aren't geographically part of the Bootheel. Lots of people also mispronounce it as "Boothill."

Not sure I've ever heard a nickname for the southwest part of the state. I guess some people call it "the 417" (referring to the area code in that part of the state).

The entire southern third of the state or so often gets lumped together as "the Ozarks," again including some places that aren't actually part of the Ozark Mountains.

I'm not familiar with any nicknames for the Kansas City metro, the northern part of the state, or other regions.

I also spent over 25 years in St Louis. We used both the Bi-State and Metro East terms pretty regularly. The entire area refers to Jefferson County as Jeffco. I don't think any other county was similarly shorthanded. We only refer to the actual Bootheel of Missouri as the Bootheel. It doesn't include Sikeston or Cape Girardeau (which is locally referred to as just Cape). SEMO usually was anything SE of a line through Perryville and Poplar Bluff. The Lake specifically means Lake of the Ozarks region.

skluth

Quote from: Desert Man on August 29, 2017, 01:35:46 PM
The "Southwest" (we're a desert like Phoenix and Vegas) followed by "Inland Empire" (Palm Springs area sometimes treated as a separate region) and "Southland" (esp. LA basin/the OC). We're another part of the "So Cal" (the state California) and West coast (the nation USA). And the 3 valleys of the Coachella valley: "West" - Palm Springs, Cathedral City and Desert Hot Springs, "Mid" - Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage and Indian Wells. And "East" - Indio, Coachella and La Quinta. Interestingly, Indio is the oldest, largest and county seat city (we're part of Riverside county), Palm Desert is the center, didn't really exist in the mid 20th century and wealthiest, and Palm Springs is the most famous and visited (we're the "Palm Springs, not Indio" area).

I've only heard the Inland Empire referring to the area around Riverside and San Bernardino cities. I live in Palm Springs and you have the Coachella Valley part pretty accurate. Big Bear is the entire San Bernardino Mountains area above San Bernardino and Redlands. I've also heard the weather people refer to the area around Joshua Tree and north as the Upper Desert.

bing101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.