Rush hour left turn prohibitions where there is a left turn bay

Started by mrsman, November 07, 2013, 10:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

In many cities, there are intersections where left turns are prohibited during rush hours or other busy times.  This is done primarily when allowing the left turns would block a lane of through traffic.

See this example at 6th and La Brea in Los Angeles.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=6th+and+La+Brea+Los+Angeles,+CA&hl=en&ll=34.06481,-118.344018&spn=0.006586,0.013078&sll=38.804821,-77.236966&sspn=3.171762,6.696167&t=h&hnear=S+La+Brea+Ave+%26+W+6th+St,+Los+Angeles,+Los+Angeles+County,+California+90036&z=17&layer=c&cbll=34.064946,-118.344015&panoid=MijjyATdt9zpEx7ceUBKoA&cbp=12,99.13,,0,7.01

6th is 2 lanes west and 2 lanes east.  No room for a left turn lane.  To keep traffic moving, left turns are prohibited during the rush hour.  Most rush hour left turn prohibitions fit this model.

Of course, if there were room for a left turn lane, there would be no need to restrict left turns.  Yet, here in El Segundo, CA on Sepulveda and Holly, left turns are prohibited, even though there is a left turn lane.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=El+Segundo,+CA&hl=en&ll=33.921119,-118.396364&spn=0.00469,0.006539&sll=38.804821,-77.236966&sspn=3.171762,6.696167&oq=el+s&t=h&hnear=El+Segundo,+Los+Angeles+County,+California&z=18&layer=c&cbll=33.921175,-118.396364&panoid=cMO4Np6zX9R4DdqqBCCewA&cbp=12,174.48,,0,19.34

Where else are left turns prohibited during part of the day, even though there is a special left turn lane?

roadman65

Maybe there has been accidents happening at this time of day, so officials want to prevent them.  After all this intersection is not signalized.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Kacie Jane

Could be that during peak hours, the line of left-turning traffic is too long to be contained by the torn lemme and still bleeds into the thru lanes.

In Seattle, there are a couple places with a left turn lane and no left turns during rush hour except transit. Of the top of my head, 15th Ave NE @ NE 45th St is one, but there are several.

realjd

Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 09, 2013, 04:19:03 PM
Could be that during peak hours, the line of left-turning traffic is too long to be contained by the torn lemme and still bleeds into the thru lanes.

In Seattle, there are a couple places with a left turn lane and no left turns during rush hour except transit. Of the top of my head, 15th Ave NE @ NE 45th St is one, but there are several.

That's what I was thinking. If during rush hour the queue of left turning traffic overflows the left turn bay, it can cause severe traffic problems. Better to force cars to go around the block.

UptownRoadGeek

This is done all over the New Orleans area. At a lot of the busy intersections (and a lot of minor ones) that actually do allow left turns, left and u turns are prohibited during morning and evening rush hours. It's to keep turning traffic from spilling over into the thru lanes, which happens often around here, and forcing them to continue straight and double back when the streets are congested.

codyg1985

Are there any locations at signalized intersections with a protective or permissive left turn signal where left turns are prohibited during rush hour to reduce the amount of phases of the traffic signal in order to keep traffic moving?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Brandon

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 12, 2013, 09:13:47 AM
Are there any locations at signalized intersections with a protective or permissive left turn signal where left turns are prohibited during rush hour to reduce the amount of phases of the traffic signal in order to keep traffic moving?

Yes.  There are a few in downtown Naperville, Illinois along Washington Street.

Washington & Jefferson - the box lights up to show a no left turn symbol.
Washington & Van Buren - the box is lit up on this one.
There are also parking and lane restrictions depending on the time of day.
There are even light-up signs for the parking restrictions.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

You know you bring up something very interesting about this.  I have always felt that overflow left turn lanes have been (and will always be) a problem as they cause traffic jams on the through left lane.

I think that, personally, if a lane is full then traffic should move on as it corrupts the through movement.  However, you cannot do it as its not only cruel, but how would you enforce it as well.  On Orange Avenue at St. Landstreet in Taft, FL heading SB on Orange there is a sign that prohibits right turns onto WB Landstreet when CSX has a freight train (or Amtrak) on the parallel rail line because of the back up that wraps around the corner onto the right lane of Orange.  Yet, many cars ignored the "NO RIGHT TURN" light that turns on with the crossing gates and causing SB Orange to have to weave.  They did improve it some with a 100 feet right turn only lane, but during those years they could not enforce that prohibition. 

Sheryl Crowe

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2013, 09:52:50 AM
but how would you enforce it as well.

A camera..
Sign it, monitor it, send out citations for disregarding traffic control devices...

Kacie Jane

If there's room, just have a cop stand in the median with his ticket machine.  Not sure of the enforcement method, but they actually had done a couple of stings on this on SR 539 near the mall just north of I-5 in Bellingham.  (They've since begun a multi-stage construction project... Phase 1 was to put in a barrier to eliminate several of the left turns in question.)

roadman65

Easier said then done.  It would be nice, though, if cops can just have a machine that constantly printed tickets.  Heck, on I-Drive in Orlando you have many tourists who cannot drive if their lives depend on it and do stupid stuff and they will not do it even if they can collect fines that would pay their own salary for being there.

Do not forget either, we can have cops at intersections where traffic light jumpers frequent at, yet we choose to have cameras instead!  A cop standing there would be more better as he can make a better judgement call than a dumb camera can, plus some company is not making a profit off of people's bad driving habits either.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 07, 2013, 11:32:34 PM
Maybe there has been accidents happening at this time of day, so officials want to prevent them.  After all this intersection is not signalized.
My observations are that "time of day" turn restrictions in Massachusetts are rare at signalized locations (with or without dedicated turn lanes), but can be fairly common in some communities at unsignalized intersections near signalized ones.  The usual intent of the restriction is to minimize cut through traffic during peak hours, and is normally driven by Warrant # 15 (Politics).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Duke87

There are a couple cases of this on 4th Ave in Brooklyn. The left turn bays in question are small, only enough to hold a couple cars at a time. Such as this one:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.652983,-74.005902&spn=0.001115,0.001931&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.653054,-74.005832&panoid=4vHZYbcRlM-YBWMAnVQZ1Q&cbp=12,197.95,,0,9.97

It's a bit different, though in that it's an "all weekday" prohibition (7AM-7PM M-F), and trucks and buses are exempted.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

KEK Inc.

If I had a nickel for everytime that's violated, I can pay tuition with that money.
Take the road less traveled.

mrsman

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2013, 09:52:50 AM

I think that, personally, if a lane is full then traffic should move on as it corrupts the through movement.  However, you cannot do it as its not only cruel, but how would you enforce it as well.  On Orange Avenue at St. Landstreet in Taft, FL heading SB on Orange there is a sign that prohibits right turns onto WB Landstreet when CSX has a freight train (or Amtrak) on the parallel rail line because of the back up that wraps around the corner onto the right lane of Orange.  Yet, many cars ignored the "NO RIGHT TURN" light that turns on with the crossing gates and causing SB Orange to have to weave.  They did improve it some with a 100 feet right turn only lane, but during those years they could not enforce that prohibition.

I looked at that intersection on Google Street View and it appears that there is a right turn only lane.  I've seen other similar intersections near railroad crossings and the general rule. I believe, is that you can sit and wait in the right turn lane while the train is crossing, and then you can complete your turn when the train passes through and the "NO RIGHT TURN" light turns off.

Of course, I usually see that set up next to light rail lines where the trains pass through pretty quick. not a heavy freight crossing that could block the intersection for multiple minutes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.