News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mini Signs

Started by Brandon, November 17, 2013, 07:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

No, not Mini-Me, but close.  How common are these smaller versions of signs on the road?  These are in the median (if you can call it that) of Kirk Road in Kane County, and the signs are maybe 1/3rd the size of the standard ones.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

txstateends

I'm surprised anyone notices those, if they go by them at even a moderate speed.

I've seen some tiny speed limit signs (on reeeaaly short posts) in a county east of Dallas, should have snapped a couple with my camera, oh well, maybe next time.  Oh, and for those not into wrong fonts--they're also arial (or helvetica)!
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Big John

MUTCD tells you the minimum allowable size for that type of road, and these are too small for that.  I am thinking that with the narrow median, the compliant signs were getting ht and damaged.

Mr. Matté

Those little spotches on the right-hand side? That's the County Route number. At least in the former instance, there is a "JCT CR 579" sign beforehand.

Brian556

Dallas very frequently uses 18x18 DO NOT ENTER signs, even where space is not limited.
Crossroads installed 12x18 speed limit signs on Naylor Rd in the mid-2000's.

KEK Inc.

I need the Hubble Telescope to see those country route shields. 
Take the road less traveled.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PurdueBill

The MUTCD does have a narrow Keep Right sign (R4-7c) for median applications like this, but it looks like instead of that, a normally-proportioned but too-small sign was used.

Zeffy

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 17, 2013, 06:46:15 PM
<images removed>

Those little spotches on the right-hand side? That's the County Route number. At least in the former instance, there is a "JCT CR 579" sign beforehand.

This seems to be a Mercer County thing, since this is how they are supposed to look:

http://goo.gl/maps/ec44h
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Zeffy on November 18, 2013, 01:20:09 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 17, 2013, 06:46:15 PM
<images removed>

This seems to be a Mercer County thing, since this is how they are supposed to look:

http://goo.gl/maps/ec44h

Well, no, Somerset uses Clearview. This is a good installation.

Zeffy

Well, no. Somerset County doesn't always use Clearview. Here's some non Clearview examples:

http://goo.gl/maps/wVvIc
http://goo.gl/maps/TpQy5
http://goo.gl/maps/tkEJK

And here's another mini County Route shield on the intersection with US 206: http://goo.gl/maps/1oT1O

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

formulanone

Peoria, IL:

Also, some of the US 30 shields on top of the mile markers near Cedar Rapids, IA are vaguely bigger than postage stamps.

US71

There's a small US 56 near Kansas City that's about the size of a No Parking sign.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Lots of smaller route markers are used in the northwestern part of Virginia (from the Covington area stretching north toward Strasburg).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

At least in north Louisiana, the DOTD is starting to replace their control city directional/mileage signs & the recreational direction signs with signs so small, you strain your eyes trying to read them.  :wow:    :banghead:  The older signs they replace usually required 2 sign posts, where the new ones only need 1.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Billy F 1988

Just passed a mini I-90 assembly today going near Exit 104 at Orange Street. I took a quick glance at it and went "What the hell? :?" I don't know who put that there, but technically, for this kind of roadway, you're supposed to place a 36x36 expressway type of Interstate shield, not 18x18. That is for a rural or side arterial setting.

Here is "mini I-90" coming from the Orange Street on-ramp to westbound I-90.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Zeffy

Another one dealing with Bear Tavern Road near the ramps to I-95:

http://goo.gl/maps/rH8JI

JMoses24

Some smaller versions of stop and yield signs have been placed along Industrial Road in Florence, KY. I'll grab some snapshots tomorrow.

SSOWorld

This is likely a product of Fontana and not CalTrans.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2013, 03:10:26 PM
Lots of smaller route markers are used in the northwestern part of Virginia (from the Covington area stretching north toward Strasburg).

Here are some examples. In a couple of them, you can see the standard 24 x 24 sign for comparison purposes:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Quote from: hbelkins on December 02, 2013, 11:06:18 AM

Are those Series B numerals being used in those US shields?

Tarkus

Speed limit signs in Annapolis, MD.  Holy crap, are those things tiny.  And they have "school zones" with photo enforcement everywhere.  It's like they don't want you to know what the speed limit is, so you'll cough up some cash.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on December 02, 2013, 11:06:18 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2013, 03:10:26 PM

Here are some examples. In a couple of them, you can see the standard 24 x 24 sign for comparison purposes:

The mini signs are also scattered around other areas of Virginia, mostly rural ones, but they do sometimes appear in other areas, such as school entrances like this one in Stafford County:
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Scott5114

Quote from: Tarkus on December 05, 2013, 01:59:52 AM
Speed limit signs in Annapolis, MD.  Holy crap, are those things tiny.  And they have "school zones" with photo enforcement everywhere.  It's like they don't want you to know what the speed limit is, so you'll cough up some cash.

If you get a ticket, you might be able to get it tossed out for MUTCD non-compliance.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 08, 2013, 02:38:53 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on December 05, 2013, 01:59:52 AM

If you get a ticket, you might be able to get it tossed out for MUTCD non-compliance.

I doubt a municipal judge would care about that whole MUTCD thingimajigger, especially if the defendant doesn't have a LOT of technical proof regrading the proper signage for that street based on the speed limit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.