News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 17, 2021, 10:22:59 AM
Huh? I can disable labels on Satellite view, and has always been that way.

Yeah, but is your selection retained? Or do you have to disable the labels each and every time you enter satellite view?

STLmapboy

Wish they'd take the GSV cars for another comprehensive whirl again. Most US places have imagery from 2019, it seems like. Newest I can find is November 2020. If anyone has anything newer, please link it.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 18, 2021, 11:35:52 AM
Wish they'd take the GSV cars for another comprehensive whirl again. Most US places have imagery from 2019, it seems like. Newest I can find is November 2020. If anyone has anything newer, please link it.
Probably the pandemic slowing things down.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

stevashe

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 18, 2021, 11:41:01 AM

That, and they never post streetview images right away, at least in my experience. I remember seeing a streetview car go by in October a few years ago but having to wait until the spring to see the images featuring my car be posted.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: stevashe on June 18, 2021, 11:54:18 AM

That, and they never post streetview images right away, at least in my experience. I remember seeing a streetview car go by in October a few years ago but having to wait until the spring to see the images featuring my car be posted.
It seems like they did a big dump last fall and a big dump 2 falls ago, we will probably get another one later this year.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Parts of the Bay Area have May 2021 imagery. But then Google is headquartered in the area, so go figure.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on June 18, 2021, 03:02:33 PM

Parts of the Bay Area have May 2021 imagery. But then Google is headquartered in the area, so go figure.
Good. I'm always worried that google will stop updating street view.

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 01:14:39 PM
A more real complaint but I wish google would upgrade their imagery on very rural roads like US 50 and US 6 in Nevada.

For the two tourists planning vacations and the 17 road geeks planning interstates there that click on them every year?

SkyPesos

Google lists the states and counties they're visiting for StreetView tours on their site (scroll down a bit to see the list).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on June 19, 2021, 06:46:40 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 01:14:39 PM
A more real complaint but I wish google would upgrade their imagery on very rural roads like US 50 and US 6 in Nevada.

For the two tourists planning vacations and the 17 road geeks planning interstates there that click on them every year?
Many people know that US 50 is the loneliest road in America and might want to see what it's like. Also it's nice to have all roads have at least 1 high definition image.

Scott5114

They don't have any imagery for my section of my neighborhood. And it's not a new neighborhood; it was built in 1976. Google just hasn't ever bothered to drive around here.

Their satellite imagery of downtown Oklahoma City is woefully out-of-date too. OKC built a major park and a brand new convention center and it's all just bare dirt on satellite view. At least it shows up on Street View being close enough to completion that it's recognizable.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 20, 2021, 02:33:13 AM

They don't have any imagery for my section of my neighborhood. And it's not a new neighborhood; it was built in 1976. Google just hasn't ever bothered to drive around here.

Their satellite imagery of downtown Oklahoma City is woefully out-of-date too. OKC built a major park and a brand new convention center and it's all just bare dirt on satellite view. At least it shows up on Street View being close enough to completion that it's recognizable.
My town is very well covered, with all roads having good quality imagery. But some towns are poorly covered.

bm7

I've noticed now that Google Maps has 'private' roads, like driveways and gated communities, marked in a dark grey color. Annoyingly however, you now can't access street view for any of those private roads where it was available before. And to make things worse, there are a lot of roads that are incorrectly marked as private.

jamess

Quote from: bm7 on June 27, 2021, 08:32:41 PM
I've noticed now that Google Maps has 'private' roads, like driveways and gated communities, marked in a dark grey color. Annoyingly however, you now can't access street view for any of those private roads where it was available before. And to make things worse, there are a lot of roads that are incorrectly marked as private.

Yeah my mom lives in a gated community and they had streetview before. Now its gone.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jamess on June 29, 2021, 02:42:12 PM
Quote from: bm7 on June 27, 2021, 08:32:41 PM

Yeah my mom lives in a gated community and they had streetview before. Now its gone.
Stupid privacy

jakeroot

I checked a bunch of gated communities in suburban Tacoma: no street view.

But I don't remember checking if they had them before, so... IDK.

I don't remember that dark grey color before, and it seems to match one-to-one with "private roads", and I can't find a single stretch that has street view imagery.

LilianaUwU

Why is Google redoing the Street View in big cities every single year when some places with no coverage (or 2007 imagery) deserves it more?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 29, 2021, 06:23:17 PM
Why is Google redoing the Street View in big cities every single year when some places with no coverage (or 2007 imagery) deserves it more?
I've been asking this very question for a while now.

LilianaUwU

With that said, one of the baffling omissions in my province is Route 132 between route 287 and Route de Kamouraska.
—Mr. Thwomp

CtrlAltDel

Given that it's Google, the answer somehow is advertising. So, my guess is that they update more frequently in areas with more businesses.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

LilianaUwU

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 29, 2021, 07:08:42 PM

Given that it's Google, the answer somehow is advertising. So, my guess is that they update more frequently in areas with more businesses.

brb becoming a business magnate in the middle of nowhere
—Mr. Thwomp

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 29, 2021, 06:34:16 PM
With that said, one of the baffling omissions in my province is Route 132 between route 287 and Route de Kamouraska.

Major highways in NY that need coverage:
* Almost all of NY-7B
* NY-7 from I-88 exit 4 to Belden
* US-11 from Beers Rd just north of Glen Castle to I-81 exit 7, from around Itaska to Whitney Point, a few miles north of Messengerville, and near Sandfordville
* NY-26 from Whitney Point to Upper Lisle
* NY-34 from Reniff Rd to Van Etten, and from Spencer to Newfield Depot Rd / CR 130
* NY-34B from King Ferry to Fleming
* NY-41 from Greene to Smithville Flats, and a few miles north of Willet
* NY-41A from NY-359 to Hencoop Rd
* NY-52 around Lake Huntington
* NY-79 from NY-227 to Applegate Corner, and from Whitney Point to Chenango Forks
* NY-90 from King Ferry to Genoa
* NY-146 west of Nash Rd
* All of NY-235
* All of NY-421 (TBF it's like the remotest state route in NY)
* NY-430 north of Titus Rd
* NY-443 west of Drebitko Rd and Cook Rd
* NY-990V east of Prattsville Rd / CR 39 (TBF it's just a reference route undergoing an identity crisis)
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

jamess

Quote from: jakeroot on June 29, 2021, 03:07:12 PM

I don't remember that dark grey color before, and it seems to match one-to-one with "private roads", and I can't find a single stretch that has street view imagery.

My understanding was if the vehicle could get in, they would. The first round of streetview images by my moms was when the second phase was under construction, so the gates were open from 8-4 every day. The second round was probably when the gate was open because someone else had come in.

That is, while the arterial had an update every year or two, the gated community had two passes in 10 years. But now those are completely gone.

jakeroot

Quote from: jamess on June 30, 2021, 07:57:11 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 29, 2021, 03:07:12 PM

My understanding was if the vehicle could get in, they would. The first round of streetview images by my moms was when the second phase was under construction, so the gates were open from 8-4 every day. The second round was probably when the gate was open because someone else had come in.

That is, while the arterial had an update every year or two, the gated community had two passes in 10 years. But now those are completely gone.

Some of the gated communities I checked had open gates when the street view vehicle went by, but there is no imagery within the gates. I would have assumed that, at least from time to time, the GSV vehicle would have entered the communities, but there is no evidence of that. At least now.

mgk920

They recently (up?)graded their desktop site to change how you can toggle between 'labels = 'ON'' and 'labels = 'OFF'' in their satellite images.  Not really an upgrade in that it is still the same number of clicks to do it (it should be one).

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.