News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Quote from 1995hoo:
QuoteBack in the mid-1990s I got very tired of all radio stations that call themselves "Mix" yet played only three or four songs ("Only Wanna Be with You" by Hootie and the Blowfish, "Every Day Is a Winding Road" by Sheryl Crow, and one or two songs by Dave Matthews)

Funny you should mention Hootie & The Blowfish. I can't stand them. The lead singer, Darius Rucker, has a awful voice.
Most of the other songs I can't stand are also from the 90's. "Run Around" by Blues Traveler, and "You Gotta Be" by Desiree are a couple of others, along with anything by Sarah MacLauchlan. Basically, the 90's sucked.

Currently, the song by Fun, "tonight, we are young" or whatever the F it's called, drives me crazy.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Thing 342

I dislike country in general, but anything released after 1996 really gets on my nerves. U2's new album also blows.

DaBigE

Anything and everything by Rush. Their voices sound to me like fingernails on a chalkboard do for others.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

realjd

Quote from: ET21 on October 05, 2014, 02:50:46 PM
Let It Go from Frozen...

Yes I get it, it was a great animated movie. Stop playing the song on every radio station 5 times an hour  :banghead:

You listen to the wrong radio stations. I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio.

realjd

Quote from: Brian556 on October 05, 2014, 06:29:19 PM
Quote from 1995hoo:
QuoteBack in the mid-1990s I got very tired of all radio stations that call themselves "Mix" yet played only three or four songs ("Only Wanna Be with You" by Hootie and the Blowfish, "Every Day Is a Winding Road" by Sheryl Crow, and one or two songs by Dave Matthews)

Funny you should mention Hootie & The Blowfish. I can't stand them. The lead singer, Darius Rucker, has a awful voice.
Most of the other songs I can't stand are also from the 90's. "Run Around" by Blues Traveler, and "You Gotta Be" by Desiree are a couple of others, along with anything by Sarah MacLauchlan. Basically, the 90's sucked.

Currently, the song by Fun, "tonight, we are young" or whatever the F it's called, drives me crazy.

He has his moments:

Laura

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 05, 2014, 10:20:39 AM

Quote from: Laura on October 05, 2014, 09:26:03 AM
Pretty much everything by John Cougar Mellencamp. I have to be in just the right mood to tolerate his music, and those moods are very, very rare.

I think you're mistaken.  These works of art take an ordinary, simple sentence, and–through the use of years of songwriting expertise, ingenuity, and craftsmanship–repeat it three times, turning it into a rallying cry that plucks every heartstring:

Your life is now,
Your life is now,
Your life is now.

It's just another day,
It's just another day,
It's just another day.

This is our country,
This is our country,
This is our country.

Really gets you right here [pointing vaguely around the sternum].  If that's not musical genius, they may as well abolish the term.

LOLLLLLLLL

The only time this works without being obnoxious is with Crumblin' Down:

When the walls come tumblin' down
When the walls come crumblin' crumblin'
When the walls come tumblin' tumblin' down

billtm

Blah blah blah blah beautiful - One Direction
Katy Perry's new album
Lil' Wayne
Justin Bieber
Half of the EDM in this world
Dubstep
...just to name a few.

Pete from Boston

In what environment are you people subjected repeatedly to so much awful music?  The last job I had where I was pummeled by bad music was in retail 20 years ago.  I don't live with someone with lousy taste in music, and as far as the radio, it's 2014 and there's no one to blame but me for what I subject myself to, since nearly every station in the world is available on the device from which I'm sending this message. 

Laura

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 05, 2014, 10:15:55 PM
In what environment are you people subjected repeatedly to so much awful music?  The last job I had where I was pummeled by bad music was in retail 20 years ago.  I don't live with someone with lousy taste in music, and as far as the radio, it's 2014 and there's no one to blame but me for what I subject myself to, since nearly every station in the world is available on the device from which I'm sending this message. 

Music is everywhere. I went on a "music fast" during Lent in 2013 and it was easier than I expected because music is played almost everywhere. (My rule was that I could not turn on the music myself unless it was christian religious, but if someone else did, i said nothing and subjected myself to whatever they listened to.) It was a fascinating social experiment because seriously, music is everywhere.

For instance, almost every store plays music. There's at least one coworker who plays music without headphones at her desk, one person on the bus without headphones. It's in many commercials on TV. Whenever I rode in a car with someone, they automatically turned on the radio. Even in conversations with certain people we are quoting song lyrics. Hell, so many of my friends with kids complain on facebook that their second grader came home singing Nicki Minaj (or whoever is the hot artist of the week) because they played it in the background during gym class.

Music is everywhere, including bad music.

national highway 1

Talk Dirty-Jason Derulo
Wiggle-Jason Derulo
Fancy-Iggy Azalea
Anaconda-Nicki Minaj
Wasted-Tiesto
Boom Clap-Charli XCX
Shake It Off-Taylor Swift
This IS How We Do-Katy Perry
All About That Bass-Meghan Trainor
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Laura

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 06, 2014, 02:01:51 AM
Wiggle-Jason Derulo

I use to hate this song, but once I realized that no one in the song and video is taking themselves seriously, it became a lot more fun.

I have a friend from college who reviews pop songs online, and he's hilarious has a pretty decent following. His name is Todd in the Shadows. I bring him up because he reviewed four of the songs you mentioned and was not a fan of any of them.

Blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews

iPhone

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Laura on October 05, 2014, 11:50:34 PM

Music is everywhere. I went on a "music fast" during Lent in 2013 and it was easier than I expected because music is played almost everywhere. (My rule was that I could not turn on the music myself unless it was christian religious, but if someone else did, i said nothing and subjected myself to whatever they listened to.) It was a fascinating social experiment because seriously, music is everywhere.

For instance, almost every store plays music. There's at least one coworker who plays music without headphones at her desk, one person on the bus without headphones. It's in many commercials on TV. Whenever I rode in a car with someone, they automatically turned on the radio. Even in conversations with certain people we are quoting song lyrics. Hell, so many of my friends with kids complain on facebook that their second grader came home singing Nicki Minaj (or whoever is the hot artist of the week) because they played it in the background during gym class.

Music is everywhere, including bad music.

I still don't have this problem. I guess I have a lot of control over what I listen to on a day-to-day basis, and anything that my exposure to is from the store background music or what other people are playing in my vicinity is just not enough buildup to the point of "hatred" (kind of an extreme for a song but whatever). 

I usually have a pretty good sense of humor about the stupidity of a lot of the vapid, fleeting pop songs. The worst of them are not usually around long enough to get to me anyway.  And the ones that are are usually pretty funny. I think my sensibilities grew out of watching the early days of MTV, where they put just about everything on in terms of varieties of popular music, and it was all ridiculous, stupid, and fun, which is really what rock 'n roll is all about.  Even if crappy pop songs today don't specifically speak to me, I get what they're doing, cause it's the same thing they were always doing.

If there's one thing that's particularly grating to me, though, it's these plaintive, sensitive indie rock boys who, despite being white, middle-class, very educated, and living in Brooklyn, manage to have a deep mournful tone about their loss and their love and their pain and all I can think is get the hell over yourself.  But I admit this really ties more into much deeper prejudices about people like I'm describing, and less about their music.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 05, 2014, 03:06:59 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 02:05:03 PM
.... John Boy and Billy Big ....

:rofl: :rofl:

This is why Raiford always calls it the "John Boy and Billy Show": "Big" is not Billy's last name. The show is "The Big Show." If you thought of it in mathematical terms, it'd be the (John Boy and Billy) (Big Show)—or, if they'd phrased it differently, "The Big Show Starring John Boy and Billy." (John Isley and Billy James.)

I am aware that Big is not Billy's last name.  Heck Billy may not even be his first name.  Look at Bob Dylan and even Alice Cooper.  Both are stage names for them.

Then look at the one name people.  You think that Madonna, Pink, Usher, and Sting are their only name.  Only Gilligan on Gilligan's Island and Quincy on Quincy are fictional characters who have just one name and no first and no last name.

The point I was trying to make was that WHTQ, a now defunct rock station in Orlando, used to lie about hating shock jock mornings as they themselves in the midst of advertising their devotion to a music morning goes out and gets involved with those they are saying they dislike to the one  person on here who mentioned that a station he knew lied to listeners about their format.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on October 06, 2014, 10:47:00 AMOnly Gilligan on Gilligan's Island and Quincy on Quincy are fictional characters who have just one name and no first and no last name.

Well, put me on a ship and call me Ishmael–you're right!

spooky

Quote from: roadman65 on October 06, 2014, 10:47:00 AM
The point I was trying to make was that WHTQ, a now defunct rock station in Orlando, used to lie about hating shock jock mornings as they themselves in the midst of advertising their devotion to a music morning goes out and gets involved with those they are saying they dislike to the one  person on here who mentioned that a station he knew lied to listeners about their format.

well at least that's clear now.

Molandfreak

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody-  I hate the the choir type of operatic verses in the song, plus if you listen to the lyrics it is about giving up on life and not wanting to live. Not even a Rock Song although it may be classified as one.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Molandfreak

"Is this a human being singing, or a rat that just OD'd on MDMA?"
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Brandon

Many of these, but not all, show up here.  Granted, this is a very subjective list, IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_considered_the_worst
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on October 06, 2014, 12:34:27 PM
Many of these, but not all, show up here.  Granted, this is a very subjective list, IMHO.

If by many, you mean one? (We Built This City)

Other than that, Sgt. Pepper's, and Ob-La-Di, I doubt most of them on that list get much airplay these days.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on October 06, 2014, 12:34:27 PM

That list mentions Friday and Chinese Food but not Thanksgiving?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

In what environment are you people subjected repeatedly to so much awful music?  The last job I had where I was pummeled by bad music was in retail 20 years ago.

Personally, I rarely choose to listen to radio, unless the drive is short enough that setting up my iPod is a bit of a nuisance. But about once or twice a year, I'm confronted with a retail job site where they play the same local radio station(s) or just leave it on some so-called crowd-pleasing XM station. There's a lot of music out there, so there's no reason to ever play the same song three times in a 8-10 hour span.

I do get a few places where the employees actually change stations or genres (or whatever Internet stream they're using) in the building, room, or desk every half day or so, which is refreshing...if not always to my liking. 

roadman65

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 05, 2014, 07:09:44 PM

A lot of people who like the earlier Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship hate anything after Mickey Thomas shaved his mustache off.

Here in Florida you do not hear much of this song, but you do hear Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now though.  Sometimes Sara is played, but not too much anymore.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Quote from: formulanone on October 06, 2014, 01:16:41 PMBut about once or twice a year, I'm confronted with a retail job site where they play the same local radio station(s) or just leave it on some so-called crowd-pleasing XM station. There's a lot of music out there, so there's no reason to ever play the same song three times in a 8-10 hour span.

Whats annoying is when they do it with genres that have a TON of music. SXM's EDM stations are notorious for this. Even the sub-genres (trance, house, etc.) have enough good tracks that you wouldn't hear a repeat for a day or two. This is the same scene that regards tracks as little as 2-3 years old as "classics".

Back to pop music, I could never figure out why so many people were obsessed with "The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony" that it almost always make it onto those "essential 90's tracks" compilations.

agentsteel53

out of genres that I generally otherwise like: Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" is absolutely stupid.  the rest of her stuff ranges from pretty good to brilliant, but this one song is just plodding butt rock.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.