News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Oklahoma City Metro Highways | Small projects and construction

Started by Plutonic Panda, July 14, 2016, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Quote from: Plutonic PandaIt looks like ODOT is planning a grade separation for SH-4 at Fox Lane:

https://sh4atfoxlane.publicmeetinghub.com/alternatives-considered

The preferred alternative (3A2) is a diamond exit, which is what they need to build, even if they end up having to build it in phases with first a Super 2 arrangement and then Interstate quality dual roadways.

All the at-grade alternatives on that page suck. I can't even believe they have roundabouts as possible "solutions." Ugh. I pray the 3A2 alternative wins out. That would at least extend a 4-lane freeway from the OK-4/I-44 interchange a little farther. It's also important to note the ROW needed for the diamond exit at Fox Lane is already secure. In Google Earth you can see the easement barriers for the roadway based on how the terrain looks. ODOT or OTA could get a 4-lane freeway extended as far North as Rock Creek Road without having to buy any extra ROW.

Quote from: Plutonic PandaODOT would be wise to buy ROW at SH-37 for a grade separation.

They'll have to buy and clear several properties along OK-4 leading up to the OK-4/OK-37 intersection. Three of the four corners at that intersection are occupied by properties. ODOT/OTA would have to buy and clear the properties on at least one side of the road to make room for the freeway and exit. The Western side of the road has fewer properties, but some are going to be pissed about a church getting bulldozed to make way for a super highway. But it's something ODOT/OTA need to do to be honest. That H.E. Bailey turnpike extension needs to at least make it over the Canadian River (and those twin bridges they built in the 1990's). If a OK-4 freeway/turnpike could at least make it into the South edge of Mustang it would leave a fairly short Breezewood along S Sara Road and OK-152. Over time ODOT/OTA could come up with some creative way to bridge that gap.

Quote from: bugoIs there still a 4 way stop at OK 3/OK 4? There was in 2007.

Do you mean the OK-3/OK-4 intersection on the Northwest outskirts of OKC? Or do you mean the OK37/OK-4 intersection in Bridge Creek? In either case, the answer is yes. Both intersections have traffic signals.

okroads

I think bugo's question was regarding there being a 4-way stop sign at OK 3/OK 4 near Piedmont, which there was for a long time. January 2008 is the earliest street view of the area, and the intersection was signalized by then.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 13, 2022, 10:59:33 PM
Quote from: Plutonic PandaIt looks like ODOT is planning a grade separation for SH-4 at Fox Lane:

https://sh4atfoxlane.publicmeetinghub.com/alternatives-considered

The preferred alternative (3A2) is a diamond exit, which is what they need to build, even if they end up having to build it in phases with first a Super 2 arrangement and then Interstate quality dual roadways.

All the at-grade alternatives on that page suck. I can't even believe they have roundabouts as possible "solutions." Ugh. I pray the 3A2 alternative wins out. That would at least extend a 4-lane freeway from the OK-4/I-44 interchange a little farther. It's also important to note the ROW needed for the diamond exit at Fox Lane is already secure. In Google Earth you can see the easement barriers for the roadway based on how the terrain looks. ODOT or OTA could get a 4-lane freeway extended as far North as Rock Creek Road without having to buy any extra ROW.

And there'S also an intersection with a local street (CR-1226) to get rid of. https://goo.gl/maps/Z9JUy1p2R2h7FZCNA

Bobby5280

Yeah, they're just going to have to get rid of that side street entrance (aka CR-1226). It doesn't look like there is enough room to build a frontage road alongside OK-4 from Sooner Road up to Fox Lane. Still, everything in that subdivision next to OK-4 has outlets onto Sooner Road. Mustang Road can be used to drive up to the OK-4 exit at Fox Lane. With a bit of extra ROW on the left side of OK-4 they could re-direct CR-1226 up to Fox Lane. Also, that service barn near the CR-1226 intersection might have to be moved.

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

Not sure if I posted this before but ODOT is once again looking at improvements to I-35 in the south metro. The main improvements shown were major investments in the service roads by one way conversions and auxiliary lanes. This would do a lot to help but I still content they need to move the Flood Ave. ramp to the right side of the freeway eliminating the left exit.

Eventually new GP lanes will be needed. I wouldn't be against HO/T lanes so as long as they were two each way but I seriously doubt that would go over well here especially with the current turnpike controversy. ODOT seemed to hint at a possibility of studying for future GP lanes on I-35 but I can't remember how they worded it.

Once more information comes out I'll post a dedicated thread.

The Oklahoma City Department of Transportation is seeking solutions for traffic issues.

The OKC metro does not have the traffic nightmares seen in some other American cities, but it can get worse, especially during the evening rush hour.

Interstate 35 south of the Oklahoma River can turn into a parking lot. At an ODOT meeting on Monday, the traffic experts said traffic will get a whole lot worse in the years and decades to come.

Residents pleaded for improvements for safety and access to the interstate and proposed claims of auxiliary lanes be added and options such as transits, commuter rails and Amtraks.

The master plan needed for this project is set to finish within the next year.

- https://www.koco.com/article/oklahoma-city-transportation-solutions-traffic-issues/40210225

Plutonic Panda

Expect construction at the SH-74 Hefner parkway Kilpatrick interchange. Minor projects:

The finished $4.4 million project will add protected turnarounds on the east and west sides of the interchange to ease current traffic congestion and increase safety.

- https://kfor.com/news/get-ready-for-traffic-jams-memorial-rd-kilpatrick-tpk-lake-hefner-pkwy/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR3ki7ZXU4xufQD6Udto2cZFBnAMKyGYoz-WYDx9Wp57p5OAhdgwzLCzqiQ

Bobby5280

Aren't they planning to add a couple more flyover ramps at the Kilpatrick-Hefner Parkway interchange?

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 26, 2022, 10:19:34 PM
Aren't they planning to add a couple more flyover ramps at the Kilpatrick-Hefner Parkway interchange?
Yes. They will complete the entire interchange two more ramps

rte66man

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 27, 2022, 03:25:36 AM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 26, 2022, 10:19:34 PM
Yes. They will complete the entire interchange two more ramps

ODOT's share of the cash for the flyover ramps has already been allocated. Now its a matter of getting OTA to prioritize it over the seemingly 100's of other projects in Access Oklahoma

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

Quote from: Plutonic PandaYes. They will complete the entire interchange two more ramps

Currently, with 2 existing flyover ramps on the SE corner, the interchange is technically 25% complete. Another 2 ramps for the SW corner would make the Southern half of the interchange complete. There's still the Northern half to consider.

Quote from: rte66manODOT's share of the cash for the flyover ramps has already been allocated. Now its a matter of getting OTA to prioritize it over the seemingly 100's of other projects in Access Oklahoma

If the project is funded OTA had better get on the ball with it soon. Otherwise the effects of inflation will have the actual project costs bleeding into the red.

In_Correct

I Hate Trending:

https://kfor.com/news/get-ready-for-traffic-jams-memorial-rd-kilpatrick-tpk-lake-hefner-pkwy/

NEWS
Construction project starting along busy OKC roadways
by: Heather Holeman/KFOR

Posted: Sep 26, 2022 / 01:52 PM CDT

Updated: Sep 27, 2022 / 07:18 AM CDT

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) — The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority is warning motorists to prepare for traffic tie-ups until spring of 2023 in one of Oklahoma City's busiest areas.

The John Kilpatrick Turnpike, SH-74 ramps (Lake Hefner Parkway), and Memorial Road will all be reduced to one lane in specific areas starting at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, September 27th.

Oklahoma City activist arrested following allegations of elder neglect
The finished $4.4 million project will add protected turnarounds on the east and west sides of the interchange to ease current traffic congestion and increase safety.

According to a press release from the OTA, these are the changes motorists can expect until spring, weather permitting:

• The eastbound and westbound John Kilpatrick Turnpike off-ramps to Memorial Rd. will be narrowed to one lane;
  • Eastbound and westbound Memorial Rd. will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction between May Ave. and Meridian Ave. with work concentrated at the JKT and SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway interchange. The ramp lane will be closed.
  • SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway northbound and southbound service roads (Portland Ave.) will be narrowed to one lane between the JKT bridge and Memorial Rd.
  • Northbound and southbound SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway off-ramps to Memorial Rd. will be narrowed to one lane.

The OTA states that motorists should expect delays and to plan extra time in those areas until the project is complete.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Plutonic Panda

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 10, 2022, 07:52:18 PM
SH-74 Bridge over I-35 is set to be replaced and allow for a widening of the interstate to six lanes: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2022/odot-seeks-virtual-public-comments-for-sh-74-at-i-35-goldsby-pro.html

Bizarre timing, considering they just completely redid that interchange. Wonder why they didn't replace it then?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 10, 2022, 09:55:31 PM
SH-74 Bridge over I-35 is set to be replaced and allow for a widening of the interstate to six lanes: https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/newsroom/2022/odot-seeks-virtual-public-comments-for-sh-74-at-i-35-goldsby-pro.html

Bizarre timing, considering they just completely redid that interchange. Wonder why they didn't replace it then?
Yeah it is a weird project. It looks like they might keep the exits they just redid. But hey ODOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 10, 2022, 10:12:37 PM

Yeah it is a weird project. It looks like they might keep the exits they just redid. But hey ODOT.

I still don't understand what the purpose of building that fancy new parclo ramp was if they were just going to retain the shitty original ramp to the service road anyway.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2022, 04:29:57 AM

I still don't understand what the purpose of building that fancy new parclo ramp was if they were just going to retain the shitty original ramp to the service road anyway.
I don't understand why they're building the SH-9 ramp as anything other than a directional interchange. I don't understand why the decided to delay one of the busiest interchanges in the city that in desperate need for an overhaul for some rural road road upgrade east of Tulsa. ODOT is full of a bunching fucking bullshit IMO.

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 11, 2022, 04:38:08 AM

I don't understand why they're building the SH-9 ramp as anything other than a directional interchange. I don't understand why the decided to delay one of the busiest interchanges in the city that in desperate need for an overhaul for some rural road road upgrade east of Tulsa. ODOT is full of a bunching fucking bullshit IMO.

It's because if you want the government to spend more than $3 per year, you're a godless commie.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 11, 2022, 05:02:50 AM

It's because if you want the government to spend more than $3 per year, you're a godless commie.
You hit the nail on the head. Some states like Louisiana have some serious issues that are going to take a miracle to solve. Oklahoma could do it if people could just pay a tiny bit more and come together to agree to propel the state forward but I guess that's a pipe dream. But hey, how about OSU winning? That's what it's about right lol

swake

Transportation funding in Oklahoma is allocated to transportation districts by population so a project in district 8 (Tulsa region) has no impact on the timing of funding for the I-240/I-35 interchange in district 4. The ONLY time I can recall a project getting extra state allocated funding outside of competitive federal grants was relocating I-40 by downtown Oklahoma City.

All three of Tulsa's busiest interchanges (I-44/US-169, OK-51/US-169 and I-44/OK-51) are still simple cloverleafs where the highways and bridges were widened and improved years/decades ago and any work on the ramps is scheduled well after all of OKC's major interchanges, if at all. The only reason I-44/US-75 is being done first is that interchange, including the highways and bridges, was 60 years old, very poorly maintained and actually was degenerating in gravel.

So your statement is a bunch(ing) fucking bullshit. IMO.

Oklahoma needs to increase gas/diesel taxes by at least 10 cents a gallon so we stop leaving federal dollars on the table and take better care of roads.

Scott5114

Widening of I-35 between exits 104 (SH-74) and 106 (SH-9 west) in Goldsby will begin this year. The portion between exits 101 and 104 will follow thereafter.

https://www.i35mcclaincounty.com/

rte66man

Quote from: swake on October 11, 2022, 10:36:46 PM
All three of Tulsa's busiest interchanges (I-44/US-169, OK-51/US-169 and I-44/OK-51) are still simple cloverleafs where the highways and bridges were widened and improved years/decades ago and any work on the ramps is scheduled well after all of OKC's major interchanges, if at all. The only reason I-44/US-75 is being done first is that interchange, including the highways and bridges, was 60 years old, very poorly maintained and actually was degenerating in gravel.

The Okmulgee cloverleaf and the BA cloverleaf were built about the same time. I've wondered why the BA cloverleaf has been basically ignored since then (excepting the c/d lane changes to move the EB Memorial Dr exit west of the cloverleaf).

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

Speaking of the I-44/US-75 interchange in Tulsa: has ODOT simply stopped work on that interchange or what?

Based on Google Street View imagery dated 11/2022 on US-75 going thru the interchange it looks like all the overpass support pylons are finished. But it looks like hardly any other work is in progress. There aren't any cranes lifting beams into place to span those pylons. All are just sitting there empty. An excavator machine and a couple other pieces of equipment are visible on the property doing some grading work. To me that appears to be preparation for laying down new sod.

I guess I'm concerned they might be fixing to pull off the project and just let it sit there in this stage for a couple or so years before resuming work. ODOT dragged out the I-44/I-235/B'way Extension interchange project for more than a freaking decade.

swake

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 11, 2023, 12:01:47 PM
Speaking of the I-44/US-75 interchange in Tulsa: has ODOT simply stopped work on that interchange or what?

Based on Google Street View imagery dated 11/2022 on US-75 going thru the interchange it looks like all the overpass support pylons are finished. But it looks like hardly any other work is in progress. There aren't any cranes lifting beams into place to span those pylons. All are just sitting there empty. An excavator machine and a couple other pieces of equipment are visible on the property doing some grading work. To me that appears to be preparation for laying down new sod.

I guess I'm concerned they might be fixing to pull off the project and just let it sit there in this stage for a couple or so years before resuming work. ODOT dragged out the I-44/I-235/B'way Extension interchange project for more than a freaking decade.

The next two phases are set to go to bid in June with another in 2024.

KCRoadFan

I'm planning on driving down to OKC on Feb. 3 - is there any ongoing construction that I should know about on I-35 north of the city?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.