News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is the favorite roadmeet that you have been to?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 01, 2017, 10:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I have never been to one :-(. I would like to go to the Alaska one next year, but there is a 0% chance of that happening.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Alaska is unquestionably the favorite.
We never had this thread? I honestly think the first one I ever hosted is my favorite. Baltimore 2009 - 32 people came and it ran smoothly. Met some new faces who are now regulars in the community.

TheHighwayMan3561

Denver/Front Range 2015. The scenery was just as much an attraction as the roads were. Met a lot of fun people and some familiar faces. There was a lot of memorable stuff that happened outside of the meet that adds onto this experience.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jpi

Yes, Denver was fun, in terms of comradery (pardon my spelling) I would have to say the St Louis meet from March 2014, another favorite of mine was my largest hosted road meet in April 2016 in central PA. Baltimore was fun and largest meet I have attended in terms of head count.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

dgolub

My favorite so far was Corridor H.  Awesome scenery up in the mountains, two new states for me, two full days of road meet--what more could you want?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on December 02, 2017, 12:29:37 AM
I honestly think the first one I ever hosted is my favorite. Baltimore 2009 - 32 people came and it ran smoothly. Met some new faces who are now regulars in the community.

I remember the Baltimore meet in 2010 which was a huge event (I was there). Was there a huge Baltimore meet in '09 as well?
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

I've liked most of the ones I went to, but Atlanta 2008 was one of the ones that stands out in my mind.

I would start a "least favorite meet" thread but someone might say one of mine was. LOL

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

The 2014 St Louis meet was the meet to end all meets, and it was fantastic.

As far as more regional meets go, the 2010 Tulsa meet was also - maybe it was because it was my first - an exceptionally good meet.

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 02, 2017, 01:06:19 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 02, 2017, 12:29:37 AM
I honestly think the first one I ever hosted is my favorite. Baltimore 2009 - 32 people came and it ran smoothly. Met some new faces who are now regulars in the community.

I remember the Baltimore meet in 2010 which was a huge event (I was there). Was there a huge Baltimore meet in '09 as well?
2010 = 2009

Rothman

The Long Island one Doug hosted and I attended...however long ago that was.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

A.J. Bertin

I keep a list of all the road meets I've ever attended. (I've been attending meets since 2004.) I think the best meet I've ever attended was New York/New Jersey meet that Steve Alpert hosted in June 2014. However, there are others that stand out as particularly fun and memorable meets:

• Chicago/Milwaukee - June 2008
  • Indianapolis - July 2009
  • Baltimore - April 2010
  • Rochester NY - September 2010
  • Morgantown WV - June 2011
  • Memphis TN - April 2012
  • Ashland KY - May 2013
  • Cincinnati - October 2013
  • St. Louis - March 2014
  • Nashville - March 2014
  • Illinois Valley (Starved Rock) - May 2014
  • Northeast Alabama - October 2014
  • Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA - March 2015
  • Madison WI - April 2015
  • Front Range (Denver) - May 2015
  • Michigan's Upper Peninsula - September 2015
  • Corridor H (WV) - May 2016
  • Duluth MN - July 2016
  • Kankakee IL - May 2017

I can't say I've ever attended a bad meet. Some have obviously been better than others, but these are the ones that stand out for me.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: corco on December 02, 2017, 06:49:38 PM

That was the cluster foxtrot where people got lost and started wandering about on their own, wasn't it?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on December 03, 2017, 09:28:17 PM

That was the cluster foxtrot where people got lost and started wandering about on their own, wasn't it?

Yes, it indeed was.  Still, it was a hell of a memorable meet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Brandon on December 03, 2017, 09:31:51 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 03, 2017, 09:28:17 PM

Yes, it indeed was.  Still, it was a hell of a memorable meet.

I'm surprised Tim hasn't weighed in yet about how that should have been the final roadmeet ever hosted.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: jpi on December 02, 2017, 09:06:23 AM
comradery (pardon my spelling)

I used to rent a room from a guy who told me you could make certain money by betting people at a bar they can't spell that word right.  Because probably half the people out there are sure they know how, and then they lose their way by the end of the word.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cl94

Kankakee '17 and Birmingham '16 stick out as really good ones I have been to. Both had a nice mix of stuff, including things I would have never expected to see near either.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kphoger

I've only been to one, but I don't know if it was my favorite.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2017, 03:30:05 PM
The joke
My head. Please explain.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 04, 2017, 05:21:40 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2017, 03:30:05 PM
The joke
My head. Please explain.

It doesn't make sense.  I was just being silly.
Male pronouns, please.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

bandit957

The St. Louis meet in 2014 was great. Much of this is probably because it had the most bunker blasts of any meet I've been to.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

adventurernumber1

Sadly, I have never been to a roadmeet, but I will always wonder what it was like to be at the 2014 St. Louis Roadmeet.  :)

This is the one that I have heard about probably more than any other. It sounded like it was absolute chaos, but fun and extremely memorable at the same time. If only there was time travel.  :biggrin:

This may be my favorite roadmeet that I have ever heard/read about (as I, so far, have obviously been to none myself) - it sounds like it was definitely one to remember.  :D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

JMoses24

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 03, 2017, 11:28:42 AM
I keep a list of all the road meets I've ever attended. (I've been attending meets since 2004.) I think the best meet I've ever attended was New York/New Jersey meet that Steve Alpert hosted in June 2014. However, there are others that stand out as particularly fun and memorable meets:

• Chicago/Milwaukee - June 2008
  • Indianapolis - July 2009
  • Baltimore - April 2010
  • Rochester NY - September 2010
  • Morgantown WV - June 2011
  • Memphis TN - April 2012
  • Ashland KY - May 2013
  • Cincinnati - October 2013
  • St. Louis - March 2014
  • Nashville - March 2014
  • Illinois Valley (Starved Rock) - May 2014
  • Northeast Alabama - October 2014
  • Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA - March 2015
  • Madison WI - April 2015
  • Front Range (Denver) - May 2015
  • Michigan's Upper Peninsula - September 2015
  • Corridor H (WV) - May 2016
  • Duluth MN - July 2016
  • Kankakee IL - May 2017

I can't say I've ever attended a bad meet. Some have obviously been better than others, but these are the ones that stand out for me.

I'm honored that Cincinnati 2013 made the list for you. Being the first and to date only one I organized, even with the minor issues at Olden View (where we got chased off from parking close to it), it still worked out.

dvferyance

I have been to
Wausau WI October 2011
Joliet IL April 2012
Dubuque IA May 2013
Starved Rock May 2014
Appleton WI August 2014
Madison WI April 2015
South Bend IN May 2016
Kanakee IL May 2017
I would say my favorite was the Joliet road meet. Got to see the most construction projects as other interesting things in the area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.