Do you pronounce drive as "jrive" and train as "chrain"?

Started by 7/8, December 09, 2017, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you pronounce drive as "jrive" and train as "chrain"?

Yes, I say "jrive" and "chrain"
7 (43.8%)
No, I don't say either of those
7 (43.8%)
I say "jrive", but not "chrain"
0 (0%)
I say "chrain", but not "jrive"
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

7/8

For me, I always pronounce dr- and tr- words as jr- and chr- respectively. I've read through some threads on other boards people's answers seem to range from "what are you talking about?" to "of course I do this, doesn't everybody?". I mentioned this to my mom whose name is Tracy and she says she uses a tr- for saying her name (while I use a chr-); I find that interesting since we were both born and raised around Toronto.

For those who know the International Phonetic Alphabet, this occurence doesn't seem too far fetched. The j sound is denoted as [d͡ʒ], being a combination of the d sound [d] followed by the sound of the g in genre [ʒ]. Likewise, the ch sound is denoted as [t͡ʃ], being a combination of the t sound [t] followed by the sh sound [ʃ]. Therefore, there's a pattern of changing an alveolar stop into a palato-alveolar affricate.  I would like to emphasize that I only do this before r's, so tube does not sound like chube (which sounds British to me).

Anyway, I'm curious what people's answers will be. I encourage people to actually say the words drive and train out loud before answering.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 7/8 on December 09, 2017, 11:22:24 AM
For me, I always pronounce dr- and tr- words as jr- and chr- respectively. I've read through some threads on other boards people's answers seem to range from "what are you talking about?" to "of course I do this, doesn't everybody?". I mentioned this to my mom whose name is Tracy and she says she uses a tr- for saying her name (while I use a chr-); I find that interesting since we were both born and raised around Toronto.

For those who know the International Phonetic Alphabet, this occurence doesn't seem too far fetched. The j sound is denoted as [d͡ʒ], being a combination of the d sound [d] followed by the sound of the g in genre [ʒ]. Likewise, the ch sound is denoted as [t͡ʃ], being a combination of the t sound [t] followed by the sh sound [ʃ]. Therefore, there's a pattern of changing an alveolar stop into a palato-alveolar affricate.  I would like to emphasize that I only do this before r's, so tube does not sound like chube (which sounds British to me).

Anyway, I'm curious what people's answers will be. I encourage people to actually say the words drive and train out loud before answering.

To be fair, I'm not sure a lot of people have the knowledge to tell them apart specifically. This is a really niche distinction that a lot of people, lacking the fundamentals of linguistics, will probably miss.

However, I can say for certain that, for myself, those both come out as affricates. It feels really awkward to try to pronounce /tr/ and /dr/ without the second consonant before the /r/.

kurumi

This might be Yod-coalescence, which sounds like a C-list Lovecraft monster, but see the link.

For those picking up English as another language, sometimes similar phonemes are mapped together ("It's okay" -> "Itch okay"; "San Diego" -> "San Jego" etc.)

"Portugal" certainly sounds like "Porchagull" in a lot of American English
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hotdogPi

Quote from: kurumi on December 09, 2017, 02:53:21 PM
"Portugal" certainly sounds like "Porchagull" in a lot of American English

If you're talking about the letter T, that's the way it should be. Compare future, furniture, fortunate, pasture, statute, and creature. (All of those end in the letter E, but that shouldn't matter.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

english si

I can't stop hearing the rogue [ʃ] after t, and now have no idea what I say. I don't Yod-coalesce though.

Also, as a glottalizer, pronouncing the 't' in Portugal as a 't' is definitely something I don't do.

Hurricane Rex

Thanks for the virius, I'm now messing up my dr and tr with jr and chr. I hope this doesn't last due to school.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: 7/8 on December 09, 2017, 11:22:24 AM

No.

P00I

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

I've never really noticed the consonants to be different, it's the vowels that people speak differently.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tchafe1978

Saying "drive" and "train" with a "dr" and "tr" sound instead of "jrive" and "chrain" as you put it makes it sound like you have a Russian accent. Nobody I've ever heard has ever said it that way.

SectorZ

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 11, 2017, 03:24:21 PM
Saying "drive" and "train" with a "dr" and "tr" sound instead of "jrive" and "chrain" as you put it makes it sound like you have a Russian accent. Nobody I've ever heard has ever said it that way.

In Soviet Russia, chrain jrives you.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

7/8

Quote from: kurumi on December 09, 2017, 02:53:21 PM
This might be Yod-coalescence, which sounds like a C-list Lovecraft monster, but see the link.

It does seem very similar to yod-coalescence except it occurs before r instead of [j]. I haven't found a proper name for what I'm talking about in this thread :-/

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 09, 2017, 12:14:25 PM
To be fair, I'm not sure a lot of people have the knowledge to tell them apart specifically. This is a really niche distinction that a lot of people, lacking the fundamentals of linguistics, will probably miss.

You're probably right. I asked my brother and I clearly heard him say "jrive", but he couldn't tell if he pronounces dr- like jr-.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 11, 2017, 09:53:05 PM
Doesn't chrain sound the same as train?

It does to me, but I've heard people say otherwise. I'm curious if people actually don't rhyme them, or if they just think they don't rhyme them due to the spelling suggesting otherwise.

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2017, 12:54:08 PM
I'm about halfway between the two.

You might be right. Wikipedia has this entry, suggesting that the dr- sound is not exactly the same as a jr- sound*. But to me, I think drive and "jrive" rhyme, so I'm not sure if I'm not picking up on a subtle difference, or maybe I do rhyme them :spin:

* The article states that the "j" sound is sibilant while the dr- sound is non-sibilant. I'm not sure if I'm capable of understanding this small difference.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 7/8 on December 11, 2017, 10:24:39 PM

You might be right. Wikipedia has this entry, suggesting that the dr- sound is not exactly the same as a jr- sound*. But to me, I think drive and "jrive" rhyme, so I'm not sure if I'm not picking up on a subtle difference, or maybe I do rhyme them :spin:

* The article states that the "j" sound is sibilant while the dr- sound is non-sibilant. I'm not sure if I'm capable of understanding this small difference.

They're very close, but not quite the same thing, which is probably why we think they rhyme: English doesn't make a phonemic distinction between them. Also, this might help with understanding sibilance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibilant

It has to do with the manner in which air is being forced through the mouth.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on December 11, 2017, 10:24:39 PM

When saying DR, my tongue doesn't curl back as far as it does when I say J.
For example, when I say the word HEDGEROW, my tongue curls back quite a bit, but not nearly as much when I say DROVE.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

"Chrain" should actually sound exactly like "crane". Chr is not ch + r. Do you pronounce Christmas or chrome as beginning with the ch sound that chocolate has?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

7/8

Quote from: 1 on December 13, 2017, 08:53:23 AM
"Chrain" should actually sound exactly like "crane". Chr is not ch + r. Do you pronounce Christmas or chrome as beginning with the ch sound that chocolate has?

This is a fair point I didn't consider, but how else can I write the theoretical combination of a "ch" sound followed by an "r"? This also shows how confusing English spelling can be.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on December 13, 2017, 12:15:08 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 13, 2017, 08:53:23 AM

This is a fair point I didn't consider, but how else can I write the theoretical combination of a "ch" sound followed by an "r"? This also shows how confusing English spelling can be.

Tshr-
Male pronouns, please.

english si

ch can be pronounced as /tʃ/ (chalk, cherry, church, much), /k/ (ache, choir, and stomach), /ʃ/ (charade, machine, machete and pistachio), /dʒ/ (sandwich, spinach, Greenwich and Norwich), /x/ (loch), /χ/ (challah) or even silent (yacht, Crichton).

It rivals ough for different ways to say it.

Fellow Wisconsinite agrees.   :)
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

kphoger

Quote from: english si on December 13, 2017, 06:15:38 PM
/dʒ/ (sandwich, spinach, Greenwich and Norwich)

Whoa, really?  I've never heard anyone pronounce "sandwich" or "Greenwich" with a /dʒ/ sound before.
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on December 14, 2017, 11:19:46 AM

Whoa, really?  I've never heard anyone pronounce "sandwich" or "Greenwich" with a /dʒ/ sound before.

That's a British phenomenon.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on December 14, 2017, 11:19:46 AM

I say the first two with a /dʒ/ sound, but the last two with a /tʃ/ sound (maybe because I rarely use these words). Sandwiches (plural) with a /tʃ/ sounds weird to me.

kkt

Quote from: SectorZ on December 11, 2017, 07:42:24 PM

In Soviet Russia, chrain jrives you.

:-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.