News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Rare signals

Started by traffic light guy, July 13, 2018, 04:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Here's something extremely rare, I plan to get a shot before it gets replaced, this signal is a rare Marbelite, I was told it was a type K:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0442838,-75.1435093,3a,28.5y,308.59h,106.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssqQZJyFkIjk5Zl-YQ7hOhQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It's the overhead-mounted signal that's on the southbound corridor of the intersection

freebrickproductions

Rarest signal still in service (AFAIK) would be the Bakelite Horni signal in East Rutherford, NJ. Only other one known to survive is a single section beacon in a private collection.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 14, 2018, 03:38:51 PM
Rarest signal still in service (AFAIK) would be the Bakelite Horni signal in East Rutherford, NJ. Only other one known to survive is a single section beacon in a private collection.

There could be several Horni signals in remote locations of the U.S. Trust me, this is a huge country

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on July 16, 2018, 12:50:30 PM

There could be several Horni signals in remote locations of the U.S. Trust me, this is a huge country

Possibly, but the west coast is not known for old setups. Neither is the Midwest, to my knowledge. Most old setups seem to be out east.

I don't think we have to "trust [you]" that this is a huge country. That's readily apparent looking at a map. :biggrin:

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on July 16, 2018, 04:14:44 PM

Possibly, but the west coast is not known for old setups. Neither is the Midwest, to my knowledge. Most old setups seem to be out east.

I don't think we have to "trust [you]" that this is a huge country. That's readily apparent looking at a map. :biggrin:
Also, it seems Horni signals have been primarily found on the east coast.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

index

Would you say California is known for it, at the very least? They've got quite a few old setups, including plenty Econolite Bullseyes and a good amount of older 8/12 inch combos. It's easy compared to other states to find old stuff there.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

freebrickproductions

Quote from: index on July 18, 2018, 02:02:20 AM

Would you say California is known for it, at the very least? They've got quite a few old setups, including plenty Econolite Bullseyes and a good amount of older 8/12 inch combos. It's easy compared to other states to find old stuff there.
Yea, California seems to be the exception, though everything over there seems to be LED these days. Though they do still have a few neon peds and other worded peds tucked away in a few places, but are steadily disappearing.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 18, 2018, 02:07:49 AM

Yea, California seems to be the exception, though everything over there seems to be LED these days. Though they do still have a few neon peds and other worded peds tucked away in a few places, but are steadily disappearing.

True. California probably has the oldest amount of signals relative to how many installations they have. Of course, every state, even western ones, have old setups. I don't know of any neon ped signals in WA, but we have more than a few text-only ped signals, and plenty of old Marbelite and Flatback signals. But nowhere near the amount of old signals that the east coast seems to have.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on July 18, 2018, 02:10:38 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 18, 2018, 02:07:49 AM

True. California probably has the oldest amount of signals relative to how many installations they have. Of course, every state, even western ones, have old setups. I don't know of any neon ped signals in WA, but we have more than a few text-only ped signals, and plenty of old Marbelite and Flatback signals. But nowhere near the amount of old signals that the east coast seems to have.
Want to say Portland had a few Wait/Walk ped signals in service up until sometime in the early 2010s. I want to say the same goes for California as well. I also know that either Portland or Seattle (I believe Portland) had a good number of neon ICC hand/man pedestrian signals in service (may still do as well). There's a few of them in service still not far from me in Madison, AL I believe, though I haven't checked on them in a while, so I don't know how many remain. They're also the last neon pedestrian signals in service here in Alabama, IIRC.

Speaking of neon signals, the Krossgard neon pedestrian signal would be another rare one to see in general. They were made in Cleveland, OH area prior to the introduction of ZIP codes, but other than that, nothing much is known about them aside from a two ads they produced (one from the April of 1957 issue of The American City, the other from an unknown date). Despite being made/based in the Cleveland, OH area, none of the company's ped signals appear to have been installed in Cleveland itself, though one ad claims that Lakewood, OH used them. In fact, only two other cities are known to have used them are Bradenton, FL and Albertville, AL, the latter of which has the only two known surviving examples of these signals, both abandoned. Here are some pictures I took of them back in 2015, though they were still there, last I checked:
Abandoned Krossgard Pedestrian Signals by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Abandoned Krossgard Pedestrian Signal by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Here are a pair of photos of two that were in service in Bradenton, FL back in the 1960s:

And here at the two known ads from the company:

Interestingly enough, searching up the address on the bottom of the ads leads to this building in Lakewood, OH.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

GE streamlines are also very rare, considering the fact that they're extremely old, and were only produced from 1952 to 1957. Eagle flat back doghouses are also very rare (I've only seen five of them in person). There are less than twenty of them in the U.S. I didn't know they existed until 2013, when I saw that some guy in my area named Macsignals took snapshots of them on photobucket. Luckily, I was able to document them weeks before they got replaced.

CJResotko

An old and rare traffic signal setup in Detroit, Michigan. 8-inch Marbelites (what I think they are) on the left, and 12-inch Eagle Durasigs on the right. https://goo.gl/maps/hQpcgw8UhZ82

traffic light guy

The Marelite type L signal in Philadelphia is excruciatingly rare:
12-inch Marbelite type L by thesignalman, on Flickr

So is this 8" Eagle with the 12 inch adapter at New Second Street & Converty Avenue in Cheltenham:
Eagle signal with 12" adapter by thesignalman, on Flickr
The only other inersection I'm aware of that has this is at Haverford@Remington Roads in Lower Merion, I might document them in the furture, but I'm debating since Ian already has pictures of them.

Worded pedestrian signals are nearly extinct in my area, but in other places across the US, they're still fairly common.

Eagle Flatback worded pedestrian signal by thesignalman, on Flickr

Eagle Flatback worded pedestrian signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

Eagle Flatback worded pedestrian signals by thesignalman, on Flickr

There were two more worded ped intersections, PennDOT terminated them before I got a chance to document them. I guess they couldn't help themselves.

Revive 755

How about a green pedestrian signal reading "LEAVE CURB"?  from Burlington, IA

This one has "DONT" in the upper section can't tell if it has an apostrophe.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 23, 2019, 11:01:53 PM
How about a green pedestrian signal reading "LEAVE CURB"?  from Burlington, IA

This one has "DONT" in the upper section can't tell if it has an apostrophe.
Yea, those are pretty rare. They appear to have been an older style of pedestrian signal there for a while, and most likely, the "Leave Curb" would've been on 24/7, while the "Don't" lit-up when one shouldn't cross. They're now set-up to function as normal pedestrian signals though, from what I understand, so it winds-up looking a bit weird. Also, as a side note, two of those peds are from TSI and are also quite rare to find.

(They/Them)

Kasey

I have this, it's called an ASI Type E. Not much is known about these so if anyone could give me some info I'd appreciate that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNs9PHwBQHf/?igshid=9h71gjpmpq6y

Also I apologize for the Instagram link, i don't know how to post photos.
Crazy person who owns a bunch of traffic lights

webny99

Quote from: Kasey on April 15, 2021, 05:56:07 PM

Here's the code:

[img]paste link here[/img]

It doesn't work with your exact link: being familiar with Imgur but not Instagram, I'm not sure why...

Scott5114

Except Instagram is a pissbaby and blocks it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on April 15, 2021, 06:01:57 PM
... It doesn't work with your exact link: being familiar with Imgur but not Instagram, I'm not sure why...

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 15, 2021, 06:04:15 PM
Except Instagram is a pissbaby and blocks it.

That would explain it!

jakeroot

Works for me. Put the following link between img tags. I pulled it from the console. Hopefully it works for everyone else too. Not amazing quality, though:

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/s640x640/173869641_142171237850051_3246175140284482002_n.jpg?tp=1&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=8jYsdXZ0QToAX-FoqvR&edm=APU89FAAAAAA&ccb=7-4&oh=bde8b460f3c88398e819aeb81984d1d3&oe=609D0B4B&_nc_sid=86f79a

(I'm refraining from posting the whole image to not steal any thunder from the OP)

MCRoads

Not sure how rare it is, but I have a 12-8-8 Metal Econolite. It's from Denver, the listing said from what intersection specifically, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was. I know that it is from the 1960s/79s, but not much else. I figure just the fact that it's a 12-8-8 is kind of rare, as this configuration seems to be disappearing.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Kasey

Quote from: webny99 on April 15, 2021, 06:01:57 PM
Quote from: Kasey on April 15, 2021, 05:56:07 PM

Here's the code:

[img]paste link here[/img]

It doesn't work with your exact link: being familiar with Imgur but not Instagram, I'm not sure why...

Thanks!
Crazy person who owns a bunch of traffic lights

US71

I don't think you can get much rarer than this one in Kansas City.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

^^^
Paseo @ Linwood if anyone is interested.

Too bad they can't swap out the orbs for arrows so we can dump that ugly "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" sign.

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on April 17, 2021, 07:18:05 PM
^^^

Too bad they can't swap out the orbs for arrows so we can dump that ugly "LEFT TURN SIGNAL" sign.

The Left Turn was a retrofit
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Quote from: US71 on April 17, 2021, 07:28:03 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 17, 2021, 07:18:05 PM
^^^

The Left Turn was a retrofit

Well, the sign is the retrofit. Left turn signals without arrows aren't allowed anymore. My point is: swap out the orbs for left turn arrows so we can go back to just having the ornate pedestal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.