What other online communities AARoadsters participate in?

Started by jon daly, July 24, 2018, 08:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Dave Barry's blog.

The Straight Dope Message Board (mostly as a lurker).

No social media.  I have a LinkedIn account, which I go into maybe a half-dozen times a year.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on July 24, 2018, 07:34:38 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on July 24, 2018, 08:49:26 AM
Transport-related: FlyerTalk

I have an account there too, but I pop in infrequently; everything comes down to the same 4-5 arguments, which gets tiresome fast. There's some helpful folks but understanding the lingo is like learning a new language. I suppose if I was paying for my own airfare, I'd have a lot more to fuss about. I just take my seat and shut up, after all...it averages out to a bunch of 1h 50m flights when it's all said and done.

[/logs in to see what's new]

Forgot about the retiring MD-88s.
Yep - and one of the six is "OMG a fat person sat next to me, my life is ruined!"  But I've gotten a ton of useful travel-related information there, and have given some useful info to others, so it's worth it in the end.

US71

Roadgeek (yahoo)
Central States (yahoo)
There was a Mid South Yahoogroup, but it's been dormant a while
Oil History (yahoo)
Route 66 (yahoo)
Lincoln Highway (yahoo)
RMCA

4-5 Facebook groups, plus a couple I run
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Dougtone

I'm kicking around from time to time, but I tend to lurk the AARoads Forum and participate more frequently on Facebook. Those include road groups like Northeast Roads and West Coast Roads, as well as non-roads groups like Waterfalls of the Northeastern United States, New York State Waterfalls, Hiking New York State and Beyond, Hiking the Adirondacks.

I also participate in Lighthouse Hockey, which is a New York Islanders blog and discussion forum.

oscar

My only other roads forum is the low-activity Roadgeek Yahoo group.

My only non-roads forum is the soakersforum.com hot springs group.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

slorydn1

Really just here and allfordmustangs.com. I was on motorsportforums.com for many,many years but once Indy Car reunited, NASCAR started to go way overboard on the "playoffs" and F1 switched to cars that sound like lawn mowers motorsportfourms became a ghost town.

I was the NASCAR subforum moderator there, and am still a moderator at allfordmustangs (which reminds me I need to check in again over there, its been a while).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

inkyatari

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 24, 2018, 07:51:29 PM
Dave Barry's blog.

The Straight Dope Message Board (mostly as a lurker).

No social media.  I have a LinkedIn account, which I go into maybe a half-dozen times a year.

I love The Straight Dope.  Also, I'm a huge fan of Dave Barry.  I need to read his blog.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

LM117

This is the only road-related forum I'm on. The only other forum I'm on is City-Data, with the majority of my posts being in the North Carolina subforum since that's where I'm from. I'm on there nearly everyday.

I pop into Reddit once in a blue moon but not often enough to really count.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jon daly

Is City-Data relatively active? I was looking up info on a possible move closer to work in R.I. a month or two ago and many of the threads looked old.

LM117

Quote from: jon daly on July 25, 2018, 11:00:29 AM
Is City-Data relatively active? I was looking up info on a possible move closer to work in R.I. a month or two ago and many of the threads looked old.

I don't know about the Rhode Island subforum specifically since I never paid it any attention, but City-Data in general is very active. Some subforums are just more active than others. Start a new thread on the R.I. subforum and see what happens.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jp the roadgeek

I also am on 506Sports.  I avoid the political area like the plague, though. 
Also into fantasy sports.  Just got into Out of the Park Baseball last week.  Friend twisted my arm hard enough to have me join his league.  I'm in a few local FB groups discussing local issues.  Was also on a couple of music discussion boards but I haven't been there in a while.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Desert Man

I don't do message boards or forums as much like I used to in my 20s, I been posting in them for almost 20 years, and the one I recommend for anyone who can handle politics is CNN's. I posted in forums about astrology, anime and sciences - an odd combination of interests I have. And I hadn't been on the Comedy Central forum in over a decade. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: gonealookin on July 24, 2018, 03:51:05 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on July 24, 2018, 12:05:51 PM
Getting ready for retirement and have been looking for some retirement relocation boards, but have found nothing that is not controlled by people trying to sell me something.

You might want to look at the Early Retirement forum.  The "Life After FIRE" (Financially Independent, Retired Early) section would have a lot of discussion on that topic.  The Bogleheads forum also talks a lot about that subject but you'd have to dig around some to find the topics.
Thank you for this information.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ilpt4u

DSLReports.com I probably frequent more than here, but that is because I work in the Telecom industry.

I just liked to read maps as a kid, to the point I used to read the Chicagoland 6 County Map book, routinely, as well as the Late 90s Rand McNally National Map Book, so hence the aaroads interest!

I also have a flyertalk account, but don't check it nearly as often, unless I have some air travel coming up, typically

Hurricane Rex

Thjs is the place where I'm at the most, however I do participate in certain groups on Facebook. I do participate in gaming groups, specifically the Wahooz and TwoPercentSkimm discord servers. I am also a part of the COD zombies community (highest round 115, I have a screenshot on the Xbox to prove).

I want to find a good weather forum to be a part of but I do not know any good ones. I do not count the Portland weather blog that I follow.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

briantroutman

Quote from: jon daly on July 25, 2018, 11:00:29 AM

The City-Data forums are fairly active, but that level of activity is also somewhat dependent on the specific sub-forum in question. For example, within the Pennsylvania section, the Pittsburgh board is considerably more active than the Philadelphia board, despite Philadelphia's metro area being significantly more populous than Pittsburgh's.

I actually started a thread in the Rhode Island forum once–when I realized how much I disliked living in Florida and started to look at a number of places in the Northeast, including Providence. I got a number of responses, but the quality of them was quite mixed: Some people offered fairly thoughtful and even-handed opinions, while others seemed to have an axe to grind and were tirelessly negative. I even got private messages (unsolicited) from people trying to dissuade me from considering Rhode Island. Many of these naysayers apparently didn't even read my post–suggesting places that didn't fit my checklist at all.

But even when people aren't being blindly negative about an area, you still have to take the responses you get with a degree of skepticism...because the concept of the "ideal home"  and the "ideal neighborhood"  mean very different things to different people. Some people are avowed suburbanites who can't understand why a person would ever want to live in a city or use public transportation. Others are urbanites who couldn't imagine living within a block of a dozen trendy restaurants. Some posters are parents in an endless quest for the best schools (whatever that means) regardless of anything else. Any of the above may not describe you, yet you'll get responses from them.

Sctvhound

Facebook, Twitter and Instagram I've participated in for several years each. Facebook was the first.

I am also a 506sports member (since 2007), and I've posted on radio message boards and TVNewsTalk for as long as that. I also post on a board for the College of Charleston sports teams, the university I am an alumni of. I used to post on several others, but I've mostly stopped.

Those boards have gone downhill especially in the last 5 years. You get people frequently who post dumb stuff about pointless information.

Especially on the interest boards, you get trolls often with Asperger's (don't get me wrong, I am an Aspie myself) who are still living with their parents, have nothing to do and post inane stuff. On a radio board I post on, we had a guy who would only post about the old cartoon Sailor Moon and would ask about what particular TV station the show aired in every market around the nation.

On Golden-Road (Price is Right message board), the owner almost folded the site because the producer changed from Bob Barker's producer to a new guy he didn't like.

The sports boards, especially at the smaller schools, still are of use. They often are a main source of information as usually there is only a couple sources of information from these teams.

But at the major schools that usually have several message boards dedicated to them, you get some of the most insane people around. People who sit on the boards all day, spend hundreds of dollars a year to get insider information about their team, and who often write dumb comments.

There was one time I saw somebody blame my school (South Carolina) losing a football game on a cheerleader "dinging her noggin"  falling doing a in-game routine, causing a delay in the game.

I also post on City-Data too. It truly depends on the city board. Popular metros such as Raleigh and Charlotte are very popular, while other areas with less vibrant communities on the site are not.

jon daly

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of some of these places' popularity. For example, when it comes to sports, I'm sort of in a sabermetric bubble. I've never been to 506.

Pink Jazz

Wikipedia
Facebook
City-Data
Airliners.net
Autism Forums
Anandtech
Styleforum
Flyertalk
CPTDB

Roadgeekteen

I use reddit, but not much posting. I have a facebook and instagram but I don't use it much. I am a member of several other online forums but I'm not active in any of them.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CNGL-Leudimin

Apart from SkyscraperCity (which I already mentioned) I've recently opened a YouTube channel, but only for the purposes of chatting in the BigRigTravels livestreams. I'm also in Twitter, where I tweet in my mother language.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2018, 10:09:07 AM
Road-wise, I read a number of Facebook groups. Plus I still subscribe to the Roadgeek group on Yahoo and I do still read MTR.

Does ANYONE still use MTR?

QuoteAnd I'm a member of BipRoads, which seemingly is permanently defunct.

BipRoads was hacked.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Quote from: Sctvhound on July 29, 2018, 10:55:32 PMOn a radio board I post on, we had a guy who would only post about the old cartoon Sailor Moon and would ask about what particular TV station the show aired in every market around the nation.

I used to post on some radio boards a lot, and there was one guy in Wisconsin who wrote to a radio station in Alabama demanding they send him a free t-shirt. When they never sent him a shirt, he threatened to sue the station for $7. He went on and on about this for months.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.