News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: Crown Victoria on June 26, 2021, 09:26:11 AM
The project to reconstruct PA 61 between St. Clair and Frackville has been awarded just over $21 million through an INFRA grant.

This project is much needed as truck traffic is growing in the area due to the large number of warehouses throughout eastern PA and with Route 61 serving as a link between I-78 and I-81. Currently PA 61 is in pretty rough shape here, up to the point where southbound is limited to one lane due to the roadway collapsing.

https://www.skooknews.com/2021/06/penndot-awarded-21012220-million.html

https://www.revitalize61.com/

I did not realize that.  Thank you for mentioning it.  I do not think I will need to update PA 61 in Travel Mapping as the centerline does not seem to change very much.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 26, 2021, 02:17:05 PM
The project to reconstruct PA 61 between St. Clair and Frackville has been awarded just over $21 million through an INFRA grant.

This project is much needed as truck traffic is growing in the area due to the large number of warehouses throughout eastern PA and with Route 61 serving as a link between I-78 and I-81. Currently PA 61 is in pretty rough shape here, up to the point where southbound is limited to one lane due to the roadway collapsing.

I did not realize that.  Thank you for mentioning it.  I do not think I will need to update PA 61 in Travel Mapping as the centerline does not seem to change very much.

You're welcome! Thank you for all the project updates that you provide for us.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Crown Victoria on June 26, 2021, 06:08:08 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 26, 2021, 02:17:05 PM

You're welcome! Thank you for all the project updates that you provide for us.

For some reason, District 5 is not the best when it comes to news releases.  Outside of maybe District 4 at times, the other districts seem to do a solid job at them.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 28, 2021, 03:42:59 PM
PennDOT - District 12 News: Emergency Closure Route 40 - Henry Clay Township  (Well no clinching US 40 for the 4th of July)

Reminds me of the closure of US 30 in the North Versailles(?) area east of Pittsburgh to stabilize that cliffside stretch.

ixnay

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Flyer78

PennDOT has created a detailed website for improvements to US 1 in the Middletown (Delco) area at https://pa352us1delco.com/

Some major changes to the very antiquated cloverleaf interchange at PA352. Also a new ramp will be added to allow traffic heading south on Baltimore Pike to access the bypass directly, which I think will actually be useful, even if it is "out of the way" from Media to get on its own bypass.

Improvements also detailed for the US1/PA452 and PA352/PA452 interchanges.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 01, 2021, 02:34:24 PM
PennDOT - District 12 News: Ramp Closures Interstate 70 - Exit 54

Having traveled the Washington PA-New Stanton stretch of I-70 recently, it's interesting to see the contrast between the improvements made over the last decade and the unimproved sections. Once all upgrades are completed, that stretch of I-70 will be a much more enjoyable ride.

ekt8750

Quote from: Flyer78 on July 02, 2021, 11:21:03 AM
PennDOT has created a detailed website for improvements to US 1 in the Middletown (Delco) area at https://pa352us1delco.com/

Some major changes to the very antiquated cloverleaf interchange at PA352. Also a new ramp will be added to allow traffic heading south on Baltimore Pike to access the bypass directly, which I think will actually be useful, even if it is "out of the way" from Media to get on its own bypass.

That 1-352 interchange is an absolute nightmare during rush hours. I really like the idea of making it an SPUI and moving the ramps to the Media Bypass to the left lanes.

74/171FAN

Roadsguy

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 05, 2021, 11:24:49 AM

That 1-352 interchange is an absolute nightmare during rush hours. I really like the idea of making it an SPUI and moving the ramps to the Media Bypass to the left lanes.

I love how both alternatives involve technically extending the freeway.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ekt8750

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 05, 2021, 03:37:32 PM

I love how both alternatives involve technically extending the freeway.

Just a tad. It also alleviates the bottleneck caused by the lane drop at the end of the freeway. Another choke point at rush hour.

74/171FAN

PHLBOS

Having viewed the above, my preferences are as follows:

Area 1 (US 1/PA 352 & Baltimore Pike): Alternate B - the SPUI interchange for US 1/PA 352, one less signal along US 1

Area 2 (US 1/PA 452): Alternative A - Loop Road with no left turns, one less signal along US 1

Area 3 (PA 352/452): Alternative A - I'm not completely sold on the roundabout option in Alternate B.

Having given a friend of mine a ride from his home in the Glenolden area to his job at Fair Acres during the early afternoons multiple times over the past year; that ramp from 352 southbound to US 1 northbound for my return trip at/around 2:30-3 PM can be very congested.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

74/171FAN

Crown Victoria

A draft of the TROC report, due in August, is proposing eliminating the gas tax, while establishing a mileage fee, a package delivery fee, and increases to other fees related to transportation:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2021/07/14/penndot-transportation-funding-mileage-driven-fee-package-delivery-shared-rides-uber-lyft-troc/stories/202107140143

MASTERNC

Quote from: Crown Victoria on July 15, 2021, 08:47:26 AM
A draft of the TROC report, due in August, is proposing eliminating the gas tax, while establishing a mileage fee, a package delivery fee, and increases to other fees related to transportation:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2021/07/14/penndot-transportation-funding-mileage-driven-fee-package-delivery-shared-rides-uber-lyft-troc/stories/202107140143

This is going to have a hard time gaining support.  Someone driving 12k miles per year would pay nearly $1,000, on top of a value-based registration fee and an 8-10% sales tax at purchase.  What is paid with the gas tax is multiples less.  There is also a question about out-of-state vehicles (both PA vehicles driving outside PA and non-PA vehicles driving in PA).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 15, 2021, 12:05:10 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on July 15, 2021, 08:47:26 AM

This is going to have a hard time gaining support.  Someone driving 12k miles per year would pay nearly $1,000, on top of a value-based registration fee and an 8-10% sales tax at purchase.  What is paid with the gas tax is multiples less.  There is also a question about out-of-state vehicles (both PA vehicles driving outside PA and non-PA vehicles driving in PA).

With a $8 billion deficit, the point is to raise money, and someone paying more than than they do via taxes at the pump is very much the goal. 

Several other issues though is raising the money thru other means that are loosely tied with driving, or creates another "double taxation" scenario.  Any sort of delivery fee or business costs are passed onto the consumer anyway, directly or indirectly.

PA no doubt has a serious funding issue, and they really should be talking to the feds about getting more $$$, rather than constantly looking at the taxpayer to grab more money from them.

vdeane

Or admit that they can't keep subsidizing transit at the rate they currently do, or do system expansions the way they do.  There's a reason neighboring NY is in preservation mode.  The issue here is that it's not just a little more, it's a LOT more.  I drive around 15k miles/year.  That comes out to $1,215 under the mileage tax.  If we assume my Civic averages around 30 miles/gallon, it comes out to an equivalent gas tax of $2.43/gallon, or more than four times the existing gas tax.  And that's before doubling the registration fee and adding a property tax on the car.  Or the out of state issue.  I can't imagine people will be pleased to get slapped with a big bill every year.  It would have the effect of disincentivizing driving, which to certain advocates would be a feature rather than a flaw.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Crown Victoria

What we need to remember here is that, whatever the recommendations in the report, the state legislature will alter them substantially. There's no way they're going to approve $8.1 billion in new annual revenue (which is the stated gap in funding), never mind the $11.5 billion that following all the recommendations would generate long term. Act 89 of 2013 only generated about $2.5 billion annually.

One major issue facing this whole thing is the mileage tax. There needs to be a national policy of some kind regarding the collection of the tax, or at least cooperation between the states, before it can be truly viable and acceptable. With the large volume of out-of-state travelers passing through PA, we need a way to pass on the mileage tax to them, and insure that they will pay the tax.

I will add to this discussion one other point...there is a way to charge everyone per-mile being used in PA right now, regardless of where they're from, and it's got an almost 81-year track record. Had Act 44 not soured the public's mood regarding tolls, they might be one solution ready for use right now, at least on freeways.

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

It's interesting that PennDOT was saying that flashing yellow arrows would be used for new and replacement signal installations in lieu of the doghouse signals.  However, it seems, at least in District 6, they are still using doghouse setups for new installations and there are random installations of FYA.  I'm guessing it's because they need to install two new signals (a FYA assembly and a second thru signal), whereas using the doghouse covers both the turning and thru movements.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.