News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: BrianP on May 20, 2021, 11:52:21 AM
I'd be curious to see the Bus US 219 signage.  I'd assume it would be like Business US 1.

See: https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=4303.0

epzik8

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 20, 2021, 11:18:25 PM
I'd be curious to see the Bus US 219 signage.  I'd assume it would be like Business US 1.

I clicked the link and Google Chrome blocked it because of a privacy threat...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: epzik8 on May 25, 2021, 09:27:25 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 20, 2021, 11:18:25 PM

I clicked the link and Google Chrome blocked it because of a privacy threat...
You can advance to the site anyway.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Looks like there was some issue with the TM forum SSL certificate this morning.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on May 25, 2021, 04:30:08 PM
Looks like there was some issue with the TM forum SSL certificate this morning.

It is resolved now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

oscar

The TM forum doesn't have a photo of the new US 219 Business route marker. Here's one I took last Thursday, at the northern US 219/219 Business junction:

http://www.alaskaroads.com/US219Bus+US219-DSC_2852.jpg
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

MASTERNC

Looks like Maryland is having a few glitches with its E-ZPass transition.  Some of the tolls from the transition period in April just posted to my North Carolina E-ZPass account.  They charged me the Maryland E-ZPass rate instead of the non-Maryland rate.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 27, 2021, 08:20:10 AM
Looks like Maryland is having a few glitches with its E-ZPass transition.  Some of the tolls from the transition period in April just posted to my North Carolina E-ZPass account.  They charged me the Maryland E-ZPass rate instead of the non-Maryland rate.

Meanwhile, I had a toll-by-plate post to my Maryland E-ZPass account from a Bay Bridge crossing 2 months ago, even though I had already been charged for that trip before the DriveEZMD transition via my E-ZPass transponder.  Apparently I was in the middle of changing lanes under the gantry (based on the somewhat-creepy image of my entire car rather than just a zoomed-in license plate), so maybe that threw the system off somehow.

Credit where credit is due though: I used the new website's live chat feature to dispute the duplicate toll, and within minutes $4.00 (the toll-by-plate/former cash rate) was credited back onto my account.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NJRoadfan

I crossed the Bay Bridge on April 12th and it still hasn't posted on my account. My transponder is definitely working too as DE charged me for US-301 that day.

plain

Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 27, 2021, 08:47:13 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on May 27, 2021, 08:20:10 AM

Meanwhile, I had a toll-by-plate post to my Maryland E-ZPass account from a Bay Bridge crossing 2 months ago, even though I had already been charged for that trip before the DriveEZMD transition via my E-ZPass transponder.  Apparently I was in the middle of changing lanes under the gantry (based on the somewhat-creepy image of my entire car rather than just a zoomed-in license plate), so maybe that threw the system off somehow.

Credit where credit is due though: I used the new website's live chat feature to dispute the duplicate toll, and within minutes $4.00 (the toll-by-plate/former cash rate) was credited back onto my account.

That might be the fastest I've heard someone getting that settled
Newark born, Richmond bred

Stephane Dumas

Google maps did a recent update of the satellite view showing the construction progress of MD-210 at the junction of Livingston Rd. and Kirby Hill Rd.
https://goo.gl/maps/mwq6FdXJSe4dMwxc7

However, Bing Maps seems to did a recent update of the same aera. https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=71cc5518-6d60-4e8b-a2a4-72036eaaa183&cp=38.78167~-76.996211&lvl=16&style=a&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 27, 2021, 10:39:06 PM
I crossed the Bay Bridge on April 12th and it still hasn't posted on my account. My transponder is definitely working too as DE charged me for US-301 that day.

Maryland changed contractors for its toll processing and E-ZPass operations in April.  The old one was Conduent Transportation  (formerly Xerox) and the new ones are Kapsch TrafficCom USA, Inc. (toll system and services contract) and TransCore (customer service center).  I think the transition from Conduent to TransCore may have been the reason for the shut-down earlier this year.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 06, 2021, 02:50:58 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 27, 2021, 10:39:06 PM

Maryland changed contractors for its toll processing and E-ZPass operations in April.  The old one was Conduent Transportation  (formerly Xerox) and the new ones are Kapsch TrafficCom USA, Inc. (toll system and services contract) and TransCore (customer service center).  I think the transition from Conduent to TransCore may have been the reason for the shut-down earlier this year.

That would still not explain my missing US 40 Hatem Bridge toll from December, but I guess it is probably safe to say at this point that I got a free trip across it by accident.   ;-)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 06, 2021, 03:41:11 PM
That would still not explain my missing US 40 Hatem Bridge toll from December, but I guess it is probably safe to say at this point that I got a free trip across it by accident.   ;-)

I do not think MDTA collects much toll revenue there - the revenues that they do collect are not even part of the dollars pledged to pay bondholders (it's the only toll road or toll crossing where the revenues are not pledged).

It is a toll crossing mostly to deter shunpiking by commercial vehicles from northbound I-95 across the Millard Tydings Bridge nearby.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

BrianP

I-270 RAMP METER TESTING BEGINS AS PART OF INNOVATIVE CONGESTION MANAGEMENT PROJECT
QuoteThe Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) is expected to activate and test a new ramp metering system on the ramp from northbound MD 118 to southbound I-270, in the Germantown area of Montgomery County on Wednesday, June 23. This will be the first location activated in the new ramp metering system that will eventually include 22 northbound and 23 southbound I-270 ramps.
QuoteThis single location will be activated as a flashing yellow signal on or about June 16, before becoming fully operational on June 23. MDOT SHA is testing the system at this single location for one week and will then deactivate it until the entire southbound I-270 ramp metering system is activated later this year. The northbound I-270 ramp metering system is expected to be activated in 2022.
QuoteThe signal will allow one car at a time to go from each lane, optimizing traffic flow onto I-270.
How do you allow just one car to go at a time?: 

mrsman

^^^^^

This will be quite interesting to see.  Ramp metering does improve traffic, as it helps to regulate the flow at the onramps.  Other states, like CA, have had ramp metering for decades.  It basically pushes the congestion to the on-ramp, thereby sparing mainline congestion during periods of moderately heavy usage.

From the video, it seems like they will be flashing yellow when not in use.  I don't like that.  I'm used to meters being off when not in use.  I fear that there would be a little confusion since there is a flashing yellow signal to alert you that the meter is on in the first place.

frankenroad

Quote from: mrsman on June 15, 2021, 01:45:18 PM

From the video, it seems like they will be flashing yellow when not in use.  I don't like that.  I'm used to meters being off when not in use.  I fear that there would be a little confusion since there is a flashing yellow signal to alert you that the meter is on in the first place.

The ones around here are solid green when not in use. 
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

froggie

^^ On the flip side, I'm used to meters flashing yellow when not used.  That's been a long-running MnDOT standard.

Alps

Every state's different. I've seen green and I've seen off, but never flashing yellow.

MASTERNC

Quote from: frankenroad on June 15, 2021, 02:34:20 PM
Quote from: mrsman on June 15, 2021, 01:45:18 PM

The ones around here are solid green when not in use. 

PennDOT turns the ramp meters off when not in use (there is also no yellow light on those).

plain

If I remember correctly I think GDOT also turn theirs off when not in use.
Newark born, Richmond bred

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on June 16, 2021, 12:50:22 AM
Every state's different. I've seen green and I've seen off, but never flashing yellow.

The two states I am most familiar with when it comes to ramp meters are Virginia and California.  Both states leave the meters dark when they are not in use.

cpzilliacus

Maryland Department of Transportation press release: MARYLAND HITS MILESTONES ACROSS TRANSPORTATION NETWORK AS HIGHWAY, AIRPORT AND PORT NUMBERS APPROACH PRE-PANDEMIC LEVELS

QuoteWith the lifting of Maryland's pandemic-related State of Emergency by Governor Larry Hogan on July 1, Marylanders are returning to roadways, airways and other forms of travel in numbers approaching pre-pandemic levels, marking major milestones for state transportation, tourism and economic recovery.

QuoteAt the height of the pandemic, statewide highway travel fell by as much as 50% and passenger traffic at BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport dropped more than 90% as Marylanders heeded Governor Hogan's call to limit travel to help stop the spread of COVID-19. The Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) has seen many of those trends reverse with the lifting of the State of Emergency, the widespread success of COVID-19 vaccinations in Maryland, and the onset of the summer vacation season.

Quote"Marylanders are getting back to business and back to their lives with growing confidence," MDOT Secretary Greg Slater said. "The numbers we're seeing around the state reflects the strong desire of travelers to work, play and experience everything Maryland has to offer — and it also shows the demand for reliable, safe and healthy transportation options."

The Ghostbuster

I expected traffic nation-wide to eventually return to pre-pandemic levels. Anyone who thought traffic was going to be permanently decreased was dreaming.

kernals12

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.