News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Original routing of US 65 in Carroll & Livingston Co, MO

Started by Route66Fan, March 13, 2020, 06:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

Off & on, in the past 5 years, or so, I've been trying to figure out the original routing of US 65 in Carroll & Livingston Co, MO, In particular, between Tina, MO & Chillicothe, MO. From what I've figured out so far, the original (1926 to early 30's.) routing of US 65 diverges from the current alignment of US 65 at the intersection of US 65 & HWY WW, 2mi West of Tina, MO. It then followed HWY WW East to Tina, MO, then North on Pine St, which becomes CR 203. About 5mi North, the road becomes Liv 361 & then heads to the town of Avalon, MO. At Avalon, MO, the original alignment of US 65 turns West on HWY H out to the current alignment of US 65. At the current intersection of US 65 & HWY H\Liv 424, the original alignment turned North & briefly follows US 65 to where it turns Northwest, the original alignment continued straight North from there on what is now Liv 355 (Labeled as 355th in Google Earth.). It follows Liv 355 to the intersection of HWY JJ, where a small village called Cavendish, MO used to be located. It then turned West on HWY JJ & follows it to the current alignment of US 65. At US 65, the original routing continued straight West along what is now an access road into a farmers field, before intersecting with Liv 443. It then turned South on Liv 443, before turning back West on Liv 420. It then follows Liv 420 West to the intersection of HWY Z. From there, it turned North & followed HWY Z to US 65 & then on towards Chillicothe, MO. What I would like to know is when was US 65 rerouted in this area?

Map of Missouri that shows original routing of US 65 in Carroll & Livingston Co, MO.
https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/1926002_reduced%5B1%5D.pdf

Scott5114

Have you asked MoDOT? In 2007, I sent them an email requesting information about the history of Route 13 and they actually had a historian in Jeff City call me back, and he later sent me a bunch of hard-to-decipher maps that, as far as I can tell, constitute the entire history of the route, including every single maintenance project, as far as MoDOT has recorded.

Another option would be to go the route that Wikipedia often uses and do a binary search on the MoDOT map archive to find the first edition of the official state map that shows the realignment. This would suggest that the route was realigned the year before.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Route66Fan

I haven't yet tried contacting MODOT yet, but I did find these project maps.
Carroll Co, MO Project Map
Livingston Co, MO Project Map
It appears that the part from HWY Z to West of Avalon, MO was realigned by 1932 & the part from West of Avalon, MO to Tina, MO was realigned by 1934.
1932 Missouri State Highway Map
1934 Missouri State Highway Map

Scott5114

Yeah, those project maps are the kind that I got from MoDOT. The Greene County one is pretty inscrutable.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Route66Fan

They are pretty nice, however there seems to be some stuff missing on the right side of the pages.

US71

I know there's a stub south of Carrollton which my or may not be part of the original roting.

Sometimes, you have to just go for a drive and put the pieces together. At least, that's what I've been doing.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

-- US 175 --

Ever since seeing Avalon (my grandparents are buried there), I've always wondered why it had an almost-small-town-on-the-beaten-path look and feel to it, despite it being at the corner of 2 lettered roads and not on US 65.  I never would have guessed that US 65 actually did come through there for a time.  Strangely enough, decades later, the same unimproved road condition that US 65 was on south of Avalon then, is still unimproved now, including the part in front of my grandparent's cemetery.

I'd also wondered, other than proximity, why the thing that tied Avalon to Tina.  I've known that they share a consolidated school, but other than that, why?  From what I've seen on GSV (never been to Tina before except online), Tina almost has the same built-up-a-little-but-off-the-beaten-path look and feel as Avalon.  Never would have guessed that the highway that passes them by now used to link them decades ago.

This is definitely a thread I wouldn't have expected on this forum but am pleasantly surprised to see.

Route66Fan

Quote from: US71 on April 20, 2020, 12:07:37 PM
I know there's a stub south of Carrollton which my or may not be part of the original roting.

Sometimes, you have to just go for a drive and put the pieces together. At least, that's what I've been doing.
If it's the part heading South from the junction of MO 10 & South Main St, It was part of the original routing.
There is also another stretch just South of there (CR 403 & 401), near the junction of US 65\24 & HWY B. There was also once a abandoned stretch of US 65\24, even farther South of there that ran straight North of Bowdry Lake, before dead ending in a farmers field. This section once tied into the current alignment at the intersection of US 65\24 & CR 508 & 432 (CR 330 & 324 on Historic Aerials.). This abandoned stretch was completely torn out in the past 10 years, but can be seen on Historic Aerials.

Route66Fan

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on April 20, 2020, 12:57:10 PM
Ever since seeing Avalon (my grandparents are buried there), I've always wondered why it had an almost-small-town-on-the-beaten-path look and feel to it, despite it being at the corner of 2 lettered roads and not on US 65.  I never would have guessed that US 65 actually did come through there for a time.  Strangely enough, decades later, the same unimproved road condition that US 65 was on south of Avalon then, is still unimproved now, including the part in front of my grandparent's cemetery.

I'd also wondered, other than proximity, why the thing that tied Avalon to Tina.  I've known that they share a consolidated school, but other than that, why?  From what I've seen on GSV (never been to Tina before except online), Tina almost has the same built-up-a-little-but-off-the-beaten-path look and feel as Avalon.  Never would have guessed that the highway that passes them by now used to link them decades ago.

This is definitely a thread I wouldn't have expected on this forum but am pleasantly surprised to see.
According to some stuff I've seen, the alignment through Tina & Avalon was supposed to be paved in the early 30's, as an old 1930 plat map of Carroll Co, MO had it marked as a "Proposed Cement Road". For some reason, the Livingston Co, MO 1930 plat map does not show this marking.

MrManlet

Historic Aerials and Googling "Missouri Old Highway Maps" seems to be a good way to find out where old roads went. There are two stub roads south of both Carrollton and Chillicothe that were part of US-65. In fact south of the stub south of Chillicothe, you can see where old US-36 joined modern US-65 just before the river. Google Maps calls it "Liv 410"

Route66Fan

Just a little bit off topic, but I have found this article in the July 25, 1927 edition of the Chillicothe Constitution Tribune that says that US 36 from Chillicothe, MO, to Utica, MO (Including portions of US 65 from just North of Chillicothe, MO to, I'm assuming, the junction of US 65 & Liv 410.) was paved by 1927.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.