News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What states use the blue pentagon shield for county roads?

Started by KCRoadFan, September 05, 2020, 11:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was just thinking about the MUTCD blue pentagon shield for county roads, with regards to which states use it, and how common or widespread they are within that state. Here is a list of states that I know use the pentagon shield at least to some extent - at least, I'm pretty confident about that:

Alabama
Arkansas
California (some counties)
Colorado (some counties)
Florida
Illinois (a couple counties in the Chicago suburbs; not sure about downstate)
Iowa
Kansas (Douglas and Leavenworth, for sure; don't know about other counties)
Michigan (some counties)
Minnesota
Missouri (rare, but I have seen them on occasion)
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York (some counties)
Wyoming

I'm pretty sure I got those right. Anyway, have you seen the county road pentagons used in any other states aside from the ones I mentioned above?

I know that some states sign county roads differently (the circles for "fraction roads" in WV, for example, or the white squares for lettered "county trunk" highways in Wisconsin), while some other states instead have "secondary" state-maintained roads that serve a function roughly equivalent to that of county roads (states such as MT, NC, PA, TN, and VA come to mind in that regard).

froggie

Not all counties in Minnesota use the blue pentagon.  Some use the white square, while others use BOTH the blue pentagon and white square.

Louisiana is rare, but there are at least a couple parishes where I have seen blue pentagons.

There are a few counties in Mississippi where one will see the blue pentagon...namely those counties where the county decided to number their roads instead of name them.

Max Rockatansky

US 89

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=26062.0

Most counties in Utah don’t bother to number their roads. Of the ones that do, some have their own shield (Uintah, San Juan), but you’ll find blue pentagons in a few Utah counties. The most prolific use of these signs is in Duchesne County, but I’ve seen them in Daggett, Carbon, Washington, and maybe a couple others as well.

More common is the federal aid “fake pentagon” I described in the other thread, which commonly appears at the beginning or end of federal-aid routes in some rural areas of the state.

nexus73

They show up in Oregon but are not that common it seems.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

DandyDan

Minnehaha County in South Dakota uses blue pentagons. I can't begin to tell you whether anywhere else in South Dakota does, being I haven't been there since 2012.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

wanderer2575

They're seen in Michigan mostly on routes designated as part of an intercounty route system.  Several counties never designated any routes as part of the system and a lot of any existing signing is old and neglected; the state does not contribute any funds to the counties to maintain signage, but designated routes still are shown on the official state map.  Route numbers are a letter-number combination, with the letter corresponding to a section of the state.

Most other county route markers are black-on-white rectangular shields, although there are some that use pentagon shields.  You can tell the latter are not part of the intercounty system because the route numbers don't include a letter.

webny99

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 05, 2020, 11:51:31 PM
New York (some counties)

That's accurate.
To my knowledge, there are no counties in New York that use any other county route signage besides the blue pentagon. It's either the blue pentagon, or unsigned.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana does not use them, but the Toll Road uses it on signs for the CR 17 exit in Elkhart County.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on September 06, 2020, 11:12:57 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 05, 2020, 11:51:31 PM
New York (some counties)

That's accurate.
To my knowledge, there are no counties in New York that use any other county route signage besides the blue pentagon. It's either the blue pentagon, or unsigned.
Depends on what you count as "unsigned".  In Ontario County, the roads have no other official name, so they're signed on street blades as "County Route #".  Other counties also mention the county route numbers on street blade signs, including Schenectady County.

Until a few years ago, Franklin County used squares.  Ulster, Orange, and Erie Counties also used to have their own shields.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GaryV

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 06, 2020, 10:58:11 AM
They're seen in Michigan mostly on routes designated as part of an intercounty route system.  Several counties never designated any routes as part of the system and a lot of any existing signing is old and neglected; the state does not contribute any funds to the counties to maintain signage, but designated routes still are shown on the official state map.  Route numbers are a letter-number combination, with the letter corresponding to a section of the state.

Most other county route markers are black-on-white rectangular shields, although there are some that use pentagon shields.  You can tell the latter are not part of the intercounty system because the route numbers don't include a letter.

Here's a real interesting county pentagon in Otsego County, Michigan:  https://www.google.com/maps/@45.1846888,-84.6727284,3a,22.1y,230.01h,87.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1su3xradV8y_plI2Jot0bj5A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

It's north of Vanderbilt on Old US 27, just south of the C-28 intercounty highway intersection.

Scott5114

The only numbered county route I know of in Oklahoma is Ottawa CR 137 (old SH-137), which is not signed with a pentagon. For the most part, county roads in Oklahoma form a grid that are named/numbered like regular urban streets, and signed as such.

There are some county pentagons in Oklahoma, though–but they're used as parking signs outside the Logan County Courthouse! Clearly they had some reason to order some blank pentagons for some reason, that got repurposed into these, but why?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ftballfan

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 06, 2020, 10:58:11 AM

Benzie County, which isn't part of the intercounty system, switched from a white-on-green square (as seen on Karlin Rd (CR 700) in 2009) to the blue pentagon (as seen on Joyfield Rd (CR 602) in 2015). Side note: there is a loose grid of county routes (mostly in the 600s) in Antrim, Benzie, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, and Leelanau counties.

tdindy88

Speaking of Michigan, I came across this white pentagon highway shield in Marquette yesterday. It's in the far left part of the picture.

STLmapboy

Missouri has a few on US-67 north of Poplar Bluff. Other times, the lettered routes do the job just fine.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

bulldog1979

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 06, 2020, 10:08:03 PM
Speaking of Michigan, I came across this white pentagon highway shield in Marquette yesterday. It's in the far left part of the picture.

Marquette County uses black and white squares. MDOT has done some work around here the past few years, and either they (or a contractor) has put up pentagons. CR 545 off M-94 on the east side of KI Sawyer has blue and yellow pentagons, while the CR 492 signs off US 41/M-28  in Negaunee and Marquette Township are those black and white pentagons.

Bickendan

Quote from: nexus73 on September 06, 2020, 01:48:13 AM
They show up in Oregon but are not that common it seems.

Rick
I think Douglas County's the only one I've seen using them.

GaryA

In Nevada, it's used for the county-maintained part of the 215 beltway ("CC-215", for Clark County).  I don't know whether there are any other county highways in Nevada.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2020, 01:26:52 AM
I've seen them from time to time in Arizona.

Yavapai, Mohave, and Coconino Counties use them.  Maricopa and Pinal Counties do not, although some Maricopa County highways have numbers, such as MC 85 being the former AZ 85 prior to I-10 being completed.  MC 238 is another.  It's the part of what should eventually become AZ 238 that's in Maricopa County between the county line and Gila Bend (I think negotiations with ADOT are still ongoing, although the road has finally been paved, AFAIK).  Neither are signed with a blue pentagon or anything else.

Not sure about the other counties. 
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

CoreySamson

Brazoria County in Texas installed some pentagons when they rebuilt and extended CR 220 around 7 years ago:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1242927,-95.4304217,3a,26.1y,59.9h,89.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTCA73-dJxlaZc50g4ahFGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The odd thing is Brazoria County normally uses a different county shield, a green square which looks like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1732724,-95.4384028,3a,15y,340.96h,86.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdSBUp5G0WMfQ-_LUwpVGtA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

From what I've seen, no other green squares around the county have been replaced with pentagons since they rebuilt CR 220, so I'm wondering if this is a contractor error. Of course it may just be that the CR 220 shields were the only ones needing replacement. I'll see if I can find any other pentagons to see if this is a county-wide thing.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Katavia

North Carolina doesn't have county routes, but Charlotte does have City Route 4 - it's a route signed with a green pentagon with the city "crown" logo at the top, replacing any "County" notation.

(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

Avalanchez71

I have seen the county pentagons in Tennessee in Meigs County and in Polk County.  I think there may be some in McMinn County as well.  They only seem to be at the intersection of the main highway and act more like sign blades.

machias

I've seen them away from Chicagoland in Illinois, Livingston County comes to mind.

paulthemapguy

Illinois counties that use the blue pentagon include Winnebago, McHenry, Lake, DuPage, Kane (inconsistently), DeKalb (starting recently), Kendall (starting last year), Kankakee, Iroquois, Livingston, McLean, Logan, Macon, McDonough, Knox, Peoria, Woodford, LaSalle, Bureau, Rock Island (who uses letters instead of numbers like Wisconsin), Henry, St. Clair, Sangamon, Champaign, Vermilion, Piatt, Douglas, Coles, Edgar, Fayette, Effingham, Clinton, Christian, Cumberland, Mason, Menard and DeWitt.  See Bill Burmaster's page.

(Clay County uses the white square like some places in Minnesota.)
Edit: Forgot to mention Warren, and forgot to mention Cook (sporadically).
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Also in Warren and McDonough sporadically. Schylur  used really nice city type road signs. Most counties use little city like road signs with the 911 numbers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.