News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2021 meets

Started by A.J. Bertin, October 01, 2020, 09:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Duke87 on October 19, 2020, 01:10:24 AM
Meanwhile it seems that within the northeast at least, road meet culture has been sort of slowly dying off - meets have been hosted just about everywhere there is enough of interest to host one, and the group of regular attendees has gotten to know each other well enough that we don't really need road meets to get us together anymore, we just meet up and socialize as friends generically.

While I agree with you that we don't need road meets anymore to get together and socialize, I disagree with the idea that road meet culture is dying off.  Have you looked at the growing list of road meets that are being proposed for 2021?  Road meets are still very much alive and well... even in the midst of a pandemic.  Many of us in the road-enthusiast community still enjoy attending road meets, and there are always new ideas of locations that are being considered/announced... even if those locations aren't of interest to every road enthusiast.
-A.J. from Michigan

Duke87

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 19, 2020, 07:28:26 PM
While I agree with you that we don't need road meets anymore to get together and socialize, I disagree with the idea that road meet culture is dying off.  Have you looked at the growing list of road meets that are being proposed for 2021?  Road meets are still very much alive and well... even in the midst of a pandemic.  Many of us in the road-enthusiast community still enjoy attending road meets, and there are always new ideas of locations that are being considered/announced... even if those locations aren't of interest to every road enthusiast.

Right well there's a reason I specified "in the Northeast". In the first half of the 2010s there were reliably 4-5 meets in the northeast every year. That has since dwindled to 1-2 in the past few years. Meets are still happening, sure, but the median location of them has moved south and west.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 19, 2020, 09:18:27 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 19, 2020, 07:28:26 PM

Right well there's a reason I specified "in the Northeast". In the first half of the 2010s there were reliably 4-5 meets in the northeast every year. That has since dwindled to 1-2 in the past few years. Meets are still happening, sure, but the median location of them has moved south and west.
We mostly know each other in the Northeast. We now tend to just get together in groups instead of having meets. We've met.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2020, 12:41:28 AM
We mostly know each other in the Northeast. We now tend to just get together in groups instead of having meets. We've met.

That. We have a couple official meets every year to bring in new people, but we normally just get together on our own time. Pre-COVID, a bunch of us were getting together quite frequently. There's also the issue of "we've had a meet almost everywhere in the Northeast and there is little new construction to look at". Most of the places worth having meets right now are not in the Northeast.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Those of us from the MTR days will remember Calrog's rants about territoriality, and thus the creation of the East Coast Hive Mind logo and merchandise by C.C. "Otto Yamamoto" Slater. Those shirts were often worn by meet attendees.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Desert Man

A mass zoom roadgeek meetup in the pandemic would do...besides, I'm on a tight budget to go on any traveling in the next year or two. I would go to a West coast-southwest-(Southern CA) road meet wherever there is one planned. I've been an AA roads forum member for 9 years (almost a decade) and I desired to attend the nearest road meet, but I never had the time or money to do so. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

roadwaywiz95

Not a "roadmeet" announcement, but my YouTube channel will be hosting a 2nd season of *live* programming beginning in December and likely lasting into March of '21. Depending on how things go, there could be room for another "Virtual Road Meet" of some kind - we did our own meet along those lines back in May as part of the March-May "Season 1", samples of this past season can be accessed by clicking on the links below:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Brandon

Quote from: Desert Man on October 26, 2020, 11:33:46 AM
A mass zoom roadgeek meetup in the pandemic would do...besides, I'm on a tight budget to go on any traveling in the next year or two. I would go to a West coast-southwest-(Southern CA) road meet wherever there is one planned. I've been an AA roads forum member for 9 years (almost a decade) and I desired to attend the nearest road meet, but I never had the time or money to do so. 

Personally, I think an LA meet could be fun.  There's a lot of very interesting things roadgeek-wise from what I've seen on Google streetview.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brandon on October 29, 2020, 07:06:08 PM
Quote from: Desert Man on October 26, 2020, 11:33:46 AM

Personally, I think an LA meet could be fun.  There's a lot of very interesting things roadgeek-wise from what I've seen on Google streetview.

And within reach of something I could do on a day trip/weekend trip, the Bay Area too.  If I have enough notice I'm usually cool with at least 3.5-4 hours out to meet up with people for mini meets. 

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on October 29, 2020, 07:06:08 PM

I agree.  I am fascinated by L.A.'s freeway network and would love to take a few days to explore that.  However, I'm not sure how realistic it is that I would actually be able to go there for a road meet.  :(
-A.J. from Michigan

roadfro

I echo the sentiments about a west coast meet. I've been a roadgeek all my life, but never been to a meet. But I've lived in Nevada my entire life (born in Vegas, live in Reno),  and it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of roadgeeks in the Silver State. So with most meets tending to happen in the east or midwest, I haven't had occasion to go to one.

If a meetup were to happen in Nevada or California, especially Reno area or NorCal, I'd do my best to go. Ditto if one were happening Vegas and it coincided with a work or family visit trip. SoCal is a bit more challenging logistically, but I'd be interested nonetheless.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SSOWorld

I was part of a "Historic tour of US 99 in LA" in 2013 when I was assigned there by work.  The other attendees were all from San Diego.

Thinking when the pandemic is conquered this can be another option for a meet.  I would not have the ability to scout it should I try to host it, but I've already got advance info on select spots around the area (subject to change given it's 7 years to this post)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 01, 2020, 02:01:00 PM
I was part of a "Historic tour of US 99 in LA" in 2013 when I was assigned there by work.  The other attendees were all from San Diego.

Thinking when the pandemic is conquered this can be another option for a meet.  I would not have the ability to scout it should I try to host it, but I've already got advance info on select spots around the area (subject to change given it's 7 years to this post)

As long as it doesn't involve the Ridge Route Preservation group I'm always up for US 99 anything in SoCal.  The Old Ridge Route and Ridge Route Alternate (both US 99) in particular would probably make for some really cool day trip road meet material.  Everything north from Beale's Cut/Newhall Pass to Grapevine Village is pretty significant historically.

Alps

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 01, 2020, 02:18:42 PM

As long as it doesn't involve the Ridge Route Preservation group I'm always up for US 99 anything in SoCal.  The Old Ridge Route and Ridge Route Alternate (both US 99) in particular would probably make for some really cool day trip road meet material.  Everything north from Beale's Cut/Newhall Pass to Grapevine Village is pretty significant historically.
?? The Ridge Route group got me onto the road for a personal tour.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on November 01, 2020, 07:02:52 PM

Not to go into full details but was a disagreement a couple years back between me and their organization president that turned me off to their group.  What made it worse was that I wanted to work the situation out but the other party made it very clear they were not interested.  I even made a back channel attempt to settle everything through mutual friends to no avail.  Another member of their organization even went as far as spamming the Gribblenation Facebook page.

The spat caused by their president on numerous Facebook groups this year only affirmed that it was best for me to not get involved with them in any capacity.  I should note that they have done a lot for promoting the Old Ridge Route and attempting to get Los Padres National Forest reopen it.  For my part, I don't need their assistance in visiting any part of the Ridge Route (given I'm more or less local) or researching it's history (in addition to El Camino Viejo, I-5, Ridge Route Alternate, and the Stockton-Los Angeles Road).   I wouldn't discourage anyone from taking a tour since I've heard great things about it, visiting their website, or anything of the like.  I would even highly recommend reading Harrison Scott's book "The Ridge Route"  if one were inclined to learn more about the subject. 

Alps

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 01, 2020, 07:16:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 01, 2020, 07:02:52 PM

Not to go into full details but was a disagreement a couple years back between me and their organization president that turned me off to their group.  What made it worse was that I wanted to work the situation out but the other party made it very clear they were not interested.  I even made a back channel attempt to settle everything through mutual friends to no avail.  Another member of their organization even went as far as spamming the Gribblenation Facebook page.

The spat caused by their president on numerous Facebook groups this year only affirmed that it was best for me to not get involved with them in any capacity.  I should note that they have done a lot for promoting the Old Ridge Route and attempting to get Los Padres National Forest reopen it.  For my part, I don't need their assistance in visiting any part of the Ridge Route (given I'm more or less local) or researching it's history (in addition to El Camino Viejo, I-5, Ridge Route Alternate, and the Stockton-Los Angeles Road).   I wouldn't discourage anyone from taking a tour since I've heard great things about it, visiting their website, or anything of the like.  I would even highly recommend reading Harrison Scott's book "The Ridge Route"  if one were inclined to learn more about the subject. 
Understood. I may be conflating more than one person with access.

jpi

Happy New Year everyone. I will admit I have been quiet on here but then my regular job has been busy and I am not on my laptop as much. I am eyeing up spring 2022 for another central Pennsylvania based road meet with the spotlight on the Shrewsbury DD Interchange, a relocation of PA 214 in nearby Loganville (it was actually done over 10 years ago) and checking out the oldest active railroad tunnel in the USA. I am also eyeing up the Bellefont area near State Collage for the new freeway to freeway I-80\ I-99 Interchange. Just waiting to see how things pan out over the next year.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kevinb1994

Quote from: jpi on January 03, 2021, 01:51:56 PM
Happy New Year everyone. I will admit I have been quiet on here but then my regular job has been busy and I am not on my laptop as much. I am eyeing up spring 2022 for another central Pennsylvania based road meet with the spotlight on the Shrewsbury DD Interchange, a relocation of PA 214 in nearby Loganville (it was actually done over 10 years ago) and checking out the oldest active railroad tunnel in the USA. I am also eyeing up the Bellefont area near State Collage for the new freeway to freeway I-80\ I-99 Interchange. Just waiting to see how things pan out over the next year.
If it's the Bellefonte area near State College, then I am out. I may be able to make it to Central PA, depending on more than one variable. We shall see, of course.

74/171FAN

Happy New Year everyone. I will admit I have been quiet on here but then my regular job has been busy and I am not on my laptop as much. I am eyeing up spring 2022 for another central Pennsylvania based road meet with the spotlight on the Shrewsbury DD Interchange, a relocation of PA 214 in nearby Loganville (it was actually done over 10 years ago) and checking out the oldest active railroad tunnel in the USA. I am also eyeing up the Bellefonte area near State Collage for the new freeway to freeway I-80\ I-99 Interchange. Just waiting to see how things pan out over the next year.

I was planning to drive through Shrewsbury as early as this upcoming Saturday due to a traffic shift happening there on PA 851 this week
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

A.J. Bertin

That's cool, Jason!  I might be interested in attending a meet in the Bellefonte/State College area if that happens and if I can swing it.  :)
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

My attendance for either of these is 100% dependent on where I end up this coming fall, but if I stay in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, I'm a near lock for either of these. Shrewsbury would be easy daytrip range if I were to end up in Metro DC (probably the most likely landing spot), but both would be an easy weekend trip from anywhere between Richmond and Boston.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

adkchappy

Newbie to this thread and longtime roadgeek here! Always interested in road-related events in Central PA (where I am currently located).

kevinb1994

Quote from: adkchappy on January 17, 2021, 02:24:53 PM
Newbie to this thread and longtime roadgeek here! Always interested in road-related events in Central PA (where I am currently located).
Greetings from NEFL!

dvferyance

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 04, 2020, 09:18:03 AM
Quote from: Brandon on October 04, 2020, 02:11:18 AM
Sometime during the summer, the Quad Cities with the new I-74 bridges as the main course.

Sweet... I'll be very interested in this one.  I'll add this to the list now.
If there is a QC road meet you can count me in. I would like to go back there sometime.

Brandon

Quote from: dvferyance on January 19, 2021, 08:03:32 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 04, 2020, 09:18:03 AM
Quote from: Brandon on October 04, 2020, 02:11:18 AM
Sometime during the summer, the Quad Cities with the new I-74 bridges as the main course.

Sweet... I'll be very interested in this one.  I'll add this to the list now.
If there is a QC road meet you can count me in. I would like to go back there sometime.

I'm in the midst of planning the route with lunch being a BYOL affair at Credit Island Park in Davenport.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.