What's the closest major city to where you live that you have never been to?

Started by silverback1065, October 18, 2020, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

If we are measuring by not stepping foot or driving through in ANY form:

Closest city > 100K that I have not stepped foot in: Corona, California at 169K (422 miles)

Closest city > 250K/500K: Tijuana at 1.6 million (520 miles)

---

If it is counted specifically by stepping foot within city limits (and not merely driving through), Santa Ana at 332K is 409 miles from home.
Chris Sampang

sbeaver44

Greater than 500K: Boston, 396
Between 250-500K: Raleigh, 387
Between 100-250K: Newport News, 281

plain

Looks like my answer is Jacksonville, FL at just under 600 miles
Newark born, Richmond bred

DJDBVT

Love2drive

Depending on your definition of Major.   Pittsburgh (about 7 hours away) or Virginia Beach (4 hours)

Bickendan

Yakima, followed by Victoria, Kelowna, Pocatello, Caspar, Cheyenne, then Denver for the dominant seventh.

ztonyg

I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

The closest major city I have never been to is Salt Lake City, UT at 663 miles.

StogieGuy7

Closest small city that I've never visited: St. Cloud, MN (417 mi)
Closest mid-sized city I've never visited: Evansville, IN (357 mi)
Closest major city I've never visited is: New Orleans, LA (987 mi)

The only other major US cities that I've never visited are Baton Rouge, Seattle and (oddly) Austin, TX.  I've been to Texas dozens (if not hundreds) of times yet Austin has eluded me. 

ilpt4u

Pretty sure mine is Little Rock, Arkansas - the Future I-57 connection, at about 260 miles, for cities over 100K pop

gonealookin

I've been all over the Pacific and Mountain time zones but looking around there are a few conspicuous misses:

Spokane WA (817 miles) -- although I've been to Pullman for college football.
Vancouver BC (901 miles) -- sort of inexcusable; I've been to Seattle plenty and as far up as North Cascades National Park but don't think I've ever crossed the border at Blaine.
Albuquerque NM (1012 miles)

Terry Shea

Quote from: I-55 on October 20, 2020, 12:46:49 AM
Quote from: Terry Shea on October 19, 2020, 05:07:21 PM
I live in Grand Rapids, MI.  If 100,000 is the criteria then I believe the closest city I haven't been to would be Peoria, IL, which bare qualifies.  Looks to be about 250 miles away.
Exactly.
For cities above 100k Peoria would be my closest.

And I can't see any reason I would be there.

Flint1979

I think it's Kansas City but I'm not sure if there is one closer.

hobsini2

Well since I am not sure of the parameters of what constitutes a major city for this, I will use 75k as a pop threshold and use the cardinal directions.
Eastish - Grand Rapids 200 mi
Southish - Jackson, Miss 743 mi
Westish - Colorado Springs 1,013 mi
Northish - Duluth 475 mi
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

MCRoads

Depends on your definition. Cheyenne WY is the closest small city I haven't been to, Grand Junction, CO is the closest medium city I haven't been to, and SLC is the nearest large city I haven't been to.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kernals12

I currently live near Boston but I've never been to Springfield. D'oh!

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on October 24, 2020, 10:51:12 PM
I currently live near Boston but I've never been to Springfield. D'oh!
Springfield is now Biff's Hill Valley, with MGM taking up the middle of it.  It will remain that dark place that we do not go to.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TEG24601

Salem, OR or SLC, UT (proper).

As many times as I've driven cross-country on I-84/I-80, I have never been into SLC proper.  And I have had zero reasons to drive I-5 between Willsonville and... Oceanside.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

on_wisconsin

Off the top of my head, St. Louis and Winnipeg are ones that stand out...
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

jmd41280

Going by straight-line distances, mine would be Columbus, OH (166 miles). The runners up would be London, ON (201 miles) and Toledo, OH (207 miles).

Going by driving distances, mine would still be Columbus, OH (182 miles/2hr 49min). Runners up would be Dayton, OH (253 miles/3hr 54min) and Toledo, OH (271 miles/4hr 31min).

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

hobsini2

kkt

Depends what you mean by "major" but I'd go with Calgary offhand.

amroad17

Las Vegas (US).  Montreal (Canada).

When I drove for an expedited trucking company out of Cincinnati, I was afforded the chance to deliver/pickup/drive through many major cities in the US and to Toronto before 2001.  I, however, never had the chance to go to Las Vegas.  The closest I was to Las Vegas was on I-40 near Kingman, AZ.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.