Have you ever seen a traffic light with all three green arrows at once?

Started by KCRoadFan, January 15, 2021, 12:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: fwydriver405 on February 04, 2021, 12:30:09 PM
Quote from: roadfro on February 04, 2021, 11:20:28 AM
I'm curious for this example (1) why a straight arrow was used overhead, and (2) if the right turn arrow still comes on when the walk signal is on for the crosswalk (which would be a conflict).

In most NH intersections, like the one that was linked, the pedestrian phase is usually exclusive ped phase.

Indeed, this signal does use an exclusive ped phase.

Quote from: fwydriver405 on February 04, 2021, 12:30:09 PM
A few more I know of...

Massachusetts: Boston at Washington St, Cambridge at the O'Brien Hwy, Cambridge at Galileo Galilei Way (notice that there is only 1 thru head)

How the hell did I not think of these. For years my commute took me through two of those signals!
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

PurdueBill

I have meant a couple times going through the general area in the past month to get an actual photo of this one but have managed to forget so I will just post the street view:
https://goo.gl/maps/Gr7x28yDvB61omWW9
(The lane configuration here has changed over time, as Tallmadge Ave to the west was dieted down to one lane and before that there was a two-lane left turn and a doghouse in the middle, and this mast arm assembly and another at the corner 10 years ago were bare metal ones with luminaries too, which was nice--the intersection is noticeably dark now which sucks considering how close it is to the high school.)

deathtopumpkins

One more from New Hampshire that I drive through so often I forgot about it:
https://goo.gl/maps/F3HMRC2kDEN9ixoz5 westbound offramp from the Circumferential Hwy to DW Hwy in Nashua
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadfro

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 05, 2021, 01:03:26 AM
I have meant a couple times going through the general area in the past month to get an actual photo of this one but have managed to forget so I will just post the street view:
(The lane configuration here has changed over time, as Tallmadge Ave to the west was dieted down to one lane and before that there was a two-lane left turn and a doghouse in the middle, and this mast arm assembly and another at the corner 10 years ago were bare metal ones with luminaries too, which was nice--the intersection is noticeably dark now which sucks considering how close it is to the high school.)

Right turn arrow has adjacent sign "turning traffic yield to pedestrians", and there's a signalized pedestrian crossing. That right turn arrow should not be an arrow...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on March 06, 2021, 01:49:49 PM

Right turn arrow has adjacent sign "turning traffic yield to pedestrians", and there's a signalized pedestrian crossing. That right turn arrow should not be an arrow...

I thought maybe it was a part-time flashing yellow arrow activated only by clicking the ADA button ... nope. Jesus.

PurdueBill

Quote from: jakeroot on March 06, 2021, 02:29:04 PM

I thought maybe it was a part-time flashing yellow arrow activated only by clicking the ADA button ... nope. Jesus.

Why, with it being a split phase, they don't just use what was there before is beyond me.  If you look at older views, you can see that it once had left arrow, doghouse, and circular.  They went nuts changing everything to arrows when the lanes were reassigned and there was no need and indeed in fact now there are two problems--only one signal for thru (when before there were two circles), and the arrow crossing the WALK signal.  Both were created by the arrow mania. 

jakeroot

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 06, 2021, 09:32:14 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 06, 2021, 02:29:04 PM

Why, with it being a split phase, they don't just use what was there before is beyond me.  If you look at older views, you can see that it once had left arrow, doghouse, and circular.  They went nuts changing everything to arrows when the lanes were reassigned and there was no need and indeed in fact now there are two problems--only one signal for thru (when before there were two circles), and the arrow crossing the WALK signal.  Both were created by the arrow mania.

Yep, for sure. Their change was completely insane. Someone needs to contact them because (A) their installation is not compliant with the 2009 MUTCD requiring two through signals (as you mention), and (B) the green arrow showing while the walk sign is active is extremely dangerous.

If I had to suggest a change, it would be to change the right-most signal to all circular indications. Super easy.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.