News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Beltway 8?

Started by ethanhopkin14, February 16, 2021, 12:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

I tried researching this topic here and other places, and can't seem to  find a topic on this.  Does anyone know why the BELTWAY moniker was chosen for Beltway 8 and not, say Loop 8?

Bobby5280

Quote from: ethanhopkin14I tried researching this topic here and other places, and can't seem to  find a topic on this.  Does anyone know why the BELTWAY moniker was chosen for Beltway 8 and not, say Loop 8?

In the field, the beltway is signed mostly as the Sam Houston Tollway. There are some text-based street name signs that refer to it as the Sam Houston Parkway. There are some Beltway 8 signs on posts at frontage road intersections as well as some reassurance post signs along frontage roads flanking the Sam Houston Tollway. The Beltway 8 thing almost seems like a nickname really, one that I think is unique for this loop route in Texas. I do think it would have been more appropriate to apply "Loop 8" to the free frontage roads. The term "Beltway" is more applicable to a super highway, not frontage roads next to a super highway.

kphoger

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 16, 2021, 06:03:42 PM
In the field, the beltway is signed mostly as the Sam Houston Tollway. There are some text-based street name signs that refer to it as the Sam Houston Parkway. There are some Beltway 8 signs on posts at frontage road intersections as well as some reassurance post signs along frontage roads flanking the Sam Houston Tollway. The Beltway 8 thing almost seems like a nickname really, one that I think is unique for this loop route in Texas. I do think it would have been more appropriate to apply "Loop 8" to the free frontage roads. The term "Beltway" is more applicable to a super highway, not frontage roads next to a super highway.

The free sections are signed as Beltway-8.

example
example
example
example
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 16, 2021, 12:58:33 PM
I tried researching this topic here and other places, and can't seem to  find a topic on this.  Does anyone know why the BELTWAY moniker was chosen for Beltway 8 and not, say Loop 8?

http://dallasfreeways.com/dfwfreeways/pdf/BW8_150ppi.pdf

"Beltway 8 had its origins in a 1952 report by the City of Houston Planning Department, Proposed Location for An Outer Belt Drive for Metropolitan Houston".

The "Belt" monikor originated in the the 1952 report and was retained. The 1952 proposal probably used the "Outer Belt" name to clearly differentiate it from the Loop 610, which was still in the planning mode in 1952.

The Outer Belt was a Harris County project but by the late 1960s Harris County realized it did not have the resources to complete the project, so TxDOT took it over in 1969, designating it at Beltway 8.

"Responding to requests from local officials, the Texas Transportation Commission officially adopted the Outer Belt into the state highway system on March 7, 1969. In July 1969, the Outer Belt was officially designated as Beltway 8."

The frontage roads are Beltway 8 and are also designated as the Sam Houston Parkway, which is used by most addresses along the road. Most of the main lanes are tolled and are known as the Sam Houston Tollway. So along most of the route, all three designations apply.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Road Hog

In the same vein, I expect the Collin County Outer Loop to be named such in Denton, Hunt, Rockwall, Dallas and Ellis counties ultimately upon completion.

wxfree

It was originally Loop 8 for a few months.  The response to local requests is described in Minute Order 62581:
"WHEREAS, in HARRIS COUNTY the Highway Commission by Minute Order 62067 dated March 7, 1969, designated an OUTER LOOP  extending from a point on Interstate Highway 45, north of the City of Houston, in an easterly direction south of the Houston Intercontinental Airport, southerly across the Houston Ship Channel west, north and east to the point of beginning, a distance of approximately 87.5 miles, subject to the acceptance of the appropriate officials of Harris County; and WHEREAS, the provisions of this Minute Order have been accepted by the officials of Harris County; and WHEREAS, this proposed highway loop from its inception has been referred to by the local residents as the Outer Belt and portions of this proposed highway have been designated by the County as East Belt or North Belt, etc.
NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED that this proposed outer loop be redesignated and officially referred to in Highway Department records as BELTWAY NO. 8."

https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003676684.pdf

Note: The text is copied and pasted from a scanned PDF file.  It said "07.5 miles" and I noticed that and changed it to what it actually says.  There may be other errors in the scanned image to text translation.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

kphoger

Quote from: wxfree on February 16, 2021, 11:15:05 PM
It was originally Loop 8 for a few months.  The response to local requests is described in Minute Order 62581:
"WHEREAS, in HARRIS COUNTY the Highway Commission by Minute Order 62067 dated March 7, 1969, designated an OUTER LOOP  extending from a point on Interstate Highway 45, north of the City of Houston, in an easterly direction south of the Houston Intercontinental Airport, southerly across the Houston Ship Channel west, north and east to the point of beginning, a distance of approximately 87.5 miles, subject to the acceptance of the appropriate officials of Harris County; and WHEREAS, the provisions of this Minute Order have been accepted by the officials of Harris County; and WHEREAS, this proposed highway loop from its inception has been referred to by the local residents as the Outer Belt and portions of this proposed highway have been designated by the County as East Belt or North Belt, etc.
NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED that this proposed outer loop be redesignated and officially referred to in Highway Department records as BELTWAY NO. 8."

https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/003676684.pdf

Note: The text is copied and pasted from a scanned PDF file.  It said "07.5 miles" and I noticed that and changed it to what it actually says.  There may be other errors in the scanned image to text translation.

And yet, despite that, the designation file still calls it "LOOP" . . .  :spin:

Quote from: Texas Department of Transportation – Highway Designation Files
STATE HIGHWAY LOOP NO. 8

Minute Order 016701, dated 09/26/1939
Beaumont Loop - From a point on US 59 at the intersection of Gladys and Gulf Sts in Beaumont, to a point on US 90 at the intersection of College and Fourth Sts in Beaumont following Gulf, North, and Fourth Sts.  (Jefferson County)  General redescription of Highway System.

Minute Order 020381, dated 01/18/1944
Cancelled.

Minute Order 062067, dated 05/07/1969; Adm. Cir. 035-1969, dated 06/01/1969
Houston Loop - From IH 45 north of Houston, eastward, passing south of the Houston Intercontinental Airport, southward across the Houston Ship Channel, thence westward, northward, and eastward to the point of beginning.  (Harris County)  New Designation.

Minute Order 062581, dated 07/31/1969; Adm. Cir. 062-1969, dated 08/15/1969
No change in description.  (Harris County)  Designation changed from Loop to Beltway.

Minute Order 074671, dated 07/24/1978; Adm. Ltr. 009-1978, dated 09/15/1978
From SH 225 east of Houston, southward, westward, northward, and eastward passing south of the Houston Intercontinental Airport; thence southward to IH 10 east of Houston.  (Harris County)  New description; section from IH 10 southward to SH 225 cancelled.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

My question is why BELTWAY and not LOOP like every other Loop state highway in the state?  Basically what I am reading is people called it a beltway so they called it Beltway 8.  That's a crappy reason because many loop routes in the state have been called a beltway and still the highway on them is designated LOOP XX.  If that were the case then there should be many BELTWAYS in the Texas system, yet there is only one.  To clarify, the route and shield is called BELTWAY 8.  I am talking the frontage roads and the free sections.  I am not talking the Sam Houston Parkway, which are the main toll lanes.   BELTWAY 8 is an official designation, not a nickname.  It shows up in the list of Texas State Highway Loops, so again, why a different name, but it be considered the same type of road?

The fact it was called outer belt to differentiate it from the inner belt and that's why it got BELTWAY to me is another stupid reason, like Texas justifying not making a route an interstate citing building miles of frontage roads being an issue.  It didn't stop you on the other 3,000 miles.  I guess yeah, I got the answer, but it's another case of someone making a special case for something, making it seem like its a special case, but in reality it's one of 1,000 different cases exactly like it, but we handled it 999 times one way and then once another way. 

There are There are other situations that bug me.  Why Texas State Highway NASA ROAD 1?  Why is NASA ROAD part of the "number"?  I mean, you have a consistent State Highway system signed consistently, yet this one is signed and referenced differently for some reason? 

Why the endless amount of Farm to Market roads signed as Ranch to Market or Ranch Road?  Why is it such a big deal to have only one Ranch Road in the system, yet have shields all over the state say Ranch Road.  I wouldn't care if it Texas didn't make such a big deal about it.  If its such a big deal, fix all the other signs.  Why do they differentiate between Farm to Market and Ranch to Market?  The numbers come from the same pool, so there shouldn't be a difference.  To me the explanations for these questions will probably land on some lame reason that there was an exception for something here that happens all over the place, when the real reason is they are error shields. 

TXtoNJ

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 17, 2021, 10:24:32 AM
My question is why BELTWAY and not LOOP like every other Loop state highway in the state?  Basically what I am reading is people called it a beltway so they called it Beltway 8.  That's a crappy reason because many loop routes in the state have been called a beltway and still the highway on them is designated LOOP XX.  If that were the case then there should be many BELTWAYS in the Texas system, yet there is only one.  To clarify, the route and shield is called BELTWAY 8.  I am talking the frontage roads and the free sections.  I am not talking the Sam Houston Parkway, which are the main toll lanes.   BELTWAY 8 is an official designation, not a nickname.  It shows up in the list of Texas State Highway Loops, so again, why a different name, but it be considered the same type of road?

The fact it was called outer belt to differentiate it from the inner belt and that's why it got BELTWAY to me is another stupid reason, like Texas justifying not making a route an interstate citing building miles of frontage roads being an issue.  It didn't stop you on the other 3,000 miles.  I guess yeah, I got the answer, but it's another case of someone making a special case for something, making it seem like its a special case, but in reality it's one of 1,000 different cases exactly like it, but we handled it 999 times one way and then once another way. 

There are There are other situations that bug me.  Why Texas State Highway NASA ROAD 1?  Why is NASA ROAD part of the "number"?  I mean, you have a consistent State Highway system signed consistently, yet this one is signed and referenced differently for some reason? 

Why the endless amount of Farm to Market roads signed as Ranch to Market or Ranch Road?  Why is it such a big deal to have only one Ranch Road in the system, yet have shields all over the state say Ranch Road.  I wouldn't care if it Texas didn't make such a big deal about it.  If its such a big deal, fix all the other signs.  Why do they differentiate between Farm to Market and Ranch to Market?  The numbers come from the same pool, so there shouldn't be a difference.  To me the explanations for these questions will probably land on some lame reason that there was an exception for something here that happens all over the place, when the real reason is they are error shields. 

Because normies don't care about this stuff

Scott5114

Political reasons. Agriculture people in the area where RMs are posted identify as "ranchers" and not "farmers" and get whiny if you call them farmers. Likewise when they were posting FMs as Urban Roads–more accurate as most of them have had neither a farm nor a market along them for years, but some people started bitching because they like being associated with the rugged individualistic Texas farmer stereotype that the FM signs conjure up.

Ranch Road 1 is a special exception because they wanted to put LBJ on a pedestal, so they made him a special road running to his old ranch. GWB never got a Ranch Road 2 to his ranch.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 19, 2021, 01:40:29 AM

Political reasons. Agriculture people in the area where RMs are posted identify as "ranchers" and not "farmers" and get whiny if you call them farmers. Likewise when they were posting FMs as Urban Roads–more accurate as most of them have had neither a farm nor a market along them for years, but some people started bitching because they like being associated with the rugged individualistic Texas farmer stereotype that the FM signs conjure up.

Ranch Road 1 is a special exception because they wanted to put LBJ on a pedestal, so they made him a special road running to his old ranch. GWB never got a Ranch Road 2 to his ranch.

Furthermore, in reply to the bolded statement:  Legally speaking, they are the same.  Besides, all the shields look exactly the same except for the FARM/RANCH or FM/RM distinction.
Male pronouns, please.

ski-man

Quote from: kphoger on February 19, 2021, 10:22:53 AM

Furthermore, in reply to the bolded statement:  Legally speaking, they are the same.  Besides, all the shields look exactly the same except for the FARM/RANCH or FM/RM distinction.

I am not sure they all come from the same pool of numbers. You have Loop 360 in Austin and Texas 360 in D/FW area. Also have Loop 1 (Mo-Pac) in Austin as well.

kphoger

Quote from: ski-man on February 19, 2021, 01:00:46 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 19, 2021, 10:22:53 AM

I am not sure they all come from the same pool of numbers. You have Loop 360 in Austin and Texas 360 in D/FW area. Also have Loop 1 (Mo-Pac) in Austin as well.

That's LOOP.

I was talking about FM/RM.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: ski-man on February 19, 2021, 01:00:46 PM

What I am getting from this post is that Austin gets all the cool numbers. Don't they have an FM 2222 or something like that too?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Echostatic

We've got FM/RM 2222 and 2244.
Travelled in part or in full.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.