News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 101 and CA 20 in Willits

Started by Max Rockatansky, March 05, 2021, 11:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Willits of central Mendocino County was part of a major US Route 101 realignment project on the Willits Bypass which was completed in 2016.  Prior to the modern Willits Bypass and the 1969 leg of the Willits Freeway the alignment of US Route 101 was carried through the community via Main Street and what is now Walker Road.  US Route 101 in Willits was joined by California State Route 20 during 1957 and had a planned freeway bypass which was adopted in 1963.  Willits on the whole is an interesting transportation corridor due to being the locale of a segment of the Redwood Highway completed in 1917, the east terminus of the California Western Railroad and a stop on Northwestern Pacific Railroad.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/03/us-route-101-and-california-state-route.html

nexus73

Going through Willets before the bypass was a real slog.  I wonder how in-town traffic is doing now?  The other questions are how long until the bypass is expanded to 4-lanes with expressway going north to Laytonville?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

I recall it being generally backed up and kind of a pain to drive through Willits before the Bypass.  I never found Laytonville all that notable but I would attribute it being a much smaller community which allows traffic flow more smoothly.

kkt

The other question is really how long the backup is along the 2-lane section of the bypass?

Funny about the clearance of the railroad bridge over Walker Rd.  From the south side, in google images it looks pretty clear at 14 ft 10 in.  But from the north side it looks like 14 ft 0 in, or possible the 1 in the tens of inches place has been faded or vandalized, and the 0 looks like it might be a little pinched in the waist like it was an 8 but the crossbar is faded.  Who's in charge of posting clearance signs on relinquished ROW?  The city?  The railroad?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on March 06, 2021, 12:40:20 PM
The other question is really how long the backup is along the 2-lane section of the bypass?

Funny about the clearance of the railroad bridge over Walker Rd.  From the south side, in google images it looks pretty clear at 14 ft 10 in.  But from the north side it looks like 14 ft 0 in, or possible the 1 in the tens of inches place has been faded or vandalized, and the 0 looks like it might be a little pinched in the waist like it was an 8 but the crossbar is faded.  Who's in charge of posting clearance signs on relinquished ROW?  The city?  The railroad?

I would assume the railroad but I can't imagine that they would since the line essentially is non operating at this point.  The GSV shows the height placards on Walker Road but they weren't present anymore when I took my photos.  I want to say the rail subway is outside of the Willits City limit?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.