What major-league baseball teams can you watch in states that don't have them?

Started by KCRoadFan, April 22, 2021, 07:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 23, 2021, 10:23:01 PM
I don't see where Vermont would have any ties to the Blue Jays. It's a New England state I would think the Red Sox dominate it.

Correct on both counts, although the Sox don't completely dominate the state.  Bennington County in particular has a number of Yankees fans, though it doesn't hurt that they're primarily in the Albany TV market (that said, I know from personal experience that you can still get Burlington stations there).  Very few Mets fans up here, though.

While Vermont historically had ties to the Expos (and briefly to the Nats even after the team move), they recently had (until last year's Minor League reorganization) a farm team that fell under the Oakland A's umbrella...

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 23, 2021, 10:45:50 PM
I think that the Canadiens have somewhat of a following in Northern New England.

Yes they do, at least in northern Vermont.  Hockey is more of a mixed bag in Vermont than baseball, at least as far as fan base.  It's split between the Habs (Canadiens), Bruins, and Rangers.  The Islanders are like the Mets and get basically no love...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: froggie on April 30, 2021, 02:14:49 AM
I don't see where Vermont would have any ties to the Blue Jays. It's a New England state I would think the Red Sox dominate it.

Correct on both counts, although the Sox don't completely dominate the state.  Bennington County in particular has a number of Yankees fans, though it doesn't hurt that they're primarily in the Albany TV market (that said, I know from personal experience that you can still get Burlington stations there).  Very few Mets fans up here, though.

While Vermont historically had ties to the Expos (and briefly to the Nats even after the team move), they recently had (until last year's Minor League reorganization) a farm team that fell under the Oakland A's umbrella...

I think that the Canadiens have somewhat of a following in Northern New England.

Yes they do, at least in northern Vermont.  Hockey is more of a mixed bag in Vermont than baseball, at least as far as fan base.  It's split between the Habs (Canadiens), Bruins, and Rangers.  The Islanders are like the Mets and get basically no love...
The Islanders fanbase is probably exclusive to Long Island.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 29, 2021, 10:10:28 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 28, 2021, 11:07:47 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 28, 2021, 11:01:17 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on April 28, 2021, 10:23:39 PM
IMHO, here is how the MLB territories should be (by DMA; map of DMAs and radio markets can be found at https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Arbitron/Market-Maps/Nielsen-Market-Map-Fall%202020.pdf):
Arizona: Albuquerque/Santa Fe, Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma/El Centro
Atlanta: Albany (GA), Atlanta, Augusta, Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston (SC), Charlotte, Chattanooga, Columbia (SC), Columbus (GA), Columbus/Tupelo/West Point, Dothan, Florence/Myrtle Beach, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, Greenville/New Bern/Jacksonville, Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, Greenwood/Greenville, Gulfport/Biloxi, Hattiesburg/Laurel, Huntsville/Decatur, Jackson (MS), Jackson (TN), Jacksonville, Knoxville, Macon, Memphis, Meridian, Mobile/Pensacola/Fort Walton Beach, Montgomery, Nashville, Panama City, Raleigh/Durham, Savannah, Tallahassee, Wilmington
Baltimore and Washington: Baltimore, Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, Harrisonburg, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Richmond, Roanoke/Lynchburg, Washington DC
Boston: Albany/Schenectady, Bangor, Boston, Burlington/Plattsburgh, Hartford/New Haven, Portland (ME), Presque Isle, Providence/New Bedford, Springfield (MA)
Chicago (both): Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Champaign/Springfield/Decatur, Chicago, Des Moines, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Lafayette (IN), Ottumwa/Kirksville, Peoria/Bloomington, Quad Cities, Quincy/Hannibal/Keokuk, Rockford, South Bend/Elkhart, Terre Haute
Cincinnati: Bluefield/Beckley/Oak Hill, Bowling Green, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston/Huntington, Cincinnati, Columbus (OH), Dayton, Evansville, Indianapolis, Knoxville, Lexington, Lima, Louisville, Nashville, Parkersburg/Marietta, Zanesville
Cleveland: Cleveland, Columbus (OH), Erie, Lima, Toledo, Wheeling/Steubenville, Youngstown, Zanesville
Colorado: Albuquerque/Santa Fe, Billings, Butte/Bozeman, Casper/Riverton, Cheyenne/Scottsbluff, Colorado Springs/Pueblo, Denver, Grand Junction, Great Falls, Helena, Rapid City, Salt Lake City
Detroit: Alpena, Detroit, Flint/Saginaw/Bay City, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Lansing, Marquette, South Bend/Elkhart, Toledo, Traverse City/Cadillac
Houston: Alexandria (LA), Austin, Baton Rouge, Beaumont/Port Arthur, Corpus Christi, Houston, Lafayette (LA), Lake Charles, Laredo, McAllen/Brownsville/Harlingen, New Orleans, San Antonio, Victoria, Waco/Temple/Bryan
Kansas City: Columbia (MO), Des Moines, Joplin/Pittsburg, Kansas City, Lincoln/Hastings/Kearney, North Platte, Omaha, Ottumwa/Kirksville, St. Joseph, Sioux City, Springfield (MO), Topeka, Wichita/Hutchinson
Los Angeles (both): Bakersfield, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo
Miami: Fort Myers/Naples, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach/Fort Pierce
Milwaukee: Eau Claire/La Crosse, Green Bay/Appleton, Madison, Milwaukee, Wausau/Rhinelander
Minnesota: Bismarck/Minot/Williston/Dickinson, Des Moines, Duluth/Superior, Fargo/Grand Forks, Glendive, Mankato, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Rochester/Austin/Mason City, Sioux City, Sioux Falls
New York (both): Albany/Schenectady, Binghamton, Buffalo, Burlington/Plattsburgh, Elmira/Corning, Hartford/New Haven, New York City, Rochester (NY), Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Syracuse, Utica/Rome, Watertown
Philadelphia: Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, Philadelphia, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
Pittsburgh: Clarksburg/Weston, Erie, Johnstown/Altoona/State College, Pittsburgh, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Wheeling/Steubenville, Youngstown
San Diego: San Diego, Yuma/El Centro
San Francisco and Oakland: Chico/Redding, Eureka, Fresno, Medford/Klamath Falls, Monterey/Salinas, Reno, Sacramento/Stockton, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
Seattle: Bend, Boise, Eugene, Idaho Falls/Pocatello, Missoula/Kalispell, Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma, Spokane, Twin Falls, Yakima/Tri-Cities
St. Louis: Champaign/Springfield/Decatur, Columbia (MO), Evansville, Jackson (TN), Jonesboro, Memphis, Ottumwa/Kirksville, Paducah/Cape Girardeau, Peoria/Bloomington, Quincy/Hannibal/Keokuk, St. Louis, Springfield (MO), Terre Haute
Tampa Bay: Fort Myers/Naples, Gainesville/Ocala, Orlando/Daytona Beach/Melbourne, Tampa/St. Petersburg
Texas: Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, El Paso/Las Cruces, Fort Smith/Fayetteville, Little Rock, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Monroe/El Dorado, Oklahoma City, San Angelo, San Antonio, Sherman/Ada, Shreveport/Texarkana, Tulsa, Tyler/Longview, Waco/Temple/Bryan, Wichita Falls/Lawton

The Blue Jays would have all of Canada, as well as the Buffalo and Rochester (NY) DMAs. The Jays would share southwestern Ontario and Algoma District (Soo Ontario) with the Tigers.

I realize that the Nats have made little inroads down there but I'm not sure I agree with assigning Raleigh-Durham to Atlanta. That's too far north for my taste and seems to artificially limit the Nats's ability to expand south. DC is substantially closer than Atlanta.
The Braves have a much larger fanbase in the South due to being around for longer.
The Braves have a large following due to being on the TBS Superstation for years and they were good for many years too.

I know a guy from Raleigh who went with the Cubs because of WGN but this is generally true here. The Braves developed a large fanbase because they were on TBS and were a damn good team in the 90s.

The Braves shouldn't just arbitrarily be given the South because they were the first one there. DC and Baltimore are closer than Atlanta to Raleigh (and much of eastern NC) and Philadelphia isn't that much farther away from Raleigh/Durham. There's no logical reason to give the Braves all of North Carolina other than some desire to lump all of the South together.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: The Nature Boy on April 30, 2021, 12:13:36 PM
IMHO, here is how the MLB territories should be (by DMA; map of DMAs and radio markets can be found at https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Arbitron/Market-Maps/Nielsen-Market-Map-Fall%202020.pdf):
Atlanta: Albany (GA), Atlanta, Augusta, Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston (SC), Charlotte, Chattanooga, Columbia (SC), Columbus (GA), Columbus/Tupelo/West Point, Dothan, Florence/Myrtle Beach, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, Greenville/New Bern/Jacksonville, Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, Greenwood/Greenville, Gulfport/Biloxi, Hattiesburg/Laurel, Huntsville/Decatur, Jackson (MS), Jackson (TN), Jacksonville, Knoxville, Macon, Memphis, Meridian, Mobile/Pensacola/Fort Walton Beach, Montgomery, Nashville, Panama City, Raleigh/Durham, Savannah, Tallahassee, Wilmington
Baltimore and Washington: Baltimore, Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, Harrisonburg, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Richmond, Roanoke/Lynchburg, Washington DC
Boston: Albany/Schenectady, Bangor, Boston, Burlington/Plattsburgh, Hartford/New Haven, Portland (ME), Presque Isle, Providence/New Bedford, Springfield (MA)
Chicago (both): Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Champaign/Springfield/Decatur, Chicago, Des Moines, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Lafayette (IN), Ottumwa/Kirksville, Peoria/Bloomington, Quad Cities, Quincy/Hannibal/Keokuk, Rockford, South Bend/Elkhart, Terre Haute
Cincinnati: Bluefield/Beckley/Oak Hill, Bowling Green, Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City, Charleston/Huntington, Cincinnati, Columbus (OH), Dayton, Evansville, Indianapolis, Knoxville, Lexington, Lima, Louisville, Nashville, Parkersburg/Marietta, Zanesville
Cleveland: Cleveland, Columbus (OH), Erie, Lima, Toledo, Wheeling/Steubenville, Youngstown, Zanesville
Colorado: Albuquerque/Santa Fe, Billings, Butte/Bozeman, Casper/Riverton, Cheyenne/Scottsbluff, Colorado Springs/Pueblo, Denver, Grand Junction, Great Falls, Helena, Rapid City, Salt Lake City
Detroit: Alpena, Detroit, Flint/Saginaw/Bay City, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Lansing, Marquette, South Bend/Elkhart, Toledo, Traverse City/Cadillac
Houston: Alexandria (LA), Austin, Baton Rouge, Beaumont/Port Arthur, Corpus Christi, Houston, Lafayette (LA), Lake Charles, Laredo, McAllen/Brownsville/Harlingen, New Orleans, San Antonio, Victoria, Waco/Temple/Bryan
Kansas City: Columbia (MO), Des Moines, Joplin/Pittsburg, Kansas City, Lincoln/Hastings/Kearney, North Platte, Omaha, Ottumwa/Kirksville, St. Joseph, Sioux City, Springfield (MO), Topeka, Wichita/Hutchinson
Los Angeles (both): Bakersfield, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo
Milwaukee: Eau Claire/La Crosse, Green Bay/Appleton, Madison, Milwaukee, Wausau/Rhinelander
Minnesota: Bismarck/Minot/Williston/Dickinson, Des Moines, Duluth/Superior, Fargo/Grand Forks, Glendive, Mankato, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Rochester/Austin/Mason City, Sioux City, Sioux Falls
New York (both): Albany/Schenectady, Binghamton, Buffalo, Burlington/Plattsburgh, Elmira/Corning, Hartford/New Haven, New York City, Rochester (NY), Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Syracuse, Utica/Rome, Watertown
Pittsburgh: Clarksburg/Weston, Erie, Johnstown/Altoona/State College, Pittsburgh, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Wheeling/Steubenville, Youngstown
San Francisco and Oakland: Chico/Redding, Eureka, Fresno, Medford/Klamath Falls, Monterey/Salinas, Reno, Sacramento/Stockton, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
Seattle: Bend, Boise, Eugene, Idaho Falls/Pocatello, Missoula/Kalispell, Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma, Spokane, Twin Falls, Yakima/Tri-Cities
St. Louis: Champaign/Springfield/Decatur, Columbia (MO), Evansville, Jackson (TN), Jonesboro, Memphis, Ottumwa/Kirksville, Paducah/Cape Girardeau, Peoria/Bloomington, Quincy/Hannibal/Keokuk, St. Louis, Springfield (MO), Terre Haute
Tampa Bay: Fort Myers/Naples, Gainesville/Ocala, Orlando/Daytona Beach/Melbourne, Tampa/St. Petersburg
Texas: Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Dallas/Fort Worth, El Paso/Las Cruces, Fort Smith/Fayetteville, Little Rock, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Monroe/El Dorado, Oklahoma City, San Angelo, San Antonio, Sherman/Ada, Shreveport/Texarkana, Tulsa, Tyler/Longview, Waco/Temple/Bryan, Wichita Falls/Lawton

The Blue Jays would have all of Canada, as well as the Buffalo and Rochester (NY) DMAs. The Jays would share southwestern Ontario and Algoma District (Soo Ontario) with the Tigers.

I realize that the Nats have made little inroads down there but I'm not sure I agree with assigning Raleigh-Durham to Atlanta. That's too far north for my taste and seems to artificially limit the Nats's ability to expand south. DC is substantially closer than Atlanta.
The Braves have a much larger fanbase in the South due to being around for longer.
The Braves have a large following due to being on the TBS Superstation for years and they were good for many years too.

I know a guy from Raleigh who went with the Cubs because of WGN but this is generally true here. The Braves developed a large fanbase because they were on TBS and were a damn good team in the 90s.

The Braves shouldn't just arbitrarily be given the South because they were the first one there. DC and Baltimore are closer than Atlanta to Raleigh (and much of eastern NC) and Philadelphia isn't that much farther away from Raleigh/Durham. There's no logical reason to give the Braves all of North Carolina other than some desire to lump all of the South together.
Do people in North Carolina identify more with Georgia or Maryland/DC?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 12:20:25 PM

Atlanta teams in the parts I'm familiar with.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 08:07:30 AM

Nah. They have some support throughout the NYC metro area, often from fans who don't like the team considered local (either Devils or Rangers).

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on April 30, 2021, 03:08:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 08:07:30 AM

Nah. They have some support throughout the NYC metro area, often from fans who don't like the team considered local (either Devils or Rangers).
Mostly Brooklyn/Queens or all over?

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2021, 12:20:25 PM

In my experience, Charlotte for sports and then baseball is a hodge podge. Definitely Braves more than others as a hold over from the TBS deal but I wouldn't say that they identify with either Georgia or Maryland/DC. NC is its own sports market with three out of the four major sports. I don't think it fits into either DC or Atlanta sports.

For what it's worth, the Braves Radio Network doesn't go north of Fayetteville and the Nats have affiliates in OBX, Greenville, and New Bern. You can't actually get baseball on the radio in RDU or the Triad area.

I'd give everything from Raleigh to the coast to the Nats, so the Raleigh/Durham, Greenville/New Bern, and Wilmington markets while the Braves get the rest of the state. The Braves get the portions along I-95 south of Fayetteville because of their inclusion in the Florence/Myrtle Beach market.

CoreySamson

I think the Astros don't have much of a following outside of southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana. San Antonio, Waco/Temple and Austin are split about 60/40 between the Rangers and Astros; New Orleans is likely Braves or Yankees territory; and I don't really think the RGV or Laredo really cares for baseball that much.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Flint1979

I'm a White Sox fan but I watched a lot of Braves games growing up and rooted for them since they were an NL team and this was before Interleague play. As a fan of an AL team you never saw the NL unless it as an exhibition game, the All-Star game or the World Series and vice versa for NL fans for AL teams. I watched the Tigers, Braves, Cubs and White Sox growing up. I never liked the Cubs but I watched them just so I could laugh at Harry Caray while he was up there in the booth plastered out of his mind and those big coke bottle sized glasses he use to wear lmao.

I thought the Hawk and Wimpy show on the Southside of town was better though. I liked the exploding scoreboard and Frank Thomas was my favorite player in the game at that point. I also liked Jack McDowell who I have become friends with and know personally.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 03, 2021, 12:21:26 PM
I think the Astros don't have much of a following outside of southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana. San Antonio, Waco/Temple and Austin are split about 60/40 between the Rangers and Astros; New Orleans is likely Braves or Yankees territory; and I don't really think the RGV or Laredo really cares for baseball that much.
They need to be in someone's TV market. And not the Yankees because fuck em.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 01:47:46 PM
Excuse me? I'm a Yanks fan, how dare you use the f-bomb on us.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 03, 2021, 03:23:25 PM
You look like a Cubs fan to me.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 04:32:46 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 03, 2021, 03:23:25 PM
You look like a Cubs fan to me.
I'm also a Cubs fan, but that wouldn't have been prior to 2016. I'll be more of a Indians fan once they change their name...unless the plan falls through (wouldn't surprise me if that were to happen, or if they go with what the Football Team did and call themselves the Baseball Team, even worse than the Deadskins' approach). Marlins/Devil Rays (don't like what TB did with shortening their name, and their logo isn't what Miami's is, and TB hasn't won a World Series yet) as a Florida resident.

Flint1979

Roadgeekteen

kevinb1994

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2021, 04:47:24 PM
Screw all teams not named the Chicago White Sox.
C'mon, don't make the thread worse for the eyes, and make it susceptible for locking.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 04:50:33 PM
Suprised that you aren't a Tigers fan.
I use to not mind the Tigers but now I pretty much hate them. The Red Wings are the only Detroit team I can tolerate. I hate the Lions with a passion.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 03, 2021, 05:01:03 PM
I use to not mind the Tigers but now I pretty much hate them. The Red Wings are the only Detroit team I can tolerate. I hate the Lions with a passion.
Well now, there's something I can agree with, I'm not even a Lions fan myself. No comment on the Jags. Gotta see what they do this upcoming season.

Roadgeekteen

Are you a Chicago sports fan? And why?

Flint1979

Quote from: kevinb1994 on May 03, 2021, 04:57:51 PM
C'mon, don't make the thread worse for the eyes, and make it susceptible for locking.
Cubs fans do that lol.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 05:02:27 PM
He's already mentioned elsewhere why he is.

kevinb1994

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2021, 05:02:27 PM
The White Sox because they were on TV a lot in the 80's and I liked their old stadium and then Frank Thomas was my favorite player growing up so I just have liked the same team all along. My dad tried making me into a Tigers fan and I wasn't interested. It wasn't like it is now with the internet and MLB Extra Innings and all that stuff, the only teams you got were your local team, the Cubs, White Sox and Braves due to WGN and TBS.

I'm not a basketball fan so I don't have to discuss the Bulls too much but I was when Michael Jordan was playing so that one was easy to follow they won a lot and were on TV all the time but I haven't followed the NBA in years.

For hockey I just followed the Hawks because of Chicago but the Wings were winning so it was harder to like the Hawks over the Wings and the Hawks had a terrible owner named Bill Wirtz who wouldn't broadcast home games on TV because he felt it was unfair to season ticket holders, he was called Dollar Bill for a reason. His son took over after he died in about 2007 just before the Hawks got good. And I hadn't been following it for a few years so I like Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews so I started following the Hawks more.

For football the Bears were an easy choice, they are Chicago's #1 team and I can't stand the Lions so I have always liked the Bears and I hate the Packers and Vikings too. I guess I could have went with the Colts (Indiana's team). I lived in Indiana for several years. But that's pretty much why I like Chicago's team plus I love the city of Chicago, the El, the food, the lakefront, the downtown skyline it all goes well together.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.