News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs That Lack Context

Started by webny99, May 05, 2021, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on May 07, 2021, 10:39:18 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2021, 10:09:04 PM
Really, all you need to fix it is an exit tab.

For supplementary signage, NY typically lists the exit number at the bottom, not on an exit tab. Here's the sign in the opposite direction (which also spells out "College" instead of abbreviating it as "Coll").

I agree, that's the ideal layout, but an exit tab would at least make it possible to fix the sign in a logical manner without replacing the whole panel.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2021, 10:45:53 PM

For supplementary signage, NY typically lists the exit number at the bottom, not on an exit tab. Here's the sign in the opposite direction (which also spells out "College" instead of abbreviating it as "Coll").

I agree, that's the ideal layout, but an exit tab would at least make it possible to fix the sign in a logical manner without replacing the whole panel.

Others could confirm this, but I believe if they did add an exit tab, it would be the first of its kind in the entire state. Ohio uses tabs, and that really threw me off at first until I got used to it. Of course, NYSDOT was pretty quick about replacing a sign with a minor spelling error, so you'd think it wouldn't be too big a deal to just replace the whole panel.

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on May 07, 2021, 10:59:29 PM

Others could confirm this, but I believe if they did add an exit tab, it would be the first of its kind in the entire state. Ohio uses tabs, and that really threw me off at first until I got used to it. Of course, NYSDOT was pretty quick about replacing a sign with a minor spelling error, so you'd think it wouldn't be too big a deal to just replace the whole panel.
Ohio is the only state I can think of that uses exit tabs for points of interest signage. Here's a gantry of them on I-71 SB heading towards downtown Cincinnati. Though on freeways without exit numbers (and some with exit numbers for some reason like Ohio State on OH 315 and Kings Island on I-71), they have "NEXT EXIT" on the bottom line where most states place the exit number.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 07, 2021, 11:31:07 PM

Ohio is the only state I can think of that uses exit tabs for points of interest signage. Here's a gantry of them on I-71 SB heading towards downtown Cincinnati. Though on freeways without exit numbers (and OH 315 for some reason even though there are exit numbers), they have "NEXT EXIT" on the bottom line where most states place the exit number.

I'm pretty sure ADOT in Arizona also uses external tabs for points of interest.

Example on AZ-101

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

sprjus4

Virginia has at least one example.

Ironically, the sign that was previously there before that segment underwent a major widening project used the traditional underneath format.

index

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5316668,-77.4428026,3a,75y,42.3h,115.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKYDmIpd9lwM94zCtwe4DYA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

I always found this sign confusing. It's too cluttered and weird, the arrangement is horrible in general...Which one is the toll route? Which one of them is Canal/Byrd street, is it synonymous with one of the roads or does it take you there? Is it a destination, does 195 take you to that destination, or do you take that to the destination?

I know where they go, but seeing this for the first time I had trouble parsing it. And the "TO" placement isn't very obvious/helpful.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 07, 2021, 11:33:02 PM

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 07, 2021, 11:31:07 PM

Ohio is the only state I can think of that uses exit tabs for points of interest signage. Here's a gantry of them on I-71 SB heading towards downtown Cincinnati. Though on freeways without exit numbers (and OH 315 for some reason even though there are exit numbers), they have "NEXT EXIT" on the bottom line where most states place the exit number.

I'm pretty sure ADOT in Arizona also uses external tabs for points of interest.

Example on AZ-101

Then, of course, there's the I-70 exit in Colorado that's nothing but a point of interest (and a rest area).  And the other one just down the road.  And the other other one just down the road.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

MCRoads

Quote from: formulanone on May 06, 2021, 02:57:24 PM
Don't block the intersection/driveway means enough, but I'd never noticed what the "X" meant until seeing the worn paint on the road.

Since I can't find a response to this, the X sign is probably referring to the pavement markings on the roadway. This identifies the clear zone more effectively .
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Scott5114

They made a Do Not Block Driveway X? I thought the series started to go downhill after Do Not Block Driveway VI. The writers were clearly running out of ideas by then.

jay8g

TO

The I-5 part of the sign has been missing for nearly a decade now. As a bonus, this sign used to be the weird Seattle style with a separate TO plaque above a green sign with the route shield and arrow on it (I have to wonder where that style came from). These days, new Seattle signs just ignore the "TO" part.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 15, 2021, 09:44:38 PM
They made a Do Not Block Driveway X? I thought the series started to go downhill after Do Not Block Driveway VI. The writers were clearly running out of ideas by then.

Only Malcolm X is disallowed to block that particular driveway.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

machias

Not surprisingly, this is a "replace in kind" of the button copy version (from the mid 1980s) that was there before that.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on June 08, 2021, 10:13:22 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/33706963921
I-49 south in Missouri near I-44 and MO 59.

???

The sign is telling you that the George Washington Carver National Monument is reached by way of 59 South.  How is that lacking context more than, say, this?
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

I noticed driving on I-80/I-94 on the Borman yesterday new signs for the Cline Avenue toll bridge exit. There's at least two signs facing westbound traffic alone that literally just say that there is an exit for Cline Avenue, with a yellow TOLL BRIDGE banner on it. No distances, no other context. IIRC, they also featured the 3/4ths error. Couldn't get a photo though.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2021, 09:24:14 AM

???

The sign is telling you that the George Washington Carver National Monument is reached by way of 59 South.  How is that lacking context more than, say, this?

Ideally, the order would be reversed. That could be interpreted as: 59 South is reached by way of the George Washington Carver National Monument.

My preference would be
[attraction]
USE [route number/direction] -- or -- [exit number]

stevashe

Quote from: webny99 on June 09, 2021, 12:03:08 PM

???

Ideally, the order would be reversed. That could be interpreted as: 59 South is reached by way of the George Washington Carver National Monument.

My preference would be
[attraction]

Exactly, Washington does this, but with FOLLOW instead of USE: https://goo.gl/maps/HGXDtiAW9NAdRYeg6

The way that sign is written, it could also be interpreted that MO-59 is the National Monument itself  :spin:

vdeane

Quote from: stevashe on June 10, 2021, 11:07:00 AM
Quote from: webny99 on June 09, 2021, 12:03:08 PM

???

My preference would be
[attraction]

Exactly, Washington does this, but with FOLLOW instead of USE: https://goo.gl/maps/HGXDtiAW9NAdRYeg6

The way that sign is written, it could also be interpreted that MO-59 is the National Monument itself  :spin:
If you saw a city name there, would you assume that MO 59 was the city?  It's being used as a control city.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

So what's really wrong with it is that it is designed like a pull-thru for MO 59 when it's not actually on that highway.

stevashe

Yeah that would work, Scott.

To directly answer vdeane, if I saw a control city there, I would wonder what happened to the action message. You don't just sign an exit with the highway and control, it needs the distance to the exit, or an arrow if the sign is at the exit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.