News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you get more UPS or FedEx packages shipped to your home?

Started by Pink Jazz, May 11, 2021, 03:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, of the two couriers, which do you get more of shipped to your home, UPS or FedEx?

I tend to buy more from retailers who use UPS, so I generally get more UPS packages.  Many of them are SurePost, and since I am a UPS My Choice Premium member, I upgrade these to Ground.

Scott5114

Most retailers I buy from either use USPS or their own delivery service (e.g. Amazon).

Of the two options presented, I rarely get FedEx packages; almost everything that isn't USPS or Amazon is UPS.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Pink Jazz

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2021, 03:43:37 PM
Two related threads by the same OP; not quite duplicates of this thread (but they are duplicates of each other):

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19624.0
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=22834.0

This thread has nothing to do with Amazon.  It is about UPS and FedEx packages from all retailers in general.

One retailer that I have been buying a lot from that uses UPS is IZOD.  They use UPS SurePost for their standard shipping, and I upgrade those to UPS Ground with my My Choice Premium membership.

Max Rockatansky

USPS by far, I occasionally get something via UPS.  My wife is big into Amazon.

Pink Jazz

As for Amazon most of mine come via Amazon Logistics, with occasional USPS and UPS. eBay is mostly USPS (and Poshmark is USPS exclusively); Kohl's is split between UPS and USPS. Walmart is mostly FedEx.

bing101

In_Correct

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 11, 2021, 03:32:16 PM
I was wondering, of the two couriers, which do you get more of shipped to your home, UPS or FedEx?

I tend to buy more from retailers who use UPS, so I generally get more UPS packages.  Many of them are SurePost, and since I am a UPS My Choice Premium member, I upgrade these to Ground.

I have a very large amount of FedEx Home Delivery. I also order from NewEgg which often uses U.P.S. Mail Innovations. It is stupid and My Choice Premium does not work for it.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

NWI_Irish96

The vast majority of packages arriving at our house are delivered by Amazon, but between UPS and FedEx, it's very close, with a slight edge to UPS.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

Mostly USPS, then FedEx.

However, thinking about it, I think there has been a shift from UPS to FedEx over the past couple of years for whichever vendors I buy from.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

A lot of our deliveries are for my wife's direct sales business, and the carrier used depends on multiple factors–apparently including which distribution center it's coming from, whether it's a limited time offer product, etc.  It's often FedEx, we both prefer UPS, but it isn't up to us.

However, my wife also orders things on Amazon, and we've started getting deliveries by Amazon drivers.  The other day, there was rain in the forecast, we weren't home, and the driver left packages on the step and on the driveway–in full sight of the street, and exposed to the weather–instead of tucking them under the overhang behind some concrete blocks we have on the porch.  My wife had put specific instructions for the driver to put them behind the blocks, and he basically did the opposite.  However, there is apparently no place to type comments about the deliver on Amazon's site.  All you get is basically a multiple choice review option, but none of the options matched her frustration.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pink Jazz

As for other retailers besides Amazon IZOD has really inflated the UPS numbers for me.  They have been offering a lot of free shipping this year; the Van Heusen/IZOD outlets are closing and perhaps they are trying to shift their sales to online, with free shipping as an incentive for loyal customers.

Kohl's used to mostly use FedEx SmartPost (which is now FedEx Ground Economy), but now mostly uses either USPS First Class or UPS SurePost. JCPenney is usually either UPS Mail Innovations or UPS SurePost.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2021, 01:18:14 PM
A lot of our deliveries are for my wife's direct sales business, and the carrier used depends on multiple factors–apparently including which distribution center it's coming from, whether it's a limited time offer product, etc.  It's often FedEx, we both prefer UPS, but it isn't up to us.

However, my wife also orders things on Amazon, and we've started getting deliveries by Amazon drivers.  The other day, there was rain in the forecast, we weren't home, and the driver left packages on the step and on the driveway–in full sight of the street, and exposed to the weather–instead of tucking them under the overhang behind some concrete blocks we have on the porch.  My wife had put specific instructions for the driver to put them behind the blocks, and he basically did the opposite.  However, there is apparently no place to type comments about the deliver on Amazon's site.  All you get is basically a multiple choice review option, but none of the options matched her frustration.

This is par for the course for Amazon customer service in my experience–they don't want to know how you really feel or help you with your problem, they want you to scream your problem into a computerized customer service system so they can send you a form letter about it rather than actually addressing it.

That being said, for deliveries using a third-party carrier (i.e. not Amazon or food delivery) you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you type delivery instructions in the order note box. I got an order through my business website once where the customer used the note box to request that the package be left in a very specific container near her driveway gate. Given that I ship my packages through USPS, this information was of no use to me; my shipping account gives me no mechanism for telling the post office where to leave a package. I just printed the note word-for-word on a separate shipping label and stuck it below the USPS label, so the customer would see that I at least acknowledged her request and made an attempt at getting USPS to fulfill it (I later found out that they ignored it, but the customer was fortunately not upset with me about it, probably because she could plainly see that I wasn't the one who dropped the ball on it).

I have had some carriers wedge packages between the storm and main front doors on my house, which is a tad off-putting because the thought of someone messing with my storm door (even though I don't lock it) feels a bit invasive.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Ha!  I used to drive a route delivering janitorial supplies to businesses in southern Illinois.  I hated not being able to deliver any package, because I'd end up having to try the next day anyway.  I was almost always able to find an unlocked door somewhere:)

Once, I was delivering to a church and all the staff was gone.  I found an unlocked door to the side of the sanctuary, carried my delivery through the sanctuary and through the halls to the secretary's office–all in darkness–and dropped them off there.

My favorite was being able to find an open door in a school building.  The custodians always leave at least one door open somewhere.  The trick is just to figure out which one.  I remember seeing a report on the TV news, wherein the reporter entered a school building and walked around the halls without anyone asking who he was or why he was there.  I turned to my wife and said, "I do that multiple times every day."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

Canada Post and Amazon Flex drivers, because UPS and FedEx are rather expensive here

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.