News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Myths/Misconceptions - Sports Edition

Started by webny99, May 13, 2021, 10:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Until a few years ago, I didn't know A's (as in Oakland A's) was short for Athletics... I guess I just thought the letter A was cool enough to be a name by itself!

Going way back (more than just a few years) I used to think all sports leagues had the same number of teams and same playoff structure. It had never occurred to me that there could be more than one way of structuring a playoff.

Max Rockatansky

thspfc

QuoteMyths - Sports Edition
Chargers fans

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on May 13, 2021, 02:24:35 PM
Chargers fans

I actually knew one in Arizona, otherwise I wouldn't believe they actually exist. 

triplemultiplex

When people describe something that fails to meet expectations as "under par".  As in "This steak is under par".  They are actually saying the exact opposite of what they intended.  Since you win at golf by having the lowest score possible, getting under par is great.  So if that steak sucks, a person should be like, "This steak is way over par."
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 13, 2021, 02:46:51 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 13, 2021, 02:24:35 PM
Chargers fans

I actually knew one in Arizona, otherwise I wouldn't believe they actually exist. 

My wife is nominally one; she grew up in San Diego and watched Chargers and Padres games with her late father. She doesn't actively watch the games now, though. But we do have a Chargers blanket on the couch.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 13, 2021, 04:20:07 PM
When people describe something that fails to meet expectations as "under par".  As in "This steak is under par".  They are actually saying the exact opposite of what they intended.  Since you win at golf by having the lowest score possible, getting under par is great.  So if that steak sucks, a person should be like, "This steak is way over par."

Par is from the Latin word for "equal" and is frequently used outside of golf context to mean "average" (as well as retaining the meaning of "equal", like in the phrase "ODOT signage is on par with what a third grader could do"; this is where we get the word "parity"). So if someone says a steak is "below par" or "subpar" they mean it's below average, and aren't using the word to reference its golf meaning.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

I've never even seen a steak playing golf, tbh.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2021, 12:57:05 PM
I've never even seen a steak playing golf, tbh.

What about a beefcake, though?   :D

Roadgeekteen

If Kevin Dyson scored the Titans would have won the Super Bowl.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SectorZ

That anything someone does in a sporting event is "heroic"

(And yes I know I'm a broken record with this...)

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 01:43:51 PM
Similarly, the Seahawks would have won if they ran the ball.

mgk920

The correct quote from Vince Lombardi was "Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is".

Mike

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on May 13, 2021, 10:18:05 AM
Until a few years ago, I didn't know A's (as in Oakland A's) was short for Athletics... I guess I just thought the letter A was cool enough to be a name by itself!

Going way back (more than just a few years) I used to think all sports leagues had the same number of teams and same playoff structure. It had never occurred to me that there could be more than one way of structuring a playoff.

You probably didn't know they originally played in Philadelphia then either!

OCGuy81

My wife, thinking that the 2 Minute Warning meaning the game will be over in two minutes.  :-D

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 14, 2021, 03:55:08 PM
My wife, thinking that the 2 Minute Warning meaning the game will be over in two minutes.  :-D
Timeout timeout! (5 minute commercial break follows)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

Quote from: SectorZ on May 14, 2021, 02:31:19 PM

I agree, with some notable but rare exceptions. Probably less if you consider "heroic", if you have to die for it.

Mike Hailwood was awarded the George Medal for saving Clay Regazzoni's life.

Lawrence Lemieux, 1988 Olympic sailing

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on May 14, 2021, 03:01:48 PM

Or if the Packers made the right choice to go for the TD rather than kicking the FG.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 14, 2021, 05:44:35 PM

Or if the Packers made the right choice to go for the TD rather than kicking the FG.
Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 05:51:19 PM

People also think it's a given TB wins the game anyway since 2:09 was still left. I see it like this. The FG meant the Bucs basically had to go 10 yards to win instead of 50. If GB gets a TD+2 and ties it, let's say the Bucs start out at their own 25. They probably have to go about 40-45 yards to even *think* about attempting a long FG outdoors in January. Brady did not play well in the 2nd half of that game after the big first half. You have to give teams more chances to make mistakes, and if they beat you, they beat you.

SectorZ

Quote from: formulanone on May 14, 2021, 04:36:40 PM

I agree, with some notable but rare exceptions. Probably less if you consider "heroic", if you have to die for it.

I think I can make a place for those exceptions.

I'll add a local one for me, Red Sox outfielder Jim Rice running into the stands to tend to a young child that took a line drive to the face.

Mapmikey

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 14, 2021, 03:47:08 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 13, 2021, 10:18:05 AM

You probably didn't know they originally played in Philadelphia then either!

Or Kansas City before finally making it to Oakland

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SectorZ on May 14, 2021, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 14, 2021, 04:36:40 PM

I think I can make a place for those exceptions.

I'll add a local one for me, Red Sox outfielder Jim Rice running into the stands to tend to a young child that took a line drive to the face.

Or Rick Monday saving the American flag from extremists who planned to burn it.

webny99

I assume you are stating this as a myth... If so, then yeah, I agree. I believe I've linked to this article before, but here it is again:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-head-coach-botched-the-end-of-the-super-bowl-and-it-wasnt-pete-carroll/

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 14, 2021, 07:46:24 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 05:51:19 PM

People also think it's a given TB wins the game anyway since 2:09 was still left. I see it like this. The FG meant the Bucs basically had to go 10 yards to win instead of 50. If GB gets a TD+2 and ties it, let's say the Bucs start out at their own 25. They probably have to go about 40-45 yards to even *think* about attempting a long FG outdoors in January. Brady did not play well in the 2nd half of that game after the big first half. You have to give teams more chances to make mistakes, and if they beat you, they beat you.

I think they should have gone for it, but it wasn't a terrible, indefensible decision to kick the FG. Sure, TB might not have gone down the field, but the odds were stacked against the Packers defense, and the Packers would have had to get a stop and score again to win in regulation regardless.

thspfc

I typically am on the more conservative side when it comes to taking the field goal vs risking it for the touchdown, but I think that was an awful decision by LaFleur, and it's really the only time I haven't been impressed with LaFleur during his tenure. If the Packers had gotten that two point conversion earlier in the game I would agree with kicking the field goal to make it a 3 point game, but a 5 point game vs an 8 point game with two minutes left is really no difference; either way it's a very tall task because you have to get the ball back right away, hope for decent field position, and then go down the field again - but this time you actually have to score a touchdown . And that's not even accounting for the fact that the guy on the other side was none other than Thomas Edward Patrick Brady. I don't care if he had a down game, he is still one of the most clutch athletes who has ever lived.

Here are the possible scenarios:

1. Exactly what happened: Packers kick the FG, Bucs run the clock out and win.
2. Packers kick the FG, get the ball back with about 1:30 left, and aren't able to score a touchdown. Bucs win.
3. Packers go for it and don't get it. Bucs have the ball inside their own 10. So it's basically as if the Packers kicked the field goal, except better because of the Bucs' poor field position.
4. Packers go for it and don't get it, but get very close. Bucs are in the shadow of their own goalposts. Packers get a safety and get the ball back.
5. Packers go for it and score, but don't get the conversion. So it's the same as the field goal, except much better because they now only need a stop and a field goal rather than a stop and a touchdown.
6. Packers go for it and score, and get the conversion. Tied game. Granted, history tells us that there's a 99% chance that Brady leads the Bucs' offense down th- shhhhh, that's not my point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.